One week at a time beginning 16th March 2021…on we go in 2021 !

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Another week has gone by ! How has it been for you ? Ok ish for me but work to do on you know what !!

Let’s continue to support each other . We have a lovely supportive community and we can be relied on to encourage, motivate, commiserate, whatever you need .

Noone is perfect but we have cracked certain things and we are always learning !!

Please feel free to join us whatever stage you are at .

We hope to see you soon !

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshine girl

• posted by wendleg
    on

THE list !!
    wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta

• posted by wendleg
    on

My fasting day turned into OMAD today . No excuse, just that it was a bit grey and dreary ! My commitment is NO NUTS and to rein in the choc consumption. I know, I know !!!

Hubby had his first dose of the AZ vaccine this morning before France suspended its use ( awaiting decision from the EMA tomorrow )
    I am now on the list at the docs so that is progress .

Shoulder still a bit sore but I am doing the exercises .

Enough of me, how are you all doing ? xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for the new thread Wendy. OMAD is a good fall back. Glad your shoulder is improving.

For me, last week was another marking time …. a few downs and ups on the scales, but great the new week where I started the last one. Soooooo, time to double down and make the week count.

Hope your week went well, but is not, don’t dwell … just dust off and focus on what you can achieve this week.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone during the coming days, so please remember to post.🙂

• posted by Britta
    on

You two are such stars, feels like ‘coming home’ to start another weekly thread! As you know I had so much fun last time I decided to put all the weight back on again just so that I could have another go!
    So far so good, I won’t say that 800 calories are easy, but certainly easier than the first time round. I’m beginning to feel stronger and even dared the scales this morning so that I have a new baseline. I’ll stay clear of them till next week though and just keep an eye on when I begin to fit into my clothes again. Just need to get back into doing some planning.
    I cant riddle out what OMAD is though?
    Good week everyone!

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry Britta

OMAD is One Meal A Day
    Aka what happens when wendleg doesn’t manage the usual fast 😉

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Hi all, had a good week, maintained again. Utilised OMAD on 2 days, which seems to be working for me. Whilst weight hasn’t changed chest stomach and waist measurements all reduced, so somethings working. Hope everyone else is still doing well.

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi all

How is it 16th March already?? Crazy!

Wendy I wonder if you have heard of comfrey ointment – my mum has arthritis in her hands (which I know is not what you have in your shoulder but pain is pain!) and I read about comfrey ointment for pain relief – I got her some and she was really sceptical because it literally smells of NOTHING so she just couldn’t understand how it worked, but it does help apparently. I bought it on Amazon and it wasn’t expensive. She also had frozen shoulder some years ago and had acupuncture for it – might be worth trying once lockdown ends!

I’m still plodding along, losing 1-2lb a week which could be more but it’s better than nothing, feeling a bit of a mountain to climb with just under 5st to lose till I hit the top target of my healthy BMI (currently 17st 4lb, was 19st 4.6lb on 28th Dec when I started, and 5’ 10” tall so I’m fortunate in that I carry my weight quite well).

My target for this week is to try and get more into walking again, I was being really good and going out every day for 7000 steps but work has been really busy and I’ve been trying to get DIY done in the evenings and it takes so much time, also getting very bored tramping round the same routes in my tiny village, and can’t branch out yet due to covid! I’d love to be able to do more intense exercise as it would at least be quicker but unfortunately I just can’t tolerate it with my ME and I just end up unwell. The other problem I have is just I don’t really enjoy exercise, even walking I just find quite tedious and I get very achy very quickly. I’ve never been that person who gets a buzz after doing exercise, I just hurt, feel tired and hate being all sticky and dirty! So I need to try and motivate myself for that!

I have a very first world problem at the moment – as I’ve lost two stone I now definitely need new clothes, however I don’t want to spend a fortune as I intend to lose weight. However, although we’re not getting married in April we are still going on our “honeymoon” (a treehouse in Bath followed by a log cabin in Wales!!) but I really do look like a bag lady at the mo in my baggy old clothes, it’s fine wandering round the house with only the fiancé and cats and people at work only able to see my head on Zoom but I can’t go out in public like this. SO I need new clothes. BUT I LOATHE clothes shopping, I have zero clue what size to go into (currently size 22 jeggings from Tesco are literally falling down, but size 20 from Asda still seem quite snug!) and also the shops don’t open again till after I go away, soooooo im going to have to do some guesswork online or in the supermarkets – no idea where to start as I did my measurements yesterday and they are bonkers, do not fit into any “normal” size – my hips are measuring at about a size 82 (exaggeration) but waist probably a 20ish but bust is still resolutely ginormous (46 GG ) by my calculations! Sooooo I’m confused!

Anywho, that was longer than I intended it to be so pip pip cheerio and ttfn peeps

Lauren x

• posted by Smead01
    on

So happy to be part of this wonderful group!

Three days in and the weight is falling off and I feel wonderful. Sleep has improved and I am so pleased to be doing something for myself. Love to know why and when to try one meal a day that people are talking about.

Thanks
    Samantha

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

Ok, I’m in!! Been AWOL for a few weeks but not wildly off plan…well, lowish carb and too many calories but I’ll get to me in a minty, first off….
    Hiya Britta – lovely to see you back, think you started this journey about the same time as me, March / April last year. Sorry you have had to come back but lovely to see you. I’ve put on a bit since the initial discard, kinda reached goal (although i moved the goalposts) but the last 4 months have been a challenge. Hoping the return of spring and daffodils will spur me on! we can do this!!

Lauren, your posts always make me smile and care. You are so positive and kind and have a good attitude to challenges.
    Re the walking – I used to find it pretty dull and soul destroying but in the past 12 months I have walked up and down out quiet country road SO many times and have found a way to enjoy it, despite it being very repetitive. I listen to music – my own odd collection which makes me smile or reflect, i try to look for something new on the journey every time – a different bird, a change in a flower, a neighbours new car, something silly in a garden, and i try to breath in the fresh air and feel like i am ‘enjoying’ the fine things around me. Sounds silly, but looking for peace in my surroundings, acceptance of life and of myself. Its then not about just walking, the walking is almost incidental, but it is a therapeutic process. If my husband comes with me we talk – like really talk, no screens or music or anything, just the two of us. What I’m getting at, is dont focus on it being exercise, its therapy, its good for your body and your mind and your soul. You can simply up the intensity by going brisker as and when you feel you can – even brisk from one lamp post to the next, then easy for 3 lamp posts. Play with it, see how you feel, but relax about it and enjoy the time spent doing nothing else. Also clothing – yup supermarket elasticated things will be the way to go as an interim ‘try not to look like bag puss’ option. My late mum, bless her, lost a load of weight eating low carb, and she then started to feel the cold and would sit in an old pinky-purple fleece and i swear she looked like bagpuss. Nice memory laughing about it with her, giving her a hug, telling her i was proud of her. Anyway, go elasticated and embrace the baggy look – you earned it!!

Smead01 – sounds like you are smashing it! Brilliant, the feeling wonderful is as important as the drop in weight! Go you. Worry about OMAD options later, get into the routine and understand the way of eating for now and if you need to mix it up later then its a useful tool, or if you have a meal out planned (if that becomes a thing again) then you can have one meal that day to allow for 2 courses or bigger portions.

Redrooster – good work!! Sure does sound like its working!!

Wendy – as always thank you for the thread and your general awesomeness. I relate to so many of your posts it is uncanny. I do hope the shoulder is ok. Shoulder pain is very unpleasant and its surprising how much you use your shoulders without realising it – until it hurts!!

Ok, so ive been quiet, but on a bit of a learning process. So I have upped my running (I know, I’d never had believed it either) running regular 10 or 15ks at the weekends and a couple of 5ks through the week. I did 10 days being strict, and admittedly with a few longer fasts thrown in, and i had a handful of awful runs. I think more to do with lack of salt and electrolytes but still, it was yukky. And i honestly, want to keep up the running and fitness, it has been amazingly therapeutic through the winter. Anyhow, I am trying desperately to really listen to my body and feed it appropriately, but this is hard as my brain is naughty and tries to tell me my body wants more than it does and some of the wrong stuff. So, I am on a mission to find the balance and the right nutrition. I’ve not been logging food (in denial) so i will get back to that, analyse what im eating better and how i feel as a result. Hopefully i can find the right thing and get back toward goal weight. In an ideal world i would still like to drop 14lbs from where I am now, which would be 6lbs below lightest ever and give me a bit of wiggle room. This sure is a voyage of self discover isnt it. And it has heled me in so many ways beyond weight control.
    SunnyB – I like the “make the week count” – im up for that attitude!!

Have a good week everyone.
    Julz

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thanks for the new thread, we’re still here, plodding along and finding our way for the long haul. Hubby had a small loss since Friday, I found a pound over the weekend but should shed it again and show a week-on-week loss when we weigh again on Friday. I have ordered the book “Why we get fat……” so that should be delivered in the next day or so.

Responding to a few topics:
    Arnica oil is fantastic for muscles and joints (not cheap, available on Amazon), many (very many) moons ago it was recommended by my chiropractor, and now we always have a bottle in the house.

Lauren – your 1-2lb a week is a good, sustainable rate, you are doing very well. I too hate exercise for the sake of it, and although it has many health benefits, what you eat has a far greater effect on weight loss than the amount of exercise you do. Keep moving as much as feels comfortable with your ME but don’t beat yourself up about it – my opinion anyway.

Clothes shopping – if you’re in the UK, I have used Premier Man (online) for many years, and their returns policy is quite forgiving, so sometimes I order in 2 different sizes. My problem is that although I am short, sometimes ordering trousers or jeans in short length means they are ankle-skimmers, and I would be better off with a regular leg length. Maybe focus on a couple of key items of clothing which will get you through the next few months.

Sleep – my sleep pattern is appalling! We have fitness trackers for the first time ever, and his shows almost 50% deep sleep to light sleep every night, with beautiful big bands of deep sleep. Mine looks like a very bad bar chart of short bouts of deep sleep interspersed in light sleep, with about 25% of my sleep as deep sleep. It’s rubbish! I don’t feel any more tired, so this may just be the way I sleep.

Have a good week everyone!

• posted by ScottM
    on

Good mornning all!
    Lovely to see so many positive vibes here 🙂
    I’ve been hiding in the background the last couple of weeks – work has barely left me with time to think of late!
    I’ve now reached the end of week 8 and have lost a total of 34lbs (15.4KG for you modern folks). Down a total of 3 inches in the waist and hips and like Lauren, i plan to lose more weight so I dn’t want to buy new clothes! I invested ina pair of braces from Amazon for £6 XD Hopefully they’ll keep me going! I plan another 4 weeks on 800 cals as I’d still like to lose the same weight again overall.

A big positive, and hopefully some inpiration for anyone who is having a tough week – 8 weeks ago, I went to the GP and was diagnoses with Type 2 diabetes, my BMI was in the obese category and my lowest blood pressure reading (after 6 attempts) was 149/110. My GP told me to go on a 900 calorie diet and I found the BSD. I’ve stuck to it religiously over the last 8 weeks and was back at the nurse on Thursday past to get another blood test (results due tomorrow so fingers crossed) and my blood pressure rechecked. My blood pressure was back in the middle of the normal range. The nurse was extremely surprised when he realised I wasn’t on any blood pessure medication and when he asked how I’d done it, I explained what i’d done and how much weight i lost. He was blown away and said that it was an example of how much difference lifestyle changes can make!
    This new way of eating has really opened my eyes to the possibilities that changes in lifestyle can make. I have always struggled with willpower but if I can do this, so can everyone else. There will be some tough days, but you can persevere.
    I will try to be less of a stranger and here’s to another 4 weeks. Now I just need to get back on that exercise bike……

Take care!
    Scott

• posted by Mokovex
    on

Hello,
    I hope it’s ok to show my virtual face here again?

I followed BSD back in 2017 and got to a great place with my weight, body fat measurements, and crucially, health markers. My routine at that point was at the same time every morning, I would log on to this forum, read and post. It kept me accountable and basically on track. I then followed 16:8 which worked for me and kept everything stable. Then my job and thus routine changed so I stopped checking in. Covid times = +1.5st and feeling dog rough. Hubby and I are now back on it and on day 1.

Looking forward to going back through the posts and seeing how everyone is doing and generally getting reacquainted with life lived a bit better.

• posted by DebOFlo
    on

Hello all 🙂
    Well I’m starting today and hoping this is going to be “THE ONE”!
    I have dieted on and off my whole life (I’m 56) but lose the weight and put it back on every time.
    I realise it needs to be a way of eating rather than a diet and now I feel is my time to do it.
    I have started walking 3 times a week and doing 10 mins yoga every morning, I’m feeling good about making this mpart of my daily/weekly routine. i just need to get my weight under control.
    I need to lose around 25lbs and i feel now is the perfect time to do it as we hopefully come into the lighter evenings and sunnier days.
    I find the weekends the hardest, from Friday night through to sunday night, I ruin all the good work I’ve put in the rest of teh week! Self sabotage I think its called? Any tips to help me stop this would be very much appreciated 🙂
    looking forward to joining you all on this exciting journey 🙂
    Debi

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, Britta, Mokovex always good to see people come back. Smead, so glad you have stayed with us and you are doing so well. Great to hear your story ScottM, brilliant weight loss and good luck with your BG results. It is good your doctor is on board but even better that you can prove to the medical world that this diet really does work.

On that note, I had my blood tests this morning and my results are in. BG slightly lower (6.1 down from 6.2) cholesterol up to 4.0 from 3.7 and triglycerides the same as last time. So everything good and within normal range. Hubby decided to have his annual blood works this morning and is worried now. His cholesterol is up but still normal but his fasting BG is up. It is only a smidge above normal at 1.26 (was 1.19) chart says 1.20 is normal so anything above that gets an asterisk. Although he has no bg problems he has been sort of following my diet but I have seen more and more carbs creeping in, and very bad carbs at that. For example, he would have have a pizza once a month if that. Now he is buying when they are on offer so gets 3 to freeze and eats one a week. He doesnt see it but I do and if I mention it he tells me to leave him alone. He is not due to see the doctor for a couple of weeks so I will see if he makes any changes. This is just an illustration of how things can creep up on you without realising it. I see the doctor on Friday and I am sure he will be happy with my results and I have already lost 1lb from the 2.5 I want to lose by then. Will remain strict and have added in an extra exercise day today so.

Heres to another productive and happy week. Stay safe everyone.

• posted by Goforgoal
    on

Hi all,
    thanks for your support and warm welcome wendleg, Smead01, Britta, florob85, sunshine-girl, SunnyB, Workingfromthefridge and others. It means a lot. Night before my starting day I was lying in bed thinking blah, I don´t want to weigh in, what´s the use – just another attempt to lose weight which will end like all the rest of them. The next morning I felt a bit better. Glad I did weigh in on Saturday. I knew I had to for the record. It was 112 kg which is a positive, I thought it might be 115-116 kg. I didn´t have appetite so I fasted the whole Saturday – I suppose my body had to burn through the heaps of junk food I had the day before! I jumped straight into lowish carb 850 cals from Sunday and it has been easier than I thought. I had a bit of carb flu but mostly passed now. On Sunday and Monday I also had a huge sugar craving right after my main meal – could have robbed the sweet shop or eaten the wall!! So I had an apple. That really helped. Never has an apple tasted so good! Today that sugar craving did not appear. I still had a few strawberries after an afternoon walk with my dog. I drink a lot of water now, I started with tap water but have moved on to fizzy water. I bought some herbal tea and have it every day. All in all I already feel much lighter – mostly in the mind so far! I do believe in the Med diet´s positive effects on the mental side of things. Smead01 and Britta – good to hear the start is going well for you. Britta I also log my weight in the Fatsecret app. Florob85 and ScottM – what great weight losses in such short time frames, gives me hope! Thanks for the good advice Florob. I started adding more salt in my food. Mokovex and DebOFlo, wishing you all the best. I shall pop in to log my weigh-in at the weekend. Have a good week all.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone

OMAD is my strategy during the week I have decided ! I have become aware that if I have lunch I then start feeling the pull of the almond jar in the afternoon, or the odd chunk of cheese ( Pecorino is my fave ) . When I commit to just one evening meal I find I don’t think about snacking and just drink my different teas and coffees , looking forward to my meal later.

Also … VERY important for me . I am actually HUNGRY and ready to savour my meal around 7pm and so feel more satisfied . Does that make sense ?

I plan my evening meal , today was baked salmon with lime zest , steamed chard and a dollop of kimchi . I can also factor in a couple of squares of my beloved choc !!! So how’s that for a plan ??

😉

I am aware that it is not advisable to do OMAD too regularly as the body gets used to it and it can stall any weight discard . I will switch things up at the weekend to keep my body guessing . I don’t weigh myself very often but I have a pair of Boden jeans I found on Vinted and they are a bit tight on the belly bits .

Smead/ Samantha .. as Julz as said , just carry on doing what you are doing at the moment as it is working and you are feeling good . We just switch things up now and again with a bit of intermittent fasting, one meal a day, skipping breakfast etc but it’s not necessarily what you have to do and certainly not as you are starting out .

Julz your fitness regime is very impressive !! You are in Scotland and it’s not even warm !! Absolutely brilliant ! I love that you are learning so much about yourself all the time . I wish I had found this way of eating years ago . It would have spared me a lot of heart ache and not liking myself much .

Lauren I reckon you need a few charity shop visits when they open ?? No point in buying expensive gear if your dress size is reducing . I am a bit of a Vinted addict which allows you to buy nice stuff at really reasonable prices ( if you know how brands size their clothes ) I have sold quite a bit too . I honestly would not buy new now , just preloved or new second hand clothes .

By the way 1 to 2lbs a week is great . I lost 5 stone overall and I was a serial dieter . You can do it . You are going to look great in your new clobber and you are enviably tall !
    I’m only 5ft 4 ins.

You will probably feel more like walking or other exercise when the Spring weather and light evenings draw you outdoors . That’ s lovely to have your ‘honeymoon ‘ to look forward to !

Thanks for all the tips for my shoulder . I am getting hubby to massage my shoulder and upper arm with Tiger balm which is a really potent embrocation . It is soothing just to keep my arm mobile as well as doing my gentle exercises . Ruby , the French love arnica gel and cream and I got used to slapping it on my boys bruises on a daily basis . It’s easily available here but I haven’t tried the oil version . Comfrey is a new one for me Lauren but I will investigate . I like a bit of foraging !

Keep going Ruby ! I found reading really helped me to understand this way of eating and when you get to the point where it all clicks and makes sense then there is no looking back . Let me know if you are looking for any other recommendations as well as the Gary Taupes books. If you are not feeling tired, maybe your sleep patterns are ok ? Hubby had really poor quality of sleep which was a consequence of severe sleep apnea which has resulted in one of those machines .

Blimey, that’s a brilliant result Scott ! Well done ! Brilliant that you could impress your medical team with your numbers too !

Hi Mokovex ! Hi DebOflo ! Welcome to you both. You are both on the list now . Keep checking in with us . It does take a bit of time to adjust to this way of eating but you can both get to where you want to be, you really can . Weekend self sabotage does tend to be a pattern . Try to plan your meals, adding in something you perceive as a treat ( not chips or pizza;-) ) , maybe a more sophisticted menu so you don’t feel you are missing out on anything ?? Sunny and her hubby enjoy spectacular meals on Friday evening !!

Good results agin SG, but we xpect no less , you are so focused . About hubby’s results … is his doc concerned ? It took a pre diabetic warning to encourage my hubby to make changes . He tends to listen more to the doc than my gentle nagging !!! He still likes his peanuts, crisps and daily slice of bread but he has generally adapted to a form of low carb eating that suits him . He has a blood test coming up soon so I will let you know his results .

So glad you decided to stick with the way of eating and the thread, Goforgoal and it’s brilliant that you are feeling the benefits already . You will have some tough days , inevitably , often linked to a dip in mood and then flagging motivation but don’t give up ! You have the right attitude, making changes, testing out how you get on . Ask any questions you need to . There is bound to be one of us who has ben there, done that !!

Keep going Britta ! So pleased you feel just as comfortable with us as last time !

Well done too Redrooster !

Wishing you all a great week xxx Check in when you can everyone xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great to see so many people getting onboard with the thread this week.
    Lauren, 1-2lb is not to be sniffed at …. every pound down is one less to worry about. Dress sizes are a difficult one, as not only can they vary brand to brand, but from style to style too! However, as you’ve identified what legging size doesn’t fit from two outlets and why, try ordering one or two sizes up or down (as appropriate). Loose tops are less of an issue, as they are not likely to end up around your knees!
    Smead, sounds like things are going well so far, shout if the going gets tough.
    Julz, good to see you posting again. I too find if I want to drop pounds, I have to log what’s consumed, otherwise I seem to just coast and maintain.
    Ruby, weekends are a stumbling block for many … me included. Somehow it’s harder to stay focused from Friday evening to Monday morning. With regard to your disrupted sleep, have you tried meditating? I find it really helps me sleep better.
    Scot, excellent results all round! You’ve done brilliantly.
    Mokovex, welcome back… sorry you find yourself here, but getting back to basics will soon see you returned to where you want to be.
    Deb, good to have you with us. You’re sounding very focused and like you have made a good start.
    SG, that’s a good set of results following your test … your recent efforts have definitely been worthwhile.
    GoForGoal, good news that you are starting from a better place than you feared. Sounds like you are getting a handle on what’s needed, but we’re here if you have questions.

Someone on one of the weekly threads, mentioned frozen bangbang cauliflower from Lidl. Found some when I was there this morning and tried it this evening … delish! An okay BSD day yesterday (little up on cals, but carbs well in control) and I think today has gone alright too, just need to stay focused all week and only allow deviation on Friday.

One day at a time folks, one day a time!

• posted by florob85
    on

Evening all, Bagpuss here (*waves* to WindyJulz 😂)

ScottM sounds like you’re doing great, Goforgoal well done on getting started!! Deb and Mok welcome or welcome back!

Thanks for all the encouragement RubyG, SunnyB, sunshinegirl, wendleg and WindyJulz (and anyone else I’ve forgotten) regarding my current weight loss rate, I’m quite happy with it if a little impatient but it’s obviously working for me so I’ll carry on! Also reassuring to know I’m not the only one who finds exercise tedious or unpleasant 😂 – I have a really stressful job and my boss is one of those very weird uber sporty people (she competes in triathlons) and if I ever mention I feel stressed she immediately says “have you tried going for a walk” – I might throttle her next time she suggests it!! I do listen to music while I’m walking and often forget I’m out in public and start singing along so people probably think I’m nuts!!

Thanks also for the tips about the clothes, I defo think I’ll be embracing the “capsule” wardrobe for a while!
    RubyG oh I feel you with the sleep!! I’m a chronic insomniac and nothing seems to work, but my partner would sleep through a tornado. I’ve actually just left him snoozing in bed like a contented bear and come in the spare room for a bit as sleep is evading me!

Sunshinegirl those results are great, you should be pleased. Sorry your hubby is feeling a bit worried but like you say maybe it will give him a nudge in the right direction. My dad had slightly raised BG at a routine check up a few weeks ago so he’s been trying to be more sensible – apparently it could be linked to the fact he had COVID just before Xmas, it’s been linked with causing diabetes in some patients, or it could be that he ate almost an entire Christmas cake on his own (not in one go!!) as mum had made one then of course we all weren’t able to get together. Who knows 😂

So my positives and negatives for the day. I did not manage to go for a walk, however I did manage to sort out three quite distressed students via Zoom so that was a positive, I also wrote and narrated a lecture on medical ethics which I enjoyed doing and prepared stuff to write a lecture on epidural anaesthesia tomorrow so all positive steps. I bought a bottle of diet bitter lemon last week (I know I know artificial sweeteners, but it was a treat!) and had a glass today – was immediately transported back to being 5 years old in my nans kitchen, she would never let us have fizzy drinks but occasionally we were allowed a tiny glass of bitter lemon (think like a mouses glass) and the memories that taste evokes! My Nan is long gone now but I still miss her dreadfully so it was a nice little memory today.

In other news we had beef casserole tonight and I’ve been trying to experiment with dumpling replacements – I don’t always have them but tonight I just fancied some stodge and mashed cauliflower wasn’t going to do it! Sooooooo I made a tiny one with a tiny bit of suet, tiny bit of almond flour and some milled chia seeds to stick it all together with water. It was……………different. Ok taste wise, probably more use as a shotput though texture wise. Craig (OH) gamely tried a bit bless him. His feedback was it’s very um………dense. So back to the drawing board with that one I think!

Lauren x

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hi all good to see you. I didn’t join in last week, as we are nearing the end of our fertility treatment and I was feeling a bit mad with all the hormones in my system. I haven’t really been on plan, but haven’t gained any weight.
    Obviously things may change if I become pregnant, but then my focus will be on ensuring I eat the right things and don’t fall back into bad habits. Crisps and chocolate have been sneaking in. So trying to track and make sure I’m eating three protein based meals a day
    X

• posted by florob85
    on

Keeping everything crossed for you Russian Roulade xx

• posted by EC
    on

hello all-sorry I’ve been so absent, but as some of you you know, I’ve been having some issues with my hip-….I finally had a cortisone shot under ultrasound the other week and also an x-ray

The X-ray showed a lesion which needed further investigation and sent us into a real panic as the oncologist who looked at it thought it may have been due to a secondary cancer (meaning an advanced primary!!)…..so PET and CT scan later, fortunately, nothing has showed up in any organs and all blood tests normal so far, so it seems that there may be something like a localised cancer in the hip

I’m having a biopsy (ouch!) on Friday, so will know more sometime next week. According to the oncologist, the most likely is that it’s a localised plasma sarcoma that will just need some radiation therapy (so not ideal, but not devastating)

I’m feeling totally fine (apart from a still-sore hip!)-and instead of white panic am down to a mild gnawing anxiety (and a little distracted until I 100% know what’s going on

Those of you in Aus will also know that (as in the UK) women are up in arms about institutionalised misogyny and sexual violence. We went to one of many rallies around the country and heard some brilliant speakers including our Australian of the Year, who’s a young Tasmanian woman….now this may sound unrelated to this forum…except that I realised from the photos my partner took, that I need to get back into it!!
    Apologies if I’m a little slow responding to everyone….but I AM here! xxx

• posted by Smead01
    on

SunnyB you are so lovely and supportive. After some smooth sailing I was in the worst mood on day four. Really short tempered and generally unpleasent….I do hope this passes.

• posted by Smead01
    on

Great to see you back goforgoal you can do it!

• posted by Smead01
    on

Cool thanks for the advise wendleg and julz

• posted by RubyG
    on

Wow, I have admiration for everyone on here. We all have our own issues and other health problems, but have a common goal to do the best we can for our bodies and minds.

I have a question about resistant starch, specifically cold new potatoes:
    Jersey Royals have started to come into season, a highlight in our pre-BSD world, and it seems a shame to totally abstain. To be clear, no form of potato has passed our lips since Boxing Day, so I am taking this very seriously. I bought a few, and cooked them last night, slathered them in wild garlic butter, and they are now in the fridge for a side salad tonight.
    From what I have read so far, these carb-bombs should now be less of a problem once cooked and cooled. Does anyone have any comments on this?
    Looking at the macros on MFP, a serving size of 150g has 24g carbs, which is a lot, but the rest of our day is very low carb and we will still come in well under 50g carb for the day.
    I suppose I’m justifying to myself that they won’t be a massive problem eaten in this way, and very occasionally.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi RubyG

On your cold cooked new potatoes, my answer would be IT DEPENDS. So lets list the things it depend on,

Are you one of the people who needs to get blood sugar under control for health reasons?
    Are you one of the people who gets stressed if they don’t see progress on the scales
    Are you one of the people who only has a little to discard and planned to stick to this WoE for just a few weeks, or do you have a lot to discard and are trying to develop this WoE for long term?
    Are you one of the people who doesn’t have their carb monsters under control, so one step off the path will lead to another etc until it takes a lot of willpower to get back on the bus.

—————–

Heres the final one I can think of off the top of my head, are you one of the people who sticks on 50g of carb as a top of head figure for a target or do you know from either blood or breath (not ever pee sticks don’t waste your money on them) testing what your personal figures are for carb levels and impact on insulin levels?

I found that getting one of the cheap breathalysers was a great tool for me, it was a wake up call on how low my carb levels have to be to be and how long it takes me to return to being in fat burning mode after a step of the bus. Then it made it easier for me to make a decision.

In case you are wondering, after a number of years on this way of eating and over 40kg discarded I still have to stick to under 26g of carbs a day or my body is kicked out of ketosis and it takes me a couple of days to get back in.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you so much JGwen, I was hoping you’d have some pearls of wisdom 🙂
    Are you one of the people who needs to get blood sugar under control for health reasons? Not me no, but hubby was just into the pre-diabetic HbA1c zone Oct 2020 (>50lb ago for him)
    Are you one of the people who gets stressed if they don’t see progress on the scales? A little bit, I have warned hubby that a few cold potatoes could slow or stall his weekly losses
    Are you one of the people who only has a little to discard and planned to stick to this WoE for just a few weeks, or do you have a lot to discard and are trying to develop this WoE for long term? Long-term is the plan – we would both like to lose a bit more and maintain a decent weight in the future
    Are you one of the people who doesn’t have their carb monsters under control, so one step off the path will lead to another etc until it takes a lot of willpower to get back on the bus? I think if we know it’s a one-off for a meal, we have the willpower to start the following day afresh.
    Are you one of the people who sticks on 50g of carb as a top of head figure for a target or do you know from either blood or breath? Completely random number selected – I started out aiming for under 100g carbs as per some of the advice online, but have found 50g is easily achievable eating 3 meals a day, and we have seen regular losses each week. I have no idea if we’re in ketosis or not. Maybe I need to get a breathalyser.

I’m reading the above to say “150g cold new potatoes eaten in a single meal will not kill us, and should not have a lasting effect on blood sugars, but will in all likelihood slow down the weight loss and potentially lead us astray!” To be eaten with caution?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi RubyG,
    I don’t think there is a right or wrong answer, its down to your individual circumstances. –

I don’t think its the end of the world to go down a green grocer once a month and select one serving of one item that is normally off limits, but care has to be taken as its a slippery slope, once a month becomes once a week, and a single item becomes 2 items…. etc etc.

I would strongly recommend getting an AT6000 (if you search in the Take a Look at This thread you will find more info) – It gets much easier to make decisions on the impact if you spend a little time learning what level of carbs you can have a day and stay in ketosis. and what happens if you have more carbs, how long does it take for the insulin spike to fade.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you again JGwen – I know the slippery slope of once a month becomes once a week becomes……it has started to happen with hubby’s 1 square of dark chocolate (95%) after dinner on a weekend – I have to be the bad cop to stop it becoming every day.
    We’ll have the Jersey Royals tonight, and I bought enough for 2 meals so we’ll have the second lot next week sometime. Luckily the season is limited, and there is no desire to start eating other potatoes again.
    To be honest, I was so looking forward to my Christmas Day goose-fat roasted potatoes, and they were a real let-down. Tonight’s meal may be similar?
    I will definitely look into the breathalyser option.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Our palates change so much, Ruby, you might well find those Jersey Royals not all you anticipate. Like you, I indulged in a roast spud at Christmas and was left wondering why I bothered. Potatoes, rice, pasta etc. no longer appeal I’m pleased to say … it does make life easier.

Anyway, mindfully eating ‘off plan’ is not a courtmarshall offence and it seems to me you are taking a reasoned decision to do so. Enjoy your little indulgence and get straight back on track again tomorrow, guilt free.

on

Hi again Sunny, I seem to be following you. I too had a roast potato a couple of weeks ago (was it my birthday) and it was dry and tasteless and needed lots of salt. Back to the twice cooked potato – or eaten cold – apparently this method can be used with rice and pasta. However, you have to be very careful with the rice about cooling it quickly so bugs dont grow and then re-heating it quickly and piping hot so bugs dont grow. Too much both really for something that tastes of nothing.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

I agree SG, why bother when there are so many tastier things to put on the plate.

• posted by RubyG
    on

I’ll report back on the Jersey Royals 🙂
    I’m not missing rice, to be honest, but pasta – different story, I probably could have lived on pasta in a pre-BSD life, but haven’t eaten either since mid-October, so avoidance is working for now.
    I do find eggs are my safe go-to in many ways on this WOE, so knowing I had to work through lunch I made 3 mini-frittatas this morning (1 egg each) with spinach and ricotta, and we had them with salad and a balsamic vinaigrette.

• posted by ScottM
    on

Got the dreaded blood results back. My Hb1AC is down to 52 so still diabetic range but a huge improvement. My GP is delighted and has reduced my metformin to 1 a day. He wants me to keep going with the lifestyle changes and will follow up with another test in 4 months so fingers crossed!

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Excellent news Scott, you must be chuffed. You can see it’s worth persisting and great to have your doc’s support.
    Good planning on the lunch front, Ruby.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Russianroulade I’m with you all the way, hoping everything works out for you , massive hugs coming your way .

Oh crikey EC/ Erin , that was a bit scary . You must have been really suffering,bless you . Thinking of you . It sounds like you have a competent, reassuring team there and you are getting all the tests. Massive hugs coming your way too. Go steady there xx

Don’t worry Smead your grumpy moods will pass. You are not a nasty person;-) How are you feeling ?

Oooh RubyG , I’m with your hubby . I’d much rather have a square or two of 95 % than a spud any day . I can’t remember the last time I had potatoes,bread ,pasta etc . There are lots of tasty substitutes but you have to find out what really appeals to you . I do believe that as others have said, that tastes do change radically as you continue with low carb eating. Many thanks for your advice , Jgwen ! You are a legend .

Great news Scott, keep doing what you are doing and you will amaze your doctor next visit too !

I am pursuing my OMAD experiment and have realised that I am quite capable of eating when I AM NOT REALLY HUNGRY !!!! For several days now I have skipped lunch ( I don’ t eat breakfast) and have experienced the sensation of hunger again . It’s something I always used to say but I didn’t always follow my own advice and I understand now why I start picking at nuts, cheese etc in the afternoon after what should have been a satisfying lunch . I didn’t fully recognise the hunger sensation and therefore was not always satiated . Julz, you once mentioned feeling a ‘need’ for something, not knowing exactly what ? I think I was doing that . Now that I wait until early evening to eat I don’t feel a need to stock up on extra bits . OMAD is something that worked really well for me when I was working but my routine has changed now I am retired . It’s quite interesting revisiting those early days . I’m learning all the time folks, even after 2 years plus !!

I still have 2 squares of choc by the way !

Hubby has been fine after his AZ vaccine on Monday . My shoulder has felt a bit better today .

Looking forward to hearing from you all . There is a lovely supportive feel to the thread .

How are you doing Britta ? Bryla ? LonelyAdipose , please come back .

Some of you have gone a bit quiet ? We are here to support you, whatever you ar going through .

Keep going everyone xx

• posted by Britta
    on

I’m still here Wendleg, thanks for checking up on me! Lots of activity on the thread! On the carb question I’m not as obsessive about staying below a certain number of carbs as I was last time and seem to be losing weight all the same for now. I do stay away from breads, pasta, rice and potatoes though, but more because I feel better without them (less bloated and with less cravings), than because of their effect on weight loss. I also find it much harder to negotiate how much and how often, than just staying away from them.
    I’m settling into my straight and narrow 800 calories divided into 3 meals again and feeling pretty good. I noticed you mentioned the famous 3rd/4th day struggles Smead, and they have definitely been an issue here too. It helps when you have done it before and knows what stable blood sugar feels like at the end of the first challenging bit, just hang in there and you’ll soon see. I remember being almost euphoric when I first started experiencing that calm feeling of no carb cravings. It’s amazing, I promise!

• posted by florob85
    on

Deb0Flo I meant to reply to your question about what to do at the weekends – I find weekends tough too, I think because I’m working all during the week it’s easier to forget about food but like you I end up spending most of my weekend thinking about food!! This does get easier but my suggestion in the interim is spend the time planning a really delicious meal that you can really look forward to – for example this weekend instead of roast dinner (which I’m not that keen on anyway but my partner likes so I cook most weeks just without the carbs for me) we’re having New York style ribs, cauliflower cheese and broccoli which I’ve managed to jiggle around to be 14g carbs (I only eat 2 meals a day so I’ll just have a very low carb lunch to still be under 20g) and about 400cal. I’ll really look forward to it and it’s a nice change, I also keep myself busy – have been doing lots of DIY the last few weekends and I have an up cycling project to do this weekend, but you can do whatever you like – reading, listening to podcasts or music and dancing along, I do a lot of craft so I do some of that sometimes. I drag myself out in the garden sometimes although gardening is not my favourite thing! Window shop online and bookmark clothes you will buy when you have lost weight, or give yourself a pampering session – face mask etc. Orrrrrrr look for nice recipes online! It does get easier though!

Lauren x

• posted by Smead01
    on

Britta you are right, day 5 and 6 so much better I can’t believe the difference.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Smead, I think I struggled with motivation and mood around day 3 when we started, but quickly got through that, glad you’re feeling better.
    My report-back on the Jersey Royals – they were nice, but supper wouldn’t have been lacking if we didn’t have them. I think hubby really enjoyed them, I wasn’t fussed either way. Tomorrow’s weigh-in will highlight if they were a bad idea or not, but we will have a few more next week sometime.
    And to wendleg, I can totally identify with the ability to eat when not hungry. I find if I don’t eat breakfast I can easily have 2 meals, or depending on how I’m feeling I can stretch that to one evening meal only. A lot of our meal times are rituals in a way – we eat meals together as a social activity, even if it’s just breakfast or lunch for the 2 of us. Hubby will not, under any circumstances, “skip a meal” – even on a weekend if we have a late breakfast or late lunch, 3 meals a day is his expectation! It does my head in sometimes 🙂
    Re. the weekends, I have also tried to look forward to a really nice supper, within the cals limit, often it’s steak and salad on a Saturday night, but I also find it easier if we’re busy doing stuff (garden, projects, whatever keeps our hands busy) to not be thinking about food all day.
    Have a good day everyone!

on

Hi everyone, still here and trying to get to 1.5lb less but not going to make it by tomorrow unless I have a whoosh moment. RubyG, I am so with you re: husband. Mine now has a few blood works issues, i.e. looks like he is in pre-diabetic numbers at 1.26 also cholesterol up and creatinne higher than it should be. He will fret until he sees the doctor but he does this every year when he has his MOT(?). He will be super good but I notice the excess meals creeping in. On Sunday I cook a brunch of a traditional English breakfast (grilled not fried) and it was only when I got up early a couple of weeks ago that I found him having a bowl of porridge and a slice of toast with marmalade. When I said we are eating in half an hour he said he always has it. Also to me porridge AND toast is 2 breakfasts. Then for lunch it is soup and half a sandwich, soon to become soup and a sandwich. He always has a yoghurt then it becomes a yoghurt and a piece of fruit and the other day (before blood results) it was yoghurt, satsuma and a banana as well as his soup and a sandwich. He seems to pile one thing on top of another and doesnt see the bad results coming. I am not worried about him as if he is pre-diabetic we know what to do.
    Funny story of the day. Every day I message my daughter on WhatsApp with my morning weigh in. Today I put on 76.6, dont say anything, just the weight. She came back saying I had put my weight on the family group app. So that is Emma and Stu, Stu’s aunt and uncle, Stus mom and dad, brother and his wife, sister and her husband who all know how much I weigh. I went back on and said ‘ignore it I actually weigh 50kg’. Dont think they will believe me. Hope it gave them a laugh. I am such an idiot.
    Doctors tomorrow so fingers crossed.

• posted by DebOFlo
    on

Thanks Florob85 and RubyG – I think planning some really nice meals is the answer, before my hubby get s in with teh suggestion of a takeaway! Steak and salad is one of my fave meals and I can add some chips for hubby to keep him happy 🙂 New York ribns sound good too, will have to take some time to plan, I think that’s the key. I have loads of work to do in teh garden and at my allotment but weather been a bit rubbish lately – looking forward to some sunnier days 🙂
    I just had the most delicious lunch of prawn and feta cheese salad. I sat and ate it really slowly and appreciated every mouthful!
    I think for me its making tasty food that I will enjoy and keeping busy as you say 🙂
    Thanks for all the support guys x

• posted by RubyG
    on

Your lunch sounds lovely DebOFlo, and I agree that focusing on and enjoying our food is key to making this work. Some days I need to remind myself of that, and stop the mindless and boredom snacking.
    S-G good luck at the Dr tomorrow, and you made me laugh describing your husband – I have one just like him! It was actually hubby’s pre-diabetes diagnosis that brought us to this site and this WOE and it’s one of the best things we’ve ever done. I am becoming more aware though, that keeping us on the path seems to be my job for life now.
    I also had a chuckle about the WhatApp mix-up 🙂

Keep on keeping on everyone!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

What a lovely thread 😍….so many results and learning points.
    Lauren…dumplings ‘bit dense’.. made me giggle, brilliant that you are experimenting with new things.
    SG…love the whatsapp 😂
    Erin- you poor thing, how scary, hope they get you sorted soon.
    I’m ok, still working on the 5:2 method, and learning not to calorie count on my other days (without totally losing the healthy med style diet). A few minor stresses this week, and busy too, but doing my best to get in my daily exercise- and I am one of those ‘weird people’ who love exercise 🤣
    oh, and RubyG- I’ve never found petite trousers ankle skimming- at 5 ft 0…..I’m on the shorter side of short 🤣

Love to all xxxxx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

and thank you as always Wendy, SG and SunnyB x

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Just checking in. Going well. I’ve given up walking and going to the gym for a little while but will return to both later. Putting my focus on counting calories every day and also TRE. My husband has decided to join me again as his shirts were getting a bit tight. We grow a lot of our own veges and at the moment have an abundance of iceberg lettuce. I made wraps using lettuce leaves instead of bread. My husband, who goes through half a loaf every day,, said it was better than bread. I couldn’t believe it. I have converted him.

Like you, Wendleg, I love nuts and cheese and have also been eating a few almonds and pecorino. I must stop!! I found buying nuts I have to shell helps me

I,too, have a big bust Florob85. 18F. A big motivation for losing weight. It’s so hard to buy clothes that suit me. Of course I won’t know where I’ll lose the inches. Hopefully all over.I’m currently 88k and 165cm.

I’ve really enjoyed reading this week’s posts. Keep up the good work everyone. I’m in Australia so as it starts to get cooler I can start making soups again.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Quick check-in before the weekend.
    We both had a decent weigh-in today, with a week-on-week loss since last Friday.
    Meals have sort-of been planned for the weekend, so we will be on track for low carb but >800 cals, which is a sort-of reverse 5:2 which we’re following.
    I have my first jab on Monday, and hubby wants to make a ragu-something over the weekend, so he can cook Sunday for Monday’s supper, just in case I feel a bit poorly.
    The wood for my raised beds was delivered today, so some manual work awaits us this weekend to put those together.
    Nuts and cheese – I struggle to exercise restraint on both, worse with the nuts though, and I have also found that pistachios are better for me as I have to work for them and can therefore eat fewer.
    Have a good weekend everyone!

• posted by wendleg
    on

I know this is not the recipe thread but I wonder if this keto beef stew and cheesy biscuit crust could be a substiture for dumplings ???

It’s from Mellisa Sevigny’s website I breathe I’m hungry…. There is a video demonstrating the recipe too

Keto Beef Stew & Cheesy Biscuit Crust
    ★★★★★
    4.8 from 20 reviews
    Author: Mellissa Sevigny Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 110 minutes Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes Yield: 8 servings 1x Category: Keto stews Method: Braising Cuisine: British
    Description
    This rich and hearty keto beef stew & cheesy biscuit crust is going to satisfy all of your keto comfort food cravings! Low carb and Atkins friendly.
    INGREDIENTS
    SCALE
    1x
    2x
    3x
    FOR THE BEEF STEW:
    3 tablespoons avocado oil, or other light tasting oil
    2 lbs stew beef, cut into 1 inch pieces
    2 tablespoons coconut flour
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, chopped
    1 cup roughly chopped celery
    2 cups radishes, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    2 tablespoons whiskey
    2 1/2 cups water
    1 teaspoon dijon mustard
    1 tablespoon dried parsley
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
    1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum (to thicken)
    FOR THE BISCUIT CRUST:
    6 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon granulated erythritol sweetener
    1 cup superfine blanched almond flour
    3 tablespoons coconut flour
    3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
    1 egg
    1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
    1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
    INSTRUCTIONS
    TO MAKE THE BEEF STEW:
    Combine the coconut flour, salt and pepper in a medium sized bowl.
    Add the raw beef pieces and mix well to coat the meat thoroughly.
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy bottomed sauce pan.
    Add the beef and cook over medium high heat to brown, stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes. Remove the meat from the pan.
    Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan, then add the garlic, onion, celery and radishes.
    Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, or until softened and fragrant.
    Add the Worcestershire sauce and whisky to the pan and cook an additional 2 minutes.
    Add the cooked beef back to the pan, along with the water, dijon mustard, parsley, and thyme – then stir well. Cover and simmer for 1 hour over low heat.
    Remove the cover and whisk in the xanthan gum.
    Turn the heat up to medium, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes to reduce.
    TO MAKE THE CHEESY BISCUIT DOUGH:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Place the butter in a medium-sized microwave safe bowl.
    Microwave on high, uncovered, for 30 seconds or until melted.
    Add the sweetener, almond flour, coconut flour, salt, garlic powder, baking powder, xanthan gum, egg, fresh thyme, almond milk and cheddar and mix well with a fork.
    TO ASSEMBLE:
    Transfer the beef stew to an oven safe casserole or cast iron pan.
    Top with 8 scoops or balls of biscuit dough.
    Bake at 375 for 25 minutes – or until the tops are golden brown and have puffed up slightly.
    Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
    NOTES
    TOTAL NET CARBS PER SERVING = 5G.

on

Hi everyone, successful visit to my doctor with all my results at A star. I managed to have exactly the same weight as last time which isnt bad considering I have had Christmas and my birthday weight gains to get rid of. I wanted to lose 2.5lbs so I would be under my last weight but only managed 2lbs since Monday which is why I weighed the same. He said he didnt know many people who have actually lost weight during lockdown but I am one of them (gone from 78 to 76 in the last 12 months). I know I can be a bit hard on myself but I am my own task master and not to be argued with :).

Talking about being the same weight as December check up has had me thinking. Also I accidently happened on a YouTube by Dr Jason Fung about diabetes and TRE. When I started this diet I would never have believed that a diabetic could survive on 800 calories and not do some damage or end up in a coma. However, after 5 years I have pretty much stuck with it, especially the low carbs. He was talking about how we are told diabetes is a chronic illness and the meds just cover the symptoms but dont do anything to improve or cure the condition. This leads to more and more meds and eventually they are not doing anything much except giving us other problems and the diabetes is going to win in the end. After being on this diet I believe I have stopped the diabetes in its tracks, reduced my medications and avoided lots of the medical problems I might now be facing without this diet. Eye problems, kidney problems, heart problems and so on. According to my doctor I am in a health state of someone who doesnt have diabetes.
    If this is not of interest please feel free to skip.

So far I have done great but I have never reversed my diabetes and I have never reached my ‘goal’ weight of 65kg. 5 years is a long time to be on a diet but for me it is how I have to live my life and I am happy with that. Anyway, after watching Dr Fung I realised there might be more I could be doing rather than drifting into a snack here or there, 900 or a 1000 calories occasionally, not losing but not gaining weight and not seeing any further improvements in the diabetes.

So my friends I might need your help as I want to try TRE. There is no way I could embark on a full fast right now – maybe one day – but I can reduce the number of hours I am eating and that should also reduce the number of calories so I am not slipping into 900/1000 at times. I had to TRE for my blood test on Tuesday and realised I was actually okay as long as I hadnt cut my calories below 800 by not eating. I also realised I dont need an afternoon snack – it has just become a habit when I sit down to watch TV. The racing has been on in the afternoon so I didnt sit in front of the TV with some chicken or nuts or cheese or anything. And I didnt miss it nor was I hungry. I think I have actually forgotten what it feels like to be hungry as I always have my BSD friendly snacks but they are still snacks.

Anyway, I have gone on for long enough. I am going to do some more research over the weekend – Jason Fung being my No.1 source – and come up with a plan to start next week. My goal is to further improve my diabetes numbers to a point where I might be able to cut the insulin right down – it has started creeping up as with the chronic theory – and maybe get to my original weight goal that I have never reached.

Have a good weekend and all comments are welcome.

Please log in or register to post a reply.