Newbie – Started today – 9th January – I have a lot of weight to lose.

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

I am 51 and live in Sydney, Australia. I would like to lose 40 – 50 kg to get to my ideal weight. I have tried so many diets and have lost weight and put it on again and more. I am determined to follow the 8 week Blood Sugar Diet starting today. I have read the entire book and have also bought the recipe book. It looks very do-able. I do not have diabetes but am doing this to lose weight and for my health. I look forward to reading posts on the Forum to see how others are doing.

Day One has gone OK – I went over the calories today to 900 instead of 800 (but that is OK – good start). I have resisted temptations and have drunk a lot of water as it has been so hot in Sydney today. I completed a Curves session this morning (305 calories).
    I am still on summer school holidays (I am a teacher) so I have time for planning my meals. I think it should be OK once I go back to work – I find it easier to diet when I am busy and don’t have time for snacking. My only obstacles are two birthday parties in January.

Good luck to all January Newbies. I look forward to sharing my progress over the next weeks.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Hey! I’ve just started too and keep tipping over to 900/1000 calories (finding it quite tough!) but so far I’ve lost 8lbs in a week so I’m happy it’s doing something! Hope it’s going well 😊

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

Hello HulaGirl and New Kathy

Welcome.

Just thought I’d share a bit of experience. I started BSD around five months ago.

Like you Kathy I aimed to lose around 45kg, albeit from a relatively high starting point of 150kg.
    Hulagirl- I have eaten on average just over 900 calories a day but kept my carbs down to under 50g per day.

On my weigh-in this morning I’ve lost just under 33kg, so, whilst not easy, it is achievable, if you keep the faith and drink the water!

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Wow, thank you both for sharing your progress. It helps me to focus knowing that the diet does work. I want 2017 to be the year that I finally succeed and I want to keep the weight off for life.

• posted by Hulagirl
    on

Oh my goodness that’s amazing! Thanks for sharing your success. I bet you feel fantastic. I get married in 6 months so I really want to lose weight quite quickly! You are a total inspiration.

Kathy – we can do this!!

• posted by SadieOne
    on

Hello All
    Another newbie here – day 1 and feeling like I can really do this. Like lots of others I’ve tried lots of diets but have finally got it through my thick skull that a diet isn’t ever going to work, I need to change my eating habits. So, day 1- I’ve managed to keep it to just under 800 cals and drink 2 litres of water. Tomorrow I’ll start the walking as well and add in a walk around the block before dinner.

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Ok. Never posted on a forum in my life before. Just starting today 9th Jan. Need to loose 26kgs. Lost 13 last year and put them all back on. This time it can’t be the same. Need to keep motivated and see results! Feeling very hungry today already – drinking loads of tea. Good luck everyone dealing with their own stuff. Let’s do this.

• posted by abisaysyes
    on

Hello! I’m starting today too, aiming to lose 13kg in 9 weeks or less. Should be totally possible, I’d love to do it before the 9 weeks are up! I’m working at home today which makes things harder I think (for me at least) – I have had a few little mouthfuls of nuts to keep me going!!! Need to stop snacking and just eat at meals or when I am actually really hungry. I’m determined to do this and to be healthier forever. Go team!!

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Thank you everyone for the posting so quickly. I feel that I am not alone and am happy to be part of a team all on the same journey. I am certain that we can all do this!

• posted by Seahorsesal
    on

Hi everyone, I have started today too and aiming to loose 12kg in the 8 weeks. Going through the menopause so I put on lots of weight very quickly and now much harder to loose πŸ™ and much hungrier than before. So I am really going to give this a good go!! I think water is key so will be drinking lots. Good luck everyone.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Seahorsesal – I feel your pain, the menopause did the same to me too and I ended up the heaviest I had ever been, excluding pregnancy – although it was close! Make sure you include good fats in your menu, as this helps to make you feel full quicker and for longer, which might help if you seem to be much hungrier these days.

Good luck with it and keep us posted on your progress. Be sure to shout if you need support or advise, as there are lots of great people on the forum and they are great at offering help and useful tips.

• posted by lady2b
    on

Hi New Kathy! I am also a teacher and in a way (only a slight way) cannot wait to go back to school where the day is so busy that not eating is part of the norm. I had 40-50 kilos to lose but fortunately have lost 15 kilos since the beginning of October 2016. I had to do something as at that time I was in a bad place health wise. Luckily, not yet diabetic but coming close to it. I cut out all grains and sugar and felt better within a week.I want to lose another 30 kilos and as I find myself eating too much, albeit nothing with sugar or grain, I still eat too often and too much. I started the BSD diet today and hopefully be more disciplined with my meals. Bought the book, what I read makes sense and now I need to go for it.
    JulesMaigret, you have inspired me. 33kilos in 5 months….what a champion! I need to keep my carbs under 50 g per day and remember to drink plenty of water.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Day 2 – feeling good and staying on track. I am going to weigh myself each day and was happy to see a 0.8 kg loss (I realise that a lot is water, but it is still encouraging). I am using the Easy Diet Diary app to track food calories and carbs as well as weight. I am drinking more than 2 litres of water as a result of reading the posts in forums and not wanting to suffer from headaches. I have discovered that the Twinings Strawberry, Raspberry & Loganberry herbal tea is refreshing hot or cold. I hope all other newbies are doing well.

• posted by SadieOne
    on

Day 2 for me too and I can honestly say that today was much easier than yesterday. I have been much better on drinking my water today and don’t feel nearly as hungry as I did yesterday. I did weigh myself this morning and was thrilled at a 0.4 kg weight loss already. Thanks for the tip about the tea, I will add that to my shopping list. Hope everyone else is feeling great too.

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Hello everyone. Day 2 for me too! I found day 1 really hard – was really hungry all day and quite grumpy. Giving up all the Xmas booze too is quite a shock to my system…. However today I woke up feeling really different. Clearer headed (thank you herbal tea) and more positive about this. On day 1 I found each meal rather teeny and unsatisfactory so today I decided to skip breakfast and have too bigger meals. That worked better for me – I don’t find it that hard skippng breakfast. However I still could have eaten double the portions I had! More or less 800 cals I think in total. No weight loss on scales this morning but not panicking yet! I made the skinny aubergine lasagne from the book and it was yummy. After supper is hard – I want a second helping – or a glass of wine! I think early bed is probably the only solution until I get used to this. A long way to go 55 lbs. I think I need to break this down into smaller chunks somehow. But concerned about how to feel satisfied with any loss when you know you really have so far to go?

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I used the concept of mini-goals to get small celebrations while I was losing the weight. These aren’t really targets as such, but such things as making it into the next stone down, losing half a stone or 5 kilos (or both in my case) a percentage of your former body weight, or even non scale victories like needing to punch new holes in your favourite belt or dropping clothes sizes. There is a thread on the forum for sharing the celebrations although it seems to have become a little disused.

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Oh thanks Mixnmatch that sounds like a good way to do it… I’ll have to look at that celebrations thread for inspiration. Thank you. It sounds like you have lost lots of weight..?!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I have lost over 100 pounds since Feb 2015, most of it last year when I discovered this way of eating. Just over 7 1/2 stone at the moment, and if I make my target soon that will be 50 kilos lost and 45% of my former bodyweight. See what I mean about tracking lots of things πŸ˜€ Clothes sizes from 22 to size 10-12 and a whole heap of improvements to my Health. It has in some ways been the easiest way of eating I have ever tried, and far better than any short term diet plan.

• posted by Leshaz
    on

Hi New Kathy (and everyone on this thread) Reading your post sounded a lot like me!! I have 40kg to lose, not diabetic and am a teacher. I am really determined to do this as being so overweight is affecting my life far too much for my liking! I have just finished reading the book and during that time have already made some slight changes to my eating habits. I am gearing up to start early next week and am going by the rule of ‘Prior preparation prevents poor performance’ so going to ensure everything is in place to give me the best start. Would love to keep in touch to help motivate, encourage and support. Best of luck – we can do this!!!

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Thank you everyone for the postings.

Mixnmatch – your weight loss is amazing. Congratulations I hope that I have the willpower to achieve such results. Did you follow the BSD for the whole period or have breaks?
    Bombalone & Leshaz & SadieOne & Seahorsesal & abisaysyes & Hulagirl – good luck – its great that there is a team starting around the same time and there to provide and receive encouragement. Looking forward to future posts.
    Day 3 – started well but a social luncheon resulted with some deviation. Tried hard to stay on track – however was more restrained then I would have been normally. Main culprit was a fruit salad and some salad which contained a bit of potato. Will investigate the damage on the scales in the morning.

• posted by ShelboBaggins
    on

Hi everyone, this is Day 3 for me too and I’m surprisingly finding it a lot easier than I thought I would. I bought the book sometime last year but never started as the thought of just 800 calories a day filled me with dread. Although I’m not T2 I suspect that if I carry on as I am will end up being pre-diabetic. I have 56lbs (25kg) to get me to my ideal weight and the top-end of a healthy BMI, not sure how long that might take but I have a mini goal of end of April for my holiday in Thailand so I want to lose as much as possible before then and not look/feel like a fat blob!
    I’m finding it much harder to lose weight than I did when I was younger and I get easily discouraged if the scales don’t move enough so am hoping higher losses in the first few weeks of BSD will spur me on to keep going. I’ve decided to fast till lunchtime and just have 2 meals a day saving most of my calories for dinner and so far so good. Have lost 2.2lbs so far so am happy with that, and must remember to keep up with the water intake. Am drinking fizzy water and a hot vegetable bouillon drink as when needed (12 cal per teaspoon serving) which I find helps to keep any hunger at bay.

Good luck on journey everyone, we can do it!!

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Mixnmatch – WOW that is incredible! I can’t imagine how much willpower and determination you must have. Totally impressed and hearing your story is a hugely motivating. You must be an incredibly strong person. You prove to us that we can do it and you model the determination that we will all surely need over the coming months… Thank you.

Shelbobaggins – you sound like you are in a very similar position as me and have almost exactly the same amount to loose! Also sounds like you are taking the same approach as me (skipping breakfast). I find it extremely hard to loose weight and so far (Day 3) have lost 1 lb. I have dieted so many times over the years I think my body knows something is up and clings on to weight for dear life…. This time it won’t be a diet that needs repeating – I aim to put as much energy into ‘maintaining’ as losing the weight, if I can ever get it off. Have not deviated from plan yet, so, despite minimal loss, I am feeling saintly! I love bouillon as a breather from tea and fizzy water too.

Good luck everyone and thank you New Kathy for starting this thread.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Mixnmatch, wow that is some result. Congratulations.
    I have been on this ‘way of life’ since the 1st October. So delighted with encouragement from this site it certainly helps me every day. I have not lost weight in vast amounts but just a lb a week mostly. Its one of the hardest things I have ever done. But I have stuck to it. I have not felt so well in years, not diabetic thankfully and can now go for a walk without my feet hurting and struggling for breath. I have not totted up how much I should weigh but I am now thinking I should.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I don’t think BSD was around when I got to my heaviest ever over Christmas 2014 and decided I had to do something about it. I was 18 stone 11, having trouble stepping into the bath to have a shower, breathless when I reached the top of the stairs, just finding some of my size 20 clothes unwearable and having to consider a whole new size 22 wardrobe (some clothes were already there). I did two things. I started the 5:2 diet (without the book, so wasn’t counting on non fast days) and I joined a local community sport group called ‘I wish I’d tried’ which gave taster sessions of sport and fitness sessions at the local gym without you actually having to join, at Β£1 a session, complete with a coach/trainer. I lost around three stone in 2015, but 5:2 fizzled out a bit in the latter half of the year, and by the time I got to last January I had put a stone back on. I guess you could call that a break, although not a deliberate one. In January I got a book from a library sale, the 17 day diet, and tried that, I also read about Sirt foods at the same time and tried to incorporate as many of them as I could. The weight came off quite well during the first 17 days (very much like BSD) slowed down in the second 17 days (Re-introduce some foods) and stopped completely in the third (back on the white stuff) so I switched back to 5:2. Still using Sirt foods though, I used 600 rather than 500 for fast days and 1840 calories on non fast days and counted all days. I found the BSD in April, read the forum and decided to change to BSD 5:2. Fast days were 800 and non fast days 1600, I still lost weight just as fast even though I was still overeating carbs a little at that point. I started watching carbs as well in late May, moved to 4:3 Getting impatient! A major milestone was fitting into a size 18 fitted dress at the end of June on my birthday. I had bought it in the January sales, as a ‘target’. July was an actual planned break. I had my birthday celebrations including cake and lots of wine and prosecco, then a week later we went to France camping for a week, beer and bread, I tried not to overdo it, but over that couple of weeks put six pounds back on. The end of July and all of August it was back to 4:3 BSD then September 2:5 BSD with just the weekends on 1600. October and November were the full 800 fast. December was technically back to 4:3 to minimise the damage, and from 23rd December to 2nd January was essentially another planned break. The bounce back from the end of my 8 weeks fast to 2nd January was 10 pounds, 8 of which have now gone again as of this morning suggesting a lot of them were water.

I still visit the forum not only because it helps me stay focused on why I am doing this, but also because when I was a newbie I got so much information from the people who had been doing it before me, I hope I can pass on some tips and assure you all that I am no more gifted with willpower than anyone else. I have simply now found ‘my’ way of eating, that I know will be sustainable to my goal weight and beyond into maintenance.

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Mixnmatch thank you so much for sharing that. I found reading it very moving – got quite emotional! As the details show you are like the rest of us – working hard to find a way that can fit in with your reality, facing set backs, fiddling around with what you do. Yet the overriding thing is YOU DO NOT GIVE UP. To this day, it would seem. That is what is inspiring. Well done you, I hope I can find such determination. The fact that you have had blips and “real life” moments makes your success even more impressive – and helps me to feel it is do-able. My problem has always been the set back – they have made me give up, feeling either “I can’t do/sustain THIS” or “it just doesn’t work long term as a diet”. So many diets work for a bit. So few continue to work to get you to your goal. I am doing 800 every day, skipping breakfast. The book says to change it up after 8 weeks but I worry that anything less (5:2 or 3:4) would slow the loss or possibly grind it to a halt. What has been others’ experience of that? Thanks so much for sharing your amazing story. You are doing so well.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Hi Bombalone
    Lots of us have done more that the 8wks of the Fast800 and I recommend reading the posts by CaptainLynn, who has done fantastically by continuing for many months on the 800 and had fantastic results – she is a real inspiration. That’s not to say that this is right for everyone, it’s important we work with our bodies to find the best solution for ourselves.

I originally did eight weeks, took a break and managed to maintain. Then I did 16wks back on the 800, before taking another break for real life and now I’m back on the 800 and will be sticking with that, until we go on a long vacation again in early April, in the hope of hitting final goal weight before then.

Whatever plan you finally settle on, I hope you get the results you are looking for. Good Luck.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Thank you Mixnmatch for sharing your journey. I guess one needs to be prepared for setbacks along the way. The important message is to keep going and not give up.

Thank you SunnyB for your experience and advice. It really helps to read about real life experiences.

I have just finished Day 4 – visiting Mum is not a good idea. I have gone over the 800 calories by about 200 today. But the carbs are close to 50. I didn’t drink as much today. We had a pleasant break from the stifling hot spell of the last few days. I have managed to go to Curves on 3 of the last 4 days and feel better for it. The computer tells me that I am burning 320 calories in the 30 minute circuit – so that is an added bonus.. Hoping to see a loss on the scales in the morning.

• posted by fraggle257
    on

Hi All! Also a newbie who started on 9th Jan! I am a 44 year old woman with an under-active thyroid which was really haywire at the end of last year which meant that I put on an awful lot of weight and couldn’t find any motivation to stick to any good way of eating. I reached my heaviest weight ever (12 stone 13 lbs). Luckily just before Christmas we discovered that my thyroid had been under-medicated for nearly a year and the doctors increased my medication. Starting to feel better, I knew that after Christmas I would resolve to make an effort to do something about it. I had bought and read the BSD book last summer so I started on the 8 week fast on 9th Jan also. I am finding it really easy whilst I am at home and cooking everything that I eat, I realise the trial will come when I am out and about and not as able to control everything I eat and drink. So far I have stuck to the plan 100% and I am very happy to see that I had dropped down to 12 stone 8.5 this morning! Loving hearing the tales of inspiration and motivation. Nice to meet you all! πŸ™‚

• posted by Bombalone
    on

SunnyB thanks for the tips. Sounds like you are doing really well also – and managing to fit in bits of real life without going totally off the wagon. That’s really encouraging to hear. You are very disciplined to go off and on like you have. That’s what I need to learn, to be more flexible – I am either 100% on a diet or 100% not on and messing up all my hard work. Need to find that middle ground that you have where you can have a little while off an get back on it before too much damage is done! Sounds like you will get to your target for your well-earned holiday! Good luck and thank you.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I don’t regard any of my breaks from weightloss in this last period as a setback, instead they were an integral part of my learning curve. Previous occasions where I lost 3-4 stone on restrictive diets and then put it all back on again, they were setbacks because I didn’t learn and stopped trying. This time it really is different. I love the food, the carb monster has joined the inner chimp firmly locked in their cages, and I know this is it. When I reach my goal, I will maintain my weight, increase/maintain my fitness and keep on keeping on, even with more regular treats, and if the weight starts to go on I will fast again, because I know now how easy it is. I know it seems odd to say it but this is the easiest diet I have ever tried. It just suits me and felt right as soon as I started. (I was one of the lucky ones who avoided carb flu). If you have one day when you simply must break the diet, do it but remember that nothing is broken. The diet can still be a success, and it takes over 3500 calories over and above your daily expenditure to put on a pound in fat. I don’t think many people could do that in one day after they have been fasting for a while, so dust yourself off, get back on the wagon and call that week a 6:1 with 6 good days and only one bad day.

• posted by HelenTorp
    on

Hi all,
    Also a newbie to BSD started Jan 9 too, also new to forums so excuse my me if I don’t follow the etiquette. This week has been much easier than I thought possible and I am more confident than I have ever been starting a diet. Thank you for all the advice and positive comments, feels like a genuine support network. I hope to be able to join you all in this journey. I have about 15 kg to use (2stoneish I think) I live in Sweden so some things are hard to come by but so far using recipes from the bsd recipe book is going well.

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Mixnmatch it is reassuring to hear that you too have lost several stone and put it on again in the past yet you feel that this is the one, this is the one you feel you can maintain, have treats, get back to etc. long term. Also what you say about having a day where you must break it – and that all is not lost, in fact it’s a 6:1! I like your attitude and feel motivated by your ease with the diet and how you actually like it. Fingers crossed I can get to that place too – that’s where I want to be. My challenging question for you is this – do you REALLY TRULY think that carb monster is in its cage? Do you not walk past ***shop (***insert your fave thing in the world – mine: creme brΓ»lΓ©e or pastries!) and think “if only”, or “when”?

Good luck all 9th Jan-ers!

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

Honestly I don’t really crave any of that stuff any more. I used to have a regular Waitrose almond croissant habit, with my Waitrose card they let you have a free coffee and almost every day I used to stop in on my way home from work and have a cappuccino and an almond croissant. I stopped today, I still go many days a week, because the reduced section is great for a really fantastic selection of dead cheap fruit and veg, I had a black coffee and went to look at my old habitat, they had been reduced, it was 39p, but my nose literally wrinkled. I didn’t fancy it at all. Far too sweet and sickly looking with all that icing sugar over it. I had a dessert with lunch today of one raw fig, one medjool date and a teaspoon of clotted cream left over from Christmas. It was lovely. Your tastes really do move away from sugar and that excessive sweetness after a while. Now alcohol is a different matter, and one yet to be fully addressed when I approach my goal. Luckily I am quite picky about what and when I drink at the moment, and I have hopes that I can continue this in some form into maintenance, for example only drinking on weekends maybe. At least now i am aware that a bottle of wine contains enough calories at 800 for a whole days nutrition, only without most of the nutrition 😁

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

On the other hand I made my own Christmas cake this year, and it is currently sat in my dining room, only half eaten by the family at Christmas. I will have a small slice with a fresh coffee and cream tomorrow afternoon and then no more until next week. Hopefully it will keep until I finish it in such small slices, as my OH has not got a sweet tooth at all. Being made by me, I did make sure it used Spelt and Buckwheat flour rather than wheat, but a 100 gram slice is still 365 cals and 46g carbs so it is a good job I am not restricted to 800/50 any more. πŸ˜€

• posted by Bombalone
    on

OMG almond croissants are really my favourite pastry of all… I am so impressed that they don’t impress you. Booze is my weakness too. Wine every night – I always think of it as grown-up sweeties. However, am doing dry Jan – and hoping to keep dry until weight lost (other than for special occasions). Your talk of croissants and homemade Xmas cake is making me very hungry!!!! My carb monster is growling…..

• posted by JulesMaigret
    on

I share your “interest” in Waitrose’s reduced section – Kale and spinach always seem to be available at about 20p a pack and last a good few days post-sale. Also an excuse to stock up on the Dominican Republic 90% choccy.

I’ve also lost all interest in the bakery section – too sweet. I’m at a client in the South of France in a couple of weeks so the French bread may be a bit more of a challenge!

For booze, I’m currently really not bothering, but I need to come up with a way of bringing wine back in, in moderation.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

5 days completed now and It is not as hard as I imagined. Having said that – I have really been averaging 900 calories. I am not skipping breakfast, just keeping it minimal (100g of yoghurt and 50g of frozen berries) I can see a decrease on the scales and will officially record at the end of the week. I do feel healthier already, a bit more energy and no side-effects so far. I went shopping with my daughters this week and have refrained from buying any clothes. I am reminding myself that it would be a waste of money ….. because I am going to lose all this weight and any purchase now will be too big soon (I hope).

My hurdle today is my nieces’s 21st Birthday party this evening. I will try to minimise the calories during the day and make good choices this evening. I am pleased that I have not eaten any “white stuff” and I do not miss it. To satisfy the chocolate addiction I have had about 4 squares of the 70% Lindt over the week.

So far so good. Thank you everyone for all the postings. I cannot believe that there are already 36 posts since I started this thread 5 days ago.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

It’s Day 7 and I am sticking to the 800 calories today. The 21st birthday party last night was finger food only and nothing that is OK on the BSD. I was worried when I stepped on the scales this morning – but the good news was that my weight stayed the same as yesterday (it must of the been due to my effort during the week). So I guess I can say that this week is a 6:1 week. Hoping to see a positive result tomorrow morning (the end of week 1). I hope everyone has had a good week.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

End of week 1 results: lost 2.1kg. I am happy with this as I had a big deviation from the plan on Day 6 (a birthday party) and a small increase in calories on day 3. Powering into week 2 now. Hoping to at least equal this loss this week before my 25th wedding anniversary in week 3.
    I am going to try out some recipes from the BSD Recipe book this week.

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Hi New Kathy.
    Just wanted to thank you (and everyone else who has posted here) for sharing your experiences.
    I’m on Day 2, so a bit behind you πŸ™‚ I’m also 51 and from Sydney – but not a teacher πŸ™‚
    I only bought the book on Saturday, read it cover to cover that night and started yesterday (Sunday). I’ve been dieting for much of my adult life, although looking back there were times I didnt really need to be! Now I’m at my heaviest. I’m pre-diabetic, not diabetic, but also have an auto-immune disorder so am looking to lose 20-25kg if I can, to improve my health and prevent developing diabetes. I’m on Prednisone (steroids) at the moment, an unfortunate side effect is weight gain, and an increased tendency to get diabetes, so I’m looking to reverse that.
    I found it really hard at work today, was SO hungry! So I’ve decided to have a bigger breakfast and lunch tomorrow and a smaller dinner to see if that helps.
    It’s really encouraging and helpful to read everyone’s experiences, so again thanks for sharing πŸ™‚

• posted by ShelboBaggins
    on

Well done on you first week New Kathy and welcome SueBlue. Done my weigh in just now after my first week and have lost 4.4lbs so I’m happy with that despite reading in other threads that people have lost a lot more in their first week 😊. I’ve gained an additional 2 stone in the last 18 months on top of already being 2 stone over my ideal weight and have tried numerous failed attempts at shifting it because I just wasn’t seeing results quick enough to keep going therefore adding to a vicious cycle of comfort eating because I felt fat and horrible! I had planned to shift it all last year in time for my 40th last year in September (fit and fabulous was my mantra) but work got in the way as I went from one stressful project to another. I am determined now however that this is it and time to take back control and I will still be fit and fabulous @ 40….so I’m giving myself till my 41st this year to get there 😊!!
    This forum has been invaluable so far as it’s given me the motivation I needed that I can do it and I will keep coming back to lurk or update on my progress. I’ve been finding 800 cals so far quite manageable despite my initial reservations and haven’t really felt hungry, had the expected headaches at Day 2/3 but no carb cravings and even made some nachos for my OH at the weekend without flinching! After a little stall on the scales yesterday (went up 0.2lbs) I decided to read up on plateaus/whoosh effect and that was really enlightening as I suspect that is what has happened to me in the past, I have lost fat but it hasn’t shown on the scales yet because my fat cells were holding onto the water that replaced the fat and it can take days/weeks even for them to release…I just need to be patient and persevere and remember to drink at least 3l of water daily!! I’m going to up my game this week and start a walk/run programme that will hopefully keep me moving in the right direction.

Happy Monday all and hope this week goes well for you all 😊

• posted by SueBlue
    on

Wow 4.4lbs is great Shelbo! I usually lose weight at around 1lb PER MONTH so am looking forward to seeing if the BSD has better results.
    I remember I was overweight in my late 30s and was determined to lose it before 40. I lost about 1 1/2 stone at 38 following a low GI diet, so I was slim at 38 and 39…. but put the weight back on (and then some!) by 40! Even though I was overweight at 40, I was still a good 15kg (2 stone?) less than I am now! So best to nip weight gain in the bud. Anyway well done on your loss this week – hopefully I’ll have a similar post next week!

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Welcome SueBlue, I felt a bit hungry in the first 2 days. I went over by 100 -150 calories, but I made sure they were “healthy” calories such as frozen raspberries or fresh strawberries or blueberries. As the weather was hot I forced myself to drink water every hour. I made up some iced tea by infusing the Twinnigs Strawberry, Raspberry & Loganberry herbal tea. My sugar cravings have diminished and when I feel like chocolate I have a square of the 90% cocoa Lindt chocolate. It is not sweet nor creamy and I don’t feel like having anymore. Good luck. Look forward to following your progress.

• posted by New Kathy
    on

Congratulations on your first week loss Shelby. I also have read about other large first week results, but for me a loss is a loss. I never lose weight easily so as long as the scales record losses I am happy. I have set myself weekly loss targets using a “How Much Weight Loss” calculator on a healthy weight forum website (www.healthyweightforum.org/eng/calculators/weight-loss/ ). I have written down projected goal weights for the next 9 months. When I feel hungry or am tempted to eat something I look at what my weight could be on my birthday (in May) or in 6 months time and I want the future target weight more than eating something now. It’s helping me to also imagine what I could be wearing at important dates in 2017. Good luck this week and thank you for posting.

• posted by kirby
    on

hi,
    dont do kgs but so delighted i have lost 12lbs in week of what i am calling my big belly house diet. sorry terrible play on big brother but it keeps me cheerful !
    expecting less next week but i think this system is really achievable. also i blood pressure has fallen from pre hyper tension to near normal.
    keep the faith.

• posted by SadieOne
    on

Hi All,
    Well done everyone who’s just started the BSD this month, I hope you are finding like I am that it is surprisingly easy. The hunger really does go after day 4 although I find I need to save some calories for a snack at night. I am moving dinner to a later time so I don’t want that snack.
    Week one down and when I weighed in this morning I had lost 1.5 kgs despite going over to 1000 cals on 3 days. I have been struggling a little with the portion sizes but am managing that much better every day. I’ve not been that fantastic on the water drinking either but going to make much more of an effort this week.
    Feeling positive πŸ™‚

• posted by Seaviewjoy
    on

Im a newbie and am really interested in following this diet plan. I like the food on it and luckily i love water. Im going to read the book over the next few days and get my shopping. Meantime i’ll cut down on sugary stuff. The posts here are very helpful. Jean

• posted by Mumofcrazynamedkids
    on

Ooohh glad I found you, got stuck on the January starters thread, but a 9th Jan start is even better.

Hi all, lovely to hear about your first weeks and the more experienced posters and their amazing losses.

I’m Gill, 44, single parent to 2 young kids, lost 5 stone after pregnancy 8 years ago, kept it off for ages, but 2.5 stone has been regained in the last 2 years. I have an underactive thyroid which is medicated with 125mg of thyroxine.

I weighed 13 2 last week, and 12 8 this morning (annoyingly 12 7 yesterday but weighing daily helps me see that those free and easier weekends that I was planning may not give me the rapid weight loss I want!)

So 8 pounds loss in first week is great ( I also think it coincides with my menstrual cycle so is probably a bit elevated as I had my period)

I didn’t count cals over the weekend, and went to 1250 on Friday, and probably similar or a bit higher sat and Sunday with wine on Fri and sat. I need to find a WOE that strikes the right balance between indulging in my favourite pastimes like drinking and socialising and yet remaining healthy.

I didn’t do any exercise last week, other than my usual 9000 steps a day average, so this week I want to start some of the exercises recommended in the book.

Definitely back to strict 800 cals during the week very low carb, no starchy stuff at all, so.although I love sweet potatoes and squash, I am avoiding for the moment.

Homemade broccoli, cauliflower and cheddar soup for dinner last night and lunch today and stuffed peppers planned for dinner.

Hope you are all having great Mondays x

• posted by Eir
    on

Hi to all!
    I started 10th of January and my goal is to loose another 20 kg and end up at 73 kg. So far I have lost 3 kg during my first 6 Days which is probably not only a coincidence. I have a heriditary high cholesterol and my grandfather had diabetes typ 2. Prior to this I tried weight-watchers wich worked ok while I followed the program a couple of years ago to get rid of the weight I put on after my second Childs birth. But I then I gained it back on again…

I have not followed the 800 kcl diet strictly but it seems possible and I am so happy to be back on track again!
    Happy monday to all of you!

• posted by Bombalone
    on

Sounds like everyone is doing REALLY WELL!! Well done everyone! Also it’s encouraging, in a way, that everyone is losing at at different rate, but everyone is losing! It works!!

So it was my 1 week weigh-in today (even though I ummed and erred about whether I should weigh myself at all after slow start). I have lost 3 lbs. Not too bad. Not nearly as exciting as some but it’s a hearty rate at which to loose if I can keep it up. I kept to the 800 every day more or less and I fasted about 3 of the days (no breakfast). So it’s going pretty well. I have always found it hard to loose weight so I will be pleased with 3lbs.

Above all I am feeling very well. Clear headed. Light, in a lovely way, especially in the mornings when I fast. Less obsessed with food (although 6pm hunger strikes hard still) and finding my feet with easy dishes for myself – which I have to prepare in addition to cooking food for the rest of my family, who won’t eat anything I do! They are a fussy lot… So that is an extra challenge/temptation each day. I have a vegan and two carb-loving carnivores to cater for… Give me strength!

Hope everyone is feeling motivated by their first week results – and therefore excited for this second week. If I can loose another 3 or so lbs then I will already be down half a stone. Not bad! It’s not torture and in fact I feel well. Fingers crossed.

Please log in or register to post a reply.