ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 27th August 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well folks, August is drawing to a close and the seasons are about to change.This signals a return to work for many after the holiday season and it’s important to stay focused, so here I am renewing the weekly thread. Thank you dear Kafin for looking after us all while you yourself have been frantically busy.
    So if you want a manageable short term , weekly target to keep you motivated, join us on the thread and let us know how you are getting on, whatever stage you are at. This is a useful thread to run alongside our sister monthly thread and as always you will be welomed and supported with care and respect.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Thank you, Wendy!! I’m sleeping today after finally wrapping at 3am this morning. I have two days off and then three days of work to tie up loose ends. And a Hollywood wrap party in Wednesday night. Normally I work on tv commercials and we don’t have wrap parties as they’re shorter. So this will be my first one and it’s at a fancy place in the Hollywood Hills so will be an interesting experience!
    I’m pretty happy with how I’ve managed my eating and eating responses while I’ve been working crazy hours and somewhat subject to catering and grab and go food. I’ve hefted a lot of boxes around and built some muscle so all in all, it’s been a busy but good month.
    Hope to see everyone over here for the start of another week xx

• posted by Coriander
    on

I’ve just started my 8-week plan today (26th Aug), and despite a couple of stressful ‘life’ episodes which would normally have me burying my head in chocolate, I managed not to comfort eat and achieved a calorie intake of just a tad over 700 cals. I wasn’t particularly hungry at breakfast time, so had a couple of decaf coffees with oat milk. I then had a bowl of porridge with a bit of fruit at about 2pm, 4 slices of Tofurky as a snack, and a large vegan cheese salad for tea. I finished off the day with two more decaf coffees. I’m trying to keep my eating window between the hours of 10am and 6pm. It’s now 9.40pm and I’m not that hungry, nor do I have any cravings. Long may that continue!

Hope you’ve all had a good day, too.

Best wishes.

• posted by Coriander
    on

A wrap party in the Hollywood Hills? That sounds very glamorous, Kafin!

Glad you’ve had a good month 🙂

xx

• posted by Cheggars25
    on

Hi all, starting tomorrow with 3 shakes and a meal to kick start for 2 weeks, before going onto full foods. Good luck to all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Well done Kafin ! Not just for getting through the frantic work shedules with outstanding success, but for managing to avoid the many temptations ! You so deserve a couple of days off and we will want to know all about your Hollywood party ! !
    Good to see you on the thread, Coriander and welcome ! Are you doing the Fast 800 ? If you need any tips and advice about balancing your meals to keep them low carb, give us a shout. That’s great that you don’ t have any cravings.They will certainly ease as you progress . Just a gentle suggestion..oats are pretty heavy on the carbs. Could you consider an egg -based meal or are you eating totally vegan ? I had to look up Tofurkey !
    We often recommend the dietdoctor website and I saw they had some low carb vegan recipes on there you could check out ?
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes
    All the very best to you , Coriander !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Cheggars25 ! Welcome to the thread ! I am not sure I would enjoy the shakes plan …is it a transition strategy ? Could you not just progressively ease into low carb over the 2 weeks ? I believe starting out eating low carb foods would be more satisfying and enjoyable ? This would also enable you to cope with any keto flu type side effects of low carb eating in the early stages .
    Not telling you what to do, Cheggars but I am a bit funny about shakes and fake foods. There are so many other delicious foods you could enjoy ..
    I saw that Allie and Esnecca gave you similar advice about meal replacements in March/April ? Let us know how you wish to proceed and we will give you all the help we can.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Cheggars, – I was just being noisy and searched for the ingredients list of the shakes that you previously mentioned using. – They are 18g of carbs each, so you are going to be upto 54g of carbs a day before you consider the number of carbs in your meal.

They also have artificial sweeteners, which will trigger an insulin response on its own even if they didn’t have carbs.

If you are having three of these a day as well as a meal thats 4 insulin responses you are going to trigger, making it much harder to break free from the desire to eat.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I felt I had to share points of an article I have just read in todays “Times” – Dieticians are preposing the creation of a new eating disorder, Orthorexia, an obsession with eating healthy food which comes from following the advice of people using social media. Evidence is due to be submitted to the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders to make the case for orthorexia to be recognised officially.

– “Seeing images on social media of tanned, glowing people looking happy, who claim that they got there through so-called ‘healthy’ eating, then makes these more susceptible people buy into that lifestyle too.”
    “It’s very difficult to diagnose as it is not always linked to weight or body image,” she said. “It’s more a psychological compulsion and an inability to deviate. They just physically can’t eat something like a pizza or cake.

————–
    You couldn’t make it up!!!!

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi everyone, I barely joined in with last week’s thread, despite Kafin’s outstanding hosting efforts, so I’m hoping to do better this week.

JGwen, that article made me check the date, wondering if I’d somehow lost 6 months and it was April already! <shakes head in disbelief>

Not a lot of updates from me, I’m just plugging away. I was going to do an egg fast like Wendleg at the start of this week, but that didn’t quite come off. And then I was just going to do a water fast, but that didn’t come off either… However tomorrow is another day!

I’m keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll meet my Attentively Awesome August goal, though I must admit that I’m not confident… But then if it was a dead cert it wouldn’t be called a goal, would it 😊

And if I don’t quite get there, then I can always roll it into September’s goal…

6T, what are we calling September? Do we know yet?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Where is 6T ??? You are missed 6T.
    BeeGirl is away. Hope you are having a good time BG. I know I’m a bit of a clucking hen but I still worry about Amz and wish she would come back….same for all those who have not felt able to continue, for whatever reason.
    Come back and give it another go !
    So…I really hope everyone from last week’s and previous weekly threads can let us know how they are getting on. I would like to hear from Scottishgal too. I like a good nag 😉 😉
    How are you doing Amethyst ? Maisiebeth ?
    Are you feeling ok this week, articfox ? Keep going EC..your Canada trip is getting closer !
    Bikeyguy…we are waiting for your weekly check in !
    Birdy , get off your deck chair and come and post 😉
    I know where to find all our regulars . This sort of feels like a renewal time as the summer ends and work routines resume and I hope anyone starting out can come and say Hi !

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all and Wendy thank you for setting this weeks thread up❤️ Kafin well done on all your success with work and bad food avoidance and also keeping the weekly thread going! You are one awesome lady🥰🥰. I have not set foot on a scale since Saturday and for me that is a long time!😂. I am drinking more water and really trying to get back to some normalcy! I woke up hungry this morning but I am just going to have my coffee and cream before I go to work as I don’t want to get back into the ya it of breakfast! It doesn’t help me on this woe! I am going to attempt a fast tomorrow as I haven’t done one in weeks and need to get in my white Capri pants on Friday😂. How is everyone else doing. JGwen you really couldn’t make that report up! I can’t believe what they think up! 6T how are you doing? Allie thank you for the welcome back. Well done to cheggars and coriander for starting this woe to and welcome to our forum. It has been an amazing help to us all and wouldn’t be without it now. I am one of us that sticks to 20g of carbs and I have lost nearly 4 stone by doing this woe. I wish you all the success in the world on your journey. I would also like to see some of our regulars back.

Here’s to the end of summer and us all continuing to discard weight on this amazing WOL❤️ 12 stone 9 is on the horizon for me hopefully❤️ Have a great day everyone. Birdy💞🦜.

• posted by Sim14k
    on

Hello all
    I’m also starting BSD today. I’ve attempted this SEVERAL times but lost motivation to complete 8 weeks. I am 32 and have a small frame (5’3) but weigh 78kgs. I have pcos so where others lose weight easily – it’s painfully slow for me. However, I’ve just started taking the supplement inositol and metformin (500mg/one a day) and hope this aids weight loss. Fingers x

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I’m still here Wendy! I was wilting over the bank holiday weekend and it’s going to be another scorcher today. Good for drying laundry but I really do not do well in the heat. I did have a few G&Ts over the three days, only for the quinine of course….Unsurprisingly, scales are still stuck (at just over 68 kgs) but I think the sporran has shrunk just a little bit. I think we agreed on Seriously Sensible September for the new monthly thread, exhortation I for one need to observe if I am ever to get to my original six turkeys discard target of 62kgs…I hope all are well as we embark on another week!

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

Hi all, just popping in for a quick update.
    Been busy this past week hosting my nephew from Canada. Also, booked a short city break in Vienna with my mum for 7th September for 3 nights.
    After that I’m hoping to get back to normal and back on track. I’m becoming complacent with WOE but thankfully scales are staying much the same. I guess I’ve unintentionally got the hang of maintenance.
    And I just have to tell Wendy……I was doing some shopping yesterday and went to the chocolate aisle to treat myself. But when I got there I really didn’t fancy any chocolate and left it! Never thought in a million years that would be possible.
    Welcome back Birdy. Glad you had a great time on holiday. Hope everyone else is doing well.
    I will get back to posting more frequently once I’m back from Vienna.
    Have a great week everyone

• posted by Maisiebeth
    on

Hi all, lovely as always to read the weekly thread and pick up some inspiration. Things are going well for me at the moment. Discarded 2lb last week, plus the 3lb I put at a weekend away in london with my daughter, so am feeling very pleased. Down another 1.75lb since Saturday which takes me under 12st for the first time in years. Only 1lb away from being within the officially acceptable weight range. I am 5ft 8.5 so have to be 11st 12.
    My mantra is something I believe Coco Chanel said, “nothing tastes as good as skinny feels” and although I am far from skinny and never want to be, the general idea holds.
    Does anyone else have a go to snack? Mine is greek yoghurt and raspberries which I am really enjoying but sometimes it would be nice to mix it up a bit.
    I have just over 8 weeks until we go to Florida on holiday so I am doing fast 800 for the next 6 weeks then going to try to maintain for 2, so that I am not going on holiday straight from the diet. What is it they say, I can resist anything except temptation? And Florida is full of temptation!

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

“Bikeyguy…we are waiting for your weekly check in !”
    Sergeant Wendleg, do you realise how hard it is trying to type when you’re having to stand to attention and salute! 🙂 One weekly check-in coming up, Ma’am . . .

This should be taken with a little dose of creative/artistic licence as my Sunday weigh-in was exactly the same as the previous week, 0.8lb up and down over the 7 days – so, as we’re from all over, I’m pulling in some time-zone inexactitudes and announcing my Monday morning weight of 11st 1lb instead which means I’ve discarded 1.6lbs Ta Daa! The more astute amongst you may have noticed that my Tuesday 27th weight isn’t mentioned, that’s because a sneaky wee 0.4lb has latched on to me somehow between yesterday and today and will be ignored until next Sunday – or Monday, whichever result looks more impressive . . .

Other news – I’ve made an appointment at the Doc for later this week to get my blood tests done again to see how the body’s reacted since starting off. Should get the results back about a fortnight after. I was declared fairly healthy apart from known cholestorol issues, but it’ll be interesting to see what’s happened.

Ta Ta!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I popped out to take hubby to the barbers ( he was looking right scruffy !!) and I am pleased to see the posts on the thread as well as having a tidier O/h !!
    You will soon be back to normal, Birdy ! You have had stupendous success and I know you wont mess it up 😉
    Good to see you again 6T ! I think temps are due to drop in the Uk in the next few days so it will be more comfortable for you ( and Kazz. She hates the heat too !) September will be your month, 6T as you move closer to your target.
    Ooh well done on choc resistance Scottishgal ! Did you feel my beady eye on you ? 😉 Hope your nephew is enjoying his stay and it’s good you have a break to look forward to. Beware of those Viennese pastries ! For those of you in the UK who know Birmingham.( I am talking about the eighties !!) I used to love a Viennese coffee and cake in the posh Druckers cake shop . Both had a mountain of whipped cream on top !!!
    You are doing really well, Maisiebeth ! I fully understand ..I remember it felt great when I moved into the 11 stone bracket. All the best for the next 6 to 8 weeks.It would be great to reach a point where you are not fearful of temptation because certain foods have lost their appeal.
    Talking of which…nuts never lose their appeal for me, unfortunately . They are my favourite snack but it is too easy to over indulge.Othewise a square of very dark choc ( at least 85 % cacao ..90 % …98% ..I love the bitterness now)
    Keep posting ,everyone !

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Bikeyguy !! You make me sound very bossy 😉 🙂 Love it !!
    Good results again, BG !! Don’t worry about the 0.4 lbs…a mere trifle which will soon disappear.I reckon my 0/h weighs 2 kilos less today after his hair cut 🙂

Here’s to a great result at the docs. I feel sure it will be major !!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Sim14K and welcome !
    Time to take control of your health ? Get to where you want to be ? .Don’t worry about the false starts.Today is now. Onwards to your improved health. I cannot speak personally about PCOS but if you search Esnecca’s posts on the forum ( you will need to go some way back), you will see that she achieved an incredible weight discard as well as dealing with PCOS. It is often mentioned so don’t despair. Esnecca talked of the link to insulin resistance and her experience will be incredibly helpful to you.
    I don’t know about inositol but isnt metformin for diabètes management ??
    Sunshinegirl, where are you ? SG can you help with that ?Jennie10??
    All the very best, Sim14K !

• posted by Coriander
    on

Thanks for the nice welcome, folks. It’s good to be here.

I started back on the Fast 800 plan yesterday, and lost an encouraging 2lbs. I know it’s only water at this stage, but it helps to keep up the motivation.

Wendleg, thanks for your encouragement. Most welcome! I am a full vegan, and I know a lot of the food choices available to me are a bit carb-heavy (eg/ oats), but I’m cutting out things like bread, so that should help.

My main focus is ditching the crap, such as cakes, chocolate, and the like – and reducing my blood sugars and body lard. And if I can achieve ordered eating during the process, instead of constant face-stuffing, I’ll be delighted!

Best wishes

xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes..that’s really encouraging Coriander ! I agree…cutting the crappy sugary foods is paramount. There are recipes for keto bread with almond and coconut flours which you might like ..again on dietdoctor or http://www.ditchthecarbs.com. I don’t tend to make many “substitute” foods but they can be useful.
    I understand about (dis)orderly eating. My habits were very chaotic and I never really felt satisfied but that has changed. I.know what hunger feels like ..incredible for me and I don’t fear it !
    Keep going Coriander !

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Good morning… At least it is morning here. Thank you for all those how have been thinking about me (searching my name showed all of your kind wishes, Wendy 🧡). I am dealing with a lot of issues and I took off some time in hopes that I could exercise a few of those demons. Despite so caring certain burdens, however, I want to start back. Today will be my first day at 800 calories /20 carbs in a long while. I have already started jogging again and I have a goal in mind for the next couple months. My current weight is 181 so right now I’m trying to get back into the 160s like I was before going astray. I can’t promise I won’t disappear, but I’ll do my best to stick it out this time even when things get tough. I’ll be in your care. 🥰

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

Also, I never could get the BSD email right so instead here is one I created for this site – my username (no spaces) at Gmail. This way you guys can reach me if I go MIA again.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh that is great to see you back with us Amz ! We have missed you .I.know you have a lot of challenges but if getting your health back on track can help you cope ( and it surely will )..then just keep posting .You can only do your best and continue to fight those demons but you know you just have to shout out when you need support ! So happy you came back Amz!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I will be pestering you on that email Amz….!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

it is lovely to see Amz posting again. It is a shame to see people falling off the forum, though I am hopeful they will be back to tell us how well they have done! Just one example, Shellbob, who acquired at least two new smaller sets of clothes on her time here. Shellbob, I hope if you are reading that all is well with you all, and Katy, and your son heading off for uni soon?? And Coriander! I do like seeing it told as it is: ditching the crap, body lard and face-stuffing: yep, that is basically the issue for many! I also want to make the point that this space is not just for those on the Fast 800; low carb/medium protein/health fats has been an eye opener for me, and I am sure others! I am not going to win any prizes for the quickest discard, but I am getting there. It is amazing to me that I really don’t miss bread/rice/spuds etc as “staples”. So please don’t worry if 800 cals for 8 weeks seems impossible – it is not all or nothing, results will be there for all, at 800 cals or more, this is a long haul flight! The “nothing tastes as good etc” quote I thought was Kate Moss. I think we should change “skinny” to “healthy”: sadly many young women and girls focus on “skinny” (ie underweight).

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am with you there 6T. I used to keep a list of everyone who posted on the weekly thread to encourage as many people as possible to stay with us. I feel sad when people disappear, although they have their own personal reasons , I am sure.
    I think the main thing is not to feel a ‘failure’ or to be too embarrassed to return. Hopefully others are doing really well without the support of the thread.
    So yes,I am overjoyed that Amz came back and I hope we can keep her close . I have already emailed her and I hope others will support her too .

I could bring out my list to call out to ‘absentees’ but I would rather you came back because you want to ! This woe works even if for some it takes several attempts. That’s ok .

• posted by Amethyst
    on

Hi everyone,
    Good to hear all your news. I’m so excited about your Hollywood wrap party Kafin… how exciting!
    Wendleg, I’m sure your husband must feel better for the visit to the barbers.
    I can’t remember what everyone else has posted ~ sorry!
    I’ve completed my first week and have stuck with low carb and no snacking. I am thankfully in ketosis now as I’m not hungry at all, even when I accidentally did OMAD twice as days got crazy.
    I still have that urge for snacking and carbs though. Have tried to battle it with cups of tea and brushing my teeth early evening. So, not only will I lose weight but my dentist will be happy too 😂
    For others that are just starting out I can highly recommend the diet doctor website. There are some delicious meals on there, some which my teenagers loved too 👍
    My weight loss has been great this week which is hugely motivating but I know it’s just first week loss. Hopefully, a focussed second week will bring success for next Tuesdays weigh in. I need to remember though that the road is long to the end of the rainbow and to be happy with any loss each week whether big or small.
    🤩

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Amethyst, it is great to have many on here! But really? what you said: “I’ve completed my first week and have stuck with low carb and no snacking. I am thankfully in ketosis now as I’m not hungry at all, even when I accidentally did OMAD twice as days got crazy.
    I still have that urge for snacking and carbs ” I really don’t follow this. I’m not clear about the focus on being “in ketosis”, how that is established, and what it actually means longterm…

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

Hi everyone!!
    I’m pumped for this new week ahead of us. I’m aiming to shift 1kg by Saturday. I’ve resumed my normal 4:3 routine. I feel like my first fast back into routine might be trickier than it used to but I’ll power through.
    I’m 4lbs away from goal!! ✌️✌️
    I feel the same than y’all when people drop off the boards, it saddens me. It’s also an indication that this WOE might not be as easy to reach and maintain despite our experience. I guess carbs are a very powerful attraction. Although I’m also hoping that people are just time poor and not wasting their time on screens but rather out and about enjoying their best life!!
    Im going to go and say hi on my now deserted newbies thread and see if anyone is still out there…

on

I’ll have a stab at your questions about ketosis @sixturkeys. When one is in ketosis, it means that the body is fueling from the body fat storage.
    The obvious advantage of this state is the fat store diminishing. Other advantages are a constant source of energy, no more peaks and downs and lack of appetite or hunger in check.
    You know that you are in ketosis if you have been eating very low carbs (under 20g carbs per day) for 24-48hrs. Some people like to check for their ketones in breath, urine or blood – but really if you eat low carbs you will be in ketosis.
    It’s a great weight/fat loss tool. I personally aim to be in ketosis most of the time. I don’t fret if a special occasion kicks me out of ketosis as I know I’ll get back to it within 24-48hrs.
    There’s a lack of studies to the impact of ketosis long term so won’t comment on that. Although I think there are plenty of studies about the damages of carbs on long term health.

• posted by Amethyst
    on

Morning 😊
    In response to your post 6T, I am not aiming for ketosis but I believed it is a by product of a low carb diet and I’m sorry if that confused or offended anyones principles. It was just a statement to say that (as Louise kangaroo explained) I was no longer feeling the hunger pangs as my body is now using its fat stores for energy. I know that the BSD is low cal and low carbs and the Keto diet is no calorie counting and very low carb but reading the posts on here it seems that many do the very low carb as well as low cal. If I’m not correct in my understanding I would love some positive feedback on the differences between the BSD and ketosis.
    Anyhow, I’m happy with how it’s going for me.

• posted by Amethyst
    on

Hi again,
    For my own peace of mind that I hadn’t catastrophically made some huge embarrassing mistake, I looked in ‘The Fast 800’ and found that Michael Mosley explained that nutritional ketosis is an important element of this WOE. I don’t have his previous book to refer to as I lent it to someone. I’m currently not deliberately fasting but am using the principles of the food side of this WOE from both the BSD and the Fast 800 to get me on the straight and narrow.
    6T I felt that you were put out by my post. I’d appreciate it if you could explain why, as you have much more experience than me and I just want to learn my way through this 😊

• posted by wendleg
    on

No, no no…you haven’t made any mistakes , Amethyst !! I have written a long reply but just wanted to reassure you !
    You are doing great and I fully understand your approach as it was mine too.

• posted by wendleg
    on

First of all I think you would all want to join me in wishing Kazz Uk a very , very happy birthday !!!!! Have a wonderful day, Kazz !!!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all so lovely to see this thread busy again. Summer is a crazy time even though we try to relax more it seems we are all busy😂😂. It is a good thing as I personally feel like I can take on anything when the sun is shinning.❤️ Amethyst don’t look at it as just the first week and water loss as it is all part of your discard my lovely, I used it to spirit myself on and it soon turned into a discard that stayed off. Most diets we try are the same and at first you lose your water weight but then as we continue with the carbs it creeps on and off and we never really get anywhere! Then we seem to put on even more weight!! I am thinking now that all the weight regain is not all fat and it is fluid that carbs cause and from that we get the aches and pains that go with it and the bloating! But with this woe we notice the water regain pretty quickly if we go off of plan and we retrace our steps cut out the naughty stuff and the water weight discards again. Also when we stick to this woe the water weight does not regain and it becomes apart of our total weight discard and stays off. I may well be completely wrong but it is my take on it. So amethyst what I am actually trying to say is embrace the water discard as it is the beginning of your journey and as you continue to follow this woe it won’t come back❤️ It will encourage you to see just how well you are discarding and keep you going. (Gosh I hope that all made sense)?

I know if it was not for the initial water discard (mine was huge) and the support of everyone here, I know I wouldn’t have carried on. Now I am 20 weeks in and I have discarded 4 stone 🥰🥰🥰. Ok I have put some back on over my holiday as I drank and ate a few things off plan, but 3 days back and I am back in ketosis, just 0.27 but I am there and I know getting back to this woe it won’t be long and I would have discarded even more weight.

So any newbies out there lurking take the water weight discard for what it is a kick start to show you this woe works and an encouragement to continue Because of all the great things it does for your whole body. Don’t worry if you are a slow discarder or a fast one, remember we are all unique and no two bodies are the same. You will feel and see just how good this woe is in your time. Just know that we are all giving ourselves the best possible chance we can to be healthy❤️❤️ This woe extends our lives, it fights diabetes, cancer and it also helps with autism and many other things that the doctors would put us on pills for! Asthma, liver, kidneys and heart! It is a Way of Life and a way to prolong our lives. Sorry I watched The Magic Pill documentary film last night which just made me see just how good this woe is.

Sorry for waffling and I hope you all have a great day today. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Amethyst ! Don’t worry ..you didn’t confuse or offend anyone. I think your experience is like many ..and it certainly mirrors mine. I began researching and reading about nutrition this time last year and it led me to BSD , Michael Mosley etc. I had dabbled a bit with his 5.2 after the TV programme on intermittent fasting but I never really stuck to it. I decided to embark on the BSD on 1st September and I began posting at the same time on the forum . I had loads of questions ( Allie reached out to me immediately, thanks Allie !) …and as I was questioning more and more I continued reading and discovered Gary Taubes, Jason Fung, David Perlmutter, Eric Westman, Zoe Harcombe and lots of others because I was fascinated by the process.
    That naturally drew me to reading about the effects of low carb, fasting , ketosis etc and I have incorporated all of that throughout the year. I am not consistently low carb (20g) …I can be higher and I am not always consistently 800 cals either.
    I started doing OMAD very early and tried longer fasts which I found I enjoyed and fasting is now a natural part of my woe ( I know it is not for everyone and I am not saying it HAS to be part of BSD !) So yes, achieving ketosis is a natural development. The health benefits are fascinating .

What I am saying is that I mix it up …low carb ( as low as I can get), OMAD, some days two meals a day on others, 16/8, fasting of varying durations depending on my work/home schedule, the occasional Egg Fast. That works for me and I think we all have to find that sustainable woe . We all know this is not a quick fix. I initially did think that…but soon had to adjust and I fully understand why.

So like you Amethyst I now find it easy to manage hunger , can go for hours without eating with no ill effects and never fear not having food within reach. I have said this before but I have respect for foods which are nutritious and good for me and I consider sugar as toxic.

I have NEVER during the year had what you could call a ‘carb binge’. I am not exceptional at all. I have just achieved a mind set which means that certain foods have absolutely no appeal for me and don’t make me feel good…so I can overlook them with no sense of deprivation. I can go on holiday and find foods I love and not have to panic on my return . I am again not setting myself up as some super human carb resisting machine ! I just choose foods which are good for me and that is the message I would love to pass on. I am a year down the line but I have totally transformed my relationship with food and that is the true victory and what makes this WOE so wonderful. Peace and serenity, making friends with your body and with food ( I am totally with you on that Julia/Californiagirl ) …that is the magic.
    So Amethyst..just do what you are doing . It’s all good xxx

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Happy birthday Kazz ❤️❤️❤️🥳🥳🥳😉🥳. How you have a fabulous day. Birdy💞🦜😘😘😘🥰🥰🥰

on

Totally agree with Birdy that the initial massive loss is actually quite important for the overall success of this WOE. It’s very encouraging to register such a drop and ensure that we stick with it 😊
    And if you stay off carbs, it won’t return!

on

I must add that in his latest book MM doesn’t recommend to stay off carbs forever but rather to adopt a Mediterranean diet.
    He says to reduce sugar starchy food (cake, sweet chips…) to less than twice a week and watch out for potatoes, bread, white rice, white pasta – whatever watch out means.
    He includes complex carbohydrates eg lentils, whole grains, quinoa, wild rice as ok.
    Although all the above applies to long term maintenance not to the fast 800 or to the 5:2. If you want to lose weight, best to cut all of that right down. Also I think he recommends this for people with no diabetes or blood sugar issues.

• posted by BikeyGuy
    on

Wendleg – “I started doing OMAD very early and tried longer fasts which I found I enjoyed and fasting is now a natural part of my woe”

I’m about to start a second 24hr fast and would like a pointer or two if anyone’s up for answering.
    The first didn’t cause me any problems. How many should you have under your belt (sorry!) before you progress on to longer ones, do you gradually increase or simply fast until it gets uncomfortable – ie, your body says what the hell are you doing, feed me quick!
    Also, is it only water you take or are 6 calories per mug of fruit tea (say 8 or 9 a day) allowed? Only water won’t bother me, but given a choice I’d prefer fruit tea.
    Ta!

on

Hi Bikey Guy, I’m onto my 4th 72hrs fast. I took a loving to extended fast.
    I started with a couple of 24hrs fast and one day just kept going as I felt really good. That’s the beauty of fasting, you can keep going as long as you like it or you can stop and pick it up again later. Very easy to do and fit around ones life.
    The more you fast the easier it gets. It’s like any other muscle 🙂
    If you go for extended fasts, longer than 36hrs, don’t forget to supplement in sodium, by simply licking some salt.
    I do “pure” water fast but really 50cal here and there isn’t the end of the world, especially if it allows you to go for longer. You might not get the benefits of autophagy but that’s all. Although I don’t think that fruit tea would even break your fast. I’m not sure, they usually advise for green tea.
    I have black coffee and sometimes beef broth too
    Not at the same time 🤪🤪
    There’s another thread called “fasting” that has a lot of details too if you’d like.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Bikeyguy !
    I can only comment on my experience . This is what happened with me. I have a job (teaching!) which gives me very early starts and long lunch breaks of 1 hour 40 minutes. I can’t eat breakfast at 6am so it was natural not to eat then and I gradually found that I did not need to eat at lunchtime as I was not hungry and also very busy marking, preparing etc . So OMAD was natural. That means a fasting window of 24 hours.

My reading led me to understand that it is not good to do OMAD too frequently as the body perceives this as calorie restriction so I eat lunch and dinner on Wednesday and Fridays when I have free afternoons.

So yes, those OMAD days are very manageable. I enjoy my evening meals and do not fear hunger which eases anyway .

I tried a few extended fasts because I just wanted to try them …so 36 hours and 48 hours occasionally. I think that was around 2 months in ( I began in September).I had been reading about the health benefits of fasting/autophagy so it wasn’t an emergency weight discard strategy .

I must say Bikeyguy that I have NEVER found fasting to be uncomfortable and at the first sign of feeling unwell I would certainly not have continued. On fasting days I drink water ( with added Himalyan salt) or green tea but I don’t like flavoured teas. I doubt though that drinking fruit teas would have an impact or break a fast. There is a lot of mention of
    people drinking bone broth or pickle juice but I have never fancied that !

I think you just have to try whatever feels comfortable for you and there are no hard and fast rules about when you should try extended fasts. But definitely stop at the first sign of nausea, weakness etc

Can I please reiterate that fasting does NOT have to be part of this WOE. Lots of people find it difficult or unnecessary and that’s ok too so for any new members reading this , please don’t feel any pressure !!

I am going to copy and paste this on the Fasting thread so we don’ t get too focused on fasting and put people off on this weekly thread !!!
    We can continue the discussion on the other thread .

on

When I picked up my kid from school earlier today, a mum grabbed me and asked whether I had lost weight. When I said yes (I’ve lost 15% of my initial body weight so it shows) she quickly replied « but why?! ». Mmm because I tried to? And she was very negative, telling me I looked too skinny now.
    What a weird reaction! I guess she didn’t know me from pre kids day so never seen me at my normal healthy weight.
    I keep telling myself that what I’m doing is a good choice and healthy and who cares what people think but it still affected me and I keep thinking about it.
    Im the type of person who would never dream about commenting on some other person body for you can never know what is going on…

• posted by EC
    on

hello friends…Wed night here
    interesting twists and turns in the postings….but too tired now to make a serious contribution right now!
    just checking in to say….still here on track….sidelined health wise by a horrid migraine with vomiting (sorry, TMI) Monday night so definitely haven’t been overeating!

the rest of this week is going to mad work-wise as I have a major deadline, but I’m around, on plan and promise to catch up properly next week!!

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Happy, happy birthday, Kazz – you lovely lady! Wishing you all the best 💕💕💕💕

• posted by JGwen
    on

Happy birthday Kazz.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi folks

Just checking in to my home thread to say hello to everyone 😊

Sorry that I’m not posting much just now, I have a lot on. But please be assured that I’m still here, plugging away. (Because obviously you’re all sitting around stroking your chins and wondering where Elky is 😉 )

Amethyst, good to “meet” you and it’s great news that this WOE is clicking so well for you.

Kazz, I hope you had a wonderful birthday and celebrated by doing something suitably joyous – big hugs.

Birdy, I am so impressed that you’re still so chirpy after your holiday is over – you’re an inspiration, lovely.

EC, sorry to hear you’ve been crook, migraines are miserable things – hope it’s now firmly behind you.

Wendleg, I really didn’t know that it’s not ideal to stick slavishly to OMAD. I don’t, but that’s just by an accident of my routine, rather than a deliberate plan. But it turns out it’s a happy accident, so that’s a piece of good news. Thank you for the info! 😊

Hello to everyone else, hope you’re all well.

Cheers, Elky

on

Hi peeps!
    My week is going great guns. I have already reached the target that I had set for myself to drop 1kg. With another 2 days to go, it will be interesting to see my weekly result on saturday.
    I have now lost exactly 2 stones which represents 16% of my initial total body weight. A 6th of my body has disappeared in about 10 weeks! 😁✌️💃💃💃
    It already feels like a lifetime ago – well probably not that long but I can’t even remember the feeling of being bloated and having no clothes that fit and being uncomfortable all day…
    It’s nearly lunchtime here in Melbourne and I have successfully declined 2 offers of cakes already. Life at the office hey!

Please log in or register to post a reply.