Non Scale Victories

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by JGwen
    on

For those of us who have reached the point where a healthy body is more important than the reading on the scales. –

A place to share links and ideas on reversing insulin resistance and achieving the benefits of better body composition.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I just came across this interesting article on facebook, which has a number of links to other articles.

I can’t ever see me wanting to wear a bikini and stand on a stage covered in baby oil to show off my muscles. 🙂 But replacing some of this fat with more muscles to raise my metabolic rate is something that interests me.

https://mennohenselmans.com/natural-muscular-potential-women/?fbclid=IwAR0Wx9TRwcyhIlfiyRNiNtbhsKQC0jVq-qaX_BClsNzLHlZgkWeLP72rFlw

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Hi JGwen,is it ok if I join this thread as well as the Countdown one as I have been feeling rough indulging in carbs and sugar over the last four days and my middle has bloated extensively,reminding me that my body shape is what I’m aiming to change.Dawn X

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

The American Journal of Health Promotion talks about how changes in diet and exercise can control the progress of covid19.
    Ok here people are already convinced of this, but the article addresses the medical community’s inclination to ignore this aspect of protecting against severe symptoms of covid19 as well as diabetes and heart disease. There are useful references also.

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0890117120930536c

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi JGwen, thanks for starting up this interesting thread. I read the article you linked to. What I take away from that is that we as women should not be afraid to lift heavy and work out hard. No risk of getting “bulky” (and even though I don’t like the way the fitness ladies looked in that article – I wouldn’t mind some muscle showing…😁).
    I see a personal trainer once a month and this is totally in line with what she is making me do, better to 8 deadlift at your max than 3 reps of 15 at lower weight.

One of my aims is to lower my % body fat. I’m soon at healthy BMI (I hope, fingers crossed), but I’m far from a healthy % body fat. Feels like it’s all sitting on my belly! Thinking of it as my insulin resistant hump. Going to need some serious action to deal with that. The aim is low carb, fasting and resistance training.

Here is some info on body composition, women vs men. Based on this I’m aiming to get below 30 % body fat as a first goal. (I can do body scan at my gym, perhaps not the most accurate but what I have.)
    https://www.fitnescity.com/blog/body-fat-percentage-chart

Best of luck with NSV in the new year!

• posted by JGwen
    on

None Scale Victories.

This thread is for those who want to plan and celebrate steps on the road to a healthy body. They may take the form of inch loss, or fitness improvements, or simply feeling more energetic or beating back the carb monsters. – Each of us will be on our own journey but with one common theme, the reading on the bathroom scales is completely irrelevant to measuring progress.

Most of us are drawn to this WoE initially because of the promise of weight loss, but this ignores a really important point which comes out of returning to health. –

Our weight is made up of the mass of bone, muscle, water and fat we carry. – As we reduce insulin resistance and return to a healthy hormonal balance we will not only be reducing body fat and inflammation but we will be increasing bone and muscle strength.

The scales do not reflect success because improvements in bone and muscle density result in weight gain.

A story from Megan Ramos really illustrates how emotionally draining it can be to focus on the scales as the way of measuring progress.

I will never forget one of my patients came into my exam room dancing. She was a wealthier woman but looked almost homeless. Her pants were about six sizes too big and she had a fancy leather belt tied in a knot around her waist. I couldn’t help but laugh, she looked ridiculous.
    I asked her what was with her look, and she replied she’s been losing so much weight she gave up on buying clothes. She was just going to look ridiculous until she stopped losing weight. We both had a laugh and talked about how her fasting and diet was going, and then I asked her to step on the scale, so I could get her measurements. I remember her dancing to the scale and within a few minutes breaking into hysterical tears. She hadn’t lost weight since I took her measurements five weeks earlier. She had to sit down and started hyperventilating. ‘How?’, she said.
    I asked her to stand back-up for me, so I could measure her waist. She had lost four inches in a month. That’s a lot of body fat! Well, this lady just didn’t care. Her whole life she was told the scale is the ultimate maker of what makes her weight-loss efforts successful and what inevitably makes her healthy.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi ADD6605, Of course its fine for you to join this thread as well as the battle bus.

Hi Patricia1066 thank you for the link.

Hi Olive_1, I have the same aims for the New Year, focusing in reversing Insulin Resistance and discarding fat.

When I joined the forum it was the reading on the scales and to be honest the headline figures on the number of lbs that would be lost in a few weeks that drew me. – At the end of the initial number of weeks I was in the “fortunate” position of still having a substantial amount of fat to discard and that gave me the opportunity to learn more about the whole issue of insulin levels and healthy body composition.

I enjoy the support of the forum and the opportunity to share information and ideas with other forum members, but I find the constant fixation on the reading on the scales not only off putting but I worry sometimes about the emotional impact of this focus. – I did think about walking away from the forum for a while last year simply because I was so tired of all the desperate pleas for help because the scales hadn’t dropped by kilos for the last 24 hours. I instead decided to be the change I want to see in the world and decided to set up a thread for those of us who want to focus on healing our bodies.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen, this looks like an interesting thread and although I may not contribute much to it, I shall certainly be following and reading with interest.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Thanks for setting up this thread, JGwen. This week has definitely shown me that I need to improve my strength. I put my back out again just before Christmas and the earliest I can get into physio is next week. In the meantime we have had about 35 cm of snow and I have been having to shovel it like mad to keep the drive clear. Now we are set for a bit of a thaw over the weekend and I am trying to get the mountains of snow that have slid off the roof away from the foundation of the house. It has been quite cold these last 2 weeks as well, so I have been having to carry loads of firewood into the house. I am realizing that I will not be able to run this property unless I improve my body composition and get stronger.
    I have been doing moderately well with TRE recently but no fasting longer than 24 hrs at the moment. I can probably try for longer going forward into the new year. I find fasting quite difficult during the really cold weather though, so I might need to wait for it to warm up a little before extending my non-eating window. I frequently have a first meal around 10 or 11am. I am planning to start an exercise program next week and will do that in the mornings, so will be exercising in a fasted state.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Hi everyone.

My NSV is fasting. I’ve been doing approx 16 hour fasts* each day for quite a while, but decided to relax over Christmas. I discovered I don’t want to go back to eating because it’s considered to be a mealtime, or just because food is available and now actually prefer waiting until I’m genuinely hungry. I was really sceptical about the whole idea of short daily fasts, but am now totally converted.

* We have our evening meal around 7, and don’t eat again until midday at the earliest. It’s often later as we usually go for a walk beforehand and if the weather is nice we go further.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone,I’m interested to try a new approach .I weigh daily as I think it helps me to stay focussed.I can usually feel when Im gaining .Idiot need the scale to tell me. so I will change to weekly for a while. Over the last few weeks Ive been eating rubbish and I feel really toxic.I gained 3 kg and my sciatica has flared up .My fasting sugars have improved.averaging 5.5mmol/l. So Its clear good health and diet are important and weight is only one of many indicators.I think the massive increase in carbs has given my pancreas a kick to produce more insulin but it’s not sustainable.Today ,will measure myself and start to review these articles.In the past I have found lots of YouTube items help me to stay focussed.o

• posted by Waitaminute
    on

Hi all,
    This thread suits me down to the ground.. I weighed myself when we came back from our month long holiday and wasn’t surprised that I’d put on everything that I’d tried so hard to lose..that’s what eating and drinking loads of carbs will do..so now it’s back to square one. I’m definitely not going to weigh myself until I have some NSVs. I want to be able to run around like a mad woman with my grandkids when I finally get back to Tassie, so I need to be extremely strict with myself.
    I had a successful day yesterday..drank so much water I practically lived in the loo !!
    Today has been similar..had scrambled eggs, avocado and smoked salmon for breakfast. Dinner is going to be chicken meatballs and salad.. I snacked on a couple of nuts that were left over from our trip, had a swim and am drinking heaps of fizzy water.
    Hopefully the carb flu will bypass me this time, as it did last time.
    Stay safe, healthy and happy 😊🖐️

• posted by Squidge
    on

It’s difficult to know how often to weigh ourselves, isn’t it? If we like what the scales say it can be motivating, but if we don’t it can have the opposite effect. The less frequently we do it, the more likely it is that weight loss will show up, and the more accurate the result will be as we’ll see the overall trend, not daily fluctuations. Even so, I can’t help checking most days.

Good luck with losing the weight you regained Waitaminute and Butterlover. You did it before, so you know you can do it again – and you’ve seen what happens if you go back to having lots of carbs, so hopefully will be better able to resist doing that in future.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,
    I had a catch up on the videos on the insuliniq website the other day. – This is the site set up by the team supporting Dr Bikman and currently you can have free membership of the site and see all the videos, while they are beta testing of the site.

If anyone does not know of Dr Bikman, he is an expert in bioenergetics which is the study of nutrient biochemistry and the process whereby a cell, and the body by extension, converts energy in consumed nutrients to energy in a cell.

To give an example of why I think its helpful to follow his work. This is a quote form an interview with him on why he thinks that it is important to control Insulin levels.

Insulin has a direct effect on how every cells uses energy. Essentially, insulin promotes energy storage. One way it does this is to slow the metabolic rate of cells, a phenomenon that is even detectable in the whole body; increasing insulin slows metabolic rate by up 20%. We recently published that insulin slows the metabolic rate in fat cells, which may contribute to the overall reduced metabolic rate. In contrast, ketones, which are by-products of fat burning, stimulates these same fat cells to have a higher metabolic rate. Indeed, when exposed to ketones, metabolic rate in human fat cells increases by 200%.

—————
    One thing that is done on his website is that he takes research papers and talks about his take on the research. There is a one on thyroid. Scientists have extracted samples of fat cells from people with low, high, and “normal” thyroid levels. They have identified that thyroid levels control the number of receptors for insulin on fat cells. – People with low thyroid levels have higher numbers of insulin receptors per fat cell, which means that fat is more readily stored. While those who produce higher levels of thyroid hormones have less insulin receptors on their fat cells.

My take away from that was it can explain why some discard fat more easily than others, and why some need lower insulin levels than others to achieve success. It also suggests that its worth ensuring our diet supports our thyroid in the long term.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all,
    I’m getting back into proper BSD eating again. No more snacking and no alcohol in January for me. Am aiming for a fast starting after dinner tonight. Hopefully 24 h or even 36 if I can manage.
    On the subject of weighing, I actually do it every day. I can mostly “feel” what the scale is going to say before I step on. For me it’s a way to keep check on where I am and I don’t let the number get me down if it’s not what I hoped for.
    But I have realised that even if/when I reach my target weight I will be internally obese, so need to work on body composition.
    @jgwen, that was very interesting facts about insulin and thyroid. Makes me even more motivated to get into ketosis and stay there as long as possible. Also the info on thyroid makes totally sense to me, I have hypothyroidism since many years and can testify how hard it’s been to maintain my weight, little alone to lose weight. For me it helped to get another medication, so am taking both levityroxin (T4) and liothyronin (T3). This in itself didn’t lead to any weight loss, but it stopped weight gain and once I added on BSD and fasting it has for the first time in years been possible to loose weight.
    I will have a closer look at the website.
    KOKO

• posted by JGwen
    on

Sadly, it appears that today they moved from beta testing the InsulinIQ website and offering access for free, to offering it as a paid service.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Thanks JGwen I’m really looking forward to getting back to this Woe after indulging in carbs and sugar over Christmas.I hadn’t really appreciated how much better I had been feeling before Christmas but now my achey knees and back and
    carpel tunnel are all hurting more than they have in a while after just 10 days of higher carb/sugar diet.I also have frequent heartburn,am bloated and just feel generally grotty.Proof indeed that I need to stick to this Woe for life if I want to feel the best I can.Dawn

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

For JGwen: I saw a piece in yesterday’s features section of the Times (it was Part 2, I missed Part 1) re a book by a German writer, Bas Kast, The Diet Compass. It was just headline points but he apparently references insulin sensitivity vs insulin resistance. Anyway, I thought you might be interested.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi sixturkeys,

I saw both articles as well. – I put a comment in asking if Dr Mosley wasn’t available so they had had to fall back on a translation of a German book instead.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Guys,

I hope my last message on here isn’t taken out of context I should have made it clear it was a tongue in cheek message on the times newspaper asking if some other newspaper had already booked Dr Mosley and they had to have their annual quota of January review of a diet program hence the German book just translated to English promotion.

——————-

I had a couple of books delivered earlier this week. – Overcoming Binge Eating. – I still need to get on top of the cravings sometimes and I am aware there are times when I open a packet and suddenly find that the packet is empty without noticing the hand to mouth action.

The second Fighting Insulin Resistance with Strength Training looks like it will be helpful in providing some answers on body composition. – I speed read it the afternoon it arrived and while he is comparing low calorie diets with exercise and no mention of keto, Time restricted eating or fasting I still think that there is a lot of useful information in the book. So will be going back to it and will share points it raises.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

You’re certainly right JGwen about the plethora of “New year!New you!” articles everywhere at the moment. Reflecting on your initial point here, it does seem “odd” to me that although I have put on 3 kgs since first lockdown, I feel a more definite waist and a podge-free back, and albeit a quick and distanced sighting at Xmas, my son said I looked slimmer…So whilst there is I am sure a correlation for me at the moment between weight on the scales and being bit too flabby in parts, those size 10 jeans I bought last year are not going to wear themselves so will focus on those as a marker…Also am going to look back at Luvtocook posts which from memory had some tasty stuff to try. Hope all well on the farm and no more mechanical issues. When do you get your lambs in?

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi sixturkeys,
    Great news that you and other people are seeing less podge. – When you keep insulin low then your other hormone systems can work for maintenance of a healthy body. The growth hormone which controls if your bones are strong and healthy and controls muscle development is switched off with high insulin levels. Denser bones do weigh more, a lb of muscle takes up less space than a lb of fat. Increasing muscle mass is a very important part of the process of reversing the damage yoyo dieting has done to our metabolism. The reading on the scales does not represent progress in healing your body.

That’s why it is so important to measure progress in ways other than the readings on the scales. Having a target set of clothes, (but remember that our bodies manage to discard inflammation and fat from all sorts of areas before it finally starts work on our hips and waist because thats the area where female bodies in particular are designed to be able to carry extra weight.) is a great idea. So is measuring fitness in whatever form suits you and your interests.

Lambing should start mid march. but I think because of the mild autumn it may be later this year. The Rams don’t start working until we get certain weather signals and that was later this year.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Ah yes, the female body’s blubber magnets…in my case definitely my tum. I must say that I was a bit sceptical (I know, hard to believe…) but I really think this different focus will help me; almost quite liberating. I hasten to say though that each to their own and for many weight on the scales is important and linked to keeping control of medical conditions amongst others, but it is good to have a range of experiences. I always thought lambing was a bit earlier; visions of lambing sheds with a blizzard raging outside, but that may be for hardier breeds. Or just me knowing nothing about livestock farming.

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Hi JGwen, thank you for setting up this thread. I’ve been following this WOE for about a year now (on and off) and have always taken waist and hip measurements each week as well as weighing myself. I’m intrigued to know how it might feel to not look at the scales but to focus on measurements and clothing fit alone. Does anyone have a good way of determining how many cms a healthy body size should be? I focus on the “bellybutton circumference below 80cm” as an incentive to keep strong on this WOE, but would love some more direction.

• posted by Patricia1066
    on

Hi shoegirl, I also want to follow up a measurement strategy to stay healthy.

NHS has advice on waist measurement – how to and what is a healthy measurement. I believe this is based on Caucasian women. There are significant differences between men and women, and ethnicity.
    https://www.nhs.uk/common-health-questions/lifestyle/why-is-my-waist-size-important/

I’m now in healthy bmi but my waist is 99cm. I am taking classes for Pilates again after a year gap. I really don’t enjoy it on zoom though so I will be looking for alternatives.

We can’t expect our bodies to use the fat on our waist first, so we need to measure other less critical areas too. I measured my waist, hips and bust over the past two years. My ankles are significantly slimmer than before as they aren’t as puffy.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Shoegirl,
    Each of us has a different body shape, its controlled by our genetics and our diet as children. So there is no fixed measurement that applies to all of us. When I was in my 20’s I was very ill and when I came out of hospital you could have played a tune on my ribs at which point I was down to a dress size 14. There are others on the forum who are working on discarding to get into size 10 jeans.

I think its really important to think it terms on what is healthy for you. Rather than in terms of inches.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi sixturkeys. I have primitive sheep, Soays, they are the second oldest of the breeds of sheep and would have been what iron age man “farmed”. They are very different from the big, usually white sheep you will see on most farms which are breeds which have been selectively created for commercial reasons.

If left to their own devices rams start to work around the time of the last frosts, sheep give birth 5 months later so that timing tends to work with when there will be fresh grazing for the lambs when they are old enough to graze. But I think there are some breeds which don’t have that natural pattern.

There are three reasons for seeing lambs indoors with a blizzard outside, Hill farms, particularly in countries with longer harsher weather. Occasions in the UK when we have a late snow storm, it can happen in March. Or farms for commercial reasons that use hormone treatments to get the ewes in season earlier in the year to have lambs earlier so they are ready for the Easter market.

• posted by WindyJulz
    on

JGwen, that article link is spot on. Totally resonates and I am acutely aware that my 2020 journey to better health was only possible due to huge efforts in self forgiveness, compassion and trying to persuade myself my body deserves to be taken care of. Reading that though….I’m still not sure i could be terribly compassionate to ‘young julz’….. I dont like that little girl yet…..and thats not just weight orientated, i can now see that how i was spoken to as a child has sculpted some of my….weaknesses / personality defects…. its an interesting thing to contemplate.
    I also wonder if I “set myself up to fail” in many aspects of my life – i generally focus on the future, planning, setting targets i probably wont reach, then beat myself up for not sticking with it or achieving it……..i struggle to live in the now and enjoy each day for what it is, the COVID world has almost ‘helped’ me with this….

Hmmmm…. deep thoughts for a tuesday morning. 🙂 Thank you

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Re the waist measurement NHS advice, I just checked the M&S standard skirt fitting measurements. According to the former, every woman in the UK in a size 16 M&S skirt is 0.5 inches away from risk of very serious health complications and being advised to see their GP….Which strikes me as broadbrush to say the least….Nothing about height/build and actually where “the waist” is. I have fat round my rib cage and the “sporran” between my hip bones, which is what I am hoping to see diminish. JGwen I looked at pics of Soays, as you say very different from cotton woool types, and very striking.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen, thanks for the link, it was a very interesting read and absolutely spot on. I’m sure that it resonates with many – if not all – of us here. So often our inner dialogue and criticism is savage and unforgiving.

Even if those close to us are accepting of us as we are, the media tells us we don’t measure up, we’re not as good as the truly perfect skinny people. As humans, we’re programmed to desire a level of conformity, so not conforming leaves us feeling on the outer, which of course is isolating and miserable.

We allow others much more latitude and compassion than we show ourselves and learning to treat ourselves with the same kindness and respect, can be challenging, but it’s so important that we do.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

JGwen, just a thought, but wondered if you’d be willing to post that link on the new weekly thread? Think it would be a valuable read for the posters there too.

• posted by Olive_1
    on

Hi all NSVers!
    My NSV for the week is that a new pair of snug jeans that I had bought in December now fit perfectly again, so the traces of Christmas indulgence have gone. Yeay!
    I have also reflected on that some of the treats that I felt I had to have/make for Christmas was not really needed. No one else in the family asked for them, and they were not that satisfactory for me either. Will definitely be less next year. Also, for me there is no point in trying to make “healthy” treats as I end up choosing the chocolate every time 🙂 so will just have less but good quality chocolate next time.
    @jgwen, very though provoking article about the little girl inside. I can relate as I have been having lots of self loading during some periods of my life. But I must say I am better now. For some time I was also angry at my parents that didn’t give me better healthy habits when growing up, but also this I have chosen to let go of. They probably did the best they can. What really changed this for me was becoming a mother to two girls, and desperately not wanting to repeat the same pattern for them as I had growing up. They are now 14 years old and we never talk about weight , only health. We are eating proper food made from scratch and lead a quite mobile life – even though we are no exercise freaks.
    I think in the process of how I want them to be treated and think about themselves I also started to think better about myself .

Hope you all have a brilliant day!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi All,
    Olive_1 Well done with the jeans.
    SunnyB I will copy it to the weekly and the bus trip.

I have been reading a book Overcoming Binge Eating. and one of the points they make is that constantly focusing on the scales, weighing on a daily basis and controlling food intake based on that reading, is an eating disorder which can lead to binges because it is unsustainable.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for doing that, JGwen, I’m sure it will be appreciated.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi JGwen, I hope it’s ok to join in on this thread…I still have a weight goal but other things are important too! Including getting to the recommended waist size for my height- I am 3″ away from that now, having lost 10.5″ since starting this diet in June 2020. I have wondered about getting one of those scales that measure your composition too 🤔.

Tulip.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Tulip,

Welcome,

I wouldn’t recommend buying one of the domestic scales which are supposed to measure body composition, they are not very accurate.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Ah right- what would you recommend instead to measure fat, muscle etc? I had some calipers at one time but did not get on well with them!! Apologies if this has already bedn talked about- I have not yet read the whole thread.
    Thanks,
    Tulip1.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

I have no NSV to report unfortunately but am just posting to remind myself of one which I would like to reach!I zipped my padded coat up yesterday and,when I bent down to reach for something,the zip burst open,NOT A GOOD SIGN!I can remember one of my NSVs (either last year or year before,I can’t remember now) was that the same coat fastened up with room to spare so that it my aim in the next six weeks🙂 Dawn X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Dawn, sorry to hear about the coat, but I’m sure having that non-scales victory to aim for, will help you focus. Thanks for pulling this thread to the top of the list again too …. might help others to think about their NSV, rather than focusing solely on the scales.

Offering up an NSV of my own ….. sweet ‘treats’ no longer appeal. Admittedly I still have to keep an eye on the savory ones, like nuts, cheese etc., but at least cake and the like are no longer a draw.

What’s your non-scales victory?

• posted by RedRooster
    on

Bloods still in the healthy range despite forgetting to re order my meds, best part of two days off metphormin! Also recently sold lots of clothes on eBay that are now too big and fitting into lots of clothes I’ve not been able to for a while.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good NSVs there RedRooster … so good that your bloods are stable. You’ll no doubt be purchasing some new clothes with your ebay funds …. exciting!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

My NSVs- well, I have dropped 3 dress sizes since starting the BSD last June and upping my daily exercise- also my resting HR has reduced by at least 10 bpm and my fitbit tells me my cardiac score is currently ‘good- excellent’, I ran 6k this morning (I started c25k in August), and my waistline is reduced by 11″…..oh, and I am not prediabetic by a long shot any more 😁😁

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wow, Tulip that’s an amazing list of NSVs! You must be justifiably really proud of your achievements. I’m sure it will inspire others to keep going, when they aren’t doing so well. Thanks for sharing how far you have come.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Awww thank you Sunny B- I feel like a different person (in a good way!)- and there are all of those other NSVs that are harder to measure- I like what I see in the mirror, my skin is glowing, my hair is glossy, my IBS is a good 80% better, my insides feel ‘clean’, my mood is more stable, I have less fatigue and lethargy and stacks more energy, and my post-covid breathing issues are a good 95% better (and creep back a bit if I eat sugar and white carbs!)….no other ‘diet’ has ever done this for me before, so 100%, if you are struggling, I can think of 10 or more reasons to keep going.
    Love to all xxx

• posted by JGwen
    on

I just wanted to flag up to the group an interesting talk on the facebook group for InsulinIQ. which is the group run by Dr Bikman, For those who do not know Dr Bikman is an expert / researcher etc who is particularly focused on metabolism at a cellular level.

The most recent talk was on what insulin does to metabolic rate in the body. He talked through some research papers on the difference on metabolic rates of high carb v low carb diet. He also talked about the impact insulin has on fat cells willingness to give up their contents. –

A previous talk was on the impact of fasting on growth hormone which is what regulates the development of muscle and stronger bones. – All of these he gives the research papers he is working quoting to answer the questions. Also you can post questions to Insulin IQ team which will then be considered as topics to be covered in future talks.

These talks are only available for a month, so I will not add a link on the take a look at this thread. But wanted to alert people to a source of very helpful information. I think they are also available on the InsulinIQ website as well.

• posted by ADD6605
    on

I still don’t have any NSV to report at the moment but I am starting this woe afresh and my first aim is that the only jeans I can fit (squeeze) into will be looser in a few weeks so I hope my next post on this thread will be to say that I’ve reached that goal! Dawn X

• posted by ADD6605
    on

Looking at my last post on here more than five months ago I can see I was full of enthusiasm to fit more comfortably into some jeans.That hasn’t happened so I’m giving myself a new goal that my gilet which currently doesn’t meet at the front will be zipping up by 1st November.Dawn X

• posted by waveCrest
    on

I’ve always loved riding my bike.
    Started BSD last October when it was getting cold and dark and not really bike weather.
    Jumped on the bike last weekend when it suddenly felt like summer.
    Having lost 30kg, the bike feels like there’s a motor in it and I’m zipping about all over the place. The difference is amazing!

Please log in or register to post a reply.