No Nonsense November

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Dachsiemad
    on

Wow Butterlover! I have taken a look at masterdiabetes.org and feel totally overwhelmed and confused now. It does seem an excellent website, full of scientifically backed information. I really dont know what to do now. I am so desperate to get my weight and blood sugars down, neither of which seems to be happening at the moment, despite being true to the BSD .

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi melbelle.thanks for your feedback.you are right Im really confused . My recent stroke has led me to question my life style and diet choices. The Dr says loose weight quickly exercise daily.Cut fats and red meat to cut cholesterol. Im searching the internet and reviewing all the books Ive read.the dietician was not helpful “eat medeteranean diet.” And limit fat. Concentrate on low gi not low carb I was shocked at the article in a magazine recommending vegetables and fruits.I have decided to look for a new dietician and wait for my blood tests results .I did well on Bsd in 2017 so stick to what I know. I hope you have a successful weekend

• posted by Verano
    on

Butterlover I remember when I read the Blood Sugar Diet book back in 2016 and followed the guideline lines and did well, lost weight, BG came down and became. medication free.
    Over the last few years there has been so much ‘research’, and we now have Time Restricted Eating, one of two meals a day, keto diets, fasting, explanations of ‘Why we get fat’ etc. etc. etc. . Like you I sometimes feel bombarded with too much information. Research is great and new knowledge is wonderful but, sometimes I think to myself ‘if it ain’t broke don’t fix it’ and maybe we should simplify our life and lifestyle and just go back to basics. If you know something works for you go back to that, don’t let the waters get muddied with too much information.
    For the last week or so I have begun to realise that I’m starting to repeat my old pattern of the yo-yo dieting of years ago. I tried WW, online slimming programs, High Fibre Diet, South Beach, to name but a few, each time looking for the ‘miracle’ , the ‘definitive ‘ answer. I feel with all the ‘new’ information over the last few years that I’m falling back into the same yo-yo pattern looking for the ‘definitive ‘ answer, the perfect solution. In reality I have the perfect solution for me, low carb healthy fat, so why am I still looking? Just need to apply myself to what I know works!
    Good to see so many encouraging results. November will be a successful month with no-nonsense!

• posted by Annach
    on

Great starts for this week. I braved the scales yesterday and have managed to lose most of my October gain so I am almost back to where I was,0.5 kilos extra so I am determined to end this month with a solid loss. Had a few drinks yesterday evening with friends so am craving carbs. 😩😳

• posted by Butterlover
    on

HI Daschiemad.Ive thought about it a lot.here, is where Im at now.Reduce carbs 800cals wiill result in good bgl and weight loss which is the original problem.Asking the body to convert fat to energy is required. To do that we must excercise.The intake of more fat is to feel full.My body has a lot of fat so Im not going to add much more.I will focus on activities that convert the existing build up of fat. If Im hungry.more water and leafy vegies.My health is my priority.I will get tough with myself and get it done.Review in 4weeks. Im open to any feedback or ideas from experienced Bsd ers.

• posted by Mindandmatter
    on

Hi everyone. Since my late teens I have been convinced that sugar was addictive. I cut it out completely – and replaced it with crisps. (I know…) But it wasn’t until I joined Slimming World in my thirties did I realise that there are hidden sugars. I dropped about 38kg in about 6 months – great but not as I cut out all oils +fats. Basically anything calorific. I didn’t eat chocolate at all. It broke me of course, kick started perimenopause, I was constantly angry, and all sorts of other problems. Dr told me to eat every sugar I could find so I did 😀 – and I was still a long way off ‘Goal’. I’ve been wary of any diet since and put back on 12kg. Though still eating health by comparision to others my fatty acids are lacking. Gym 3 times a week, and a sub 1800 calorie day isn’t shifting anything. I’ve had to drop gym for a while, but replacing it with 30ish minutes daily. I’ve suspected my carbs for a while – no sugar is usually fine unless I’ve had a stressful night/day but a stressful day and give me starch! Cheese! Crackers! POTATOES! No potatoes (How can I be out of potatoes!) – fine RICE! Pasta!
    My mum is borderline type 2 diabetes, and my dad has her on 800/1500 days. (Amusingly she doesn’t know what she’s following – and looking at everything here dad’s missing a few things.)

Wary though I am, I can see all the science here. My first fast day will start tomorrow. I’ll be taking each day at a time. I know it’s going to be hard. Today I’m trying to build up a recipe list based on store cupboard basics that I can afford and a food plan around a family that hates fish. Lots of people here seem to like Myfitnesspal as means of keeping track so I’m finding my way around there too.
    Sigh. Reading this I’m looking at an up hill struggle. Not exactly the positive mindset I had when I sat down to type!
    First aim is to get the BMI back under 30 and weight down by 6kg. Christmas isn’t allowed to interfere 🙂

• posted by pcoventry
    on

Hi Guys! We’ve not been on here for a bout a year – My diabetes is back but that’s because I lost focus after .a few family deaths – but today I had a home made cheeseburger and my levels shot up to 24.5. I just drank water for 2 hours and now I am down to 12.5.

I’ve been eating well otherwise. I always have Cauliflower Rice instead of pasta or potatoes – my fav winter comfort dish is some quorn chicken with cauliflower rice and cabbage/Brocoli smothered in light dressing and throw in 2 boiled eggs. Whole thing is 21 carbs/300 calories and 200G protein – yummy! 😉

After seeing footage of a local slaughterhouse near me I have also decided to stop eating meat – This may or may not help me with the BSD but I am getting to the point in life where eating a steak is getting hard. So far i’ve had nothing that’s not been tasty and I do still have dairy. But I am starting to creep on the weight so I/we are going back to the diet. My old doctor who told me he was stunned I had lost all this weight and reversed my type 2 and couldn’t believe no Metformin has passed my lips died of a heart attack last year. My new doctor is younger than me and she is very very for this diet – so we’ve discussed it and for the past 9 months I have not taken from the NHS in terms of drugs at all. My eyesight is good but I get some pains in my feet from time to time. I also just today realised my eyes are the only thing I get tested every year, I need to speak to the new GP and change that.

Anyway – I hope you are all well. Looking forward to getting the recipe book out as some of the stuff in yummy. Chicken (quorn) satay with C rice is on the hob right now 🙂

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

Dear oh dear. For 7 days i ate strictly BSD and drank the water. On the 8th day i got on the scales expecting a significant loss and was disappointed to see i was just 1lb down. I went on to have one of those rubbish days when everything goes wrong,, and i accepted two pieces of cake from a friend and binged on chocolate! So now I’m into week two, back to BSD. Maybe I should just be content with 1 lb. and not be so impatient. And I will be more assiduous in my carb and calorie counting. Did people see a tv programme in the week with four people who wanted to lose 14lbs in 4 weeks? They were all put on different diets and one of them was Fast 800. Surprisingly all four hit their target. Good luck to everyone this week.

• posted by MagicalMe
    on

Oh hugs crazy quilter. Some days are just like that.
    Binge days are ok, just get back on the wagon.
    I have no free to air at the moment. Our antennae connection rusted! On the list of things to fix.

• posted by Au secours
    on

Every day has been a no nonsense day so there should be another discard on Friday. I can see myself on Christmas Day wearing a lovely dress without the usual bumps!! I hope everyone else is feeling as motivated and determined as I am to have a successful November, and then on to December. Have a great lc day.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Crazy quilter I had a bit of a binge weekend too, but a better Monday. I’m in the middle of changing jobs, same company but different roles, and I think the stress and nerves finally hit me on the weekend! Today was better though – cheese and seeds with nuts for morning tea and then beef and lentil bolognaise with zucchini and cauliflower rice for dinner. I didn’t have breakfast as didn’t feel like eating, then skipped lunch but had an early dinner instead.
    I’ve had so many off plan binges but I think the key is to get back on track again as soon as possible afterwards,
    And not be put off by temporary gains.
    Hope this week is better for both of us 🙂

• posted by Crosie
    on

Well done everyone on staying committed to No Nonsense November. We’ve still got 3 weeks so still time for discard. I’m staying steady and still keeping that victorious 1lb off. I’ve had some tough times this week and caved into the amazing banana bread eith dark chocolate and cinnamon my 12yr old made! Goal is to have discarded 2 more by end of the month! So have to focus on NO NONSENSE!
    Thanks Keith for the celery soup recipe its getting made this week together with a broccoli and stilton ( not sure about the recipe I might have to make some adjustments and advice if it all goes pear shape).
    Everyone’s posts are very motivational even though I dont post very often myself.
    Best of luck to everyone for the rest of November
    Crosie x

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Crosie – broccoli and Stilton soup is delicious 🙂 I was skeptical as although I love cheese I could never bring myself to eat blue cheese – but it tastes amazing in this soup, I would make it again now except we are experiencing catastrophic bushfire conditions here in NSW and the weather tomorrow is hot and windy and 36 degrees, so it will be salad for me!

• posted by Busybee
    on

Well, I have to confess that my November so far has been full of nonsense! After staying on course for four months and losing over a stone, I fell into the abyss of carbs, cabs and more carbs. Talk about “Pride comes before a fall)!
    I finally pulled myself together on Saturday when I realised we go away to see our son and his family in six weeks and I have some nice new clothes to wear. Also my innards have been complaining and my gut bacteria have been demanding more and more, so this is it!,
    The carbs are banished, the alcohol put to the back of the cupboard and the butter and cream are ready in the fridge.
    The egg fast worked well for me so after a week back on the wagon, I intend to start another cycle next Monday.
    New start yet again.
    X B

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Busybee – they reckon confession is good for the soul – well done you for stopping the breakout as quickly as you did. I bought a lovely green coat from a second-hand shop when I was down in London recently. It’s just a tiny bit tight – I know, I know – but it’s part of my incentive to stay on track for Christmas. Six weeks is a nice and do-able amount of time for us to keep focused.
    Au secours – one of my favourite things about having lost a lot of weight on BSD is the real pleasure I now get in wearing a nice dress on Christmas Day – that’s a great vision and your motivation is infectious!
    Crosie and SueBlue – Yes, soups are definitely one of my favourite lunches at this time of the year and I particularly like broccoli and stilton. Also, I must have absorbed some of the chat on here as when I was shopping on Saturday I picked up a head of celery. I actually can’t stand celery but I had a vague memory of having celery soup once and quite enjoying it so, in the spirit of my aim to extend my diet, Keith, I’m going to try your recipe too. No pressure.
    SueBlue – hope the job change goes smoothly and everyone stays safe in NSW.
    Crazyquilter – hope the last couple of days have been smoother for you. Are you in the UK? I didn’t see the TV programme but I like that sort of thing so I will try to find it. Btw, I love your name.
    Daschiemad – I really empathise with you – when I was first diagnosed Type II I got all sorts of misinformation – mine was from the NHS (to be fair everything else was good just not the dietary advice). Doing the BSD including watching the carbs really does work. Hope things are beginning to work and if it’s not, please do shout out.
    So, yesterday I went online and booked my sessions at the Leisure Centre – this morning I had an exercise class, Tues and Thurs I’ll be in the gym, and Sunday morning I’m going back to Pilates. I’ve missed a few weeks now so I’ll keep with this old routine up until Christmas and then think about what to do next in early January.
    Hope everyone else is going well today.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Busybee – we seem to be living parallel lives at the moment! I’m finding it really hard to stay on track and am putting up with far too much nonsense carb-wise. My weight is fluctuating and I feel bloated and sluggish. The next few days I’m visiting my mother but will also have some precious time to myself after a very busy few days. So I’m going to take the Fast 800 book to read again and get re-inspired. I am still hoping to get down to 140lb by the end of November but am now going to have to be v-e-r-y disciplined to achieve that.

It was interesting reading how others are feeling about too much information / too many diets / conflicting advice etc. It can all get too much. All I know is that the BSD has worked really well for me whenever I’ve stuck to it properly: the problem is I just get sloppy then start slipping into bad habits without realising it. So I need to yet again dust myself off and get on with it!! I find it really helps to record absolutely everything that I eat and drink because it’s so was to think you’re sticking to plan then realise you’re doing a bit of sabotage along the way without really thinking about it.

Anyway, have a great week everyone and here’s hoping for some discards by Friday!

• posted by Mindandmatter
    on

Goodness, you guys have so many great ideas. It’s also reassuring to read Dreamscometrue’s post.
    I managed to come in under 800 cals and 70 carb on Sunday, and the annoying headache kicked in late in the afternoon. My second day I balanced things a bit better and have finished closer to 800 cals with 62 carbs. I’m using olive oil not butter at the mo and concerned that I might be undercutting fats, I’m finding it hard to break free of the “fat is bad for you” mentality. MyFitnesspal is really helpful for simple tracking and I’m feeling an awful lot more positive about this now!

• posted by Izzy
    on

hi, just dropping in to say hello and join in 🙂
    I did BSD a few years ago and did well, but I wandered off.
    I’m now trying to reclaim my life and health as I’m going through a marriage breakup since early this year.
    As I’m beginning to feel better I thought now was as good a time as any to start to move my weight along healthily.
    I only re-started yesterday, so will see how things go.
    Nice to meet you all 🙂

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi Izzy and welcome. Sorry you’ve had a tough year and I hope that we can be a source of support and strength. Good luck with your BSD re-start and do keep posting so we know how you’re doing.The thing I love about BSD is that it is very forgiving: I have stalled and resumed many times and always find it’s still effective if I will only stick to the basics! There’s something in my psyche that makes me think once I have “failed” (for want of a better word and I can’t think of one right now) then that’s it, I will now put on tons of weight and be worse than when I started. But with BSD you can soon start to reverse any collateral damage and get back on track again. It’s all under your control.

Mindandmatter sounds like you are doing well. Stay positive and I hope the headaches pass soon.

So it’s only Tuesday – let’s all have a really good no-nonsense rest of the week! X

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone . After my confusion last week.Ive got my mind focused and Im eating more or less on plan.Today focus on extra water its 36 degrees outside so definitely need hydrating .Its too hot to exercise. So Im planning to do a couple of laps of the shopping center this afternoon.Since I have to go out to buy food. I will build in some extra steps.have good day

• posted by MagicalMe
    on

Welcome Izzy,
    Great plan Butterlover. I wish I’d read it earlier. I’m feeling guilty for not taking the dog for a walk this afternoon. Or morning. I used the smoky Air as an excuse. Truth is I just didn’t make the effort. I lost weight over the week but need to stay focussed. I can feel myself staying to make excuses and allowances. ie letting my OH dress the salad with higher sugar dressing. Not being quite as careful with portion sizes, and being lazy about exercise. No nonsense required and a focus refreshed. I’ve had great results so far. Tomorrow is another day. I will exercise after work before I collect munchkins.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Butterlover – wow, that’s hot! But good to hear you’re feeling clearer about things. I forgot to mention in my last post I had a look at the Masteringdiabetes.org website. It was quite odd. It looked good (i.e. the website looked professional) and a diet based on wholefoods sounds good for a lot of people, but I know for me as a Type II diabetic some of the food they were suggesting would be really bad. I watched one man with T2 diabetes talking about eating potatoes, mangoes, bananas, etc) all foods that would have my blood sugars spiralling all over the place. Very puzzling. Like MelBelle, I like lowcarbdownunder

Izzy – hope day 3 is going well – I lost almost 6 stone in 2016, managed to keep it off for 2 years but then gradually put 2 stone back on in 2018 (I’ve just got back down to my goal weight again). Like DCT, the key for me was going back to basics. Because you’ve done it before you’ve got all the skills you need – and you know how great you’ll feel when you’re on this woe.

DCT – I agree – It’s funny but one of the things that is likely to trip me up isn’t having to eat certain foods and not others (being T2 makes that bit simpler – I have to do it) but it’s breaking all the habits/patterns of thinking from the years of yo-yo dieting that can be tricky to shake off. I’ve just recently concluded that that’s part of the long game for me.

Mindandmatter – my cholesterol levels and ratios are actually better now than when I first started the BSD, even though I now eat full fat yoghurt, butter, cream, avocados as well as olive oil, etc. (My fatty liver also disappeared! as well as my Type II going into remission). It’s definitely an eye opener.

So, my exercise stuff is going to plan this week and I’ve managed my 10k steps every day – even in the pouring rain. Haven’t done many yet today but will be walking to Morrisons later – ( I got up this morning planning to make my celery soup only to find my husband’s used most of it – 1 stick left!). Thawed green soup (Verano’s recipe) for lunch.

Hope everyone has a good rest of the week.
    Jennie xx

Edited: Magicalme – that’s me, too. It’s so easy to do that. Some days I have to almost throw myself out of the door to go for my walk – and all the time I’m getting ready I’m saying – “Don’t want to, no, I won’t… .. etc” (I’m a very mature over 60 yr old!)
    When I first did BSD there was a woman called Esnecca who posted (she returned briefly recently). Her motto was Not One Step Backward and reading her posts has always helped – might be worth giving them a read.xx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Just been reading through my last post and thought I’d clarify something. When I said eating certain foods and not others is simple for me, I should have added that’s now – 3 years on from starting. It definitely wasn’t like that initially! xx

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hi everyone,
    Like a few other Aussie posters, I’m in a bushfire high risk zone, but no fires near me at present. On the catastrophic fire danger day, I took my kids to a large local shopping centre and worked on my laptop in the food court, sent the 4 kids off to have sushi and an ice cream. I ate one of the ice creams when one kid was having a melt down because he wanted Frosty Fruits and his big sister decided they were having Cookies and Cream (4-pack). It wasn’t the right day to tell him to get over it, as the younger two were emotional already from the process of putting all their favourite items in the car.
    All this (that is, ice cream plus chocolate plus Tim Tams plus the mozzarella with lavosh that I bought to snack on!) resulted in being thoroughly kicked out of ketosis. In the morning I’d gained about 1.5 kgs over the previous week and so I finally took the measure I’ve been building towards since reading the Fast 800 book, seeing Eat Fast and Live Longer, reading The Obesity Code. I started (water only) fasting from around 8pm on Tuesday. It’s now 6am on Thursday. I’ve read that fasting helps reset cravings and body set weight. I’m looking to keep it up today. Watch this space. I exercised as normal yesterday. This morning I weighed myself and I’ve lost all the carb and water weight. I think I’m back in ketosis (@jgwen the pee sticks aren’t showing anything – you are so right – hoping my breathalyser arrives today!)
    @jennie10 happy to meet another LowCarbDownUnder fan!
    @butterlover – I’ve had the same thing with scales getting me down and then having a binge. It’s great that this plan lends itself to getting back to it rather than giving up altogether. Do you have some tight pants you try on? Maybe you lost inches not pounds?

• posted by Jennie10
    on

MelBelle – I’ve just been watching another news report on the bush fires over in Australia – best wishes to all in those fire risk areas. Good going on your fast. xx

• posted by LouiseKangooroo
    on

@melbelle sorry to hear that the fires aren’t far from you… it’s scary and reminds me of black Saturday 😓
    We were discussing the impact of climate change and what we could do at an individual/family level the other day. Hubby and I made the pledge to become vegetarian. Apparently it’s a very effective way to reduce ones carbon footprint. Hubby actually transitioning to a plant based diet and I think I will get there too.
    Anyway please stay safe and massive hugs to you, your family and your community.

On a totally more mondaine note Im very happy to see a fellow Aussie faster 🤗
    I find it simple and effective and it has an amazing positive impact on my skin. It does reset – for lack of a better word – and cut back any carbs craving, also make the bloating go away quickly. I’m also currently water fasting so waving at you from Melbourne 👋

• posted by MelBelle
    on

That’s so encouraging, @LouiseK! Glad to know you’re water fasting too.

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Another Aussie faster here too, in Melbourne so hi Louisekangaroo. Finding the week is going well, focused on TRE, managing about 9 & 15 at the moment, hopefully see another little bit off the scales on Saturday. Love & hope to all in bushfire areas!

• posted by MelBelle
    on

I missed your message before @jennie10. Thank you! Our crews are jumping on any fires that start up as quick as they can and so far nothing has got established in our area.

@shoegirl – I’m looking forward to seeing what sort of difference this fast will make. Admittedly I started from a full carb load, so the first 24 hours was just glycogen stores. I’ve (almost – dinner time now) made it through day 2 of no eating at all. Previous longest fast was OMAD. So I’m now at nearly 48 hours, and planning to go through to breakfast tomorrow. Or lunch if I feel alright. I read (I think in Dr Boz/Annette Bosworth’s book) that the first 48 hours are the hardest, so I’m wondering if I’ll wake up in the morning and not feel fussed about whether I have breakfast or not. I’m looking forward to having roast duck in Chinatown for lunch.

on

@shoegirl where are you in Melbourne? I’m inner north. I love the city, so many options for eating out and healthy. Quite a few low carbs places actually, have you tried any?
    I’ve been on this WOE for 5 months already. I hit goal at the end of September, back to the 61kg I was when I was 20yo 🤪 although now I’m 38 and have several small children lol
    Now that I’m in maintenance I have stopped counting calories and focus on satiety. I aim to stay under 20gr carbs most days and do 4 days of TRE – usually 16-8 – and 1,2 or 3 days of extended fasting, the days I’m at work, depending on my social life.
    I love love love this lifestyle. Hooray for low carbs high fat, it gave me my energy and able body back 🙌

@melbelle I just stopped at 54hours. I was planning to stop at dinner tomorrow but life showed up in the forms of friends and picnic in the park so I broke the fast early. That’s the thing I like the most about fasting, it’s so flexible! I can stop whenever and pick it up again after that meal, no biggie.
    I personally haven’t found the first 2 days hardest so your millage may vary. Extremely important to keep your salt intake up and from the very first day too 👍

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Thanks @LouiseK! I’ve got through around 56 hours now. I did a pee stick ketone test and it was the darkest I’ve ever seen it. Really dark pink. I’ll break the fast either at breakfast or lunch. Just seeing how I go now. I still feel fine… maybe felt just a little lightheaded yesterday in the midst of intense exercise. More salt needed perhaps. I’ve taken a few pink rock salt grains at regular intervals. I had fairly broken sleep, woke up three times I think. But still feel pretty good. Oh and the best part is, I’ve got back under my original goal weight (my weight when I was fit, strong and 20 too – I have four kids and I am 40, and have been getting back to that level of fit and strong). Still a couple of extra inches around the waist. My sister in law who is a physio has given me some exercises to do to help with that.

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

Hello everyone, i’m still here, hanging on by my fingertips. Tomorrow is the start of another week for me. I will plan my meals for the next few days, and i will record exactly what i eat and drink each day. My normal exercise is hillwalking with a local group once a week and a weekly FitSteps class (aerobics using dance steps). However, recently walks have been cancelled because the relentless rain has caused damage to paths so I’ve not been as active as usual. I live in Devon, South West England, close to superb walking country so there’s no excuse. Tomorrow I will start my day with greek yoghurt and seeds; I need to eat my main meal in the middle of the day and will be cooking for a friend. I will rummage in the freezer and see what i can find which suits both me and him. And i will drink TWO LITRES of water! Well done those of you who are keeping to plan and losing steadily – you’re all stars.

• posted by Au secours
    on

I was so happy this morning when I stepped on the scales and saw 123 lbs. I had successfully discarded the one pound I was aiming to discard. My aim is to achieve a loss of one pound every week till Christmas. Being on this forum is certainly helping me as I know that if I am tempted by more carbs than my daily allowance I will not have a discard to report on here. I hope everyone else has success too. Have a great lc day,. 😊

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi everyone thanks for the welcomes, I’ve had an up and down week but still trying to get on top, which I know I will. I’d forgotten about drinking a lot but I’m getting there.

I’ve lost 2lbs according to my scales 🙂

I’ve scanned the messages, I’ll come in more often to try to keep up. Hope everyone near the fires stays safe

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone
    Au secours – well done on the discard – sounds like everything is going to plan and you’re going great! I agree, it really helps me keep going when I know l’ll be reporting in on here.
    Crazyquilter – love Devon, – I’ve always struggled with the water intake, and often just forget to do it. I’m drinking too much tea and coffee with milk at the minute, so I’m going to go with you and aim for 2 litres of water a day. I’m just about to plan my menu for next week – so I’ll add the water ‘challenge’ into this in big letters!
    The last couple of weeks I’ve lost 1lb, gained 2lb, lost 2lb but essentially I’m at my initial goal weight (9st). But one of my November goals is to cook and eat a wider variety of food, which means also trying out new recipes. I’ve not done too bad this week, I’ve tried out a few new dishes, but I seemed to end up eating a lot of meat. So, my plan for next is to get a good balance of food across the week and try out more vegetable-based meals.
    My exercise goal is getting there. I’ve done 10k steps every day so far except yesterday(8,236) and have gone to each of my exercise classes/gym sessions so far. Pilates on Sunday. I’m still anxious about maintaining any exercise routine long-term but, after a lot of disruptions this year, I’m happy to have got back into a routine. Early days.
    Louise and MelBelle – great to hear you’re both doing so well.
    Izzy – that’s a great start – oh, and I read your positive thread post- I really admire you being able to stand up and read those poems – well done that woman. The spoken word event sounds great.

Hope everyone else has a good weekend.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Au secours
    on

Thanks Jennie for your kind comment. There is no doubt about it. Being on this forum is definitely a big help in keeping to plan and not indulging in extra carbs. If I think of having an extra tangerine I stop myself by saying no nonsense, and it has worked.
    I wish you luck with your plan for a balance of food. Have a good weekend and week.

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Congratulations to this weeks “losers”. Some great commitment being shown during No Nonsense November.
    My weigh in was disappointing this morning – 1lb on! I’ll dust myself down and keep on plodding. I expected a loss this morning too! My weigh loss journey has always had its ups and downs! I won’t ever give up. I can’t because if I don’t follow BSD I will be back to where I was and I won’t let that happen.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by keithm
    on

Hi everyone, great to keep reading your posts. I was mega surprised this morning to weigh in at 13st 4 lbs, a 5lb drop on the week. Have now lost exactly one stone on this bash. I thought this week would be much slower. I think I will have a few glasses of wine tonight to celebrate. I know I shouldnt but I feel i am ahead of where I want to be, so even if I risk going backwards for a few days, so what. I’m now more confident than ever that I can lose another half a stone and get down to my best weight from 2 years or so ago. I’m also gonna have a day off from the gym tomorrow. I have done 16 days on the trot; often doing 4-5 classes a day and I think it has caught up with me. Legs felt so tired today as I started a spinning class. Nose back to the grind on all fronts from Sunday. Good luck everyone with your goals.

• posted by Annach
    on

Slight gain this week. Had a visitor and then TOTM. I should be able to manage a much better week starting tmrw. Congratulations to all you losers and keep trying to all of us struggling

• posted by Julie l
    on

Hi can I join?? Only just seen the forum but have been on the diet 10 days. Starting weight 12 stone 5, goal for wedding next July 10 stone 4. So far 8-9 lbs off so really pleased. Wedding dress in wardrobe and not fitting is perfect motivation 😀. Eat about 900 cals a day but still seems to work.
    I see a lot of people have been on here a while. So any advice about which tends to be the hardest and easiest weeks?

on

Hi @julie-l and welcome!! Congrats on completing your first 10 days.
    That’s the hardest bit I reckon as your body adapts to go with way less carbs and to fuel from fat.
    Personally the other hurdle I met was around week 3-4 when the loss stalled. It made me pretty angry haha
    I kept pushing though and the weight has dropped off me later. It’s been 5 months and now it’s my routine, I don’t think of it as a diet, it’s just my new way of eating and will be forever

• posted by Julie l
    on

Thanks Louise, that sounds hopeful. This seems the equivalent of a weight loss group you would go to, encouraging each other to reach goals.
    I hope we carry on during December- that may be a tough one. January will be fine as you’re surrounded by healthy eating messages everywhere

• posted by MelBelle
    on

Hi @julie-l, I think lots of people who weigh daily (including me!) have felt awful when the scales don’t show anything or show an increase. Especially for women, you just need to keep going. Don’t binge when you’re discouraged. Distract yourself or don’t weigh. The week before my period is tough. And the scales will probably show an increase then if not before. Go by measurements or your dress, not the scales. Sometimes after a stall you can have a big discard a week later (the whoosh effect!). Have salt if you feel dizzy or get a headache (keto flu).

• posted by Julie l
    on

Oh that’s good timing. I was feeling dizzy this afternoon.
    My waist was 35in and 1in has already gone
    How much did you lose?

on

Im a daily weighter, same time every day. Basically as soon as I get up and after a wee
    Thé app happy scale is great if you do daily weigh in as it shows you the trend. 👍

• posted by foodislife
    on

Hi all, I’m new here! Only on Day 5 but going well! Can I check if there is a maximum grams of food groups that I should be eating? The book reiterates sticking to 800kcals for at least two weeks, but no mention of maximum carbs/fats ratio? Any ideas?

on

Yes macros are important. Usually the rule is :
    Carbs – don’t go over 20-50gr per day, although you could experiment and chose a higher limit.
    Protein – push yourself to get to it every day, between 0.6 to 1gr of proteins per kg of goal weight. Don’t go over that amount though.
    Fats – add fat until you are full.
    Hope it helps.

on

On fluctuation of weight around TTOM, I use to put on 2kg worth of water in the week leading to it. Since I’ve transitioned to LCHF I don’t get that anymore, my weight stays stable. Weird!

• posted by MelBelle
    on

@LouiseK, I stopped getting sore breasts, but still get some extra water weight.

@julie, I started at 33 inches in July and am now down to 27.

@foodislife – I’m very short and I didn’t get nearly as good results as others have from 800 cal without watching macros. I got better results when I started to watch carbs as well and keep them very low (under 25g as far as possible), plus time restricted eating. Some of the recipes in the book have too much carb for someone my size. I went from 12 hour to 14 to 16. I’ve hit my goal weight (although now I know weight is not nearly so important as your measurements and body composition) and right now am fluctuating around it. I haven’t hit my goal waist line yet. Another inch to go. I haven’t worked out how much fat I should be eating yet, but I have worked out that I need it to feel full. I tried to do this diet a bit low fat to begin with, not realising that I needed fat to feel full. That was a big mistake.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I was just saying on the weekly thread that around the 15th of each month I gain weight for no reason only to lose it a few days later. It is a danger point for me as I could just give in with the diet but knowing my own body I know it is part of my monthly cycle. Even though I am 66 and not had a period for 20 odd years it still affects me. Oh what we women have to put up with.

Please log in or register to post a reply.