We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sunshine35
    on

Hi everyone, newbie here 😁
    I’ve wanted to start this diet for the last few years but I guess it’s time now.
    I feel so defeated, I’m only 5.2 and 98kg.
    I’m hoping to stick to this diet until I get to an overweight bmi so about 70 kg.
    If anyone started out around my weight, how much did you lose in the first 8 weeks?
    Hoping for some inspiration 🙏

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Sunshine, although I’m taller than you I started on 124kg, and I’ve done this diet twice – the first time 3 years ago I lost nearly 2st (27lbs) on the first 8 weeks – that’s about what 11kg ish? This time round in 8 weeks I lost 22lbs (8ish kg?) and now am 31lb down in I think 14 weeks, and I’ve had a couple of days completely off plan in that time.

Few tips to getting started – ask as many questions as you want, about anything! There’s tonnes of really experienced people on here and also we are all working out ways of how to do this that fits with our lifestyle and tastes etc. so there’s a wealth of experience. There’s a weekly thread that’s always supportive – look for the one week at a time starting…….threads – this weeks has 23rd March in the title and a new one is started every Monday evening.

The first few days you might feel a bit rough as you’ll lose a lot of fluids and you might get carb withdrawal – headaches, feeling a bit weak and wobbly etc. This passes I promise so stick with it, drink lots and lots of water, add some extra salt to your food for a few days, make sure to include plenty of healthy fats to keep you full. Don’t panic if you fall off the wagon, we’ve literally all done it and all of us are still standing! Just move on to the next meal!

Plan some super delicious meals to look forward to because you’ll feel less deprived that way!

Stick to low carb – most of us aim for less than 50g a day, some go as low as 20g. Most of us use an app to track this – my fitness pal, fatsecret are common ones used. Moderate protein – 0.6g – 0.8g per kg of target weight a day – that’s 42g – 56g for your target weight, and plenty of healthy fat like full fat Greek yoghurt, avocado, nuts, seeds, olive oil etc.

Don’t try to do too much exercise the first week or so, and ease into it if and when you do – exercise has much less of an effect on weight loss as people think.

You are likely to have a really great loss the first couple of weeks – THIS DOESNT LAST!!! You lose loads of water in the first couple of weeks and then go over to fat burning which is slower – each lb of fat is 3500 calories! So don’t panic if your loss slows to a lb or so a week, that’s normal, and don’t panic if you plateau – that’s normal too. Take measurements before you start so you can track that too, and not just hips, waist and bust, measure your arms, legs etc. Take photos if you can bear it so you can track progress that way. Look for non scale victories – for example yesterday I realised my engagement ring is now too big, so although weight wise I’ve not lost much in a couple of weeks I am obviously losing somewhere!

Just shout if you need help, you can do this!

Lauren x

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi just popping by to say hello to a fellow sunshine, we are a happy sunny lot. Cant be of much help as I was a slow loser and in 8 weeks only lost around 18lbs. Not massive loss compared to some but I am injecting insulin every day and they say for every x number of units of insulin you either gain or stick at x number of pounds. So I was battling against my medication all the way and consider myself a winner.
    Others have lost less and some have lost tons more. It depends on so many things, some you have already mentioned like height, starting weight, have you been on a weight loss plan in the last 6 months (this can slow you down as your body is used to dieting), how strict you are, how many calories, are you cutting out all white starchy carbs and so on. The list goes on. You have decided the time is right for you and if you read through posts on here you will know this diet works and can be quite dramatic to start with. You will also notice things either slow down or stop at some point and you have to battle through that disappointment. That is probably when people give up. It is really up to you but there is lots of support here so just shout out if you need help, a hug or bragging rights.
    Good luck.

• posted by Sunshine35
    on

Hi Lauren, thank you so much. You gave me a lot of fantastic advice, I appreciate it xxx

• posted by Sunshine35
    on

Hi Sunshine girl 🌞
    Ha ha
    Thank you so much. I want to stick with it no matter how long it takes!
    Anything is better than this xxx

• posted by florob85
    on

You’re welcome sunshine! Just shout if you need anything, and I forgot to say before, don’t be afraid of the full fat dairy – it’s more filling, in the case of carbs it’s lower carbs than low fat, and it’s less tart than low fat (yoghurt I mean). The only full fat dairy I don’t eat is whole milk because it’s revolting to me (never been a milk lover!) but full fat all the way otherwise

Please log in or register to post a reply.