No Nonsense November

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Hi Susie. Not sure where you need to get to for your op in Feb. But, I can say, you are not “starving”. Look up JGwen’s posts on the forum; she explains very well the gut bacteria which come to dominate and crave carbs. It has been eye-opening for me how we see “hunger”. Make sure you drink lots of water. I am a very weak-willed person, but this has overall worked for me, tho the home stretch is challenging. There are many people who are genuinely starving and hungry. We are just over-fed. I do sympathise, but we need to recognise that! I am one of them! All on here will support you.

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

I ‘d like to join you please – No Nonsense November is just what I need. I lost weight in 2017 using BSD but a year later i completely lost the plot so that I’m now at my heaviest and I’m bursting out of my clothes. My ‘excuse’ is that i live alone and so have lots of opportunity to binge eat – pizza, chocolate, cakes. A recent GP check up brought me down to earth with a BMI measurement of 30. Enough is enough! Past experience is that i lose weight slowly, so i don’t know what i can expect in November, but I’ve started and with your help I will continue.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi Crazyquilter, a warm welcome from another slow loser here 🙂 I also lost in 2017, it took me the best part of a year to lose 12kg. But slow and steady wins the race! It’s just that we need to keep on after losing – I’m not at my heaviest but am still a good 6kg more than I was at the end of 2017.
    There’s plenty of like minded souls on here and I’m sure that together we will have success in No Nonsense November 🙂

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi also to Susie – just wanted to say that for me the worst hunger was in the first 3 days, it definitely got easier after that. I used to find a few almonds (say 3 or 4), chewed slowly, would take the edge off my hunger, also a cup of coffee or vegetable soup helped.
    I still go off plan (quite regularly unfortunately!), but the important thing is to get back on plan again quickly, so that any temporary gains can be reversed.
    Good luck!

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Suzie, to expand on 6turkeys comment. –
    There are two reasons you are hungry at present.

When you have high insulin levels your body can not access your fat stores, so instead it is trying to urge you eat. – As your insulin levels drop you will be able to access all the food that you previously ate and have stored as reserves.

Many people do not realise that the “bad” gut bacteria that digest carbs have the ability to signal to our brains. So your feeling of starving is actually the bacteria who need you to eat carbs trying to get you to feed them. – If you stay low carb for a while their numbers will reduce (because you are starving them) so the urge to eat will fade. – Sadly they also multiply rapidly, so if you fall off the wagon they will be back to trying to drive you to feed them again when you step back on the wagon.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi All.I have not made any progress for a couple of days.After i rejected the advice from the dietician, I had a pang of regret maybe I should try his advice. So I bought 3 sour dough with seeds rolls sliced them and put them in the freezer. allocated half a roll per day.dipped in olive oil.as a snack I have no contro.l they are gone on 2 days not 6 and I changed to butter not oil. I definitely woke up my cravings.I did try to increase fibre with a vegetarian curry made of lentils chick peas tomatoes and carrots zuchini with cauli rice.I havent a clue what the macros are but it was tasty and filling and I have 4 serves in the freezer.So not experimenting any more this month back to no “nonsense “.To end on a positive note I started at the rehab gym yestetday and really enjoyed it and the Dr has given me the Ok to start driving again.wishing you all a positive day.

• posted by Au secours
    on

Thanks Artful Owl for your comment. Unfortunately my husband will not follow this WOE. Up until 10 years ago he was very slim and could eat whatever he liked and remained slim, but now he looks pregnant because he has a very sweet tooth and refuses to stop eating all his sugary treats. My cupboards are full of biscuits, cakes, etc which 95 per cent of the time I can resist, but now and then I have succumbed to a digestive biscuit, but that will not happen again. I have spent too many years regretting indulging but now my brain is in the no nonsense November frame of mind, I know I can do this and I will do it.
    Jeans which were a bit difficult to zip up last week are a lot easier already, so onward and downward I will go until I am satisfied with how I look and feel in all my winter clothes. I have black and navy jeans which are the same style, size, and brand, bought at the same time, but the black ones will not zip up, so I am aiming for them to fit by 1st December. Have a great lc no nonsense day everyone – I know I will. 😊

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

I went to dinner with a friend last night, had a lovely mixed veg curry with a side of spinach sautéed in garlic, chilli and coconut. Had a poppodom but no rice or bread! I love poppodoms and was pleased to find out they aren’t too high in carbs so that was my main indulgence of the evening.
    Scales told me this morning I’m almost another pound up. I did feel a bit disheartened and for the first time in a while, craved something sweet and carby. There was some wandering around the supermarket before work, staring at cakes. But then I told myself it’s ok to feel down and grabbed some avocado to have with lunch instead. Also got the gym later (for the first time in two weeks!) so maybe that will be a mood boost.
    Have a great no nonsense day everyone!

• posted by keithm
    on

Great to read everyone’s posts. The post about toast was hilarious and resonated with me a lot. I love bread and butter! Also the post about OH not liking this WOE etc. My wife sort of does and doesnt. She joins me on the diet but then buys biscuits and chocs and, having not read the book, thinks it must be OK to have the odd one, and I must be mad for suggesting that a couple of biscuits are a big no no. So far, this time, thankfully no biscuits yet but if they come I need to dig deep not to open that cupboard.

I am finding it harder this time than last or at least it feels that way. I have given into temptation once over the weekend when I was feeling very hungry. BUt i went all day today on track. The most helpful posts for me were by sixturkeys and JGwen on why we feel hungry. Appreciating the obvious fact that we are all different etc, roughly how long will it take for the insulin to be able to access the fat and for the pangs to fade. I have drunk over 4 litres of water each day. Is that too much? I do sweat a lot at the gym though so I am losing a lot of fluid!! I made a huge batch of celery soup today – just onion, chicken stock and celery. Almost 0 calories but very filling so when a hunger pang hits, I just have a small bowl of that. Any other ideas from anyone else in addition to drink water/tea etc

• posted by MagicalMe
    on

Strong curves you have made some great decisions there! Great choices, keep it up!

I don’t know that I have any ideas Keith, it sounds like you’re keeping your fluids up.

I’m recording everything religiously, because that works for me. I’m also in a quiet low stress time, which helps. I hummed and ha-ed about standing on the scales (scared I was imagining weight loss where none had really happened) and was delighted to discover I am down 2.5kg. My fasting sugars are lower today too. This is the first time I’ve seen a significant change in those. So I’m mentally hugging myself and dancing about the house this morning. And am confident I’m not hungry, just breaking old habits a day at a time, sometimes even a meal at a time.

• posted by Elky
    on

Hi everyone, just dropping by, sounds like everyone’s off to a pretty No Nonsense start to the month, which is great news!

Keithm, I think generally people find that they start to notice the hunger pangs fading after 3 or 4 days of low carbs. But, as you say, everyone is different and I think some of us find it might be a week or so. I’m sorry that’s not very helpful, but it’s such an individual thing, it depends on how insulin resistant we are. Some of us, sadly, are very resistant (like me). I don’t think 4 litres of water is too much, I think that’s an individual thing too and will depend on a range of things including activity, body size and climate (or spending lots of time in air conditioning). But, do make sure you’re keeping your salt levels up. Apologies if I’m going over old ground, but it’s something it’s easy to overlook because we’ve spent years being told salt is bad for us, and on this WOE it’s very important. If you drink lots of water, then you will need correspondingly more salt. (You could add it to your celery soup or just pop a pinch of salt on your tongue. Some people swear by drinking salty water, but I can’t come at that.) In terms of other things to stave off hunger, have you tried bone broth? Many people here find it helpful. I think you said you’re at the gym a lot, and more focussed on low carb than on strictly 800 calories? If that’s the case, maybe you could have a small protein or fat snack? Maybe something like a hard-boiled egg? Or a piece of cheese? That might help keep the wolf from the door until dinner?

Hope this helps, Elky

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi keithm,

We are all different on how insulin resistant we are and the make up of our gut bacteria so the time scales are different for each of us. – There are however things we can do to speed up the process.

There is also research that coconut contains acids which are very good at killing off the “bad” gut bacteria. – Capric acid capsules (the key ingredient in coconut) rapidly helps to kill bad gut bacteria, and when I fall off the wagon that is a trick I used to use at the start to help me get back on the wagon. – Its also a good cure of problems when traveling in India.

• posted by keithm
    on

MOrning all
    Magicalme, well done on your progress. 2.5kg discarded is magic! I’ve decided to just weigh in on Fridays so will update group then

Elky – thanks for your help. I think I will take a protein snack to the gym. I don’t have anything for breakfast, I go to the gym and do 3-4 classes so by the time I get home I am often so hungry I eat more than maybe I need. On the salt front, I didn’t know that. I do use a lot of salt in my food anyway, but I will add sugar to the snack.Salt on tongue is something I love, so no problem there!!

I am going food shopping later so will look out for capric acid tablets, thank you JGwen – will give it a go – and didn’t know about that either. JUst read up on it a bit more – could I just add coconut oil (which I already have) in my soup?

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Hi everyone – middle of week 1 already! Great to read all the posts. Annach I’d somehow missed yours – welcome and how are you doing?

Keith my thoughts are that perhaps you need to eat before you go to the gym as you are doing so much there? Perhaps a light breakfast to give you some energy then you won’t be as ravenous when you get back and vulnerable to overeating? The original BSD is based around three small meals a day so even though many people then start experimenting with various kinds of Time Restricted Eating, maybe you need to go back to the basic three meals?

JGwen thanks for the coconut tip – I had not come across that before and will look out for those tablets too. I have also recently started using coconut oil for cooking.

Susie how are you getting on? Just to say that in my very early days I built in small snacks between meals to help me through. Just for the first couple of weeks and I don’t want to lead anyone astray here. But at the time I was working in a school and mid-morning break was always a big challenge as there would be cakes and biscuits in the staff room. So I’d bring in a little box of hummus and either carrot or celery sticks to eat before I went up there, just to stop me caving in. Also just before going home I’d have a few almonds because otherwise if I went home hungry it would be straight into the wine and crisps. I know this is a bit off plan but it worked for me. After a couple of weeks I was quite able to ditch those snacks and manage fine on three small meals a day without hankering after carbs in between. I did that for a while then my default for ages was TRE where I’d skip breakfast and just have a small lunch around 1 and dinner around 7. You have to find what works for you, and that is likely to change as you go along.

One thing to mention though Susie is that you will probably feel a bit poorly during the first week or so. Buzzy head – a bit like you’re fighting off a cold. It’s normal and known as “carb flu”. It’s just your body adapting to lower carbs and beginning to burn fat. So don’t worry if that happens: it will pass. Make sure you drink plenty of water and that you are getting enough salt. You will soon feel better and more energised.

Hope everyone else is doing well? Here’s to a good no-nonsense rest of the week! X

• posted by keithm
    on

Dreamscometrue, exactly. I just had a boiled egg with loads of salt before heading to gym. LOve eggs, love salt. I also love hummus and make my own, so will go for the hummus + celery snack when/if I get a pang to eat bread/choc. Really glad I joined this forum – I mainly expected to get some moral support but I am getting lots of practical info and tips too. Thanks everyone

• posted by Dachsiemad
    on

Hi everyone. I’m a newbie and looking for advice please. I started the 800 BSD last Saturday and have enjoyed the recipes and not felt too hungry. BUT I havent lost any weight!! This is really disappointing for my first week. I’m pre diabetic and my fasting glucose levels havent reduced either. Am I expecting too much, too soon?
    The other problem I have is with constipation. Even prior to the diet I ate tons of veggies, but had a loo problem. Weirdly, when I’ve binged on chocolate and carbs, I dont have a loo problem. The only way round it for me is 30g of All Bran on a morning, but of course I cant have this on the 800 BSD. Despite following the BSD diet breakfasts which include chia, oats and raspberries, I’m not going to the loo. Psyllium husks dont work for me either, so that’s not an option.
    Any help and advice on my questions would be really appreciated

• posted by shammy
    on

Wow, its been so great receiving everyone’s messages throughout the day of how we are all doing and the tips people have found on their journey. When you are the only one in your group of friends a) diabetic, b) dieting and c) needing encouragement as they’ve seen you diet before! its great to be in this forum, I started back on bsd last Wednesday and have lost 7lbs in 7 days I do feel hungry but have stuck to meals in the recipe book, drunk 2 litres of lemon and ginger, I know the weight loss will slow down soon.
    Thank you DCT for including me in your round up! The fear of medication is keeping me on the straight and narrow for now and that’s all I can ask for, good luck everyone xxx

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone,
    A bit late but I’d like to join in with ‘No Nonsense November’ – just what I need – thanks DCT

Cathy, – can I apologise to you first. I didn’t see your response to my last post in the October thread. I took poorly again and am just recovering (just a re-run -oops, no pun intended – of the gastroenteritis I’d had earlier). Meanwhile, my OH took the opportunity to claim back his computer – there’s sympathy for you! Hope you’re doing well. xx

So, I’ve sneaked back the laptop and I’m now raring to go in November. I’m still really happy to be home after a year of a lot of to-ing and fro-ing and my 2 aims for this month are to get back into the swing of my regular exercise and activity routine (again!), and to try out more recipes this month to help keep me on the straight and narrow.
    Really looking forward to travelling through November with everyone.
    Jennie xx

• posted by Artful Owl
    on

Dachsiemad, I feel your pain, literally! Since I started this WOE back in March I too have suffered with constipation. I have tried every suggestion on here and a few more of my own. I’ve tried magnesium tablets, chia seeds, psylium , you name it I’ve been there! Nothing seems to work like the kiwis, raspberries and muesli I used to have for breakfast in a previous life…… until last week. I use flax seeds in a bread recipe and grind them into a flour, I wondered how many net carbs were in them and when I googled it threads came up about its laxative properties so I thought I might as well give them a go. Within 2 days I was going…. I won’t go into details(!) but it’s much easier and getting better as each day goes by. I mix the flax meal with water and let it stand for a couple of hours, then add some cocoa powder a few raspberries and a dollop of Greek yogurt. It’s not a restaurant standard desert but its edible! Certainly better than downing a glass of psylium husk and water!
    We’re all different but I hope it helps you too.

Au secours and Keith it must be so difficult for you both with all those temptations in the house. Not sure how is cope in that position. I’m grateful my OH “saw the light” and joined me. He was spurred on by how easily he lost weight…. so annoying for me as I was much slower! Perhaps your OHs will eventually have that eureka moment. My OH was having health issues which helped him into lc eating. Au secours he had a pregnant bump too and now loves the fact that it has mostly gone, he still has a little bulge but at the age of 71 he is very happy!
    Another no nonsense day here , onwards and upwards everyone!

• posted by Crazyquilter
    on

SueBlue: thank you for your welcome.
    I’m still at it, not doing any counting of calories or carbs, but following the general advice on eating. If i’m searching for ‘a little something’ to eat in between meals, I tend to have a spoonful of crunchy peanut butter. The hardest times are when i am away from home and options are limited. I usually rely on eggs and salad in such cases.
    Drinking two litres is hard: I drnk tea and coffee during the day at home, and in the evenings i have a jug of water beside me and try to use it up. Oh, and I’ve started having a dessertspool of psylium husks in water in the morning (yuk) because it helps the throughput in my gut. I’m not weighing until 7th – I know we haven’t got a new weekly forum, but in my head i am working one week at a time!
    Well done everyone, and keep away the Nonsense !

• posted by ClarinetCathy
    on

Confession alert! I have taken part in some November nonsense in the form of mini orange dime bars at work! I shocked myself and all my colleagues as my hand dived into the bag and scoffed! I know that they were blocks of sugar and my poor pancreas must have had a terrible shock trying to come to terms with something so alien to contend with. I am ashamed to admit that I was so weak and that I actually enjoyed them! It was the talk of the office that I had eaten them so that shows you how disciplined I’ve been since January 2017! What is wrong with me? So out of character! My weigh day on Friday probably won’t show a loss now! It doesn’t even show a loss when I give it my all! Can’t believe how stupid I was!

Great to see such an active thread and positive thread. Sorry to let the side down. Well done everyone who is sticking to the theme of the month- no nonsense. I really do want to lose the excess weight I’ve gained this year to get me back to target weight again. Maintenance has been so difficult but I MUST TRY HARDER!
    I am retiring from the NHS at the end of March 2020 after 40 years service and my plan is to be back at my target weight of 133 lb for my retirement date. I will do it!

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi Dachsiemad
    It’s great that you’ve started the 800 BSD to help with your pre-diabetes and fatty liver. In my experience (T2 and NAFLD) it worked for both.
    From your post, I’m wondering if you are drinking enough water? I was (and am) really bad at drinking enough water – 2 litres – but when I did, it really helped.
    The other thing that really helped me when I started was weighing all my food – I bought myself a small set of digital kitchen scales – and entering what I was eating into one of the free food apps like fatsecret.co.uk or myfitnesspal. (I used fatsecret). This really helped me see not just my daily cals but also my carb intake etc.
    The carb number is really important because if you find your blood sugars are not going down at a particular level of daily carbs (e.g. 50g) you can then drop them lower (e.g. to 40g, 30g etc). But, as someone with prediabetes you shouldn’t have to do too much for things to work as far as reversing your bgl numbers. I’d say give it time. This way of eating has worked for a lot of us (both diabetic and prediabetic) and it will for you.

Jennie xx
    Btw, a lot of us find our fasting bgls take the longest to reduce. This is linked to the dawn phenomenon which is where our bodies release glucose into our blood stream first thing in the morning to kick start us into action so they can quite often be the highest reading of the day. I tested before and 2 hrs after meals and these bgls were always lower than the fasting bgls.

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Cathy, I probably shouldn’t, but I did laugh at your description “I shocked myself and all my colleagues as my hand dived into the bag and scoffed!”. Yep, I know what that’s like!
    What really impresses me though is that your colleagues were shocked – like you say a great sign of your usual discipline. One tiny slip, I know, but it’s also good to reflect on how far you’ve come since 2017. xx

• posted by Au secours
    on

Artful owl, it is very difficult, but I know if I have a taste I will keep on indulging and never reach my goal of being really slim again, which I haven’t been since I met my husband, as I was always indulging in all the treats he used to buy and give me. However, I have come to my senses and refuse to be tempted. You are fortunate your husband has joined you in your lc WOE and no longer looks pregnant. My DH says he doesn’t care, but I do care. From the 1st November I have been strictly no nonsense and will weigh myself on 8th when I will see how much I have discarded. Hope everyone is having another great lc no nonsense day. 😊

• posted by sixturkeys
    on

Keith’s mention of celery soup inspired me so I made a batch (adding some cream after blending….). I have some celery left which I will braise; will be tasty with some chicken. So celery pretty much the theme for the next few days… Susie, how are you getting on? Hope everyone is well – blips, I’ve had a few….

• posted by MelBelle
    on

@clarinetcathy – I feel your pain. I’ve had a few binge moments that I’m trying to curb. Cashews. Chocolate. Anyway, I’ve been listening to The Obesity Code podcast. Megan Ramos explains on one of the episodes that men lose pounds, but women lose inches. Women respond to the Human Growth Hormone much more than men and grow bone, muscle and change body composition. You might find it encouraging to listen to?

on

@melbelle – thank you for the podcast suggestion. I will have a listen to it. I was looking at my face in the mirror today and I thought it looked slim- certainly as slim as it looked when I was at goal or just above. I think that my body composition most likely has changed. I lost 42 lb in 2017 and lost a lot of body fat, most likely visceral fat. I have read posts from JGwen about growth hormone and it may well be possible that some of my weight increase could be bone density and a change in body composition. However, some of my clothes have become tighter over the last few months so I am going to work on them feeling more comfortable rather than relying on the scales to show the true picture!

Keith/six turkeys- I love celery and Stilton soup! I’ll be making that this week- am sick to death of salad at lunchtime. Brilliant idea! I love the cream of mushroom soup with tarragon which I found on the recipe section on here.

This weekend I am going to get organised and sort out a winter lunchtime and teatime repertoire. I was trying to remember what I ate when I first started doing BSD. I know that I have become very lazy and samey with the food iI eat. it’s more difficult being a vegetarian but am really do need to mix things up!

• posted by MelBelle
    on

@clarinetcathy – I just hit submit halfway through replying because my hubby came to say good morning. I find the Obesity Code podcast really reassuring. Lots of success stories and encouragement about intermittent fasting, autophagy, and “you can do this”. I weigh myself every day still, but it’s with the complete recognition that how my weight goes up and down has a lot to do with hydration, salt, hormonal cycle, what I ate and that I know my body’s gaining muscle and bone. It goes up and down as much as .8 kg from one day to the next, and especially as I’ve reached goal. I’m going to get my period in a week, and I know that I dropped 2 kgs in a week after my period started. Women and scales… Since I started weighing and logging my weight every day, I’ve become a bit more at peace with the ups and downs, but I still appreciate the reminder that there is important really healthy stuff going on in my body that the scales won’t tell me. A DEXA scan would. I wish I had a “before” one, but I’m hoping to get one in the new year. There’s a place in Bondi that I think does them for $50.

• posted by StrongCurves
    on

I’m so glad we’re discussing things like losing inches rather than pounds. I know I’ve mentioned already but trying hard not to feel down about my weight loss slowing dramatically. Ought to learn patience and it’s how clothes feel, what the tape measure says etc. I want to lose about 12lb but back when I was 147lb I didn’t do weight training. So maybe that weight is not realistic if I’ve gained muscle!
    Occasionally I’ve got as far as picking up a bar of chocolate but managed to go and eat real food instead.
    I will listen to the obesity code podcast, from what everyone is saying, sounds like it might be a mood boost!

• posted by Dachsiemad
    on

Jenny10 thank you for your informative reply. I found the info on bgls very useful. I’ll try that later today as I’ve always taken fasting levels.
    I do weigh everything, but havent counted carbs as I assumed if I’m following the 800 BSD and the recipes in there, that would be done for me. I’ll take a look at that too.
    Love this helpful and positive site! X

on

Week 1 of No Nonsense November weigh day tomorrow for me. Just made some celery and Stilton soup for my dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow. Really excited to eat it! Would love to have a loss on the scales tomorrow to spur me on.

I have a feeling that there are going to be some incredible results coming in tomorrow for many of those who are weighing in as there really does seem to have been some knuckling down for the No nonsense November leg of our journey together. My dime bar nonsense may have scuppered my first week but I have knuckled down this last couple of days so am keeping some of October’s left over optimism! I’ll post my first week’s results tomorrow and hope my tight clothes start to feel a little looser very soon. I’ve got 36 days until the office Christmas party and am planning to wear a lovely velvet jumpsuit so I am keeping that in my mind as I try to lose my weight. Every pound I lose will make a massive difference to how I look and feel in it! It’s good to have something to motivate me. What is keeping you motivated?

• posted by Denise susan
    on

Hi guys
    Can I join you please. I recognise a few fellow travelers, from my time on here. I have been maintaining sort of!! +\ – 4 lbs but need now to push for my last weight to be gone!! Would love a stone by Christmas but I will weigh in next Friday although like so many I am not a quick looser!!
    Looking forward to seeing everyone’s results

on

Welcome Denise Susan- I recognise your name too from the forum. I found maintenance really difficult, like you a slow loser but did achieve goal and sadly have put on more pounds than I am happy with over this year so like you am pushing for the last of my weight to be gone before I embark on maintenance once more.

This thread is vibrant and we are all cheering each other on towards our goals. There are new members and old timers like me. It definitely does help to be part of a lively thread. Slow and steady wins the race. 🐢

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Sounds like we’re all doing some great work in our no nonsense November! Lots of positive thoughts being put out there, I really enjoy reading all the posts, even people who are struggling as I think we all have a “been there” feeling and it helps to remember that this is a journey of weight loss and management not just a 1 way street! Thanks ClarinetCathy for asking about motivation, I turn 50 next month and would love to have a below 80cm waist measurement and a goal weight of 59kg. I’m weighing in tomorrow, I’ll let you know how I’m going!

• posted by Au secours
    on

123 lbs this morning, success. A discard of 3 lbs. I don’t remember when I last discarded 3 lbs in a week, probably on my first ever week of low carbing. No nonsense has certainly proved to be the way to go. I know I won’t continue to discard as much in the next seven days, but I will continue with determination, commitment and perseverance. Being on this forum really keeps me focused and that is what we need to be successful.
    Have a great lc no nonsense day everyone. 😊

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Woohoo! Well done Au secours, that’s so great, keep up the good work!

• posted by Dreamscometrue
    on

Wow Au secures that’s great – well done! Wasn’t 123lb your target weight for December? Fantastic that you’re there already and also encouraging for us that you’ve achieved your PB in terms of loss in a week. Be great to hear of other success stories next week.

I’ve lost 1lb this week; am now at 143lb and hoping to get back under 140lb by the end of November. So if I can lose 1lb a week I should just about make it (not that weight loss works that way but I can hope!). But I know I have slipped up a few times this week so if I get a bit more no nonsense-ish next week then fingers crossed ….

Welcome back DeniseSusan and hope that we can help you achieve some loss before Christmas. Dachsiemad how are you doing – are “things” improving? Nice to see you too Jennie10. And CrazyQuilter I’m sure I remember you from the original starters group in Jan 2017? Hello to everyone else too and hope I’ve not missed anyone? If so, sorry and welcome and do stay with us!

Have a great weekend everyone and here’s hoping for some good progress over the next few days X

on

1lb off for me this week- 148.2. I am hoping be 145lb or less by end of November.
    Well done Au Secour and DCT. Here’s to another week of no nonsense! I am inspired by my 1lb loss and here’s to another one next week!!!

Celery and Stilton soup for me for lunch- woo hoo!

• posted by Crosie
    on

Well done to all the discards this week! I’m down 1 lb and hope it is GONE this time-motivation to stay focused!
    Getting cold now so looking for good low carb low cal soups…Keith your celery soup has inspired me but I need a recipe.
    Thanks @melbelle for the info on the podcast.
    Good luck everyone for the rest of No Nonsense November!

• posted by Au secours
    on

Thanks to everyone for their congratulations. My weight this morning was 124 lbs (I made a typo and wrote 123) which was a loss of 3lbs so with my commitment to no nonsense November I should reach my target of 120 lbs by 1st December. My aim was to lose 1lb a week during no nonsense November, so if I continue to be self disciplined and not sabotage myself by indulging in sweet carbs, I feel I will do it, especially with the help and encouragement of this forum. Congratulations to everyone who had a discard. We can do it. 😊.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi all, some great results so far – well done 👍
    I weighed myself yesterday and had lost another 600g (1.3 pounds) over the past week, so happy with that. Still a long way to goal but I feel like I’m another step closer.
    Now to a No Nonsense weekend, weekends are always a challenge, so many opportunities to slip up!

• posted by Scottishgal
    on

I’m liking the idea of weighing in on a Friday. My weight has been all over the place lately and I’m struggling to get back on track. This morning I weighed 167lbs so I’ll take that as my new starting point and weigh in every Friday from now on.
    Well done to everyone on their super achievements so far this month.
    I’ve not had a good start to the month but it’s still early days and there’s still time to make amends.
    So here goes……KOKO

• posted by Jennie10
    on

Hi everyone – it’s lovely to be part of such a vibrant supportive thread and congratulations to everyone posting positives.

I’ve got off to a pretty good start. I’m pretty much in maintenance (although might try to get rid of a few more lbs/inches off waist in the New Year). But one of my aims for November is to get back to doing 10,000 steps a day as part of my exercise routine. The 10k steps is really to keep me moving each day – my nature naturally tending towards indolence! Anyway, I’ve managed to do over 10,000 each day since Wednesday. My next goal is to do 10k steps a day without moaning and grumbling every step of the way.
    Next week I’m going back into the gym for the more serious stuff.
    As part of extending my meals, I’ve also made some soups (Pea soup and Roasted Red Pepper) as well as the veg curry from the original BSD 800 diet book. So trying out new recipes is going OK too although I’m a bit cauliflowered out right now!

Dachsiemad – glad the info was useful – hope this coming week goes well

Anyone who’s week hasn’t gone so well keep going and keep posting. Have a lovely weekend everyone.

Jennie xx

on

Scottishgal- still very early days in November so no harm done . I am finding a Friday weigh in works for me too. I’ve tried all different weigh in days over the years but a Friday for me marks the end of a working week and even if there is a little weekend hiccup (!) then we have time to pull things back before our next weigh in.

SueBlue- you’re definitely on a roll at the moment and having continued losses- that is fantastic news. You’re an inspiration to us all.

Crosie – another member of this week’s 1lb club well done – a few of us have lost 1lb so well done to us! They all add up. If we lose 1lb per week until Christmas that would be half a stone gone!

• posted by shoegirl
    on

Just had my Saturday morning weigh in and I’ve lost 750g this week! So delighted. I’ve been trying the TRE on my fasting days and wonder if it’s part of the reason for this, that plus low carbs seems to be the way to go for me. Have others tried TRE? Hope you all have a good lc weekend.

• posted by MagicalMe
    on

So wonderful to read about so many losses. Awesome work people! I’m waiting till Tuesday/Wednesday to check again.
    But fasting bgl is 6.5, down from 7.8 when I started and blood pressure is in normal range again! And I’ve managed to stick to 800 a day. ALL week! I’m keeping food groups balanced within that. And drinking over 2L water.
    I haven’t been as committed to exercise this week, thinking that’s why I’ve not been as regular maybe.

• posted by Butterlover
    on

Hi Everyone.Well done to those with such impressive discards .Im also pleased that I have turned a corner and discarded 300gm yesterday,I weigh daily , I had a glucose tolerance test yesterday and the sweet drink set off some sweet cravings but I managed to do 8000 steps around the shopping center to distta
    Ct from eating and Im more motivated to keep moving.I bought a Australian diabetic living magazine for a few recipe ideas.In the past this magazine has motivated me.There was report about someone who gave up keto and a link to Masteringdiabetes.org.This website is opposite to our restricted carbs actually recommending restricted fats and meats and promoting vegetable protein. It started me thinking. How many of us are repeat dieters from 2017?How may of us have high cholesterol?Is there any good research about them longer term effects of low carb living.
    If anyone has any properly reasearched info I would love to know about it.Im a bit confused Iwill be sticking with DSD but easing back on fat anf red meat. Have a great weekend.

• posted by keithm
    on

Morning you no-nonsense lot, sorry for not posting yesterday. Well done everyone seems to have done very well.

I have discarded 8 lbs, now down to 13st 9, so pleased with that and makes me think where I would be if I hadn’t strayed a couple of days. I always lose a lot in week 1, then slow right down so now the battle lines are drawn and I have to fight for every pound. THere will be only one winner!!

• posted by keithm
    on

Crosie, my celery soup could not be easier. Slowly fry a large onion and whole head 0of celery (no leaves) chopped up. THe longer the better for flavour. About 15-20 mins on low light. THen add vegetable stock – about a litre. Less if you want the soup thicker, more if you want thinner. Experiment on that front. Blend and voila. Season salt and pepper. The only downside to this is in total it takes about an hour and is messy doing the blending. You can add cream if you want. I did add some coconut oil the other day and it was OK but it tasted very differently – mostly of coconut!

Alternatively, my wife just got a soup maker. Bung onion and celery in there, fill up to the “max” mark and switch on. 20 mins later you have piping hot soup. NOt quite as nice as the above cos no caramelisation of the onion but it is very close and no hassle.

• posted by MelBelle
    on

@butterlover – it sounds like you’re switching between different diets? Low fat, low red meat, more veg protein is a more conventionally promoted diet, the kind that hasn’t worked for a lot of people. I’m in Australia too. Don’t forget that you need protein and fat to feel full, and that red meat is a great source of iron.

As a side note, my husband is on a lectin elimination diet for arthritis, and is only eating grass fed meat with animal fat at this stage. He is losing a lot of weight on this diet. 5 kgs in 10 days. I’d be watching your carbs and snacking more than your meat and healthy fats.

In terms of getting your hands on more research, I’ve been watching a lot of presentations on LowCarbDownUnder YouTube channel. It’s excellent quality. See what you think. I watched a video yesterday of Zoe Harcombe about fibre and also the origins of the “eat less meat, more vegetables and carbs”.

Please log in or register to post a reply.