ONE WEEK AT A TIME BEGINNING 20TH JULY 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As our good friend Wendy once again finds herself with a lot going on, she has ask that I set up the new weekly thread for the coming week. Hopefully she will be able to join us in a day or two, meanwhile it’s important we focus on getting the new week off to a good start and make it really count, regardless of results … good or bad …. during this past week.

With the school summer holidays about to begin and some lucky souls looking at time away, there will be people struggling to focus on their eating plan right now. If this is you, just try to make good food choices, even if it’s not sticking strictly to the 800 calories.

I’m beginning the week with a better scales reading than this time last week …. albeit only marginally … but I’m happy to take it. Every little counts!

Anyway, whatever your current status, whether you are a regular poster, someone new to the forum or are coming back after a break, please jump in and share your story with us. Support and encouragement guaranteed.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As I’m unsure when Wendy will be able to join us, I have just copy and pasted the list of participant from last week. Apologies if your name is missing from here and if that’s the case, please say and we’ll make sure you get added in for next week.
    wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678
    LizzieTOFI
    Jeremy Fisher
    Green and White
    Garmmcns
    Chrissybabe63
    Reuby19
    Elle-Mae
    Bissell
    Puddingtoast
    Steph2
    Antigone
    LifeUniverseEverything

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you for getting us set up for another week SunnyB. I read that it has been very sunny in the UK – so hope all there are enjoying some cautious freedom. Mid winter and rainy here, and our lockdown has just been extended by another week. All the best to all in Vic, NSW and now SA. Trying to stay on maintaining plan, but a bit less motivated in winter. ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ Not good walking and gardening weather, so inside. Planning on making some soup ๐Ÿฅ—๐Ÿฅ—
    Wave to Wendy ๐Ÿ‘‹

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

I’m just wondering what your favourite low-carb snack is. For me it’s probably peanuts – yes salted ones! And I know they have some carbs in them and aren’t the heathiest, but still much better than what I used to snack on!

I’m also very partial to clotted cream – which is a true low-carb delight – I actually eat it bit like yogurt, but in very low quantities. Delicious, but sickly – which is actually good for killing hunger pangs!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Yogarasanankar … thanks for your input, but we are primarily concerned with control of blood sugar levels and weight here.
    I note no profile has been entered, so suspect your post is spam, but I will leave it to others to judge if that’s the case and will report the post.

• posted by ScottM
    on

Good morning folks.
    It’s been a few weeks since I posted I’m afraid, been very busy.
    I’ve been on the BSD/Fast 800 since January when I was 15st 5lbs and was diagnosed with type 2 Diabestes with a hb1AC result of 110.
    I’ve managed to lose 4stone 5 lbs since I started and I got my most resent blood results today.
    My new reading is 30. I have put my diabetes into remission, my BMI is now normal and I feel much better!
    For anyone strugglung with the plan, if I can do it, then you can too! I had no will power before I started!

On another note, I managed to get a copy of the original Fast 800 recipe book by chance on sale the other week, so I’ve started using a few recipes from there. Very tasty! So now I’m using the BSD, F800 and Easy Fast 800 books for all my meals.

My downfall however, has been Diet Coke – with the recent heat I’ve not been managing to stick to tea and the coke has been calling out to me.
    Does anyone know much about the T2 Tea brands> I’m wondering if the fruit teas they do can be served as iced tea? I’m still doing TRE and I’d like to have something other than water when I’m fasting! Also, does anyone have any experience with WaterDrop? They are little flavoured cubes for water which apparently don’t contain sugar, but again unsure if it would beak my fast or if it’s even that healthy?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, thank you for setting this up SunnyB and for publishing the list.

Jeremy, my fave snack food is chicken. I could eat it all day. I also go for a few almonds and pistachio nuts.

Yogarashansanka – I dont know the purpose of your post but it is interesting that a lot of people think of the harm that low blood sugar does to diabetics like going unconscious or going into a coma which can in turn lead to brain damage or long term complications such as onset of epilepsy. However, as you rightly say high blood sugar does a lot of damage and it saddens me so see diabetics thinking it is okay to keep high BG because they have been told to stay on the safe side and not go too low. Low BG has an immediate bad effect whereas high blood sugar is the real killer with all those things you mentioned and more. I do hope you are not going to try to sell us something amazing as we have all been there and read everything going and there is already a lot of knowledge on this site.

ScottM, well what can I say, you are amaaaaazing. You have exactly the results we first talked about and I am so pleased you still did it when I thought you had disappeared. What was the reaction of your medical team. You dont mention that.

The teas you mention, I have mixed feelings. Here in France a tissane (sweet fruit tea) is very popular but the word sweet can be a problem. You need to read the labels carefully for sugars and dont assume all the fruit is natural or even that natural fruit is okay. Think of that large glass of orange juice for breakfast which has around 16 teaspoons of sugar equivalent. I had never heard of the waterdrop teas and they sound very interesting if you dont like plain water. Again, read the ingredients. Just because they are sugar free and zero calories doesnt mean they are not full of chemicals. Here is a list of what is in each tea BEFORE the various fruit flavourings are added. Citric acid, sodium carbonate, potassium carbonate, inulin, acai extract, natural flavor, stevia leaf extract, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), black carrot extract (color), vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

Sounds a bit too chemical for me. Have you thought of crushing some frozen berries into a jug of water or adding slices of cucumber and lemon. Although anything is better than the diet coke which can cause spikes in your BG due to the reaction the sweetness has on your physiology. Your body still reacts as though it is sugar, pumps out a load of insulin to combat it then is stopped in its tracks as their is no sugar to deal with and I guess you know what insulin does – I stores itself in your cells and holds on to fat.

I am just toddling along although I am doing quite well and now a kilo under my doctor visit weight. My daughter is struggling right now with a party in 2 weeks and feeling a bit yuk so I have set her a challenge that we will both lose a kilo by the date of the party. It will do me good too.

Have a great week everyone and hurry back Wendy.

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby here, feeling a bit disheartened after both gaining the past few days.
    The UK weather is stupid hot for this area (I am originally from a much warmer climate but house designs and clothing fabrics are different there) and a combination of poor sleep, lack of a proper appetite and my excuse of being busy after 2 weeks off work is resulting in me feeling a bit rubbish today. To cheer myself up, I tried on clothes I was happy to fit back into, and they look and feel good, so I have not gained a stone overnight, it just feels like it. I am drinking lots of water, but feel a bit bloated and puffy.
    Anyway, every year I say “it’s summer in England, it won’t last more than a week ” ๐Ÿ™‚

Re. drinking water and additives – hubby has a wedge of lemon in his water bottle every day, and sometimes some slices of ginger and/or mint to jazz it up a bit. I also like fizzy water, not too cold, but a little bit chilled. Hubby drinks herbal teas through the day, but I have thought about making some up the night before and putting them in the fridge for the following day.

I know I need to keep on keeping on ๐Ÿ™‚

on

Amazing work Scott!
    Congratulations.
    I’m now jealous. But it’s also great to hear of your success to spur me on.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Jeremy, my go to snack would be unsalted cashews. Last day in Scotland, very hot! Having a low carb hopefully picnic in the shade and a baby deer crosses the path a few metres away.

on

Ah. I love unsalted cashews. I bought a pack on Saturday, ate the whole lot and decided I mustn’t buy them again as they’re too addictive – so they’re now off my shopping list!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Merry, yes it’s hot and sunny here in the UK … not to everyone’s liking, but I’m happy to have some real summer weather for a change. Well done on maintaining, even with the temptations brought along with winter weather.
    Jeremy, for low carb snack I opt for a small cube of cheese eaten slowly, but truthfully the longer you’re low carb, the less you need to snack for genuine hunger.
    Scott, FANTASTIC results, you should be justifiably proud of your achievements!!! As others have said, sweet drinks are best avoided if poss, even if they don’t contain sugar. I’m currently using Twinings Cold Brew In’fuse tea bags, which are pleasant and zero carb.
    SG, great that you and your daughter are helping each other to focus, by sharing a challenge.
    Ruby, I’m confident you and hubby will see an improvement in your scales readings soon. You are both very focused and I’m sure any gain is minimal, as trying those clothes has shown you.
    Elle, your picnic sounds lovely.

I’ve discovered kimbap …. four low carb sandwich / sushi fillings, folded into a sheet of sushi nori to make a wrap. Today’s comprised: cauli rice, a thin piece of ham, shredded carrot with a little mayo and cheese shavings. Think these are going to be a lunchtime regular now. We have a picnic coming up soon and these will solve the problem of what to take for me to eat. I’m think it would be possible to do a ‘sweet’ one with cream cheese and sliced strawberries …. when I try that, I’ll let you know how it works out.
    Keep going everyone, do the best you can at each meal.

• posted by ScottM
    on

Thank you all for the kind words. I’m over the moon to be honest. As much as I’d hoped to be able to reverse things, when the weight loss slowed down after the first 8 weeks I wasn’t convinced it would happen! I’m not done yet, as I’d still like to lose a few punds to give me a little bit of ‘wiggle room’ in my BMI as I’m at the top end of normal, so I’d like to see another 7lbs off – about 3 kilos for you modern people ๐Ÿ™‚ My family are pretty excited for me too and are planning a BSD BBQ on Sunday for me (although I’m making the burgers from the recipe books just to be sure and we’ve agreed no rolls will be in sight!)
    SG – My doctor was extremely pleased. He said 5 years ago he wouldn’t have believed what I’ve achieved was possible but he couldn’t wait to tell his colleagues at lunch time. I’m glad I had such a supportive GP who recommended the low carb/calorie diet and didn’t just shove me on pills and leave me to it. Apologies for the disappearance, I’ve just had no time to myself with working for the NHS and covering holidays! The chemiclas are what concern me as well and what effect they would have on my insulin levels.
    Jeremy, as I say, if I can do it, anyone can! The biggest motivating factor for me was actually throwing out most of my clothes as they were too big. I dropped 10 inches around the waist and went from a 2XL to a Medium in shirts. Still hoping I’ll achieve that elusive small with a bit more effort.
    Merry – soups are what kept me going through winter. I’ve switched to shakes (From the Fast 800 book) for summer – especially in this Scottish heat!
    Elle-Mae – Whereabouts in Scotland are you visiting? I live near Glasgow ๐Ÿ™‚
    Ruby – I may try frozen fruit in my water. I tried fresh before but it didn’t really add any flavour to me.
    Sunny B- thanks for the tips on the Cold Infusions, I’ll check them out! They look very nice!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

ScottM we have been in Glasgow, in Largs at present enroute to the ferry11.30pm sailing.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Thanks for the thread and to all those contributing. I’m still here, doing my best, over on calories but mostly ok with food choices…. still want to find the oooomph to have another focused few weeks and really rein it in and see some progress. I’m still running a lot and that makes it hard – officially marathon training which is hilariously surreal, cant believe i have become ‘that’ person! finding the food balance is trick when running a lot, but i need to review my focus, look at nutrition for running not the whole “I ran 20k i can eat chips” mentality!

ScottM – you are very motivational, thank you for posting! Your BSD BBQ sounds fab, especially the no buns in site part! BBQ meat and salad – yum! Although “scottish heat” – hahahahaha – I’m in the NE of Scotland and our idea of heat just isnt the same….anything over 18 degrees and its a struggle! I miss having my Fast800 shakes sometimes, being back at work means frozen berries arent an option and i did love some berries in my shake….might have to review and get back to it!

Jeremy – I like a medium to long fast too……not been doing it much recently as timing it with running was a challenge – running on a fast day is fine, and i prefer to run fasted, but running the day after a fast day was horrid. Will look to find a way back to doing a weekly 36hr fast through i think….. thanks for the reminder that its a good tool. And for sure it is easier to fast when low carb the rest of the time, I’m not surprised you struggled if you were carbing in between fasts.

Hava a good day folks

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Evening all – I hope you are all doing well. I am likely going to be a bit of an absent friend over the next week or two – we have gone into a lockdown here, and are juggling the kids learning from home, at the same time hubby and I work, all on two devices only, and he and I are both flat out! Feeling very grateful that we are both fully vaccinated. On the bright side, this morning I weighed in to find I am at my lowest weight yet – hoping to keep it going ๐Ÿ™‚
    Stay safe everyone – will be back soon when the pressure and workload eases here x

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Julz, gosh you are dedicated …. can’t imagine running at all, let alone training for a marathon! I’m sure you’ll suss out the best way to eat for the exercise you’re doing. Might need a bit of trial and error, but you’ll get there.
    Hopeful, sorry you guys are facing lockdown again. Sounds like it might be a bit if a nightmare, juggling children, school work and work work. We’ll be here whenever you get a chance to drop in, meanwhile, take care, stay safe and take things as easy as you can, to keep stress levels in hand.
    Personally nothing of note to report at present. Confess the whole weighing, measuring and recording all consumed, has already slipped this week but making good food choices, so not worried if I just maintain for this week.

on

ScottM – Interesting to hear that you’ve found throwing away the large clothes motivating. I’m trying to go the other way around and fit back into the clothes I can’t wear because I’m too large. I’ve resisted buying larger clothes (mostly!) and look forward to being able to get back into most of my wardrobe! That’s starting to happen already, but still a long way to go for most of my clothes!

As another point worth sharing… I lost around 20lbs on a 1200 low-carb diet last year (all documented on here). And put all that back on within around 6 months, adding a few more lbs on top to reach my heaviest ever around 8 weeks ago (just 1lb short of 14 stone). That’s why I still have all my smaller clothes…

And it’s also why maintenance is going to be so important for me. For the moment though, I need to get it back off!

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Well back home, 3 1/2 lb back on โ˜น๏ธ. So back on the diet, planned meals on the ferry at 1 am , now making a shopping list. Why oh why when it’s this hot and you feel like you are melting can’t it be fat melting off instead of sweat. Jeremy I find maintenance is so much harder than losing.

• posted by Antigone
    on

This is week 3 for me ( this time around) and I thank you all for posting your stories – so motivating. Week 1 went really well – in fact I over did it a bit and averaged 650 cals (MFP). Week 2 went to hell in a hand basket as I had a poorly horse to worry about which derailed me ( horse fine now btw). This week the sudden rise in temperatures gave me a dose of heat stroke ( 3rd time since moving to France) so I have not been eating much at all. I shall use the heat stroke as a place to reboot from. Thank you posters, one and all, for getting me through a difficult week.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Elle, don’t panic, that isn’t a huge gain and you’ll soon see that disappear once you’re back on track. I agree it would be lovely if we ‘leaked’ fat instead of water in hot weather. I’d have lost several pounds this week alone.
    Antigone, sounds like a rough couple of weeks. Take things as easy as you can whilst recovering from your heat stroke. My guess is week 2 and 3 will counter balance each other and you’ll hit week 4 at around your end of week 1 status. So just do what you can this week and make a fresh start next week once recovered.
    Jeremy, perhaps reviewing what you did at the end of your weight loss period last year, will highlight what to avoid this time round to successfully maintain. Thing to remember I think, is returning to high carb intake isn’t an option if we don’t want to return to square one. So whilst the calories can increase by quite some margin, carbs still need to remain relatively low with a much smaller increase. I’m sure you will approach the maintenance phase more cautiously this time though and successfully maintain. In the meantime, I’m sure you’ll soon be getting into your smaller clothes again.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone. I’m here…needed a bit of space to digest some disappointing news. Without going into too much detail..a friend I have been helping got a very disappointing outcome from a court hearing last week,quite devastating in fact and the fall out continues. Added to that the parcel I sent from France to Australia on the 5th July still has not arrived and tracking shows no movement since the 7th. The Post Office customer services are unable to give me any precise information. I have been told to be patient . All very well if my parcel just contained a few French goodies..but you may remember I sent two photo books retracing my son’s life to surprise him on his 30th birthday which is this Sunday. So that made me very sad to think that he is unlikely to receive them in.time.
    The distance and this never ending Covid crisis is really getting to me now . I feel bombarded by confusing and conflicting information,friends due to come over from the UK have cancelled. The situation in France, now in our 4th wave we are told,is unsettling.
    So it’s been an emotional time but I am trying to be positive. I haven’t lost anyone and I am lucky in that.
    Lots of things are out of my control so I am just going to do my best to accept that.
    Sorry for the absence but I do read the thread . We are a good bunch on here and I feel bad about letting you down.
    Thanks Sunny and SG for keeping everything going. Xx
    Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m curious to know where you are in France,Antigone. I’m in the South West ,the Tarn department.

So sorry about lockdown Hopeful. Merry too ? Thinking of you .My boys have escaped that so far but I would like to think they could get vaccinated at some time. We need to show our health certificate / vaccination confirmation for gatherings now and even to get into a restaurant, cafรฉ etc from the Ist August. It really is never ending .

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Hello all – thank you again for setting up this inspiring thread.
    I have had some incredibly hard weeks, worked more than ever – terrible deadlines and postponed my holiday (and ate not so good – actually quite bad).
    I started my holiday today and have had a relaxing day, done nothing – I needed it – hope to sleep more and plan to be vey active. Tomorrow will be a fantastic day – will start the morning with a light breakfast – and go for a nice long walk and swim in the ocean – and plan superhealthy meals, bring salad with egg.
    We’re visiting family this holiday and I must have a plan to be able to eat as I want and need. I really need this forum this summer and during the coming year. I will work steadily towards my goal – Normal BMI – I give myself up to 12 months, but first: 8 weeks with fast800. Starting tomorrow. Wholehearted.
    So – I have two question;
    1) When visiting family (old relatives) – how do you inform them about your eating ‘regime’ – and how do they take it?
    2) I am invited to an Indian restaurant tomorrow -to celebrate several persons – do any of you have a super suggestion for what to eat in a typical Indian restaurant? (Some kind of grilled Chicken without two much high kcal sauce (maybe tandoori) and salad? Other vegetarian option (low carb, low fat). Skip the rice. Eat slow. Maybe only tea for desert, maybe add some fruit/berries? Any suggestions? Thank you so much in advance! I don’t feel like destroying my fantastic plan the first day. Wish me luck – and strength – I need it on several layers in life ๐Ÿ™‚
    -Quetzal

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Also Wendy – so disappointing with the package/mail not reaching your family as planned (that would mean so much in these times) and the court hearing outcome for your friend that you are helping. Your are such a wonderful and helpful person, for everyone here – and around you outside this forum. What a treasure you are. Take your time and space. Lots of warmth and gratefulness from me – and most likely so many other people here.
    -Quetzal

on

Tandori chicken and salad is the way I go. In our local Indian it comes in sizzling and is absolutely delicious – so much so that I choose that when I go there now even when I’m not eating low carb (although I tend to add rice then!).

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Queyzal …. yes, I’d go with tandoori and either salad or a bhaji, like sag, gobi or brinjal (spinach, cauliflower or aubergine). Personally, I never get as far as dessert with an indian meal, but opt for tea if you still need something.

On the visiting front, I tell people I’m eating low carb and explain that means no potatoes, pasta etc. then I take a few things with me, so I know I have some fall backs. To be honest, most people don’t really understand what low carb means, so best to have a work around if you can. Failing that, just do the best you can with what’s offered and then get back on track as soon as you can on returning home.

Enjoy your down time though, that is really important after the stressful time you’ve had.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I order tandoori prawns and salad when eating out, basically anything without the sauce (I ordered like this even before this WOE).
    At other restaurants, I sometimes order a starter and a side salad instead of a main course, which usually resolves the problem of chips with everything.

With family – recently we have been seeing elderly relatives in their garden, and they gently suggested if I would like to bring lunch for all of us they would pay one time and we could pay the next time (like when we used to go out to eat), as then they were sure of us eating what we wanted to eat. I thought that was very considerate, so took various bits of sliced beef/ham/chicken/prawns, salad, cheese, olives, coleslaw, potato salad for them, and some bread rolls for them. For dessert, we had berries and cream, and I bought them a small meringue nest each for their dessert. The last time we visited, they felt confident enough to cater, having seen what we were “allowed” to eat.

We’re at a wedding this weekend, so no influence over what is served, and no idea of the menu either. We will eat what is available, to the best of our ability to keep low carb, but some alcohol will be consumed, and by Sunday evening we will be back on the wagon (if we do fall or falter).

Sorry to hear about your postal woes Wendy, I know I very much take for granted the Royal Mail service in the UK, which despite people’s complaints is fantastic! I had family in South Africa, and postage was just not an option due to the high levels of corruption and theft.

Have a good rest of your week everyone.

on

Hi everyone, it is HOT HOT HOT here – 36 today. Fortunately it is a very dry heat but it is still draining.
    Quetzel, I dont eat Indian food so cant help you there. Also my experience of visiting family and eating out while travelling around UK to visit friends and family read like a comedy programme. Restaurant who served my chips on a separate plate just in case I got tempted. That was the whole point of asking them not to give me any, temptation. We were a long table of about 10 people so my chips went to the other end of the room. Family member who didnt understand no carbs but also didnt understand I dont eat fish – yes, she served us fish and chips. Well it was Friday and its not proper fish is it!!!! Try saying you dont eat – and keep it simple like potatoes, rice or pastam you might have to add chips to that list as that is not a carb believe it or not. Ask for extra veg or salad. Sometimes you just have to put up with it and it wont last for long.

I havent lost any more weight although my daughter is down half a kilo – but this is for her. My blood glucose is steady and I have my insulin down to 15 units – down for an original 40 units. Would like to drop further but think I need a couple of kilos more off to bring my BG down further.

Stay cool everyone.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Boiling hot here! Back on diet and have lost 1 1/2 lbs since yesterday ๐Ÿ˜. Quetzel one of the meals I had when away was an Indian, I chose a curry I fancied and had just the dips with a spoon but no poppodums, a chickpea dish and onion bhaji, no rice, no bread, probably would go for tandoori next time tho.

• posted by LifeUniverseEverything
    on

What a week. Heatwave in the UK, antibiotics for a minor infection and my period showed up. Amazed I’ve not fallen completely off the wagon and into the biscuits!
    No loss to start week 4, but no gain (and my waist has dropped another half inch) so it’s not all bad. I’ll be pleased to have a few cool quiet days over the weekend where I have time to meal plan and prep for the next week, it’s just been so far from my mind these last 5 days when I’ve been feeling unwell.
    Great to read some positivity on here though! That’s lifted me right up.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

LUE, sounds like you got caught on a perfect storm last week, well done for not taking shelter in carnage. Starting the week with no gain and a missing half inch, seems to me very acceptable. Keep avoiding those carbs and you’ll be reporting a result on the scales soon. Have a good week.

• posted by Steph2
    on

Fantastic to hear so many stories of success, even long term. Iโ€™m not in ketosis any more but still losing. Itโ€™s week four for me and I guess your body stops ketosis after a bit. Body fat % is still coming down and weight is now down nearly 8kg. Waist dropped 6 inches in the first two weeks and nothing since. Hmm, think thatโ€™s my cue for sit-ups but not looking forward to that. My BMI is almost normal now which was an aim and would like to lose another 3-4 kg and then, maintain. Maintenance may be a challenge! How do manage maintenance without the undoing all your good work? Easier to stick to salads in this lovely weather but thereโ€™s also a delicious mushroom soup in the Fast800 recipe book I can recommend along with the Beef Rendang which has become an obsession itโ€™s so amazing. X

• posted by Antigone
    on

Evening All- hope you are enjoying the weekend. STEPH2- 8k in 4 weeks is incredible. I am inspired ๐Ÿ™‚
    LUE-Hope you are feeling better.
    ELLEMAE-1.5lbs in a day is some going..brilliant.
    RUBYG-Hope you coped with the wedding feast ok!
    SUNNYB-a good tip to take safe food with you ..
    JF- I haven’t eaten Indian food in soo long..my mouth is watering!
    QUETZAL – Good luck!
    WENDLEG- I am in Brittany. We may be a way North from you but it has been ridiculously hot here – thundery now.. Been here a while now so used to all the flippin paperwork now! It was a random post on a French FB group that brought the Fast 800 to my attention initially!
    Thank you for posting your blog SUNSHINEGIRL it’s really helpful – a brilliant resource.

on

Hi everyone, nearly through the weekend with no damage and not given in to temptation. Still only lost 0.2 kg but think I have done too much, exercise – and only ate 600 cals yesterday – quite by accident as I didnt fancy breakfast so did 17 hrs TRE and then only had my 2 meals. I tell other people that doing more just doesnt work as your body wants to protect itself but then I dont take my own advice.

Antigone – I didnt know anyone else was reading my blog except for Verano who has been there with me since day one. We were quite the trailblazers back then. I bet you all still get some snarky comments or strange looks when you talk about your diet. BTW I love your name. Are you a fan of Greek tragedy or the mythology surrounding it. BTW I am about 15km from Bergerac.

Quetzal, you are another favourite name of mine on here. Do you have anything to do with Guatemala or do you just like the name.

I wonder how some of you chose your names and are they really appropriate to you. I am sunshine girl because I used to call myself chubbychops and a psychiatrist friend said it was self name calling and I should change it to something cheery. Hence sunshine girl.

Much cooler here at around 23 and just a little bit of welcome rain. Not enough to wet the plants though. Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Steph2, great results! Don’t worry about slowing of either inch or pound decreases. This process is not linear and there will be puzzling stalls and even inexplicable small blips upwards, but it will all balance out and overall your results will be on a downward trajectory.
    SG, picking up on the how and why we chose the names we have, my story is kind of similar to yours. As someone who historically has been a glass half empty type, a few years ago I decided to make a conscious effort to be more positive, in an effort to retain my thinking. So I started little exercises like checking my inner dialogue and actively looking for positives. In the early days, I would do things like make myself write down 10 positive words each day. Anyway, that’s all a rambling way of saying, I chose SunnyB to help as part of my personal positivity campaign.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Steph2 absolutely brilliant weight loss well done. I had to look up the Beef Randang recipe online as had it once in Malaysia it was gorgeous, going to have to try it, maybe when weather cools down a bit. I have got back to below where I was before by 1/2 lb from going to Scotland, and OH who is half following the diet, just has the same dinner has lost 3lbs of weight he put on. My BMI is 25.9 ๐Ÿ˜ Couldn’t get back to walking as had bad sciatica but it’s improving now so 2nd day of back to walking. Having to wear a heart monitor for 3 days, be glad to get rid of it and take a shower tomorrow ๐Ÿ‘ƒ๐Ÿ˜‚. SG I chose my name because it was my name on a FB game Farmtown that I used to play.

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Steph2 – well done!
    Ella-Mae – wish I was very close to normal BMI, I will get there – slowly in that direction.
    Sunny-B – I like your positive attitude.
    Sunshinegirl – such a good name

Why I chose Quetzal? Quetzal is the national bird of Guatemala and is one of the most beautiful birds in the world. It is also an endangered species as its natural habitat (the rainforest in Central America) is getting smaller every year. I chose the name because a) the bird do not respond well to captivity and b) it is beautiful and a symbol of goodness and light.
    The name suits me because a) I have felt kind of trapped in way too much work and responsibilities, too much stress and after the last two pregnancies – also kind of trapped in my body (going from feeling strong and good-looking to being overweight, not liking myself and avoiding many things I like to do) and b) because I am a ‘helper’ – helping out professionally and privately. So the name is to remind me of being out in ‘the wild’ (physically active), to feel beautiful no matter what weight I have and be kind to everybody, including myself.

I feel I am really good at being physically active now. I eat better, the Indian food was great by the way (grilled marinated chicken and salad/vegetables). I found some of my old clothes that fit – I gave away three bags of too big clothes the other day. I swim everyday, go for long walks and plan mountain trips. It is a long way to normal BMI – but I will try to make the road there nice. I have realized that Fast 800 is not working during the holiday while visiting old family members, but I will do my best.
    And the forum is so helpful and a great source of goodness and inspiration. Thanks to you all.

-Quetzal

• posted by arcticfox
    on

S-g – so jealous of the rain, even a little bit! I’ve been on wildfire response for the last couple of weeks and the meterologist on our daily calls was pointing out this week that we have not had any appreciable rain since December! We did have a fair bit of snow through the winter though. It’s going to continue to be hot and dry here through the fall.
    I popped on here after an extended break to look for some zuchinnin/courgette recipes. I love them, but my garden has started to produce an overload of them. Any ideas appreciated! I found an old post of mine talking about a grilled zuchinni and haloumi salad. I’ve looked that one up again and think that is what I will be having tonight perhaps.
    I have been spending some time doing some reading and watching videos about lipedema. More and more I can see that I fit that pattern. In spite of really trying with my diet over the last few years, my legs have continued to grow, including my calves now which were always reasonably slim before. I always used to think when I saw pictures of myself riding horses that it looked like one of those mix and match photos. Calves and upper body were mine, but somebody else’s upper legs and hips in the middle.Now though my boots don’t even fit me anymore. I have so many of the symptoms including the painful fat in my saddle bag areas on my legs, the joint hypermobility, legs that swell up in the heat, easy bruising, etc. My mum and sister are the same, and my mum has the varicose veins as well. So now I’m just trying to figure out how to broach this with my gp without appearing that I’ve got Dr. Google syndrome and getting myself summarily dismissed.
    Anyway, off to make dinner and then out to water the garden. KOKO everyone.

on

Another pound lost this week. Less than previous weeks but continuing in the right direction. I just had 2 fasts this week and looking at my stats the difference between 2 and 3 does seem to make quite a big difference. I’ll aim for 3 again this week and see if progress speeds up again!

I’m ashamed to say that I still haven’t done any exercise despite committing on here previously that I would. Got to get back to it!

โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”
    Summary
    โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”
    Weeks 1-3: A bit of a false start โ€“ one good week and 2 bad and lost 1lb overall
    Week 4: Started intermittent fasting, finding fasting difficult, brain fog in afternoons โ€“ lost 1lb โ€“ total loss = 2lb
    Week 5: Brain fog much improved โ€“ getting used to it! Gain 2lbs. Total loss = 0lb
    Week 6: Continued 3 24 hour fasts a week. Lost 2lbs. Total loss = 2lbs
    Week 7: 2 fasts this week plus added low carb all week. Lost 1.5lbs. Total loss โ€“ 3.5lbs
    Week 8: 3 fasts + low carb. No brain fog anymore. Lost 2.5lbs. Total loss โ€“ 6lbs. No exercise in the last 5 weeks
    Week 9: 2 fasts + low carb. Lost 1lb. Total loss 7lbs. Still no exercise.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Back from the wedding, and doing a strict 800cals low carbs for the next few days – tomorrow’s weigh-in will show the extent of any damage done.
    The food choices weren’t great, very carb heavy – canapes mostly deep-fried somethings or little pastry things, main course not much meat at all (the veggie option was even more carb-heavy), one side of leafy greens and lots of carbs, and ice-cream for dessert, followed by a flatbread and kebab for the late session. Against the backdrop of our previous way of eating, I hardly ate anything so damage shouldn’t be too bad and I drank water all night and had one mouthful of cake which was off-the-scale sweet.
    Yesterday we were back on low carb but higher cals, and today will be on the chicken broth and probably something fishy for supper. Hubby had a slightly wider detour with a few drinks and more food, as he was hungry on Saturday (the carb monster had woken) and hangry yesterday.
    On a positive note, 2 other guests at our table are following the same WOE, and may friends who we haven’t seen in ages were asking what the secret was.
    Anyway, back on the plan this week, ODAAT!

• posted by Antigone
    on

Well done all!
    RUBYG-well done for resisting so much temptation.
    JF-slow and steady wins the race! 3 x 24hour fasts in a week? Such will power!
    ARCTIC FOX-our courgettes are just starting to crop too. Luckily we love them ๐Ÿ™‚ I have never heard of lipedema before…
    ELLE MAE- excellent farm name!
    QUETZAL
    SUNSHINE GIRL
    SUNNY B- You have lovely names with great, uplifting back stories. Yes Sunshine Girl, I do enjoy a bit of tragedy but rethinking my name now as it didnt end well for the original Antigone!
    I am going to really need you guys these next few weeks, with visitors arriving and meals to cook, it’s going to be tough!๐Ÿคž

on

Hi everyone, not much to say today as I should be on my way driving up through France to catch the ferry to England. All cancelled. Only good news is that Boris might put France back on the amber – no need to quarantine – list. Obviously that only applies to Brits returning and not to us going to UK. Main thing is daughter is booked for end of August and it might just be possible by then.

Articfox, we didnt get much rain but it has cooled down quite a bit from 36 to 26. I too have courgettes growing but they dont seem to want to get past the flowering stage. One thing I make as a snack are courgette pops (can be made with cauli, carrots etc). Grated and squeazed out courgette, add a tablespoon of chickpea flour and one egg, some salt, pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, whatever floats your boat. Make into little nubs and sit on greasedproof paper, in oven about 20 mins until brown and crispy. Or using same mix, make them into pancakes.

Antigone, I didnt want to mention her tragic death – hey ho, it is a nice name.
    Quetzel – I guess you also know the quetzel is the currency of guatamala as well as the bird. Named after their beautiful bird of course.

Have a good week, I will try to take my mind off things and get on with some painting (art not decorating).

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone !
    I’m not really on the ball with everything , stuff seems to take over these days so I don’t get the time I would like to catch up, but I’m still here and glad to see you are being well looked after by Sunny and SG .
    I am , however, going to set up the new weekly thread ……
    Wendy
    PS wendleg is nothing exotic, nothing to do with my legs, it’s an amalgamation of my maiden and married names !

• posted by ellie666
    on

So 1st time posting in one of these threads!
    I’m into week 2 of my full on 800 and have to admit i think I’m cheating a little, an extra egg with breakfast or a ton of salad with my meals just to make them a bit bigger.
    The amount of times I’ve made a lovely meal and the serving size is ludicrous!
    I also struggle to get my head around and friends worry about the fact that I’m living of 800 calories (maybe 900!) And that’s the same allowance for some one with a bmi of 25 as it is for me with one of 35.
    Saying that I’ve lost a stone but can see no difference. Don’t really know what I’m expecting.
    Anyway will continue probably as i need to but really struggling with meal choices already ๐Ÿ™

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Ellie … welcome! Firstly great result, so regardless of a few extra calories, you must be doing something right. Secondly, it’s a huge learning curve in the early days and takes awhile for it all to become second nature, but it will happen. Getting used to weighing, measuring and recording all you consume is important, as it teaches us about portion sizes, making it easier later, for when we eat out and for maintenance.
    Are you following the recipes in the book, or adapting your own? If the latter, I’d advise keeping things simple …. a protein source and salad/veg is a good basic approach. Make herbs and spices your friend, as these help to keep things interesting, changing the same basic ingredients into something different each time. Try taking a look at the recipes available on this website and google low carb dishes, to give yourself some variety too.
    Try not to be swayed by opinion of others, you are doing this for yourself, for your own health and wellbeing. There are plenty of us here who can attest to the safety and success of the BSD approach and it’s backed by very solid research and evidence too.

Finally, hope you will stick with it and join us on the new weekly thread, which has 27th July in it’s title. Look forward to seeing you over there.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Welcome to the weekly thread Elliott.
    How long has it taken you to lose 1 stone? You’re doing well, keep going. That’s a stone less than you were, how much are you hoping to lose?
    Also, you didn’t gain the weight overnight, it will not disappear overnight, but following this way of eating it will disappear and you will learn new habits to keep it off.
    A couple of comments to put your mind at rest – you are not really living on 800 (or 900) cals – you are living off all the meals you’ve stored over the years in the form of body fat. My hubby had a problem to start with when he realised that we were both eating 800cals a day, and I am a foot shorter than him and 5st lighter than him – however he loses weight at twice the rate I lose weight, and as we’ve moved into maintenance he is eating more than me again, but we are eating the right things.
    My advice would be ignore the comments from friends and family that 800cals is not sustainable, that losing weight too quickly is dangerous and again not sustainable – there are enough success stories on here to disprove that.
    Last question – are you also keeping your carbs low or very low, or just aiming for 800cals – what are you currently eating every day?
    If you give us an idea of what you do and don’t like to eat, people on here have very inventive ways of making 800cals feel like a feast.

Please log in or register to post a reply.