ONE WEEK AT A TIME beginning 10th September 2019

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Crikey last Week flew by and here we are again ready to face the coming Week with determination. Let’s continue to support each other.We all have our successes and achievements. however small they may seem . Please continue to post and don’t get despondent if you feel it is just not happening. Trust the process ! If you are starting out and have just found us, welcome ! This is the best decision you could make for your health !

• posted by Verano
    on

Thank you Wendy for setting up yet another week! You really are a star.
    So last week I followed a keto diet and ended up, just short of 1lb loss. Not a lot to shout about!
    Tomorrow is Tuesday, a new week, a new day, a new start!
    So I’ll be starting yet again ….. not quite sure with which plan …. but I will have a plan!!!
    Looking forward to another week … one at a time!

• posted by EC
    on

morning all
    apologies for little input last week….had a week of non-stop visitors so very glad to be back to a quiet (albeit work-busy) house
    So with all the house guests plans were minimal- and no discards to report…..but it’s Tuesday and I’m back with renewed resolve!! (even ran a little and walked much more briskly with the BC this morning!) and just picked fresh silverbeet for this week’s fritatta.

• posted by David Knight
    on

Second week of 5:2 which was actually 7:0. It was supposed to be 6:1 but I had 900 cals on my fasting day
    No refined carbs or alcohol for 3 days
    TRE of at least 12 hours each night done 3 times
    Blood in the range 4.6 to 5.6
    No weight change
    Average steps 13k
    Considering that I had a 4 day break in Amsterdam where I was 90% good and 10% naughty I am actually pretty happy with that
    Back to 5:2 this coming week

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

Morning all!

Thanks for setting this up Wend, hope your husband is doing well.

Verano – hope this week goes well for you; I gave myself a four week transition from 800 to keto / IF my losses are generally lower than they were on 800, but I find the flexibility and other benefits are keeping me on going on it; I’m sure you’ll find the best plan (or combination of plans!) for you, with a bit of time and experimentation.

EC – never hear of silverbeet; is that like beetroot or something totally different? I love pickled beetroot!

David – good blood results and a week of maintaining can be an absolute win, especially after time away; well done!

WI 18 for me this morning, trying to undo the 3.2lb gain from my holiday. I thought I was still holding quite a bit of fluid and have felt increasingly ‘squishy’ this week (!) so was hoping for a good result – much to my delight, 6.6lb down! Most of that is water, but I’m very happy regardless – August was a slow month on the scales for me, due to holiday and I think also that stress was impacting results too (some health concern, hopefully dismissed with a scan that seems okay, so just waiting a follow up appt) so it’s motivating to see a good chunk of movement in the right direction.

I’m really going to work on my diet through this month, working out what foods are best for my body on my chosen WOE, continuing to re-educate myself on portion size and satiety and no alcohol planned (but I’m not making any promises on that front!) and continuing to indulge my dark chocolate obsession when I can!

Off to the allotment this morning as it’s in a terrible state, so once the kids are in school I need to get weeding and digging before they chuck us off in disgust!

• posted by Verano
    on

David don’t beat yourself up over 900 calories that sounds like a win to me!
    Thank goodness it’s ‘Tuesday’! I have a clean sheet to start again. The best I can say is that last week ended with a small discard, that’s weighing on Tuesday morning. I can’t have different weigh-in days for different threads and as, traditionally, Tuesday is my day I will continue to post my progress here.
    I am going back in time to the time when I did very well with this WOE. Then I weighed all my food and logged it before I ate so I’m going to do my best to get back to that plan. Keto with gay abandon is not restrictive enough for me, more like the opening of the floodgates!
    I wish everyone a successful week, no matter which plan you choose.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

BeeGirl – that is an amazing result! I hope all good on the health front. All well for me on the scales this morning; a slight discard, which I think is down to nothing more than holding back on cheese and making a point of drinking at least 2l of water a day, which I had been not so good at. It would not be a 6T post without mention of the sporran – still with me but I am also hoping squishiness is a positive sign there as well! I am wearing a new purchase, a Granny Smith apple green cable knit turtle neck – bright colours really are cheering! So all in all I am starting this week on a positive note – it’s also my children’s birthday; two years apart but born on the same date – I was obviously pre-programmed…. 25 and 27; and happy and healthy and doing well in their careers – I am blessed with them! All best to all for the coming week!

• posted by David Knight
    on

One other success to report – last night’s overnight fast was my first of 14 hours.
    I am sure this WoE is a major part of how well things have been going. When I had my 900 cal day my instinct was ah well I didn’t hit 800 so that has blown today so a ‘good’ snack is OK. What stopped me was my TRE target
    14 hours is quite difficult with an early dinner and late breakfast but 12 is not too bad. I would recommend giving it a go if you have not already done so.

• posted by Krissie
    on

Hi everyone new to this, but I have fallen into bad habits again after losing over two stone,so I need support to get back on track, ok.
    Look forward to being a part of the group.

• posted by Krissie
    on

Well done David i found the first three days the hardest, but early to bed with big glass of water and a good book helped.
    Which is what I intend to do again after a shaky August.

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Welcome Krissie! There’s lots of wonderful support here, so I hope you can jump right back on track! 🌺🌞

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

So I am returning after much on and off the wagon! Writing about failures didn’t seem much to write about so I persevered on my own. Somewhat good news is that since the start of the year, I have lost a total of 12kg (2 stone) and I can fit into my dress I’m wearing for a friend’s wedding next week! It is still a bit tight on the arms so I am attempting to Fast 800 for the last week or so in a bid to shift another couple of pounds so it is a little comfier. I’ve continued with my weight training so muscles account for the tightness also.
    Beyond social events, I’ve been thinking long and hard about where I want to be physically. This may sound pretty lazy but I want to be in good health but not fret every time I put a pound or two on. Constantly minding my calories or carbs frankly sounds tiring. The mental approach is just as important and am slowly coming round to the fact that I may have viewed excess consumption of carbs and sweets as the norm (just from being hungry/having a bad day etc) and I’ve forgotten what treats are.
    Having said all of that, I don’t want to give up on the Fast 800/5:2 year WOE just yet. Or to be the person that gives up at all. Even when I tell myself just to not count the calories and follow the Med way of eating that feels like giving up. I would like to lose another stone and a half at least so am definitely not ready for the maintenance.

Sorry for the rant, it’s been a bit of going round in circles! It probably sounds very conflicted and confusing 🙁

• posted by Amz the Beautiful
    on

This last week has been very tiring emotionally. I’m trying to pick myself up and keep at it. Fell off the wagon with my workouts so I’m starting again today. I need to keep working with my daughter to get activity in. I’m thinking of hourly mini breaks this week where she has to stop what she doing when the alarm goes off and do 1 minute of activity like jumping jacks or something. I’m looking up different cardio that I can use that will seem fun to her if I just give it a silly name.
    I’ve been finding it hard to fast. Even OMAD, if I don’t eat right before bed, I start wanting to snack. But I feel fine before breaking my fast. I’m just going to forget fasting fit me and solely focus on eating BSD easy day.

• posted by wendleg
    on

OOH I love seeing people returning and expressing renewed enthusiasm whether it be a short trip away or a longer absence.
    V , sounds like the experimenting continues . I don’t know if there is a perfect formula with cals, carb grams, fats etc which suits everyone, I doubt it. I think finding peace with our food choices is a major step even though the discards may not be spectacular every Week. I am still adopting my mix it up approach and trusting the process.
    David that is pretty good going .Well done on your TRE . My experience is that it becomes second nature after a while . Glad it worked for you .
    Where has our other bloke Bikeyguy gone ?
    Hi Merry ! Love reading your posts !
    We will help you along, Krissie. You can do it . Good to see you back !
    6T !! Colour yeah !!! I wore a very bright yellow jumper yesterday with matching sunflower earrings…just right for cheering up a dreary Monday ! It was raining this morning so I decided on a warmer emerald green jumper ( from Sainsbury’s sale !!) and I totally agree, colour is so uplifting !! I had a beige phase and of course the black, hide me away phase but I will definitely be wearing all the colours of the rainbow in the winter !! Who says the colder seasons mean dull, boring clothes ? My jazzy Boden raincoats are legendary in the staffroom 
    Have a lovely celebration with your children, 6T and rock those colours !
    BeeGirl you are a veritable phenomenon ! I love your commitment , determination and your success is an inspiration ! Hope your health concerns are resolved very soon..
    Strongcurves..you have done well and you don’t have very far to go so yes, it is totally achievable. You are very active too and to focus on your health is absolutely the right way to go. I am not going to tell you to give up !! Find the balance that suits you and I agree , finding the mental strength and serenity is the way to sustain this long term. Given what you posted in July about having a troubled, unhealthy relationship with food…being in control could be your « Why » ??
    Enjoy the wedding celebration you have been focused on and then think further ahead to where you want to be ? We will support you !
    I need more time to respond to Amz so I will send her an email
    Lots of love to everyone xx

• posted by alliecat
    on

Bless you Wendy, for shouldering the mantle for yet another week! I’ve been far afield from the forums, but this thread is
    where I will get myself back in tune with the community. As Verano has demonstrated to us all, the threads that survive
    long term have much to do with who is hosting them! You have made this one your own with your generousity of spirit,
    and we’re all grateful for the love you bring here. A warm welcome to those of you that I haven’t met yet. I have the
    unique pleasure, after being a member in good standing for 2+ years, to see so many that were once newbies, prosper
    and succeed beyond their wildest dreams! Wendy, I can actually recall yours, JGwen’s and Birdy’s first posts! How much
    has changed since then! I hope Kirsten and Elky will be joining us too! Amz, I’m happy that you have returned to us…
    I was concerned about you when I was following the track of the hurricane. I hope that you were far removed from the
    coast!

I’ll be properly introducing myself to the rest of you that I don’t know soon. Welcome, Welcome!

Allie

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, I have not been posting often but have been reading daily. Well done to you all and hi to newbies and oldies alike. Well Allie you brought back a few memories. When Verano and I joined 3 years ago we were both fed up with not being about to – now was it fasten our own shoes or paint our toenails – I think it was the second one. I also remember I just wanted to be able to get my wedding ring back on. So yes, a lot has changed.

I dont post because I dont have much different to say on a daily basis but I have just had my latest HbA1c and I am a bit disappointed that it is 6.7 as it was 6.5 before and that was just after a 3 week holiday. My daily numbers are usually around 5.5 but I know it doesn’t come out the same on the 3 month test. I dont bother too much about my weight although another stone off would be nice but I have come to realise that getting rid of the weight will have an impact on my BG levels so the 2 are so closely related I have to make more of an effort to lose weight. Having said that I am heading off on another 10 day holiday but I am able to use a gym and swimming pool to make up for any nights out, so hope to keep a handle on the excesses. I always low carb anyway and cannot imagine eating any white starchy stuff, it just doesn’t appeal any more. I will probably jump back into a weekly challenge when I get back at the end of September and be ready to take a monthly challenge too. Keep up the good work everyone and keep on keeping on…

• posted by Krissie
    on

Thank you everyone for welcome, your posts are fun and meaningful to read ….just know it’s going to me get back on track, today 795 cals. !!!😇

• posted by Verano
    on

Allie and s-g how wonderful to see you both! These boards are just not the same without the two of you!
    Glad nothing untoward has happened to either of you. Yes Allie I understand about the housekeeping when you have a guest, especially from far afield. I’m sure all will be great and nobody will even notice the odd thing out of place. Who lives in a perfect home ….. apart from the ‘stepford wives’ …. hope we never turn into them!!!
    S-g I had some amazing results with my blood sugars by just going keto very low carb, for a few days, but without losing weight. In fact my finger prick test dropped to 4.1 ish after following a keto diet for a few days even though my weight was the same. I have to say it worried me. The last few days I’ve had a couple of Ryvita at lunch time and my levels are back up to the high 5’s. I’m certain that very low carb will bring down our blood glucose, fat will keep us full, but not sure there will be weight loss. I must admit we really enjoyed the recipes with lots of spices and coconut cream but I just can’t get my head around all that ‘fat’!
    Maybe worth taking another look at dietdoctor for some low carb, but relatively high fat recipes. It’s so hard when we have spent 30 years+ being indoctrinated with low fat.
    Anyway, lovely to see you both back.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

I just wanted to say to Amz that if I was in a dark place, Wendleg would I am sure bring calm and comfort. I have mentioned before Amz that you need to look again at those photos from the party earlier this year that you spoke of on the forum – when you saw yourself as others see you – an attractive, smart woman. That was not a mirage – that is YOU! I am sorry that so many things are colliding, professionally and emotionally. Have you thought of dancing with your daughter? Either ballet movements to some classical music, or some made-up-on-the-spot line dancing to some country and western, or disco, or just jumping about to a catchy tune! It might be a great joyful way for you both to move.

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Just jumping on to say hi to all and the new week. So glad you’re back, Allie, the forum has missed you! Luckily I have an inside track to you so I haven’t had to miss out but there are newbies here who will benefit from your wisdom and experience 💕
    Hope all have a good week and thanks, Wendy xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am struggling with my email set up after it was hacked and I haven’t sorted it yet after changing my password.Grrrr
    I want Amz to know I haven’t forgotten her. Thanks for your very warm support 6T . I agree, the exercise has got to be fun and joyous.
    I too am very glad to see Allie and SG back with us The threads are definitely not the same without our doyennes !

Hi Kafin ! Wishing you a good Week .You too are amazing in your determination xx

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi folks,
    First of all, its good to see you back on the forum Allie.

I will try to keep up with the chat on the forum, but my nephew is enthusiastic to work from 6am until late every day so I am enjoying clearing lots of the to do list while I have a willing volunteer.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hello everyone, just popping in to say hello. I’m still here, plugging away, just don’t have much to report just now.

I’ve got family coming to stay this weekend so am currently planning menus that will work for everyone – hopefully 😊 I will make a few carby things too, for those who want them, and just stay out of them myself. (Says she, with great resolution … and some finger crossing 😉 )

6T your new jumper sounds beautiful!!

Allie, it’s so great to have you back again, hugs!

BeeGirl, what we call silverbeet in Australia is the same thing the Americans call chard. It’s also known as Swiss chard. (It’s also sometimes called spinach, but it’s definitely not real spinach – it has big, quite tough leaves, not at all like delicate little spinach.) I’m not sure what you call it in England? Maybe it’s chard there too?

Great to see you back StrongCurves, a 12kg discard is fantastic.

JGwen, definitely make use of the free labour while you can, that sounds like a great plan!!

Hello to everyone else, and welcome to the newbies.

Cheers, Elky

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Morning (or other time of day) everyone!

So I had a mini binge last night and then a long chat with my partner about it all. No tears or drama, just discussing it. He is concerned that although this WOE might work I’m not really addressing my relationship with food and that making such a reduction in amounts I’m eating helps trigger a binge.
    With me, it is always emotional. Bad day at work, worrying about debt, not being organised day to day. It’s also the whole “if it’s there I will eat it”. I think his worry is probably valid. Also, I have Type 2 diabetes sufferers on both sides of the family and my father is glucose-intolerant so I do believe I am at risk if I let my body go.
    Does anyone else here have a history of disordered eating and what do you try and do to overcome it?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Ok so doctor gorgeous was very pleased with me today. When I said I was disappointed it was 6.7 when it was 6.5 before he said I ask for too much of myself. Maybe I do but just think where I would be now health-wise if I hadn’t been on this plan for the last 3 years. Being a pessimist things are bound to go wrong as I get older but being an optimist I say ‘sod that’, I will stay well. Going away tomorrow to see my family in England. Will restart when I get back. Au revoir for now and keep on keeping on….

• posted by EC
    on

Hi everyone
    I’m normally an occasional morning poster but after a family birthday dinner it’s now after 10pm here: -dinner was late, post a day of out of town meetings…..-but absolutely lovely with 2 of our 5 sons, (the others are interstate) girlfriends and eldest granddaughter…the birthday girl…but pretty BSD friendly bar the wine!
    Elky…thanks for the silverbeet explanation for BeeGirl….and funny….our youngest son’s girlfriend is English and over dinner we were discussing cultural terminology (more particularly the Americanisation of ours….(no offense to our US friends)…..just that some of us would like to retain our individuality; ie calling footpaths (as we do) sidewalks; or as the English do, pavements !!)
    Strongcurves…i thought that your earlier comment about not wanting to worry about a few lb or kg in the scheme of being healthy was just that…healthy!!, but re you later comment -I also have experience in one of my jobs with disordered eating and eating disorders. A colleague of mine always quoted that we need to teach our patients that “food is not the enemy” …..we just need to make better choices!
    Verano….looks as if like me, keto is just not just too loose, but that much fat…particularly animal fat including dairy does not feel right. So I’ve actually done a lot of research recently and the consensus in the medical world is that while ketogenic diets are useful for certain condition such as diabetes (and of course epilepsy) and in the short term reduce CV risk factors such as high BP if people lose weight, in general cholesterol levels rise and there are not long-term population studies to support it as a long term dietary intervention. Research into the “blue zones” and longevity are all for the Mediterranean diet, Asian diets and some other regions- sorry for the ramble…..it’s all such a conundrum in this world of excess (including mine!!)-BUT I am in for accountability and back to MFP and calorie counting!!
    xxx

on

StrongCurves – I also struggle with emotional eating. Although I can resist temptations sometimes at gatherings and shopping, I often binge as a sort of revenge when my mate upsets me. Lately, however, I see how flawed this is. I’m only harming my health, pushing my goals to the back burner, and causing emotional turmoil in my heart. I’m working hard on not only resisting buying unhealthy food during regularly shopping trips, but also forcing myself to stay home when I’m frustrated or upset so I don’t have the opportunity to buy junk food. I’m definitely far from solving my food issues, but I feel like I’m slowly gaining ground.

• posted by Verano
    on

So s-g no great panic then! Enjoy your trip back to the UK.
    EC interesting post. I have come to the conclusion that if it doesn’t ‘feel’ right then it probably isn’t! I never had a problem cutting out refined carbs and even when people say “you can’t live without carbs” I know that we can live without the refined stuff because we get enough from vegetables etc. I think I’m with you in counting.
    Today is my ‘day off’ nothing drastic just a couple of pieces of good seeded bread toasted! Boy did I enjoy it! Tomorrow I’ll be back to my normal pattern.

• posted by Birdy76
    on

Morning all and sorry I am a little late to the table Wendy❤️❤️ Thank you for setting the new thread up.

Although I don’t want to make it all about not smoking, it is my 3rd day without the horrific things.

I am still following keto and although I don’t feel like I am getting anywhere I am! My stomach is completely changing shape? It is as if I have been doing sit ups every day!?! I can assure you I am not.😂😂. But I have decided to do the 30day plank challenge! Shouldn’t be too hard I am already a plank sometimes😂😂😉❤️ . I have an abundance of energy that I normally only get when I fast for a couple of days! This is all so new to me and I am enjoying being obsessed! I would never have got to here without you guys and the BSD. I truly am so so grateful to each and everyone of you🥰🥰🥰🥰

Strongcurves that was me hun and I had gestational diabetes when I was pregnant with my son and I still ate everything I shouldn’t!! I injected insulin twice a day and still ate 6 packets of crisps, just because!!! I have tried every diet out there and still grab everything in sit and scoff from morning till night!! Well that was until I got into this. I relaxed and started believing in this woe and got all the advice and support I needed from here and something just clicked?!!!! I have such a different relationship with food now and I only eat when I am actually hungry and I can stop when I am full. Don’t get me wrong I get the odd craving still but I ignore it for what it is a craving and not a necessity. My body does not need it. So I get distracted by something and as quickly as it came to my mind it is gone. I hope I am not making it sound easy as it isn’t/wasn’t. My mind had to click and shift. It takes different times with each individual as you know one size does not fit all!

Forgive yourself and find your rhythm, don’t be too hard on yourself. You get back on the wagon so just do it. If you really want this you will succeed hun. I promise. But you really do need to want it with your whole heart, your mind will then follow and you will find your way. Until you figure out what is blocking you, you will not be able to overcome it. We are here and we will support you in anyway we can hun. Chin up and just KOKO ❤️❤️

Allie and SG so so lovely to see you back. I hope you are all well and the rest of your day is fab. Birdy💞🦜

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Birdy – I am impressed with the no smoking regime – you really don’t do things in half measures do you?! I am also very interested in the sit ups effect! Could you maybe post a typical meal plan for say 3 days? I had an urge for spag bol today, and tried some Soy Bean Spaghetti I found in Aldi (the brand is The Foodie Market – tho that might be an Aldi own brand). It comes dry, like usual spag, but shorter. 1/4 pack serving 155 cals, 3.4g fats, 3.1 g carbs, 12 g fibre and 22 g protein. I know the sauce with tinned toms and some onion is quite carby, and protein also quite high but as an occasional meal I thought it was very tasty and filling (I also had a few parmesan shavings….). The “spaghetti” cooks in about 6 minutes in boiling water, and is very similar to brown spag. I much preferred it in taste and texture to the BareNaked noodles (and I think it was probably much cheaper too). I think it would be very tasty with a carbonara sauce too. I must stock up!

• posted by Birdy76
    on

6T I used to do everything by half measures hun! Something has just clicked with this woe and my results so I have just decided to jump in and get my health sorted. My son is only 13 and I want to see him grow up. I also want to leave him with all the knowledge and know how to make sure he lives a long, healthy happy life. I have never been like this in my life and have always buried my head in the sand.

So far my typical eating has been 3 egg omelette with mushrooms and goats cheese at 12ish, with added bacon or steak. Then for supper between 6pm & 8pm I have something off of diet doctor like Butter chicken or the like. If I am peckish (which is only just starting to happen and I think it is because I am stopping smoking) I have pork scratching or a bit of ham with a coffee and cream. I have cauliflower rice or green leafy veg with my meals usually. I then don’t eat again until the next day around 12. I am
    Also trying to fast over my two nights of working, as that is the easiest as I don’t stop and then I come home and sleep. Easiest prolonged fast ever!

I personally wouldn’t have the soy noodles as soy is not good for us as it has oestrogen in it and it is processed. I have become one of those annoying clean eating people. I buy local and ethical now. Because we don’t eat the amounts we used to it is no more expensive and absolutely nothing goes to waste. I even make my own raw dog food. It works out very cheap and better for them. They can get T2 too!!

I hope this helps. I really thought I was getting nowhere fast until I looked in the mirror properly last night?? It is so crazy how our bodies work and adapt. I also hope to not confuse you 6T.

KOKO everyone. Birdy 💞🦜

• posted by Kafin13
    on

Elky – we also call it silverbeet in NZ but also referred to as yuck.
    Strongcurves – I have major issues with food as a result of my mother passing on her own body issues and restricting my food as a child. It’s my responsibility to deal with it now and I’m not sure if you had any of the same experiences but it really colors your relationship with food. I often wonder if I would have had a weight problem if she had allowed me to just be a kid without all the focus on what I was eating. No one else in my family is overweight so the genes are good! Anyway, I work with a therapist because it has really impacted all areas of my life and I concentrate a lot on emotional eating and thinking about why I want to eat. Often a phone conversation with my Mum will immediately make me want to stuff my face so I have to sit and work through it. Not sure if this is helpful to you but what my therapist says is that there is always something behind it, no one wants to binge or get fat and figuring out what that is and facing it, can help xx
    Amz, your reactions are very similar to mine and the reality is we end up punishing ourselves with food so the same recording can play over in our head that we’re just not worth it and whoever triggers us was right. It’s getting that tape to stop playing that’s so hard, especially if it has been playing for years. I hope you’re doing better and take on board what 6T said. I also second her comment about Wendy 💕💕💕💕
    Keep going, Birdy – one day at a time with the smokes xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Birdy I just love your exhuberance and enthusiasm !!! Not just cracking the kilos but kicking the cigs into touch too , fantastic !!!!
    You have embraced this WOE whole-heartedly and made it your own ! Look how far you have come !! Planks now too !!!!!!!!!
    Shortcurves, as always, Birdy has spoken from the heart and given you some very practical advice.
    I think we have all at some time suffered from some form of ‘disordered eating’ . I certainy did.I had no sensations of hunger, just ate constantly, never feeling satisfied.I was totally chaotic in my eating habits.
    Birdy has explained her WHY ….mine is also to be as healthy as I can …for the rest of my life. It’s not about a particular size, weight although feeling and looking slimmer is satisfying indeed. I have said this so many times but I truly believe that the key to success is reaching the correct mindset. …to be in control of your food choices rather than being controlled and that means making peace with food. As EC says, food does not have to be the enemy.It can be your friend but not a friend who manipulates and undermines you 😉
    Food cannot make you feel better when you are low, angry, bored, worried…only for the briefest moment before the slump and the self récriminations begin. You surely deserve better ? To be free of the worry of Type 2 and feeling at peace in your own body ?
    What is stopping you ?
    I have read a few books by Zoe Harcombe who is very down to earth in her approach, having overcome an eating disorder herself (anorexia and bulimia)
    You could have a look at her blog
    http://www.thedietfix.co.uk
    http://www.zoeharcombe.com/my-books/
    Also ..
    The Beck Diet Solution: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person (Judith Beck)
    It depends if you like the idea of ‘self help ‘ books , Strongcurves but there are lots of useful strategies in these books to help identify the danger/binge urges and the thought processes at those times.
    I don’t think there is one solution but I agree with Birdy that being determined to find why you are sabotaging yourself is crucial .You can overcome the emotional eating and the binge disorder, Strongcurves. Can you just take the simple step of ridding your home of trigger foods ? I am in no way underestimating the difficulties but staying low carb will help you to beat the sugar cravings in the first instance and give you back some much needed control.
    Do it for your health Strongcurves xx We will be here to support you.xx
    Just read Kafin’s brave post. I think most of us on here have deep seated issues which have coloured our relationship with food and have been the reason we have been battling for so long.Kafin has identified her demons and is doing her utmost to overcome them. There is light at the end of that long tunnel and I just want to give you some hope .

• posted by wendleg
    on

Sorry I haven’t quite caught up with everyone but I will ! xx
    I am still hoping our ‘absentees’ will pop in and let us know how they are doing

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Just re soy having “oestrogen in it”, I am not a scientist, but I think it’s important to say it’s not oestrogen in a mammalian sense – I found this from Harvard, which might be of interest to some: https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/soy/
    I will continue to eat the occasional soy bean spaghetti dish, just as others may have tofu from time to time. I think it’s great that these kind of things come up on the forum, which can then lead us to think about things and explore further – so not a criticism at all of Birdy’s post – knowledge is power and I have found out so much on here in the last few months. And I agree less processing in the food we eat is good! Ditto for dogs! I’m going to get back to preparing their cooked heart or chicken or fish and veggies. I have got a bit lazy… I am sure you know not to go too heavy on liver (Vit A…)

• posted by EC
    on

oh, Kafin…poor silverbeet being called yuk! -it just needs cooking well and good companion foods-but then, I love all greens except green cabbage (I like red cabbage-go figure!)-when all my kids were young, I used to make a pasta sauce with a huge bunch of silverbeet steamed and then blended with a whole block of tofu and one of feta-of course the salty feta overrode the taste of everything and the “green pasta sauce” was a hit for years!!

Thanks for the links re eating disorders-great info!

Speaking of tofu, sixturkeys, you’re correct-soy is not oestrogenic in a mammalian way. It used to be referred to as a “plant oestrogen” which in a way was misleading. In medical circles it’s now referred to as a “selective oestrogen receptor modulator” or SERM-which while a mouthful it is a more accurate term of it’s action.
    Basically it has a similar chemical structure to oestrogen which meas it can compete for receptor sites in the body-uterus, breast etc

In a younger woman (ie still menstruating) this has a net lowering effect as the soy has a much weaker effect in the body than ovarian oestrogen (it’s called competitive inhibition). Post menopausally, it can “top up” remaining, but low oestrogen.
    So unless you’re allergic, soy is a great food (just look at Asian populations-lower rates of cancers, CVD less menopausal symptoms ) Soy is shown in research to have anti-cancer properties, improve bone density and its a great vegetarian source of protein.

Sorry for the long rant, but I’ve been have this conversation with patients (I’ve been a practicing naturopath for over 30years…but now only part time, as I also work in events) for years, as there’s so much misinformation about -that said, we are fortunate in Aus to have good access to organic soy products, while I believe that in the US its often grown for fodder and frequently GM

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Wow Amz! I looked back and on 4 Sept, just 8 days ago, you posted 180 – today 170! How are you? And your little girl? Do take care, and be kind to yourself. Please do let us know. And re other thread, I want Birdy’s mirror!! That is amazing to see your body re-sculpting itself, and so quickly. You are so forensic in looking at every inch – I told you that new summer wardrobe would be one season only! How are the dogs getting on with their new menu? And JGwen, your nephew sounds very handy, albeit with a taste for novel sarnie fillings. Kafin, I also found your post very touching. You know we are all here for you. As we are for all, who I hope are all well (plse forgive the dodgy syntax…)

• posted by Kafin13
    on

EC – sorry! I apologize to silverbeet! I love pretty much all vegetables and to be honest I haven’t had it since a kid so I probably would like it!!
    Thanks 6T xx

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

Thank you all who provided such wonderful advice and words of encouragement. I am pleased to report I have not binged for the last 2 days and it feels like such a huge achievement. I have given myself a little breathing space from the calorie restriction to focus on processing the binge urges but still keep the carbs relatively low ~50-70g. This feels like the right approach until I feel comfortable to enter ketosis without as much worry of lapsing. I have also read the Brain over Binge blog and book. I will look out Zoe Harcombe’s work Wendleg, sounds promising

Happy Friday everyone! To good health 🙂

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I’m back from a reunion in a bar and quite happy with how I managed. Most people were either not eating or stuffing their face with chips/fries. I had a couple of wine and ordered a full meal : pork belly and roasted veggies. 100% Keto and very nice.
    Now I’m going home and I’m happy that I managed to enjoy meeting friends while keeping on my WOE.
    However I could « kill » the lady next to me who thinks that eating a hot greasy burger in public transport is ok 🥺😤😤

on

I’m still struggling to resume daily exercise.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Got a bit tied up with late school meetings but it’s the weekend and all is well !
    Hope the Week has gone well. I am so pleased to hear that you are managing the binge temptations, Strongcurves. Remember you are not alone and you can offload on here anytime.I hope you can be inspired and encouraged by the techniques discussed in the books and blogs. Emotional eating is such an insidious , invasive burden and we have all succombed to it at some time but you have our support Strongcurves, and anyone else reading this.
    Walked up the road to our local farm and stocked up with lovely organic veggies which had been picked only a few hours before.Simple pleasures ! I fully understand Birdy getting excited in her local shop !!
    Yes, we call silverbeet chard in the Uk …and it is not nasty at all , wilted with a bit of butter. Hubby grows it .
    How are you Amz ?
    Isn’t Scottishgal back from her trip to Vienna now ?
    I am still missing all our ‘absentees ‘
    I will check in over the weekend, hoping to hear from you xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh hi Amz ! Sorry to hear you are struggling to get into your exercise routine.Don’t worry too much. Do what you can manage…try to concentrate on being well and choosing foods which just make you feel good. Keep posting . We are here for you, and for everyone, as 6T says xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Good morning /evening everyone!
    I hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend. I do appreciate not bringing so much work home these days and can fully appreciate a break.
    I am starting to do my clucking again….worrying where people have gone ..Bikeyguy ?
    Any more experiments with TRE , David ?
    Have you had a good weekend,EC ? Spring arriving there must feel wonderful. Lots of love to our Aussie members xx Merry , you are always very welcoming and encouraging to new members xx Thank you
    Hope you are enjoying your family time in the Uk, sunshine girl. I am looking forward to our Christmas trip.We haven’t spent Christmas in the Uk for some time.
    Family time for you too, Elky.I hope you are having a lovely time with your folks and they enjoyed your food !
    How are you, Strongcurves ? I hope you find the book recommendations useful.
    JGwen..that’s fantastic to get help with your ‘to do ‘ list. I am astounded by your stamina in such a
    demanding job which leaves you very little respite. I love that you are in tune with your body and the
    long term healing process…that is important to bear in mind at all times.
    How has your weekend been, 6T ?
    Amz..we know it’s a struggle but we are always here whenever you feel you can check in. Don’t be too hard on yourself. One step at a time..
    Hi V ! I hope you have found some peace with your questioning about the best WOE to suit your lifestyle. I responded to this on another thread but my view is that it is important to trust the process,to relax and enjoy good, nutritious foods, to be free of the cravings, feeling well,even if the discard slows down. We need to have a healthy relationship with food which enables us to sustain good habits for the rest of our lives. We have to enjoy our food knowing it is doing us good and is not something to fear.
    Welcome Krissie ! How are you getting on ?
    Beegirl ! I miss your posts ! Are you busy on the allotment ? Making the most of the decent Uk weather ?
    Busybee ! Let us know how you are .
    Babybumblebee …check in when you can !
    So many bees 😉 Have to look after our bees.
    Maisiebeth..looking forward to hearing from you too.
    I know Kafin is never far away and knows we are all thinking of her .
    I thought Scottishgal would be back telling us about her Vienna trip ? Hi Scottishgal !
    KimSue posted on an earlier weekly thread but I havent heard from her since ?
    I am also concerned we haven’t heard from articfox for a while ?
    Crikey, I am really clucking ,aren’t I ??
    I hope I haven’t forgotten anyone. Just pop in and say Hi when you can xx
    Not forgetting Sunny who is getting ready for her trip to India ! We will miss you SunnyB . Have a
    fabulous time.
    …and also Birdy who is now a NON SMOKER !!! Respect Birdy !! Keep going !!

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

I’m still around, don’t worry about me Wendy, just à little busy(er) with the kids at the moment.
    Melbourne didn’t feel very springy today, quite miserable weather! ☔️☔️
    Have a good start of the week everyone!!

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hello all. Lovely sunny day in London – in fact I’m finding it a bit hot….I am out tonight for belated children’s b’day celebrations, with their respective O/Hs and my mother. I thought I would treat myself to another (semi-permanent) champagne hair colour with a cut yesterday (I’m naturally light grey with some white now..) Not my usual stylist, she suggested I should “warm up” the colour a bit….My mistake was to agree. It turned out really dark brown with reddish tinge – got her to wash it out; left with reddish, got her to wash out again, ended up Donald Trump. Threw my toys out of pram and got one of their top seniors to step in, who could do little else but put champagne on top….So now I am a definite “strawberry blonde”. Obviously was not charged and I have a consultation with manager tomorrow so they can explain how they are going to put it right. So it’s not exactly “Tango” but it sure ain’t the discreet champagne I had gone in for. At least the cut and blow dry is nice! Messing with nature hey (and listening to someone who you would hope knew what they are doing…) I will catch up in more detail with threads, tho I did see that California Girl/Julia is heading back to the US. That was quick! I do hope you have enjoyed Bath – what a beautiful place to spend a few months in. Hope all are well. xx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi 6T ! Sorry you had a disappointing experience. I bet you look lovely..and especially if the cut is nice. It’s hard to imagine a change in our appearance…sometimes we have to be brave. My lovely hairdresser also advised me to ‘warm up ‘ my colour in the winter months and as I am a trusting soul..I agreed. It wasn’t a radical change..just a deeper,more vibrant copper tone which I have got used to. You know what you want though 6T and I am sure there will be a solution found. We look forward to the next episode of 6T and her hair woes..at least it is taking your mind off your “sporran” 😉
    Have a lovely celebration tonight xxx

• posted by BeeGirl
    on

6T – sorry the hairdresser didn’t go according to plan. I’m usually purple with pink or pink with purple but I changed to pillar box red with blue streaks on Thursday; first comment from a guy at work on Friday – ‘Crystal Palace or Barcelona?’ Right then, back to purple and pink it is, next time 😂😂

• posted by Verano
    on

Wendy I’m not sure if I saw/responded to your post! I don’t fear food, just the amount of fat in a keto diet! I don’t have cravings and I do respect and enjoy food. I think I need a longish spell to get back into the groove and I do have nearly five weeks now. I was quite shocked yesterday when I filled in my FatSecret to find the Thai tuna that I was planning had quite so many calories with coconut cream, so I adapted it!
    Anyway, I know where I’m headed to now but it may just take me a lot longer than average!
    Sorry if I’ve repeated myself! Thanks for your thoughts though.

Please log in or register to post a reply.