Olive Oil

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Thee
    on

Hi, I am just starting out and wanted some good brand info on extra virgin Olive Oils that are not counterfeited (as Michael mentions in Clever Guts Book). Thanks

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I have never heard of counterfeited Olive Oil and generally go for Extra Virgin. Look on the label, it should contain nothing else but Olive Oil, so no preservatives, no emoliants or anything added. You should be okay. Also the price, you need to expect to pay a reasonable amount. In UK I’m not sure of pricing but around £5.00 or more.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Counterfeit olive oil is something of a puzzle to me too, but I did a quick google search and it seems to be something of an issue. Thought the following article was quite helpful, in a broad sweep sort of way: http://uk.businessinsider.com/where-how-to-buy-real-extra-virgin-olive-oil-2017-6

Sunshine-girl is right, in the UK you can expect to pay about £5 upwards for 500>750ml of a good extra virgin olive oil and it’s best to buy a size you know you will use in a reasonable amount of time – i.e. before it goes bad once opened. There’s some advice on storing olive oil on this site: https://livelovefruit.com/fake-olive-oil-is-everywhere-7-popular-brands-stop-buying-now/

Really we are to some extent, at the mercy of what manufacturers choose to tell us on their labelling, so use that as your initial guidance, but tasting it is the best way to tell if you have a good product or not. Our friends in Turkey farm olives and that is where I get most of my oil from. You should be able to drink olive oil without if leaving an unpleasant taste in your mouth, so I’d say use tasting as a final measure of whether you have a good product or not.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Reported

Please log in or register to post a reply.