Not loosing weight quickly

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by gijsje
    on

Hi, I have been on the blood sugar diet for two weeks and have lost -2.7 kilo’s. Not impressive… Since I’m overweight by 8 kilo’s you would expect it be a bit more. I changed my scooter for a bicycle and cycle around the city (Amsterdam) a lot now, and completely skipped alcohol. Can anyone tell me if this rate is okay – and convince me to just go on with the diet? I’m also thinking to maybe vast for 2 days in a week, so that my calorie intake is 5:2 = 800:500. Is that a good or a bad idea?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi – well done for your weight loss!

You have got comparably little to lose, and sometimes the weight hangs on.

Several suggestions
    – did you measure yourself and are your clothes looser?
    – have you checked your balance of carbs/fat/protein in your calories? You can enrol in an app such as My Fitness Pal and enter what you’re eating to see the balance. Planning a low carb intake – some people here do 50gms per day, I’m trying to stick to 20gm, as I, like you, have comparatively less to lose – can kickstart weight loss.
    – you could try Ketostix which help you test if you are burning fat with a very simple test
    – ensure you keep your liquids well up

I know I am losing weight, I can see I look thinner – but 4 wks in and c 2.5k down. However I am burning fat as the Ketostix tell me, so it must be going from my internal organs which is great news.

I have been told that the subcutaneous fat (the bit you can see) is last to go, but on a carb-low 800 cals, it WILL go.

Don’t give up, keep persisting. I am!

Good luck.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

To be honest with only 8kg to lose you are never going to lose weight as fast as others.
    The people showing a dramatic early weight loss are those with a lot to lose.
    To get to perfect weight from day 1 I would have to lose in the region of 30kg
    You have lost 37.5 % of your target in 2 weeks, most people would be delighted with that.
    Stick to what you’re doing, you will get to where you want to be.

• posted by orchid
    on

Hi Gijsje, As the others have said, with 8kg to loose you will not loose as much per week as some people.
    The expectation is that over 8 weeks you will loose between 10 and 20% of your starting weight. I suspect if you do a check you will find you are within that. I took 10% of my starting weight and then divided it by 8 so I knew what loss to expect each week and I was not doing that I needed to look hard at what I was doing. If you do that check and you are below the 10%, when check for hidden carbs, you may be eating a lot more carbs than you realise and even on 800 cals, carbs of 80g plus a day will probably mean you loose weight slowly. The other ideas from Igorasusual are also worth doing, often the waistband shows before the scales!
    As Bill says – 37.5% of your target in 2 weeks is pretty good – well done and good luck!

• posted by gijsje
    on

Thank you all for your nice replies, I will go on! My trousers feel much more loose, so something is definitely happening – and I have a lot of energy. So even if I don’t loose weight quickly, I will persist. And buy Ketostix!
    have a nice day, Gijsje

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Excellent gijsje – keep us posted of your experiences! Glad you have energy and your trousers are loosening! 🙂

I am away on business in Cologne for three days, but managing to keep BSDing. Looking forward to seeing whether I am in the 9st something range when I get back (that would be a triumph), but even without Ketostix (didn’t bring them with me) I know I am low-carb and burning fat, and can see it when I look at myself.

Good luck to everyone!

Please log in or register to post a reply.