One week at a time beginning 1st December 2020

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, nothing as energetic as Zumba for me today, just a relaxing spa morning with shower, shave (underarm jungle) and a facial then lots of body lotion and a pedicure as best I can reach my feet. Feel nice a scented.
    James, I have to agree with Wendleg, the amount of carbs you are eating are no where near being a low carb diet never mind keto. You ask if we have carbs in the evening and the answer is I dont EVER eat what you know as carbs like bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, breakfast cereals and so on and even keep oats as a one a fortnight breakfast just to have a change. In which case it is 20g oats soaked overnight with almond milk and some raisins or mixed berries and then sprinkled with crushed walnuts for some crunch in the morning. It is up to you what you eat but you are here because you hope this diet will be the answer – and it will if you follow it a bit more carefully. You are doing this to improve your health and that is great motivation but I think you are resentful that you are having to do this and that you are ill at all. I know with my diabetes I sometimes just want to be like everyone else and say, sod it I’m going to have x y or z. But I cant and it is as simple as that. My husband has AF and has no problems with this diet and medical indicators, although he does have the occasional slice of bread at lunch. Even without having to push him as this is my diet, he has started saying no when I offer to make him a separate portion of mash or rice. Believe it, he has just gone off that stuff and you will too when you get your head around it all. Do you have anyone at home supporting you. We are all here for you and will help as much as possible but no-one here wants to be telling you what to do, it has to come from you. Do you do a meal plan for the coming few days or a week, it helps if you know what you are having and have everything in. Stick with us James and we will help you through this. Although I did laugh when you said ‘Dr said 2 more stone and I think 50% of your problems go overnight.’. There is nothing overnight about it, it is going to be a long slog and that is not to put you off but to prepare you for this challenge.

I wont advise on recipe books as Wendleg has made some great suggestions but can you say which ones you already have – The BSD recipe book and the Fast 800 recipe book are great resources if you havent already got them. Keep going James.

• posted by Rainey
    on

Right you are, sunshine-girl! I find, once I made it a part of my day, that the hard part was getting on the machines. Once I overcome the inertia, I just go til I’ve got it done and feel both energized physically and very satisfied with myself that I can check it off.

WindyJulz, you point out that we’re all individuals and have different habits and needs. It’s so true. And, of course, hitting things on all fronts is going to have the most results in the most areas of our lives.

wendleg, I’d give my right arm for some Christmas oysters. They’re not prevalent in Los Angeles and I can’t shuck ‘em if I found ‘em. But I’ll think of you enjoying yours!

Hi LR800. I previously did 5:2 with great success and a perfectly easy road once I nailed the habit. I lapsed too and regained most of my weight. That’s why I’m back here trying again. Turns out what was easy for me before it a hard slog this time with — this is complicated — very *different* results. I lose weight but my body doesn’t change in the same way it did. Previously, I about dropped a jeans size every 3-4 weeks. Altho I’ve lost about 25 pounds on BSD I am only down a single jeans size. …and that happened in the first couple weeks of the 16 weeks I’ve been at this. Still, *very* much worth the effort! No doubting that. But *different* to be sure. Of course, in my case — I’m 73 — an aged and slowed metabolism should probably be factored into my results. I wish you more satisfactory results but I also join you in pushing through regardless.

James, my husband has atrial fibs to the point where he’s had *several* ablations to try to arrest them. Thank god, we no longer have midnight runs to the ER with arrhythmias but he’ll live with some flutter for good. What I’m saying is that I’m *deeply* sympathetic because I know what it does to your life. Meanwhile, as a person who’s spent a life obsess and addicted to carbs, I’m sympathetic on that front too. I can remember a very kind nurse urging me to lose weight in the most empathetic way possible — as opposed to the doctors who were pretty blunt about it. She asked me to just think about having some tuna salad instead of turning it into a sandwich. I cried all the way home in my car. But the other ladies are right. It’s just a reality that you can’t eat carbs and lose weight. And it sounds like your doctors are telling you that it may also be a reality that if you can lose weight you could avoid things like ablations. Internet text can’t convey the empathy very well but I hope you can feel it. It *is* an addiction and, as hard as it can seem to beat it, there is a wealth of good things on the other side when you cut them out. Those cravings for carbs that make you feel you need to eat when you know damned well you just finished eating an hour ago VANISH and life becomes simpler and you become healthier and more things become possible.

• posted by Rainey
    on

James, there’s a diet I had good results with many many years ago called The Carbohydrate Addict’s Diet. You might look for some info about it. Basically, it was aimed at treating metabolic disorders surrounding the effects of carbs on insulin. In their method they recommended limiting carbs to one meal a day. As I said, I had success with it. I got relief from the carb cravings by having my carbs at my last meal of the day and letting my body react to them overnight when I was less sensitive to the effects. That might be a way to begin working them out of your life.

• posted by wendleg
    on

SG what a lovely idea to have a relaxing spa morning. I rarely shave my legs these days as they are often shrouded in woolly tights or leggings . Sorry if that is too much information !!! 😉 I must take a leaf out of your book and get defuzzing !! Thanks for giving James such good , sound advice. Isn’t this forum brilliant in that lots of us have had similar experiences and I am sure James will find encouragement in all the kind advice given. You are always very wise too Rainey xx

I have just done a nice hip and shoulder stretching pilates session so noone can say I have been a total slob today despite the fuzzy legs. I think I will sort that tomorrow morning . Getting my hair cut and coloured next Saturday which will be a real treat .

The weekend often brings its temptations so if that is the case I hope you are coping xxx

• posted by Riccoh
    on

I’m back on track today and back to posting. The good news is I managed to maintain my 10k loss during the month I had off. Now to lose the other 20k. I’m not waiting until the New Year. I know it will be easy to manage over Christmas. Here in Australia our Christmas lunch is usually seafood, salad and fruit platters!!
    I had half my thyroid out last week. I am told the other half will compensate. I”m a little worried my metabolism will slow down. Has anyone else been in the same position?
    Take Care everyone.

• posted by Rainey
    on

Good to hear that Australian Christmas is kinder to the scales but sorry to hear about your thyroidectomy.

I had a bit more than half of mine taken out a long time ago. The doctor hoped what remained could compensate but, in my case, it couldn’t. I’ve been on thyroxin ever since. But the good news is A) your body is your body and may behave differently, B) there *are* effective substitutes and C) a good exercise regimen will provide lots more benefits than just a metabolism boost.

I hope the removal resolved whatever issue required it. In my case, it proved unnecessary. What they thought was a cancer was simply an anomaly. But my biopsy got booted all the way to the Mayo Clinic to make that final determination.

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Thanks Rainey. Two biopsies were unable to give a result so a suspicious nodule had to go, along with half the thyroid. I do realise the possible slowing of my metabolism is manageable. I really would like to avoid taking thyroxin but I know the Thyroid controls a multitude of functions so I suppose I will need to wait and see. I’d be interested to know about the substitutes you mention. Do you take them yourself?

• posted by Rainey
    on

I take L-Thyroxine, a generic form of Synthroid. I suspect, however, things will have different names in Australia. I don’t know how many other options there are.

Regardless of what I take, your doctors will be the best advocates for you. They’ll help you through this.

I’m not a fan of introducing chemicals into my body either but without the hormone the thyroid produces there’s more to consider than your metabolism. If I let my level drop I start getting terrible cramps that disturb my sleep repeatedly through the night. One was severe enough to snap the ligament that anchors my toes. My smaller toes have migrated outward and I now have a foot that resembles a chimpanzee’s and doesn’t fit into shoes. My remedy is an extensive surgery with a 6-month recovery (at 73 who knows if I have 6 month?) or amputating a toe to make room for the others that crowd it so I’m stepping on my own toe as I walk. Be open to what your body requires to continue functioning effectively!

Talk to them about your concerns. Listen to their advice. Hope really hard that your remaining thyroid can keep up with the demand. Just because mine didn’t doesn’t mean yours won’t.

on

Hi everyone, still doing fine and not upset my weekend with any vino treats. Weight steady so hope to be starting next week at my lowest level since it was at my lowest level a couple of weeks ago before I messed it up. You all know what I mean.

Riccoh, my daughter was diagnosed with under active thyroid when she was in her late 20’s, no idea why and nothing to do with surgery. Anyway, it was discovered because she was piling on weight and had a sympathetic doctor who didnt just tell her to go on a diet but did loads of tests. She has been taking thyroxine ever since and, besides having some ups and downs until they got the dose right, she has no problems at all. She still gets her levels checked from time to time but mainly if there have been dramatic changes in her life i.e. she had an hysterectomy recently but left her ovaries but they still are keeping an eye on her. You can have a perfectly normal life even with the drugs. I didnt know about the foot problems but thinking about it my daughter had inturned toes (like a claw) that was attributed to her being a runner. She had surgery to release the tendons and she is fine. Must mention it to her.

Anyway, I am going for a walk in a minute as it is a bright and sunny day here in France but dont feel jealous, it is freezing cold. My apps says 6 degrees but feels like 2. Thanks app. Have a good rest of the weekend.

on

Just been for my walk and it was bl00000000000dy freezing. So only did 20 mins – should have worn a hat. Picked the right time as the sky has just gone very black so it could be rain on the way. On the subject of exercise I saw a quote on another site that said
    If taking a rest day is harder than the exercise you know you are hooked.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Just a quick hello and hug to Riccoh ! Good to see you back with us . I have very fond memories of some glorious fish and sea food in Tasmania, sigh ! I ‘m sorry I can’t help you with the thyroid issues but many thanks to Sunshine Girl and Rainey for stepping in to share their experience..
    Glad you’ve had a good weekend SG. It is very cold here too . I had to do a bit of Pilates stretching to warm up …I think I am a bit hooked 😉

Hope everyone is ok xx

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Thank you Rainey, sunshine-girl and wendleg. I’m happy to be back on board again.

• posted by EllieAllegra
    on

Hi everyone – so, Day 1 for me today…again. Not been too bad but have felt very hungry this evening (probably from exertion putting up the decorations!). Still, I’ve made it…may need more water but I have some new teas to try. I must be mad to start just before the holidays, but I don’t want to start another new year at a higher weight than the one before…I’m determined to lose a few pounds by January 1st! Hope everyone is doing well. I have a very long journey ahead of me, but have made a start 🙂

on

Hi everyone, survived the weekend unscathed and managed to lose another one tenth of a kilo, still not hitting the 12 stone goal (one of my goals) but only half a pound to go. So many mixed up weight measurements but I work in kilos in France and pounds and stone for UK (daughter). Gives me three chances to lose weight. Still need to lose 2.25 lbs to reach my Christmas goal. Notice also I use fractions and percentages – that is because I cant type halves and quarters etc on my computer. Makes life interesting!!!!

What news, none. Still exercising. Had my very cold walk for 20 mins yesterday and did 30 mins aerobics this morning. Hoping my persistence will pay off and I will tip under 12 stone by the end of the week.

I know the news of the vaccine is some of the best news of this century but I dont get the impression people are getting very excited. Maybe when we have all had it (those who need it) and able to get out and about safely there will be celebrations everywhere. Maybe there should be a public holiday date announced like the end of the war.

Have a good week.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone . We have had a grey Monday here so I didn’t do a great deal but refuse to feel guilty about that. Pilates, some daytime Tv , reading , a tin of sardines with salad for lunch ! Dinner is fresh tuna with veggies . Not very exciting but simple is ok

You are getting closer to your goal SG , well done on surviving your weekend. Yes, the French are very reticent about the vaccine but we don’t have any other options and I will take it .

I am going to set up the new thread now xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.