One week at a time beginning 23rd November 2021 . DON'T GIVE UP NOW !!!!

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Yes, the thread was a bit quiet this week .

Is your motivation flagging ?

Are you being caught up with celebratory preparations ? Thanksgiving ? Christmas ? Travel plans and family gatherings ?

General pressures and stresses of work and family ? I do think this is a tough time of year for lots of us .

Whatever is going on with you, we are still here whenever you want to check in .

One last push until the end of November ? One week left and then we are into December !!

Hope to see you checking back in with us

Wendleg, SunnyB and sunshinegirl

• posted by wendleg
    on

I have added Russian roulade ! Good to see you back with us !

Wendleg /Wendy
    SunnyB
    Sunshine girl/Denise
    Florab85 /Lauren
    Onestep
    Elle-mae
    Orange Panda Momma/Amz
    RubyG and hubby
    Windyjulz
    Antigone
    Tulip/Clare
    Arcticfox
    JGwen
    California girl/Julia
    Caronl
    Merry melba
    AlysJ
    Stresseatingpro
    CurryTruck
    Iggyboo
    LindaandHubby
    Annie W
    Handles
    Rockandrolltofu
    shammy
    GAD
    Julinka
    Magicbean
    BernieR
    Sixturkeys
    Neicolec
    Handles
    HopefulGal76
    Russianroulade

• posted by florob85
    on

Hey Wendy and all, I’m here for another week, by some miracle despite my work life basically imploding, I’ve lost 3lb the last week – still about a gazillion to go but it’s a start!!

Hope all are ok xx

L x

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi all, well done Lauren 😁😁😁😁 I am still doing 5:2 lost another 2 lbs. OH and I are going away for a few days from next Sunday so we will see how that goes food wise.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi Lauren, Hi Elle Mae !
    Good to see you both and well done on your success both, despite all the challenges .

You can plan to limt the damage next weekend Elle Mae but its also important to enjoy some special time .

Lauren you are amazing to keep going !!! Focus on your break, you must be due one soon ????? !!!!

• posted by florob85
    on

Not till Christmas unfortunately Wendy!

• posted by wendleg
    on

OMG. Hang on in there Lauren. ! I always remember this term being the hardest (in my former life !) . Leaving home in the dark and returning most days in the dark too. Endless meetings and reports..it was a relief to get through to the Christmas holidays and then it became a bit easier.
    l don’t think it was ever as intense as your gruelling schedule though.
    Pace yourself if you can (not always easy I know ) and focus on that holiday…lots of love .

Tulip/Clare are you ok ?

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hello hello and thanks for the add back to the group!
    Well last week was a disaster, work was beyond awful and whenever that happens, I comfort eat and the scales today were a bit of a horror show. But we go again!
    And actually I’ve been super strict today, tracking oil and really weighing out food. It’s the only way to get my head back in the game.
    Come on everyone we can do this!

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    Yes, the dark days are difficult this time of year. Less than a month to go though before the days start to get longer again. We can make it!
    Russianroulade – good to see you back. I had a chuckle at your description of last week being a disaster, as we had an actual disaster here last week. It will take us weeks and months to recover from this one. Comfort eating is tempting for sure when the chips are down.

I’ve finished my batch of curry now, so definitely looking for some new ideas for store cupboard meals. Our supply chain issues are improving slightly, but some groceries are still quite tight, particularly dairy and eggs as those are the two sectors hardest hit. Luckily I seem to have a lot of lentils in at the moment, so can substitute those for protein for the next little while.

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby still here, work was awful last week, hoping for a calmer week this week.
    Our weight is ~static at the moment, although I seem to have lost a couple of lb over the weekend, while hubby has gained. Our weekend away with friends was much-needed, and although there was some alcohol consumed, the food we ate was our normal low-carb way of eating mostly – apart from the dessert which we all had as part of a meal out on Saturday night. It was very nice, and not worth feeling guilty about, as Sunday morning we were straight back on low carb with breakfast of smoked salmon and scrambled eggs, plus some milk kefir to keep the gut biome happy.
    I made a huge pot of mixed veg and tomato soup yesterday, with some bacon bones, so lots of flavour and much-needed warmth at this time of year. It is freezing this morning!
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I have had my flu jab this morning, starting to feel a little strange, a bit dizzy, I hope this is ‘normal’! On the plus side my BP which has been too high is finally under control after my medication dose being increased.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Elle-Mae, we both had our flu jabs yesterday afternoon, and for whatever reason hubby was absolutely whacked last night and was in bed by 20h30. We both took 2 paracetamol with supper and slept through, although he said he was a bit achy this morning.
    Are you able to check your BP readings yourself? Hubby found his BP dropped quite rapidly in the early phases of the BSD – I seem to recall you were hospitalised with a stroke? It may be worth a call to your GP if you’re not feeling well?

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Ruby thank you. I’m feeling ok now. The GP has been monitoring my BP and despite the success of the BSD it didn’t go down ☹️. They added an additional BP med still didn’t go down, they have increased the dose twice and finally today at the GP’s we had success. I have been taking it at home too and although lower than at the surgery still not low enough.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I am still around although my motivation was flagging at the end of last week and the weekend was a downhill slope with a few drinks and a weight increase. Im feeling better now and already lost 0.4kg of the 0.6 gain I had so back on track. Although we are going out for a meal tomorrow lunchtime with our friends who have finally sold up (after 5 years on the housing market). I have a little moan about eating and drinking and hubby says you dont have to eat or drink and I say, okay Ill just stay home and you can sent me photos of the food. Dont worry I wont go mad but I do intend to enjoy myself. We might get some tips about moving back, it is such a nightmare now the UK is out of the EU. Declarations for everything, receipts for everything (fortunately we keep everything) or you have to pay export/import duty and so on.

Christmas plans are coming together although we dont have to do much as we are at daughters. Still like to be involved in the prep and she is making a bigger effort with my food. She said I am a nightmare but all I ask is a bit extra of the things I can have like more veg and a bit more meat and have something for me to snack on in case I get low BG. Which I have been having quite a bit of just lately. I am slowing decreasing the insulin but slowly slowly. Readings are around 70 to 85 (3.7 to 4.5 in HbAic terms). As soon as I see a 70 I reduce yet again.

Hope we all have a better week but well done to flora and Elle for the loss. Arcticfox, one persons disaster is anothers walk in the park so I understand your amusement. Keep on keeping on… Its all we can do.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

S-g – I didn’t mean to sound like I was dismissing Russianroulade’s experience. Just saying that our week here was a disaster too, but quite literally. Well done on your BG and further reductions in insulin. That is quite an accomplishment.
    Trudging along here. Long work days trying to support recovery, and then I still have all my own farm chores to do at the end of the day.
    Thinking of seeing if I might be able to get my hands on some coconut milk to be able to make some chia seed puddings as a bit of a treat.

on

Arcticfox, I would never think such a thing. A disaster is a disaster no matter how big or small. Just know what you are going through right now and all the trauma you have had over the past year it made me smile. Just that sometimes knowing that puts things into perspective. I am sure RR wouldnt have thought anything of it.

Been out for my meal and managed to stay on plan except for a few chips. I had foie gras with apple compote, beef burger and chips, minus the bun for me but as above, I had a few chips. Instead of a dessert I had a cheese plate which comes with bread but I didnt bother, just ate the cheese. Just one glass of wine. Still expect it to impact on my weight but I wont have dinner tonight, maybe just a snack of some cold chicken a bit later.

• posted by BSD
    on

HI, its been a long time since I have been on this forum and that’s because everything has been going really well.
    I first posted back in May 2016 “A BIG THANKYOU”, I was diagnosed in December 2015. Then in 2016 got it reversed and removed from my records (after a push with the doctor). I posted again in 2020, just to give any newbies hope in that it does work long term (Verano) you were on that post as well :).

Then in 2021 came another challenge Menopause :(. I knew I had but some weight back on, but also had blood tests (HbA1c 51). So whilst I am well versed in the BSD, I had let my lifestyle changes slip and needed to buckle down, especially after Christmas. Started counting calories again and making treats really treats! September results (HbA1c 42), back in control.

The joys of being a woman, now need to get the HRT sorted and keep an eye on the diabetes ball.
    Dr Louise Newson is my HRT equivalent to Michael Mosley for Diabetes. Another battle with the NHS and doctor, wanted to put me on antidepressants. I’m not depressed! Anyone need any help on this, try http://www.balance-menopause.com, this one is a harder journey to get sorted.

Would like to join your group

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi BSD have you any advice on hot flushes? I was taken off HRT back in June, been on it too long. Since then the return of lots of hot flushes in the evening and loads during the night, so I have very broken sleep as they constantly wake me up.

on

Sorry I cant help Elle-Mae but there are lots of good tips like wearing natural clothing in thin layers, cool showers, avoiding spicy food. I am sure they are not very efficient at helping and HRT is the best treatment. I too was taken off when my BP was out of control and never given any alternatives but it seems I had gone past the worst of it. A lot about this on Lorraine in the mornings (UK) campaigning for it to be taken more seriously. The site recommended by BSD might be worth taking a look at.

Paying for my meal out with a 0.6kg gain but sure that is just the chips as I didnt have much of anything else. I really should learn but once in a blue moon. Anyway it will be gone by the weekend if I crack on. I am now going into hibernation until Tuesday when I am going to the dentist. Nothing on all weekend so just me and Netflix and my painting. Enjoy.

• posted by BSD
    on

Hi Elle-Mae, hot flushes and night sweats are really not good for sleep are they. There really isn’t “too long” being on HRT, you can be on it for the rest of your life if you need. Like any other pills for health, but this is actually your hormones that you are topping up. I would challenge your doctor to put you back on. Try the Newson Balance website, it has load of advice and myth busts a lot of what doctors have been told. Once I get my HRT balance right I won’t be coming off it. It prevents loads of other issues like bone loss and diabetes. We really do need those hormones for the rest of our lives.

on

Hi everyone, as predicted, one day completely strict and I have lost 0.6, so my total gain has gone. Possibly lots of fluid involved with the gain (not alcohol) and easy to lose. It can make me a bit complaicant in knowing if I cheat and gain I can get it off quickly. However, that is not an excuse to binge but can give hope to those who have gone off plan and wondering if it is worth trying again. Yes of course it its. This diet works, just work with it. Just had to give my daughter a pep talk, she had a Chinese last night and gained 1kg and is now talking about giving up, diets arent for her, she cant do it. Get your head into a mindset that says YOU CAN and just do it. I must admit, if it wasnt for my diabetes and this diet almost saving my life, Im not sure how motivated I would be at times.

Hope you are all having a good week and will enjoy the weekend.

• posted by BSD
    on

Sunshine-girl. I agree I found if I went off the rails a bit, as long as you get back on, you can lose the weight easily. It’s when you let it slide for a while its more difficult. Diets never work, it has to be a lifestyle change forever, and its ok to have treats occasionally just not all the time :). Completely agree with you on having the diabetes result, was the kick and motivation, I needed as well or I wouldn’t have got my act together, plus not wanting the pills.

I also found my taste buds completely changed and actually didn’t like the sweet things I used, so never went back to them again.

on

Hi all, still on track but wont manage the 12lb loss I was aiming for. Bit over ambitious but still 5lbs down. What do they say aim for the moon and be happy if you reach the stars. Have a good weekend.

BTW the weather here is rotten, hail and 4 degrees.

on

Hi to those who are still here with us. Well done on nearly completing another week.

Now down to my pre October holiday weight so only 6lbs to go to my Christmas goal. Less than 3 weeks to do it as we go away on the 18th which cuts me back by a week. Still keeping on…

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . Sorry I have been a bit quiet this week .I’m a bit fed up of this ongoing Covid mess to be honest and feeling a bit unsettled .

My younger son is returning to France at the end of January .Not planned .It’s a result of a mess up with his visa which he cannot challenge .I am of course happy to know that he is coming home ( for how long we don’t know ) but I am just hoping his return flight from Brisbane to Paris (via Singapore) is not disrupted . My son is 28 and very adaptable but he is a bit sad at the way this has happened . He is very philosophical and believes opportunities arise from unexpected circumstances and I need to be positive too !

So I am hardly a great motivator right now , sorry but I will buck myself up !

We are into a new week folks and I hope we can find it in ourselves to move into December with energy and commitment .

Please log in or register to post a reply.