One week at a time beginning 15th June APRIL 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Trying again !!

I was saying it is mid June and HOT,HOT, HOT !!! Peeling off the layers, getting out a bit more, it’s all good ( more or less, let’s see what Boris comes up with !!)

Summer is a busy time, more opportunities for ‘treats’ and excesses and a few indulgences . As long as we don’t totally lose the plot, there shouldn’t be too much damage done ! Let’s stay as focused as we can .

So come and join us as we support SG in her quest to discard that pesky kilo before her doctor’s apppointment, supporting each other in our victories, struggles, moans whatever !!

Not forgetting our lovely Australian members who contribute so kindly

Looking forward to seeing you checking in when you can

Wendy, SunnyB and sunshinegirl . Thank you lovey ladies for keeping the thread going when I am unable to log on. Thank goodness you are both there xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Updated list and welcome to any new members, thinking of anyone who has been ‘absent’

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer
    Sheila Canning
    JustKeepFasting
    Bryla
    kiltgirl
    Deb2003
    Donnadoobie
    HappiR
    WilLuck
    PaulaZ
    Faithlyn67
    Onetowatch
    nicnocgee
    Smead01 ( Samantha)
    Goforgoal
    Britta
    Mokovex
    DebOflo
    Riverrock
    HopefulinOz/Donna
    Quetzal
    Onnipinoy
    Magicbean
    Pashasmum
    avisamuelgrey
    scotsgirl57
    Annamarieboo
    peanutbutty
    erinmc82
    Kat2020
    xx1flump1xx
    Ncij678
    LizzieTOFI
    Jeremy Fisher
    Green and White
    Garmmcns
    Chrissybabe63

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Great kick off post, Wendy, to lead us into a new week. Like a lot of people, I am enjoying the proper summer weather we’re currently having is SE UK, but as you say, with that comes additional temptations… a chilled glass of wine, scoop of ice cream and the like. I admit my weekend was rather too indulgent and now I’m looking at a few lean days to compensate.
    So, if you have had similar issues, or are a ‘lurking’ new starter or a returner, please just jump onboard and share your story with us …. no judgement here! Will look forward to hearing from plenty of the folks name checked by Wendy too …. please come and tell us how are you getting on?
    Let’s keep the weekly thread a busy, vibrant and supportive place to be on the forum.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Count me in, Wendy and SunnyB. A kilo might be a goal that I can manage…maybe. I’m not weighing at the moment, but rather using clothes. I was just reading about you having to go down 2 sizes in clothes, s-g. That’s fantastic! I think it shows that you have put muscle on, and that may be why your body is being sticky at the 75kg mark. But it will pay off in extra calories burned in the long run.
    I had to go clothes shopping as I just didn’t have enough cooler outdoor working clothes to get me through the really hot spells that we are expecting. The water weight I was carrying around a couple weeks ago has gone, and I think I’m looking a little slimmer again. I bought 3 pairs of lighter weight jeans in different brands at a charity shop so that I don’t need to feel bad if I do end up slimming down even more. They are a UK size 20, which is what has been fitting me lately, but they fit very comfortably, and one pair is just verging on too big already.
    It isn’t overly warm here at the moment, but we’ve had some rain finally and it is very, very muggy. The mosquitoes have come out in hordes too, so it is not very pleasant to be outside in the evenings. I’m remaining very active though. I did more than 10 hours of weeding over the weekend, and finished planting all my tomatoes, peppers and melons. I have a few flowers out now, so I have been practising my bouquet making skills. Once more things start to bloom, I may be able to make up a number of bouquets to take to sell at the farmers’ market. This really is just a trial year for me though. I am gaining experience and hope to be in a good position to sell flowers next year when all those postponed weddings happen and flowers are likely to be in high demand. I really will need to be fit and ready for next year. I can definitely feel the extra weight slowing me down on the long days, so that is my motivation now.

• posted by RubyG
    on

RubyG and hubby reporting for duty this week, with a focused week of 800cals to get to the lower half of our stone mark by the end of the month.
    It looks like niece’s wedding (a festival theme) will go ahead next month (after multiple postponements last year), and I have bought 2 lovely pairs of linen trousers at the charity shop and 3 summer jackets/blazers which I can also wear to work, assuming I ever return to an office.
    I’m still managing to treat Brazil nuts as a nutritional supplement, and have 1 per day with half a glass of homemade milk kefir, which supports my “something fermented every day” aim.
    Whoever mentioned on here the kraut with fennel and lemon – it is awesome! I made a batch in May, and we ate our first meal from it on Sunday with some tinned tuna for lunch, and the flavour was amazing. I have just finished a jar of kimchi I found lurking in the fridge, from the fermenting course I attended in May 2019! I have a new jar on the go, started alongside the cabbage, fennel and lemon kraut, so we’re all good on the fermented foods front for a while.
    Plants and garden – everything is so far behind, but after this week’s forecast thunderstorms and maybe hail, I’ll get all the little pots planted out properly and hopefully get some harvest this year.
    Have a good week everyone!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Oh no, done it again. Before I posted I hit the subscribe button and it wiped my unposted post. Like Wendy I normally paste and copy first but I didnt. Start again.

Welcome to another week and thanks Wendy for setting it up. Come and join us no matter what your goals are.

Still struggling with that kilo but my goal for doctors was 75kg with a wish of 74 kgs so not going to beat myself up. Anyway, still 3 days to go and I will be fasting tonight before my blood tests tomorrow. No matter how many times I have them done I worry. My daily bloods have been running at between 3.8 and 4.5 so really good but still worry as HbA1c is always higher than that. Will report when I get my results tomorrow afternoon.

Wendy, clothes shopping was not my priority but we had to go get some frozen food and pool clearer (showing a bit of green). Kiabi just happens to be on the same row. Air con shops and air con car so not a problem. Our decorator told us not to buy ff in Picard as Thiriet is much cheaper. Wrong. Checked the reciepts when I got home, Picard is a lot cheaper.

Now lets see if I can post this without messing it up. Have a good week everyone and keep drinking the water.

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Hello everyone and thanks as always to Wendy for starting a new thread.
    As you know I was feeling rather proud of myself for the initial 11 pound loss. Well after trying hard initially on holiday and seeing some friends and over indulging the weight crept back up, then dropped off again, but not completely, so I’m up 3 pounds meaning a total loss of 8 pounds since the start. I refuse to be hard on myself, as I suspect it was unrealistic to stay so focussed on holiday and whilst seeing friends. Plus we did so much walking last week, that I felt great having done so much exercise.
    But am back at work now and committed to the 800 cal routine. I’m inspired seeing so many people setting goals for themselves, so I’m joining in and aiming to stick to the goal of shifting a stone by my friend’s 40th on 17th July. I’ve got 5 weeks and am determined to stay focused. Am going to take advantage of the weather and long evenings and take myself for a walk each night and then I’m going to try and brave some online HITT classes starting tomorrow.
    I continue to be inspired by you all, so well done and thank you xx

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Hi, I am new to this. I got diagnosed last Monday, but had suspicions when Dr phoned 2 weeks in a row to come and get my blood tested. So I had bought the 8 week blood sugar diet book and had just finished reading it when my Dr called to tell me the news. Had a couple of days half doing the diet, then went and did a proper shop and will have been on track for a week tomorrow.

on

welcome Elle-Mae. Hope you cant gain lots from this site and this thread. We are a friendly group and there is lots of knowledge between us. Shout out if you need help.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Just dropping in to welcome ElleMae, sorry about your diagnosis, but I’m confident you are taking the best possible action and we’ll look forward to you becoming part of our merry band.
    As Sunshine-Girl said, any questions just shout out and someone will respond. Sunshine is our ‘resident T2 expert’, so she is well placed to advise/answer specific question in that area. The rest of us happily weighing on other issues and offer support and encouragement.
    Feel free to off load when things don’t go to plan and share you wins, no matter how small – even those non-scale related … we like to celebrate them all. So, remember to keep us posted on progress and we’ll happily share the journey with you.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Evening everyone. I hope this new week finds you all well, and for those of you lucky enough to be on the other side of the world, enjoying the warmth that this time of year is bringing (I am envious!) 🙂
    Thank you, Wendy, for starting up the new weekly thread. I hope the new week is treating you well.
    Arcticfox – those bouquets sound wonderful – no end to your skills 🙂
    RubyG – I also made the kraut with fennel and lemon when it was mentioned last time. We love it also!
    S-G – I have my fingers crossed for you for your next doctors appt/results. Go show them how amazing you are 🙂
    Ella-Mae – welcome. I have no doubt you will be thrilled with the results once you get into it – lets hope for a reversal asap.

All is well here. I am plodding along. Have increased my calories up from 800 to approx 950 each day, and that has been a great help to me in feeling a bit ‘fuller’ rather than hungry and also keeping me warmer. We live in a hills area, and in a very cold house without central heating, so come about 4:30pm each day it just gets freezing. I was retreating to my bed with the warmth of an electric blanket, or into a hot bath, but otherwise cold even in thermals. The increased food intake does seem to have made that a bit better.

I need to pick your brains all! I tried some konjac noodles this evening, and after learning a different way of cooking them, actually quite enjoyed them in a thai curry. I am curious as to whether anyone has a particular recipe/combination of ingredients they like to use konjac noodles or similar with? I was trying to think of a low carb/low calorie pasta sauce, but had difficulty coming up with one (I know tomatoes are quite high in carbs). I would love some ideas ……

I hope you all have a lovely day/evening 🙂
    Donna.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Thank you all for your kind welcome. I have lost 3lbs in my first week 😁. I have bought the 8 week blood sugar diet recipe book, delighted to see so many recipes I think I will enjoy, however a little question. My other half does not eat lamb, could I substitute beef, he also does not eat pork, so thought could I substitute chicken? I have planned this week’s meals, now to compile a shopping list.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Elle, well done on the 3lbs ditched so far. It’s fine to make substitutions to the recipes and even create your own dishes/menus, but be sure the calculate / adjust the calorie content (and carbs if you are specifically tracking these). A lot of people use apps like MyFitnessPal to track their calories etc., which makes it a bit easier to keep on top of what you’re consuming. Hope that helps.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi Elle and congrats on the first week’s loss!
    I found that for the 8 weeks we focused on low-cal lean protein in order to eat 3 decent meals a day in 800cals – so a lot of eggs, chicken breast, venison, white fish and shellfish (if you eat these), and we ate a lot of big flavours which didn’t have a lot of calories (chilli, garlic, ginger, preserved lemons, lots of spices).
    Blitzing chicken breast and adding herbs and spices can mean that 1 chicken breast will feed 2 adults if served as meatballs in a tomato-based sauce with courgette “spaghetti”, or as a burger patty with salad or celeriac chips.
    As SG says, keep on keeping on 🙂

on

What can I say, I am beyond upset today. First of all I fasted from 7.30 pm ready for my blood tests but while prepping breakfast for the next day I licked the spoon which was crushed fresh apricot with lime juice, olive oil and cinnamon. It was the sweetness that hit me and it just went ‘oh pooh’ I cant have my blood tests now. Had a terrible night and was up at 3 am. Just restless, hot and couldnt keep still. Went back to bed at 4 am and slept. Did blood test on myself this morning and it was only 55 (2.9). So maybe that taste wouldnt have scuppered my blood test but will fast again tonight. Yesterday I ate around 600 cals, mushrooms and poached egg, chicken, spinach and miso soup for lunch and the spicy aubergine and lamb mince dinner – only had half an aubergine so calories halved from recipe. Got up this morning and WHAT 76kgs. What the ……. Really really fed up. Forgot to say I also swam for 40 mins in the morning.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Sunshine-girl Don’t worry/best yourself up, weight is like that, it fluctuates, will probably be down tomorrow. Mine went up on Monday morning by 1/4lb but back down again now by 1 3/4 lbs today.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hi SG, so sorry to hear that your body has sabotaged you on the scales!
    I’m drooling at the thought of the apricot with lime, olive oil and cinnamon – I tend to eat my bodyweight in apricots when in Spain and France in the summer, but don’t bother much in the UK as they very often taste of nothing and are just a disappointment.
    KOKO!

on

RubyG, that is a good way to look at it. My body has sabotaged me – but just at the wrong time. The recipe for the apricots is in the original BSD book and in the morning they go under the grill until the cinnamon and oil catches and goes crunchy, served with half a tub of yoghurt but mind you dont burn yourself. Good to see your weight is moving again.

I do remember that at this time every month I have bloating and it occurs when it would have been TOTM even though I havent had a period for 20 years. Hopefully it will go down tomorrow. Anyone who knows me will know I aint quitting.

• posted by Quetzal
    on

Hello you brilliant forum users! I am so impressed with your determination and results, even when you do not get the desired results every week!
    I have been eating so well the last weeks, seem to loose about a kilo weekly. Lost 17 kgs so far, 25 to go. It Will take time and as I am so active, i needed more proteins and a little more carbs so I am between 1000-1200 kcal daily. I log what I eat every dag, every meal. It helped me to avoid eating a snack or little more. I strongly suggest doing that, your choice to eat extra is then ‘more informed’. Well, the trekking pants I bought two sizes too small is less tight, Will fit late summer, I think. Apart from insane hours of work and no time off and too little sleep, I feel good and happy. I really am on my way to healthier body and IT feels good om the way.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Yay, I checked my BMI and I am officially overweight! BMI of 29.9 🙂
    Hubby is still obese 😉 even though he has lost 5 stone so far on this WOE.
    He is struggling a bit with the enforced 800cals this week, but he has been grazing through a jar of peanut butter a week recently and although he is maintaining or slowly losing, I think a little bit of a push never did anyone any harm. We did both have a square of dark chocolate last night, all within the allowance of course, and we are hardly starving, just cutting out the mindless, bored, stressed consumption.

• posted by RubyG
    on

This may be of interest:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-9693583/Intermittent-fasting-doesnt-help-lose-weight-quicker-experts-claim.html
    Apparently, intermittent fasting and 5:2 are fad diets and don’t result in quicker weight loss – three study groups using people classified as lean with a BMI of 20-25 – I’m not sure of the value of the study to be honest.
    On the flipside, there was also a piece on the BBC News last night https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57419041 where some health professionals are calling for obesity to be classed as a disease, and the link to genetics and obesity was mentioned – this made me think of Gary Taubes comparison of the dairy cow and the limousin beef animal – they put on weight differently, both eating grass and standing around in a field all day.
    There was also a short segment about the availability of cheap, nasty takeaways in deprived areas.
    The news piece was quite depressing, though, as it almost said that if you’re genetically inclined to be obese, that’s just the way it is, and it almost led to the conclusion that the only way out of this is through bariatric surgery.
    In fact, the article mentions a 4-tier system for tackling obesity through the NHS, tiers which include slimming clubs and tier 4 being bariatric surgery.
    I know I am a recent convert to this WOE, and thus probably slightly evangelical, but I honestly believe this WOE has been life-changing, we have both lost weight, other health markers have improved (and those not yet re-measured will have improved) and it is a WOE that we can live with every day, in the words of the global pandemic, this is our new normal.

on

Hi everyone, I am patiently waiting for my blood test results. Well not very patiently as I have my email site up and watching and waiting for it to ding. Usually have results same morning but this time it was a full annual MOT plus urine so maybe it takes a bit longer. The girl was very good, straight in with the needle and soon filled 4 vials. Usually they jab me to pieces as I have collapsable veins. I havent had a swim today but that is a good thing as you are supposed to give your body a rest now and then to allow it to repair itself. Today it is raining and oh boy is that welcome after the searing heat we have been having.

RubyG, funny but I also read an article today from Fast 800 site but quoting from a medical journal saying that IF has been long known for weight loss and increasing lifespan. Goes back to stoneage when it was feast or famine and we are devised to go through times of famine to recover from the feasting. Also the Banting diet, which was for diabetics in the 1900’s was a very low calorie and fasting diet and worked then as it does now. MM’s diet is really a variation on that. I am not sure if TRE speeded up weight loss but it certainly gave my weight loss a jolt although your body gets used to what ever you do and in my case it isnt quite so efficient now (TRE not my body – that is very efficient). I think we have to do what we feel is right for us without doing any harm. And it is certainly working for most people on this site. It is rare to see someone come on and say they are not losing although a few days down the line they usually come back and say they have got it wrong and have been eating this or that – either that or they just disappear, probably not worked for them. KOKO.

Had hoped that while I was typing my results would come through but not just yet so I will come back on later with my results. Oh and BTW I lost half a kilo from yesterday so still hopeful to be 75 tomorrow, even if it is 75 something.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Good luck with the blood results!

I tried on that pair of linen trousers I bought off e-bay without reading the description properly (they were sold as a size 34, the seller then went on to say she wasn’t sure of the sizing but wore them when she was a size 10-12). I don’t think I’ve ever been a size 10, but today the trousers went on, the button and zip both closed, but if I move i will pop a seam. Maybe another half stone and they will fit me, but I had given up on them ever fitting, so who knows?

on

Hi there, back again and dancing around the house like a nutcase. Blood results in – sound of trumpets…..

HbA1C 5.8 down from 6.1
    Cholesterol 3.9 down from 4.1
    Triglycerides 1.17 down from 1.46

Everything else normal.
    RubyG now I remember why I am doing TRE – it wasnt for weight loss but to get my BG down to normal levels and that is where they are today although I do use insulin and that is also down from 28 units daily to 17. Yeah!!!!!

Now just need to be 75kgs 🙂 🙂 🙂

on

Well done with those trousers RubyG. Breath in and dont eat.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Your results are inspirational SG, well done!

• posted by RubyG
    on

Hope your doctor’s appointment went well today SG.

Hubby and I have shown good results on the scales after a 5-day 800cal low-carb blitz, so it’s good to know we can do a focused week every few months if we feel the need to accelerate the loss a bit, or pull back a small gain.

Have a good weekend everyone, whatever your plans and whatever the weather!

on

Hello, here again. Had a very good meeting with doctor. As you know my results are amazing. I told him I was only using 17 units of insulin as it is better to keep him in the loop even though I do my own thing. Also didnt need any on my current prescription as I am starting to stockpile boxes of the stuff. Then he weighed me – 75kgs. I told him I was losing 1kg every time I saw him so he looked back on my records and told me I have actually lost 4.5 kgs in one year. That is why I am back to my early days weight loss from 5 years ago. Looks like I will have to be 74kgs next time. For those newbies who are not impressed with 4.5 in one year, mine is more of a maintenance plan having lost weight and wanting to keep it off PLUS I am still doing this for my diabetes numbers.

RubyG it is good to know that the diet continues to work even when you have been on it long term. I know if I am not strict but dont gain (much) I can very quickly knock it back down to have a good weight loss. I am always low carb but not always low cal.

Have a great weekend.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Glad the Dr visit went well!
    I have accepted that low carb is our new way of life, as even if we up the cals we still more-or-less maintain, but I know if we up the carbs that won’t be the case. I’ll be interested to see our blood test results later this year.
    It was nice to see that a few days can shed a few lbs again.
    Looking back since we started in Oct 2020 (not that long ago, but long enough), I probably dropped a stone and a bit in the first 8 weeks, and accepting the small gain over Christmas I have only lost about 1 stone since mid-December, through maintaining mostly and every few weeks knuckling down to nudge the losses again. I am comfortable with this pace, as I don’t feel like I’m punishing myself, I am noticing the flabby bits at this weight now instead of feeling great having lost so quickly, and I am for the first time in a very long time “overweight” on the BMI scale.
    Have a good weekend all!

on

Hi everyone, going to take a bit of a rest from being strict and setting goals. I will still be here and reading all the posts but not really being active. I know I wont last more that the weekend without resorting to healthy habits, even did TRE for 17 hours today with no breakfast but I just do what my body is telling me is right. Lots of stress leading up to medical check ups even though I know I am probably going to be okay – and I am. Just want to relax and breathe.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Feeling quite pleased with myself. I have just spent the last hour making an Excel spreadsheet for meal planning. I have columns for the name of the recipe, the page in the book ( no more trawling the index repeatedly), calories, carbs and getting it to total the calories and carbs. I couldn’t find an App that I liked. I know you can use Fitness Pal but I have used it before and found it hard work.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Sunshine-girl,
    I just wanted to pop on to say that I hope you are okay – totally understand the need to step back and breathe for a while. I am wishing you all the very best with everything, and look forward to seeing you back here when you are ready xx

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

I second that! Take care Sunshine-girl. Your input and thoughts on this thread are always helpful and encouraging to others.
    🌻🌻🌻

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Another full on week which is becoming the norm but hopefully will calm down soon . Hubby has been busy working with a friend all week so it has meant preparing more substantial lunches for them, helping out collecting and leaving children at school plus my ongoing appointments so not much down time . Oh yes, I squeezed in a session of pilates and yoga .

We had a spectacular storm here on Thursday night which meant aquagym was cancellled . Lots of branches and leaves came down but fortunately nothing more serious . Several villages close by suffered a lot of damage with trees blocking roads , power cuts and severe disruption . We had had intense heat with temps of 34 ° plus all week and those storms are common place later in the summer . Quite scary, like a mini tornado .

I had my second dose of the AZ vaccine on Friday and apart from some slight fatigue, no adverse side effects ( fingers crossed ) Despite being fully vaccinated I have decided I am not going to the Uk this summer . It’s too stressful with isolation and the many expensive tests needed .

Shockwave treatment continues on my shoulder . Some days it feels much better and I am hopeful but then the discomfort returns , ho hum . Have to give it time .

Talking of physio, we haven’t seen Clare ( Tulip) for a while . I hope you are reading this , Clare . How are you doing ? I don’t like it when you go quiet ? Having said that if you do need to be quiet and reset for a while, that is ok .

I am concerned we haven’t heard from Lauren either . Erin too . I just hope you just need a break and /or have other commitments taking up your time and you are ok . If you are struggling with other health issues and can’t focus on the stress of meal plans etc , we get that . We will always be here .

SG / Denise you have been so focused and all your efforts have paid off with those amazing results . I am always in awe of your continued determination and fully understand you want to relax and be a bit less active for a while .Your input is so valuable and I know you won’t be too faraway

Discussions about the success of intermittent fasting , bariatric surgery etc etc . I just know that this is the only way of eating which has worked in the many different diet plans I have attempted . Not only working in terms of finally achieving weight loss ( after years and I mean YEARS of failed diets) but also feeling better, healthier, more energetic and with improved self esteem . I am less disciplined with the calories these days but always low carb and don’t think about adding in the starchy carbage any more . It is a bit frustrating when there are the inevitable attacks on what are undoubtedly successful and sustainable eating plans but I have read and tested too much to be swayed by the latest «  findings » in the news .

By the way did you see the clip on the news showing Cristiano Ronaldo shunning the bottles of Coke made available for him at a news conference, in favour of a bottle of water causing a massive drop in Coca Cola shares ?? Love it ! We need more celebs to do this .

I can hardly believe we are almost at the end of the week again . How ever did I fit in time to go to work ? !!! I do feel a bit guilty when I cannot check in every day but I will do my utmost to keep the thread going . It does happen that people arrive , full of enthusiasm and then fall off for whatever reason but we also have regular contributors and you are all like friends .

I am sure things are busier with summer events and greater socialising and we don’t always have as much time to log on to the forum but don’t worry, there is always someone to respond . Thanks Donna /Hopeful for always replying ! Great to hear things are going well Ruby G and like Russianroulade you are still motivated and determined . Articfox I love the idea of your flowers . The flowers at our wedding here were brought from our guests’ gardens and displayed in milk churns and they felt very special .

Hi Quetzal, Hi Merry ! Always good to see you . Hope the winter does not prove too harsh in Oz . Donna/ Hopeful I have a comfy blanket for cold winter TV evenings and a hot water bottle is an essential ( takes me back to my childhood!)

I have been thinking about your pasta sauce . I have never tried konjac noodles but have made sauces from the I BREATHE I’M HUNGRY book and website run by Melissa Sevigny

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/recipes/

https://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/88-best-squeaky-clean-keto-recipes-sckc/

She has a no cook marinara sauce which yields 4 cups of sauce . Each serving is half a cup and is 84 cals and 5g carbs

Combine 1 x 28 ounce can of tomatoes with half a cup extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar, 1 teaspoon each of salt, dried basil, dried oregano leaves, dried parsley, garlic powder( I used fresh) , onion powder, half a teasppon of red pepper flakes and a quarter teaspoon ground black pepper .

Wizz the tomatoes and olive oil in a blender for about 30seconds and then stir in the remining ingredients . Keeps in the fridge for a week and can be frozen ( smaller portions?)

Melissa also has a Roasted Red Pepper sauce which is 93 cals for a serving of 2 tablespoons and 2 g carbs.
    Just blend 1/3 cup of mayonnaise, 1/3 cup chopped roasted red peppers , 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, half a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon black pepper . Good as a dipping sauce for chicken and sea food and with pasta .

Glad you all liked the lemon kraut with fennel and mint . Thanks Merry !!

Right, have to sign off now but will be back tomorrow

Love to everyone, welcome Ella Mae !!

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Afternoon lovely people – I hope this finds you all well. We are having a lovely sunny day today (in winter), so I find myself in high spirits today – sunshine is always good for my soul.
    All is moving along as normal here – my body seems to have hit another ‘ready to lose’ phase after being in a bit of a plateau, so I find myself at my lowest weight yet which makes me feel confident that eating right does pay off (even when the scales seem to stall for weeks on end). As mentioned previously, I made the decision to increase my calories anywhere up to 1000 a day because I had been feeling so hungry and cold. It seems to have been the right decision for me – the uncontrollable coldness has left my body, and I feel satiated. Most days I am hovering at about 900 cal, less than 20g of carb, and my new wonder-find is konjac noodles and konjac rice. I had experimented with them way back and found them disgusting….however I came across a site that described how best to prepare them, and maybe my tastes have changed, because now I look forward to them every day! (I always pair them with nutritious veges, proteins and healthy fats, so am still getting all the nutritition my body needs, but the additional fibre that I think I was also lacking before. And of course, they are very filling, so I am less inclined to snack).

RubyG – Congratulations on falling down into a lower BMI range!!!! When that happened to me I vividly recall doing a happy dance in the bathroom 🙂 It is a huge achievement, and well deserved!

Elle-Mae – your spreadsheet sounds brilliant! I have been meaning to do something similar. I use My Fitness Pal at the moment and find it convenient, but because some entries are Australian, and some are from other parts of the world, the whole ‘net carb’ thing is always inconsistent. You sound very prepared for great results 🙂

Wendy – firstly, thank you so much for providing those brilliant recipes. I can’t wait to try them both (the Roasted Red Pepper sauce first, I think). It still shocks me how many carbs a simple marinara sauce has, but I have realised how littke sauce is actually needed to impart a good taste. The storm that you went through sounds huge! I was once caught in a typhoon overseas in the Philippines, and it was quite memorable (though devastating given its impact on poverty stricken housing and businesses). Here’s hoping the shockwave treatment pays off in the end.

Sending lots of good thoughts out into the ‘BSD Forum universe’ to Sunshine Girl, Lauren, Clare, JGwen, and many others who we miss hearing from 🙂

• posted by Jeremy Fisher
    on

I had a bit of a false start. After week 1 I had a bad week 2 and was on holiday for week 3 and so thought I’d restart again a week ago.
    I’ve decided to have a go at intermittent fasting 3 days a week with a 24 hour fast on those days (6pm to 6pm). I’ve tried fasting before, but found it really hard – this time, with determination, it’s been a little better, although from about 3pm I do feel very groggy and a little faint – my body just struggles without carbs which have run out by that time in the day!

Does this get any better? Has anyone else tried this?

On the positive side, 4 days off a week is nice!

I lost 1lb this week and 2lbs lost in total

Any tips from anyone that fasts would be most welcome!
    —————
    Summary
    —————
    Weeks 1-3: A bit of a false start – one good week and 2 bad and lost 1lb overall
    Week 4: Started intermittent fasting – lost 1lb – total loss = 2lb

• posted by Reuby19
    on

Good Morning all,
    I am here to admit that I have fallen off the wagon. A gigantic 10lb gain since February. And granted, I have been all over the shop with a busy work schedule, very low motivation for the gym and keeping a toddler alive who can only be described as a lunatic – but still, it’s no excuse. I know what I need to do. I’m posting for some accountability and to keep checking in for tips and pep talks.
    Hope you all have a great week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Welcome back Jeremy and Reuby, you’ll find lots of support here.

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Welcome back Jeremy and Reuby 🙂 Reuby, don’t be too hard on yourself – looking after a toddler is hard work!

Jeremy – I am only 4 months into this, so certainly don’t write with any expertise….but here’s my take on things. Fasting obviously comes with multiple health benefits, including autophagy…. and once your body is ‘fat adapted’, your body should be able to use excess fat stores rather than food for fuel during fasts. To me, three x 24 hours fasts sounds like a lot, especially if you have found it difficult in the past. Just out of interest, what is your primary motivation for fasting? Is it weight loss, or other health benefits? When you say your body feels groggy after 3pmish as it runs out of carbs, I am wondering whether you are currently eating a low-carb diet on your non-fast days? Many people on this forum choose to track their carbs and set a limit that feels right for them – for some it is 50g net carbs per day, for some it is lower (often depending on whether they are insulin resistant, have diabetes, pre diabetes etc). In my experience, if I am eating low carb (I tend to keep to 20g per day), there is no obvious switchover from carbs for fuels to fat for fuels. This way of eating brought an end to the ‘mid afternoon energy crash’ for me, and I think that is because I am fat adapted.

Sometimes I wonder if the best way to work through this way of eating is to do a bit of a cost/benefit analysis. Let me explain. Fasting didn’t work for me when I tried it, because I found that I became a bit obsessive about food and then would eat way too much once my fast ended. I also really did not look forward to my next fast – dreaded it, actually. It became more beneficial for me to only eat within an 8 hour window – overall I still get a 16 hour fast every day (16hours x 7days = 112 hours of fasting per week), and my total weekly calories and carbs are lower this way too (because I don’t reach for snacks). Similarly, in the past week or so I increased my calories from 800 to about 950 per day as I was feeling ravenous…… I can look at this two different ways. Yes, I am eating an extra 150 calories of low carb nutritious food a day. However, I am now satiated, and therefore am not ‘breaking the diet’ by reaching for chocolates, and this way of eating becomes more sustainable long term for me. As a result, my weight loss has sped up. I guess what I am trying to say is only do the fasting if it is working for you…..if it isn’t, there might be other ways to achieve whatever goals it is that you are setting yourself, that make this way of eating much more sustainable and enjoyable for you in the long run.

Donna.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Have just been doing a quick catch up, after not reading posts since last Wednesday. Please don’t be offended if I don’t make an individual response to you.
    SG – congratulations on thar great set of results and I know you really put in a huge effort to achieve them, so completely understand you need to step back for awhile and regroup. Be gentle with yourself and we’ll look forward to having you back with us when you’re ready.
    Jeremy – if you struggle with fasting, why not begin with shorter periods and building up? Anything over 12hrs is beneficial, so if you need to shorten your fast to 19 or 20 hrs, so you can have something at 3pm, you’ll still benefit. From there, you can begin to lengthen your fasts as your body adjusts.
    Reuby – welcome back, I’m sure you will soon sort out that 10lb gain. Keep posting and shout out if you need support or have results to share.
    Elle – I’m like you, didn’t get on with the apps, so built a spreadsheet which calculates cals and carbs and gives me a daily total. Confess I haven’t used it in ernest in sometime, but it was essential to my success (still is) when in a losing phase. Finding our own way to make this WOE work for us with our lifestyles is so important, well done on taking ownership and doing it your way.
    Hopeful – you sound really focused and determined, so will look forward to more great results from you soon.
    Wendy – glad you survived the awful weather and got in a couple of exercise sessions, but it does sound like you are super busy, so remember to take enough time for yourself. Like you, I am totally convinced of the benefits of this WOE and will not be swayed from it now. There is so much solid evidence of it’s benefits and not just for weight loss and BG levels, but for people with a whole range of conditions.

In interest of sharing, after a weekend away visiting with friends, the scales only showed a 0.4lbs blip upwards this morning, which I’m more than content with. This is despite some alcoholic indulgence and a couple of small carby inclusions …. it’s back to the normal regime from today though.

Anyway, to those with good results congratulations and those struggling please don’t beat yourself up or lose heart, dust yourself down and refocus, you can do this! Will look forward to seeing you all on the next weekly thread.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

I realise I didn’t introduce myself, so here goes. I am 61, weight two weeks ago when diagnosed was 11.2, now 10.12, BMI was 27.3 now 26.9. I have 2 grown up children, a boy and a girl. I am from England but currently living in Northern Ireland (10 years). I work as an admin in housing, finding houses for those in wheelchairs and doing adaptations for the disabled. Currently working from home 😁 just going into the office on Fridays for filing and printing. I have spinal stenosis so for the 1st four months of this year was in significant pain and couldn’t exercise, I blame this and the 1st lockdown for my weight gain. I am currently walking around 2 miles a day, which is ok ATM as the weather has been good, but will try to continue when it’s not, just a different route as I live in a village in the countryside with no pavements and a lot of farm traffic so way too much splashing. Looking forward to getting to know you all.

on

Thanks for all the thoughts Donna/SunnyB

In terms of my motivation – I need to lose weight which is my main focus, but I’m interested in the long term health benefits of fasting, which is why I’m trying this approach.

When I started fasting last week, my intention was to go low-carb on my non-fast days, but by mid-afternoon on fast day 2 felt so awful that I relented, gave up early and decided not to restrict my carbs on non-fast days, to start with at least. It was interesting that about 20 minutes after first eating carbs again I felt a surge of energy and started thinking normally again. It was amazing how quickly they acted! I’m obviously very carb dependent!!

I think I’ll persevere a bit longer to see how my body adapts but it’s good to hear of your experience of the alternatives if I can’t make it work for me.

• posted by Elle-Mae
    on

Jeremy good luck with your journey. I have always tried to lose weight and joined Slimming World a few years ago, but didn’t lose weight. The consultant suggested I cut out carbs, so I cut out potatoes, bread, rice n pasta and started to lose weight. I must have been intolerant to carbs back then but didn’t realise the true implications. Have also realised that I am naturally fasting from dinner 7/8ish at night until breakfast about 11 am noon today, except for Friday’s when go into work when breakfast will be more 8.30/9 am (only in office for necessity tasks so not a full day). I was having oats in my breakfast and kept feeling very light headed after about 30 mins, cut them out from yesterday and definitely feeling better.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

As I understand things, repeatedly bumping up carbs doesn’t allow your body to properly adjust into fat burning mode. It is the carbs which drive the hunger and cause crashes when carbs are not supplied, so keeping them consistently low will allow your body to fully adjust and perversely will eventually make fasting easier.

on

Thought I’d investigate further and found this.
    “Mattson’s research shows that it can take two to four weeks before the body becomes accustomed to intermittent fasting. You might feel hungry or cranky while you’re getting used to the new routine. But, he observes, research subjects who make it through the adjustment period tend to stick with the plan, because they notice they feel better.”
    https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/wellness-and-prevention/intermittent-fasting-what-is-it-and-how-does-it-work

• posted by wendleg
    on

I’m here and about to setup the new thread !

Please log in or register to post a reply.