No bread, rice, pasta, spuds

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Hi all, read the book, trying to cut out normal carbs mainly, aiming to reduce or cut out meds completely. Not too bothered about weight loss, done that already, but have lost about 3kg in the the last 10days. Missing me sweeties though in moments of weakness. Interesting going back to cooking from scratch. Picking and choosing recipe ideas and tweaking to my own tastes, so far really pleased with results and getting sugars stabilised, to have a good argument to start reducing meds, visit to the docs next week. Fingers crossed.

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Hi, Hartley’s jelly in a small tub less than 10 kCal per pot is a nice refreshing treat from the fridge, just finished one. If you have already lost your excess weight what are you doing on BSD?

• posted by Hairbear
    on

HI Skywalker, trying to reduce medication for type 2 diabetes. Found my weight creeping up after a new lot of meds. So decided to try the low carbs route after reading the book. I’m aware that I need to check it out with the doc, At the moment I’m taking metformin, glycicide and Saxi something, 8tablets a day plus aspirin, ramipril and astovastatin. Suffered a heart attack 2 years ago, at 54. Lost about 3 stone in the last 2 years, felt and feel pretty good now, but fed up with the meds. I’m not necessarily sticking to the 800 cals bit, but have possibly found a more natural way of getting the hsbc thing, (can never remember the right name for the test) under control. Daily blood sugar tests have substantially reduced in the last ten days, so need approval to start reducing meds from the doc and phase them out.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Hairbear.

Welcome to the BSD family. Can I suggest you read Bill1954’s posts. He’s type 2 and was on medication. Now he’s medication-free.

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Thanks Captainlynn, how do I find the posts, not sure how these forums work.

• posted by Julia18togo
    on

Hi hairbear
    Welcome! Bill1954’s posts are on a thread called ‘this has to work for me’ in the ‘Welcome to the BSD’ area. Just scroll down the list of topics until you come to that one.
    Julia

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

Just type your subject into the Search box on top right – you will find most things easily enough…

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi Hairbear, welcome to the forums. some people are TOFIs and it works for them – not sure whether you would go down to 800 calories though! Bill 1954 has come off meds by just using portion control and 50g or less of carbs a day. No calorie counting. That might just be the ticket for you ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Thanks for the info guys and gals, not too concerned too much about the 800 calories, mainly the principle and how it works, so far, impressed with the results. Look forward to vastly reduced meds. May seem odd or just a placebo effect, but shaving smoother and definitely more alert.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Actually Hairbear that may not be placebo – lots of people are reporting improvements in their skin! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hairbear,
    You don’t need to count the calories, just keep to low carbs and full fat. As Hashimoto said, it worked for Bill, also for me. I am now always in the non diabetic range and I only count carbs. You’ll reduce your blood sugars and cholesterol too following the BSD principles.

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Thanks Cherrieanne, last 10 days bloods have ranged consistently between 5and 9, previously 9ish to 17 at one point. Now monitoring closely to avoid going too low. Had one blip at 2.8, not sure what caused that, at the point where I think med reduction is now possible. Like many on here, had a cool reception when I mentioned low carbs with the practice nurse. This was before I’d come across the book. He just seemed hell bent on increasing meds, as if there was no hope, ever again. Nah! I got myself fit again after the heart attack and shed nearly 3 stone in 2 years. I’m at the stage in life (56) that I won’t accept obstacles, if they’re there, I will find a way around, over or through them, don’t have time to waste messing about. For all of you out there in the ether world, let no-one tell you, “it’s not possible.” Take one small step at a time, any progress, however tiny it may be, is progress, a stepping stone if you like. Ha, ha, onwards and upwards folks, let’s turn this ‘orrible thing on it’s head!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hairbear, I love your attitude!! It will get you the results you want on this diet! You’ve achieved so much already! ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Thanks Hashimoto, observe the masses, do the opposite!

• posted by AudreyLee
    on

Good for you. Its touch to cut curbs for me because I feel like nothing else can fill me. Can I ask what do you cook with meat? I can think only of rise and potato. Can you share some recipes please!

• posted by Hairbear
    on

Hi AudreyLee. Like you, I’m new to this, But II’ve found that roasted vegetables seem to do the trick. As you will have read from previous posts, I’m not sticking strictly to the blood sugar bit, but mainly carbs. For the lasagne, use sliced courgettes and aubergines, spaghetti replace with julienned courgettes. I’ve used butter beans in chilli, Roasted cauliflower with curries. Just experimenting really, adapting some of the recipes on here to my own taste. I’ve not touched bread, paste, rice or potatoes since 15th April and have lost just under 7lbs. Bloods have stabilised enough to have a good argument for reducing meds. I’ve never been good at veggies before and I love fresh bread and roasties, but with spices the veggies are working. The bread takes a bit more will power. Generally, mince beef, chicken turkey and fish are all ok, just watch the portion size. If necessary adapt to suit you, it’s your choice, make it work for you.

Please log in or register to post a reply.