I thought I would start a new thread on this rather than putting it in the weekly thread so that it could potentially become a resource for people (especially us with emotional eating tendencies) looking for things to reward themselves with that don’t involve food. I’ll start the list with things that I have discovered have helped me to feel rewarded or better about life and hope that others will join in and we can get a list of lots of ideas.
Here it goes:
– A bath with scented epsom salts after a long day
– Planting seeds or starter plants in the pots on my balcony
– Finding a new book (either buying it in a shop or getting it out of the library)
– Reading a good book
– Going swing dancing
– Watching clips of swing dancing from old movies (especially good if I’m too tired to actually go swing dancing). The music is so upbeat and it sticks in my head for hours and then I will dance a bit around the house as I move from room to room. It makes sense if you think about the era and how many of these films were made during the war and were designed to distract people from the misery of life at that time. I can see why they were so popular!
– Going for a walk with some work colleagues at lunch or on breaks
Any other ideas or things you do? I think I still need some more things that I can use at work that will make me feel a bit better about things, so I’ll keep thinking on this too.