Newbie with a couple questions…

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by katb
    on

Hi! I am brand new to the program. Diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about a week ago. Watched Dr. Mosley’s video online and have been trying to follow the basics for a few days. Recieved the book yesterday and ready to start full on Fast 800 today. Have read the book but i still have two questions to which I cannot seem to figure out the answer:

1. What is the percentage of fat, protein and carbs you should have daily? I have been trying to stay under 45 grams of carbs daily since diagnosed, however based on some of the posts I read is that way too many?? I am juicing a lot of veggies and a few suggested fruits and pretty much all of my carbs are coming from that. I am also eating protein with every meal. Would appreciate a specific guide as I will not be able to only eat the recipes suggested in the daily menu.

2. Are the 800 calories “net”. Am I supposed to adjust my caloric intake for exercise, ie: if I burn 200 calories exercising do I need to cosume 1000 calories that day?

Thank you in advance.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Welcome Katb, you are in the right place to reverse your diabetes and you are lucky enough to have found this plan so early after your diagnosis, though not lucky to be diagnosed. I assume as you are newly diagnosed you have not been put on medication but have been given the chance to control with diet.

Others will come and tell you the percentages you are looking for. I just stick with 800 calories and keep to under 50g carbs but absolutely no white starchy carbs – I’m sure you know the list.

The calorie total of 800 is all you get, doesn’t matter if you exercise or not. In fact, you might find exercise a bit of a push for the first couple of weeks. If you have to slow down this won’t stop you from losing weight or reducing your BG. If you find you are flagging at 800 or feel weak for shaky after exercise try to snack on something BSD friendly, I find a couple of prunes and some Greek yoghurt (a couple of spoons) will bring the BG back up, just keep a check on yourself. Before BSD I used to think I had to eat something sweet or carby to avoid low BG but all that did was stop me from losing weight. Eating more to compensate for exercise didn’t work for me then and I don’t do it now.

Good luck and don’t be afraid to ask questions. It is sometimes quicker for you if you do a search first by putting your question in the Search box at the top right hand of the page. If you don’t find what you want, then ask away.

• posted by NancyB
    on

Hi katb
    Not sure about amount of fats and proteins, but I am certain that just about everybody is trying to stay under 50g carbs each day. If you follow the recipes then you will be getting the right amount of fats and proteins. Some say you need 1g of protein for each kg of what would be your IDEAL weight.
    As for the 800 cals – yes, you must stick to 800 calories or under each day. So if your energy expenditure and basal metabolic rate sums to 2,500 cals a day that is a deficit of 1,700 cals a day and you should lose half a pound (8oz) of body fat each day.
    Nancy x

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi katb

Some diabetics on here have dropped their carbs to around 25g daily to normalise blood sugars. It’s an individual thing – you’ll find your level.

• posted by katb
    on

Thank you everyone that is very helpful!!! Have a great day!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I plugged my weight and height into the keto calculator kindly provided by Martin Ankerl (Google it if you want to try it, or there are some links on earlier threads) and worked on 40g carbs, 77g protein and 35g fat as a rough target for my average weekly values, and that seemed about right. If you are doing a lot more exercise then you may need to up the protein and drop the carbs a bit further, but the fat is quite important to keep up for satiety.

Please log in or register to post a reply.