New here. Have a question

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Twoshots92
    on

I as diagnosed in late 2021 with a a1c of 9.6. I am 120lbs overweight. If I lose weight will my readings go back to normal after having something sugary. They jump up to like 280 if I have a piece of chocolate cake. In other words do I have to stay away from sugar my whole life or can my body get back to acting like a non diabetic. I also have a fatty liver.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi 2shots
    That is one ‘huge’ question.
    I was diagnosed with T2 in 2011, found the BSD and this way of eating in 2016. My T2 has been in remission since at least mid 2017 if not earlier. I followed my doctors advice and reduced my metformin, highest dose, gradually, so in truth I think I ‘normalised’ my BS much earlier.
    So….. the research says ‘lose 10%’ of your body weight.
    But regulating T2 is more about cutting down on carbs(sugar) than anything else.
    The jury is out about whether T2 can be ‘cured’. It would seem, from what I have read, that if we have T2 then we will always have to stay away from refined/manufactured carbs ….. bread, rice, potatoes, pasta, sugar.
    In saying that once you have your HbA1c within the normal range then you can have the odd ‘treat’ but I’m not sure ‘chocolate cake’ would be the best choice. In saying that a piece or 2 of 70%+ ( the higher the better) chocolate is fine.
    This is maybe a difficult way of eating to get your head around initially but once you have, and your blood sugar comes back to normal levels, you probably won’t want that chocolate cake.
    Enjoy your journey back to normal blood sugars!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Twoshots. Good info from Verano but to be even blunter – yes your BG will shoot up after chocolate cake, anyones would. Difference between a ‘normal’ person and a T2 is the non diabetics reading would drop back down to normal in a couple of hours. The T2 would not get back into a good reading for several days. As an example, like everyone else I had a few treats over Christmas and New Year. I never eat sweet treats but had some of the things I love like pork pie and lashings of cheese and wine. It is now early March and my BG reading have only just gone back down to what they were pre-Christmas. You have to accept that sugar is an actual poison to T2’s. However, you talk about chocolate cake – are you also aware that a dish of breakfast cereal will have the same effect as a slice of cake. Or that pasta, rice, potatoes – any starchy carbs will have a very similar effect.

Why dont you stay with us on this plan – which one are your doing – I recommend you read Dr Mosleys The 8 Week Blood Sugar Diet rather than his other books like the 500 or Keto plans. This gives you all the info you need to understand what is happening to your body as a diabetic and how the diet can seriously improve your life.

Yes you will have to avoid sugar for the rest of your life, but now also starchy carbs. Yes it is hard but it is really worth it. Just because of what I have said that your BG reading will still be high on eating cake, is not a reason to not bother to lose the weight. Please read some good info on T2 like the Dr Mosley book. That is your starting place and the weight loss and health improvements will follow.

Let us know if you need any help.

• posted by Twoshots92
    on

Thanks everyone for responding. I guess I was confused but I thought DR. Taylor and the Newcastle diet had some patients that cured their diabetes? Thanks again

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi. Prof. Taylor’s patients put their T2 into ‘remission’ or ‘reversed’ their diabetes rather than ‘cured’ it. His book ‘Living without Diabetes’ is a really good read. I would definitely recommend you read it.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Yes 2shots, you can ‘get rid’ of the diabetes in terms of getting back into normal numbers without drugs but you still have to be diet controlled. Think of it like a smoker. You stop completely, your health improves, lungs are clear, no coughing etc. You are a non-smoker. Then you have a cigarette while out with smoking friends, then another, and you are a smoker again. You might get away with the odd ciggie (or in our terms – sweet treat) but if you go back to your old ways you will be back where you started. But hopefully by then you will have lost the weight.

Try to concentrate on doing one thing right now and that is eating more healthily and getting rid of the starchy carbs, no sugars either and a limited number of calories (you decide on what you can do). This will help with the weight loss and the diabetes numbers. Just one thing and that is that rapid weight loss can drop fat from around the organs and this also has the knock on effect on your diabetic numbers.

Keep talking to us. We want you to do this. Both Verano and I are long term on this diet and, although it is not always easy, we have seen great improvements in our health.

Please log in or register to post a reply.