Not losing weight

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Lauralollipopthe1st
    on

Hi all 🙂
    I was hoping someone could help/advise of their own experiences to stop me going mad!
    Now, I didn’t weigh or measure myself for the first 3 weeks….partly because I was trying to convince myself that it didn’t matter how much weight I lost, just that I felt better but mainly that I was scared to look.
    However, since getting the scales at 3 weeks in, I’ve lost 1/2 pound in 2 1/2 weeks?!
    I’ve stuck to 800 calories the majority of the time, the odd days going to 900 but everything being healthy and no refined carbs or alcohol. I have also upped my water intake.
    I see some of the posts saying to reduce carbs even further but generally the only carbs I have are vegetables…plus, I didn’t recall from the book about having to do that.
    I guess I’m just confused as weight fell off me doing slimming world when I could have unlimited pasta and potatoes! I’m reluctant to go back to that after what I’ve read here as I feel this is the much healthier approach!
    I’m not diagnosed as diabetic but had gestational diabetes and feel very much at risk as I need to lose half my body weight to be considered “normal range” in terms of BMI.
    I’m not going to give up as I feel so much better, which is an incentive as it is! It would just be nice for the scales to back it up! I’m holding on to the hope of a “whoosh effect” but don’t know if that will actually happen?! Any similar experiences to me? Thank you for reading xx

• posted by HopefulinOz
    on

Hi Laura,
    I have only been doing this for 11 weeks, so can only advise you on what I have learnt along the way, but hopefully it helps:
    1. Not all vegetables are created equal. I personally choose to limit myself (whilst in weight loss mode) to above ground, lower carb veges. Think spinach, rocket, asparagus, zucchini, mushrooms. I avoid tomatoes and anything else that has too much carbs. And I weigh and count everything in MyFitnessPal, even spinach leaves, because I am consistently trying to keep my carb levels very low.
    2. A number of people on here try to limit their carbs to under 50g net carbs per day to get into ketosis. Some go even lower (less than 20g per day), especially if insulin resistant, or have T2 diabetes or pre-diabetes. You have to find what works for you.. You could, for example, try less than 50g net carbs per day for a few weeks, and if you still aren’t losing, drop it lower.
    3. Track and weigh absolutely everything – don’t rely on ‘estimates’ as they are often wrong.
    4. Avoid all sugars. Aim to keep protein levels to about 0.8-1.0g per ideal body weight per day. The rest of your calories are made up of healthy fats….extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, butter, ghee, cheese, cream etc.
    5. Drink lots of water. At least 2 litres a day.
    6. And sometimes, it will take your body a little while to get used to what you are doing. But in my experience, if I stick to these guidelines, it works (and I have spent 25 years doing diets that never worked, so it is somewhat of a revelation to me. I have gone from buying Large sized clothes, to Small (and sometimes Extra small) in just under three months. Sometimes you see the scales drop, sometimes only the measurements….but trust me, it works.

I am sure that lots of other people will be able to give you more suggestions. Best of luck x

• posted by Lauralollipopthe1st
    on

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it! Full of great advice too…I generally stay below 50g of carbs but probably guess weight too much by thinking “that’s a 100g bag and I’m having half” type thing so think it’s best that I do keep on track more.
    Thanks again and congratulations on your success…I’m definitely sticking with it xxx

Please log in or register to post a reply.