Myfitnesspal

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Toofastblack
    on

I am halfway through week 5 and am finding my myfitnesspal app – which I’ve used for years – as invaluable.

Even more so since I just discovered some wonderful person has loaded a lot of the 8 week BSD recipes into the database!

Until today I’d been Barcode scanning and creating from ingredients lists. This is much more easy. Especially since I was trying to build up from scratch corguette lasagne that is for tonight. Myfitnesspal just assumed it was pasta based lasagne with courgettes as part of the ragu. Courgetti bolognaise a much better fit.

Thank you.

• posted by Saelaine
    on

Well done Toofastblack, I also use and love MyFitnessPal but I do have a question some may be able to help with.

MyFitnessPal allows you to enter 800 cals as a daily goal and to split that goal up with percentages for Carbs, Fat and Protein.

From reading the book and some amateur assumptions and calculations I have come up with
    carbs 25% = 50g, fat 50% = 44g and protein 25% = 50g and I’d really like someone to verify this is correct?

Once we can correctly enter these goals MFP reports on them, it’s really great.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

Hi Saelaine,
    That sounds about right to me, and pretty much where my average daily totals are ( using a different app).
    Sometimes my protein and fat swap places lol but it all works out by the end of the week. 🙂
    Have you started the BSD yet, and if so how are you doing on it?

• posted by Olliepops
    on

I’m struggling slightly, 5w5d, total loss 14lbs which is good but not sparkling like so many others. I still have 18lbs to go.
    I’ve been using my fitness pal and sticking to 800cals per day. It’s great people have put in the calories of, as far as I can see, all the receipes. But, I’m wondering if I’m eating too many carbs and not enough fat or protein, I only lost 1lb last week and with the exception of 1 bad day and a bottle of fizzy wine, have stuck to it, plus a step class, Zumba and kettle bells. Feeling a bit disheartened……
    Thoughts?

• posted by Toofastblack
    on

14 pounds is not to be sneezed at – better gone than not!

My only suggestion would be to repeat my pre BSD myfitnesspal experience. I’ve used it for years, and rarely achieved the weight loss the energy in/out calculation would indicate.

What the intense focus on 800 has shown me is the importance of portion size. I now reckon it was materially over the portion estimates I was putting into the app. Weigh your food or someway better calculate portions.

It might be more that you’re taking in more calories than the you realise…

In terms of mix of macros – the app will work it out for you. If you’re on the iPhone app, go to the “more” tab, then “nutrition” – gives you daily / weekly breakdowns by macros nutrients (which incidently shows me I need to eat more fibre) and calories by meal (this week dinner was 49% of my calories, with 14% snacks – so I think I need to eat more at lunch, as the potential for hunger to overcome discipline at night is high!)

Good luck. And again, -14 is better than zero. Hang in there!

• posted by Saelaine
    on

Soz for delay, I posted this important (to me) question then merrily forgot about it.

Gday Cherianne – thanks for the confirmation on the breakup of the 800 cals, which I think is super important. If you just try to stick to 800 cals without checking carbs I believe it doesnt work. Sticking to 50g carbs a day I am finding quite difficult since there are unexpected carbs in lost of things, like low cal foods etc, so just doing 800 cals isnt enough IMHO. I have started but faltered and am about to restart, I lost 2Kg in the first week when I was being super good so I know it works.

Hi Toofastblack – yes the app does work it out but it gets the wrong breakup, as above, you need to adjust that in the settings/goals.

Well done Olliepops but I do understand. Although 14lbs is really fantastic, and should not be ignored, I do understand your expectations. I can only suggest that you look at the carbs, they are hidden often, and this is really a low-carb low calorie diet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.