New to the 8 week fast diet can any body Help?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by George103
    on

My wife and I will starting the 8 week fast 800 calories diet, we just need to know if we can use Flora proactive (olive oil) butter instead of butter as I am lactose intolerant, when yogurt is mentioned is this low fat? The salsa recipe is there one? And can we use alternative meal plans in the 4 week plan as long as they 800 calories or do we need to strictly follow It? Any assistance will be greatly appreciated. Philip & Sheila.

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hello George
    If you are dairy intolerent I don’t see a problem as long as you read the label on the Flora and understand the sugar and carb content, this should be counted in your daily allowance.
    Yoghurt should be full fat, Greek is best, as low fat yogs do tend to have added sugars.
    Salsa I’m not sure about but someone will be along who does know, it’s how the forum works, we all do our best to support each other and there is now a wealth of knowledge to be found here.
    Alternative meals are no problem at all, most folk have learned to adapt their usual recipes to low carb and sugar versions.
    Two very important points, you MUST increase your fat intake and you MUST drink a minimum of 2 – 3 litres of non sugary liquids per day, if you don’t the weight loss can stall.
    Start off by reducing the carbs, most folk try to stick to 50g or less per day, then, when you get over the withdrawal symptoms ( yes they are real) after about a week, start looking at the calories.
    Best of luck to the two of you on this exciting journey, and, if you have any questions or problems, just shout out. The BSD global family are always here to help.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi george103,
    Keep to 50 g carbs, (fat secret app will tell you the carb content of all foods) 800 calories, although if you keep to 50carbs or under you will still lose weight.
    Do not use Any low fat products, you need fat to lose weight, yes it’s counter intuitive! trust me though, I had the same problem when I started, lots of people on this forum to give you help and advice, don’t hesitate to ask the question, someone will respond, they are great people.
    I’m not sure about the flora, I wouldn’t touch it! that’s just a matter of taste though, again someone will give you a better answer to that one?
    Recipes for salsa, look in the recipes, at the top of the page, there might be one for salsa.
    Try and get fage total yogurt, not the 0% one though, it’s lower in carbs, it’s in a big squat tub, not a tall one, and it is lovely and creamy!
    I hope I’ve covered everything? Good luck and keep posting!
    Christine

• posted by Izzy
    on

Hi, the others have covered your other q’s. So here is a recipe I love for tomato salsa

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1626/grilled-tomato-salsa.aspx?o_is=LV

You do have to be careful with this because tomatoes are quite carby, and salsa is yummy, so what I do is I make it and then tub it up in portion sizes that fit with the carbs I’m willing to spend.
    Good luck and welcome 🙂

• posted by MikeC
    on

Hi Phil & Sheila ,
    You wont need butter if you dont eat bread . Try & cut almost all carbs out if you want results. Everytime you eat carbs your body retains fluid & up goes your weight. Instead of pasta we have Zuchini spirals made with a veggetti. It looks like pasta tastes great & low calories.
    Read the labels on your yogurt low fat is high in Sugar exactly what you ate trying to avoid. We use greek style natural yogurt not low fat just plain old yogurt your label should tell how many calories per 100 gm serve.
    We try and fast 2 days a week where we only have a coffee for breakfast & a cup a soup for dinner. Sounds harsh but it shrinks your stomach so the rest of the week your tiny meals fill you right up. Salsa just cook up some onion ,tomato , capsicum , chille. Garlic maybe some Zuchini cook in a pan and stir add salt , pepper to taste. Experiment you dont need a recipe its what you have & what you like. We are 5 weeks in I have lost 11 kilos & my wife 6 .
    We have blown out a couple of times & had some beers & wine etc but if you get back to the diet you can be on track within 2 days.
    Dont give up you will love the new you.

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi mikeC,
    You definitely won’t need butter for bread, however you can use butter for cooking!
    Sounds like you have got the diet up and running especially good that you are both doing it, wish I could say that about my family!
    I also fast a couple of days, although mine is slightly different, I only have a tea first thing then a small lunch and evening meal with water, then at supper I have another hot drink before bed.
    Have you tried the FARGE yogurt it’s lovely and creamy and lower in carbs than other yogurts?
    Christine

• posted by MikeC
    on

Hi Christine,
    No havnt tried the farge yogurt. Havent seen it on shelves here. I did google it and found this.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com.au/entry/greek-yogurt-lawsuit_n_5521670.html?section=australia
    So that maybe why .lol
    I use olive oil in cooking but do love a dolop of butter on a plate of vegies without potatoes though.
    I buy a bit of diet tonic water no calories & i can pretend im having a gin n tonic .
    Let me know how you progress .
    Mike

• posted by Christi1948
    on

Hi MikeC,
    Ah you live in Australia, sorry didn’t realise, of course.
    I love olive oil, I used to use coconut oil, however my daughter, who is living with us while she retraines from a job she hated to something she loves, a no brainier really, well she doesn’t like the flavour, she says it taints all the food!
    I use butter when I do omelettes, mmm they are lovely too.
    I don’t drink really, the occasional glass of wine with dinner on a Sunday, sometimes when we are out for a meal too, otherwise I drink tea, instant! coffee, and water, my family despair of me being so ordinary!
    I have been doing the diet for 22weeks, I have lost 33lbs I have had a lot of problems with ill health, and a few holidays and celebrations that got in the way for a couple of months, then we go to France on Sunday to stay with my brother, we will be going to see the Tour de France for a couple of days with him, so there will be problems eating well there!
    We look after three of our grandchildren here, then we go to Sheffield for three days to look after two there, we come back for the weekend then head off to Scotland to look after four there! well three really the eldest is nearly 19! so we are kept busy and I’m kept on my toes trying to make the diet fit in with all the comings and goings!
    Here’s hoping you do a lot better than me, with your doing the diet with your other half. Good luck and keep posting.
    Christine

Please log in or register to post a reply.