Not sure how to post

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by deetia52
    on

Hi I am having problems finding how to post. Hope this is ok although not a new topic as such. I have been trying on and off for a month now. Just back from my holidays and put on LOADS so now ready to do this properly. Plan for today –
    B – greek yogurt and blueberries
    L – Feta and salad
    D- Chicken and salad
    Evenings are danger times for me, thought maybe hummous and celery, any suggestions.
    I really hope that I can do this now because I feel yuk ( cos of all the junk I’ve been having)
    I’m enjoying reading the posts
    Dee

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Welcome to the forums deetia52. Your post is AOK. You’ve made the right decision and today is not only the 1st of July but the 1st day of your BSD journey and the 1st day of the rest of your life.
    If you’ve read the book, that’s great – if not, reading it (over and over) helps get your head around it. Read the forums as well because there’s heaps of valuable information and help if/when you need it.
    Best wishes.

• posted by davemo
    on

Hi all,
    Just started the 8 week plan with my wife yesterday. We are really excited.
    One of my friends put me onto it after losing 20kg’s.
    I would never have believed it was possible if I had not witnessed it with my own eyes.
    A couple of very quick questions if someone could help.
    1) what is the best free iPhone app to keep track of calories, exercise etc
    2) for snacks, what would people recommend – a handful of peanuts, strawberries etc.
    3) is there anything that can be eaten (as above) without limit? He said he could eat as many strawberries as he wanted.
    4) can vege portion sizes be increased? Followed a recipe last night saying 100g of broad beans. Would have liked more.

Thank you all in anticipation.

Regards
    davemo

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi davemo

Congrats on landing here. You won’t believe what happens in your household over the next few weeks, could be life changing. Sounds like your friend has set a great example.

Questions:
    I can answer the exercise cal distance thing. Mapmywalk by Under Armour is what I use when I step out on the big walk of the day. Great fun with a record of all I have done since kick off. I use an Omron pedometer for the rest of the day as it is more convenient. Because I don’t log food on any gizmo, stay tuned some of our regulars will direct you.

Snacks, avoid the peanuts purely because they are high in carbs, almonds and walnuts are a good alternative. You will soon learn we try to keep carbs down to less than 50g a day. Don’t worry too much, once in a pattern you find your choices lead you that way.

Don’t overdo the fruit either. It’s good and healthy and all, however the sugars, even the naturally occurring ones pump up the cals with carbs.

One thing you can have as much of as you like is WATER. Cannot undersell that point, if in doubt drink water. Like others here I have found fizzy water sheds the kgs faster. Need a lab expert to tell me why but it is my new fav thing for sure.

Adding in extra amounts of what you like will work if you count and keep cals in check. Remember, do not beat yourselves up if you nudge over 800 some days. Very soon you will know what you can bulk up on.

You will also experience the miracle of …..not being hungry. Let me know when that happens, it is less than a week away.😲
    That’s when the tension rolls off, you feel great, you relax and quite simply get on with it. Snacks were always THE most important thing on any diet I have been on, in desperation of staving off hunger, doesn’t happen here….not often anyway.

Tiny word of caution you may feel a bit jaded in the next few days, it’s the carb detox effect, hang I there, it passes PDQ then you will be comparing 20kg weight loss with your friend.

If you don’t have the book get your eyes over one. A lot of us read and reread from time to time.

FYI, I am 19 weeks in to the EIGHT week plan, love it, still cruising, I’m not diabetic but it has fixed my auto-immune condition and how! A few more weeks and a few more kgs and I will be my ideal BMI, then off to the GP to get comparitive bloods test.

Good Luck to you both, I will look out for your progress reports.
    Nettle.

• posted by Minnie48
    on

I have posted on other peoples sites but am curious as to how to post on a new thread. Can anyone explain it to me.
    Minnie

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Minnie
    Go to the Forums bit on the subject bar along the top of the page.
    The drop down menu gives you The forums as the first option. Click on that to find Browse all topics in Welcome to the BSD and it offers you the option to start a new topic.

• posted by Minnie48
    on

Thank you so much ay Caramba for your reply. Did what you said and I made it work. Not that I doubted you.
    Am very new to this so any help is much appreciated. What lovely lot you all are.
    Minnie x

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

Hello davemo if you are still out there I would like to concur with everything nettle says, and also to say don’t worry about snacks unless you must. Save your cals.

• posted by ruthdownunder
    on

ps Dave you could probably eat as much celery and cucumber or lettuce as you wished, but I find it better to keep it to bulk up your meals

Not too much fruit, have you seen the carbs in strawberries?

Please log in or register to post a reply.