Newbie here

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by SOS
    on

Hi all, this seems like a really friendly, supportive forum reading through all the threads. I am possibly prediabetic and have weight to lose but my journey for help with migraines has led me to the low carb solution. I was going down the keto diet route (popular across the pond) but that was too extreme really. This seems more doable so am keen to get started. Susan

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Welcome Susan. You’ll find lots of support and advice on here. Look forward to hearing how you get on. Lynne

• posted by Janet1973
    on

Its very doable Susan, even pleasant!

• posted by Llisjjs
    on

Hello ‘Newbie’
    I’m a 6 day into the diet newbie. I’ve lost 12lbs in weight already & can’t believe how great I feel on this diet & believe me I’ve tried lots! I was a bit ansy on day 2 but my energy levels have increased tenfold as has my wellbeing.
    Hope all goes well for you & good luck ☺️

• posted by Leeanne
    on

Hello everyone, I’m also a newbie. Just about to start the 8 week diet. Been Type 2 diabetic for 5 years. Hoping to reverse or at least cut down my meds. Lots of tips on here for me. Must admit thst I find any diet really hard!!

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi Leeanne
    I bet you find that this diet is the easiest you have ever followed.
    You just feel so bloody good about yourself, you enjoy dieting,……honest

• posted by Pat.Unlimited
    on

I have to agree with Bill. I CANNOT believe that I complete 3 weeks today, and am not finding it a struggle at all. The first 5 days or so I was a bit ‘hungover’ from Crap Withdrawal, but apart from some quite reasonable hunger pangs here and there I’ve been fine. Not been tempted to cheat and not really missed starchy carbs. My one ‘indulgence’ was last night, when I polished off the core of a cauliflower after dinner!!

• posted by hashimoto
    on

He he, Pat, I had to smile at the core of the cauliflower!!! My son does similar things – a mound of plain iceberg lettuce or a gherkin or two! 🙂

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Leeanne you won’t find this one hard – I promise. Some people are a bit shaky for a couple of days but I haven’t heard anyone complain about hunger ! Good to have you join the crew on here!! 🙂

• posted by Jellitum
    on

Hello everyone. Just started Day 1 this morning having procrastinated long enough with a week or two of just enjoying reading this forum and drooling at your flat bread recipes! I enjoyed (sort of) the 5:2 2 years ago now, slowly lost 8kg, felt great but gradually fell off the wagon until now I’m back where I started! I’m not quite prediabetic, but on the margin now. On the 5:2 I lost an inch or two in most measurements but nothing at all from my tum. Hoping to change that this time as I’ve always known that carbs (toast!) is my enemy. Aiming to lose 15kg of the apple-liest bit of my shape!
    By the way, does anyone know how to stop myfitnesspal subtracting calories used in exercise from those eaten which makes it difficult to track the 800 – perhaps I just shouldn’t bother putting exercise in?

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jellytum, you know that tum will disappear on this diet! I did 5:2 a few years back and found it much mlre difficult than this. Like me i bet you were eating carbs and low fat on 5 days. This is different and so easy.
    I’m old fashioned so i just write what I eat each day in a notebook so can’t help you with the techy stuff. Looking forward to your posts about that tum disappearing – you will have to change your name 😉
    Good luck, you’ll love the changes 🙂

• posted by FoFi
    on

Jellitum – to stop it subtracting your exercise you need to pay £40 per year for the premium or pro version. You could divide by 10 (or some other constant) so that it doesn’t have much impact but you would still have a log of what you have done.

• posted by Jellitum
    on

Thanks Hashimoto. You’re right about carbs and low fat on the 5:2, that’s cheered me up and galvanised my determination! But I might keep my name as a deterrent to fall back into bad habits :/
    For nearly three decades, since ending student days, I have ignored peanut butter as a possible foodstuff. It might be lunch for a few more days before I get bored of it!

Thanks FoFi for the techie tip. I’d be like hashimoto and just note it on paper if I could read my own handwriting.

• posted by FoFi
    on

You can show calories in the report section (as well as net calories) if that is any use.

• posted by Jellitum
    on

That’s fine, thanks. I’m not that hung up on it, just wondered where I’d got an extra 300 calories of allowance from. I just didn’t want to get caught out, but that shouldn’t happen now I know what it does.

• posted by hashimoto
    on

Hi jellytum, i did the same about peanut butter and i love the stuff! That peanut butter dip recipe is so easy for a. Packed lunch as well 🙂

Please log in or register to post a reply.