MyFitnessPal macros

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by HelenD
    on

Hi. I’m on my 3rd day of BSD and logging all food on mfp – so good so far. Does anyone know what are the ideal macros for protein/fat/carbs? I’d like to update the percentage split in my app so I can see if I’m getting the right balance. Perhaps someone who’s a few weeks down the line and getting successful results could share their stats. Thanks folks.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Helen
    I’ve set mine st 30% carbs and 35% for each of fat and protein.
    Can’t remember now how I came to this conclusion!
    Penny

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi again Helen
    I’d like to friend you on MFP – great you’re interested in those sort of details!
    Penny

• posted by HelenD
    on

Hi Penny. Happy to link up on MFP. So far I’m not much different from your suggested stats so I’ll use those for now. Day 5 and not doing too badly but nearer 900 average than 800. Need to be good at the weekend!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Helen
    Great.
    Penny
    PS
    My user name on MFP is pmshrink, you could friend me.

• posted by HelenD
    on

Hi Penny. I’m 4lbs down after week one. Hoping I can maintain this going forwards. Motivated for week 2!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Helen
    That’s really good.
    I’m down 5 1/2 lb in 14 days.
    2 1/2″ off waist.
    Penny

• posted by CrescentMoon
    on

Hi, I’m having the same issues with working out my macros. I’m not sure how low the carbs should be! It’s nice to find other geeks who are bothered by this!
    This is my first day of BSD but I have experimented with MFP in the past.
    Today I’ve had an apple with pure peanut butter (WAY too much because I didn’t realise my scales were on the ounces setting, not grams, until too late: facepalm and no lunch) and I’m about to make the aubergine, lamb and pomegranate dinner from the book. This all works out at just under 800 cals, 67% fat, 22% protein and 11% carbs. Do you reckon this is way off what it should be? I did a sort of trial day last week and the macros were pretty similar- feels like too much fat.

How are you guys achieving such an even balance? Where are you getting your carbs?

• posted by Lolo
    on

Hey – sounds like you guys are doing great! I have my macros set to Carbs 25%, Protein 30% and Fats 45%. Seems to be working so far- but it’s early days. Just finishing day 3 & not having any side effects like headaches or anything. Think that is because of the bucket loads of hot water I’m drinking (replaced tea and coffee with just hot water – a surprisingly easy switch which is actually as satisfying!) and also I think because I add the odd teaspoon of olive oil to my breakfast and dinner this helps me with energy from fat. But we’ll see – 3lb down so far 🙂

• posted by CrescentMoon
    on

UPDATE:

Just found this incredibly useful tool.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com

Bearing in mind the similarities between the BSD and ketogenic diet, I googled “macros ratio keto”.

When you input all of your details, the calculator works out your minimum and maximum carbohydrate and protein needs. You choose a number in between. It then asks you to set a calorie goal- whatever is left over is your recommended fat intake. Based on these numbers, it works out your macronutrient percentages.

Hope this helps! Best of luck to both of you!

xx

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Crescentmoon
    I just had a go at that calculation. If I did it for a year I’d be 7 stone! ( those were the days…)
    It also tol me 800 cals is too hard to do – wrong!
    My results were
    12% carb which is 25 g
    35% protein which is 70 g (!)
    53% fat which is 48 g
    Not what I’d put in MFP which was about 30% ish each. But usually fat turns out higher, which maybe I should change. What results did you get?
    I’m going to put this on the ‘useful links’ thread.
    Thanks! Fun to do.
    Penny

• posted by CrescentMoon
    on

Hi Penny,
    Can’t remember my exact results because MFP wanted me to round it to the nearest 5%.
    So roughly:
    Carbs 15%
    Protein 45% (87g!!!)
    Fat 40%

But so far, using the recipes in the book, protein is more around the 25% mark, fat around 65% and carbs only 10ish%.
    This is only based on two days of data though!

Sounds like yours is pretty similar so I feel reassured! I definitely don’t feel hungry at all so that must be a good sign that my body is getting what it needs. Couldn’t even eat all my chicken and walnut lettuce cups for lunch today! Full up!

800 cals a day is definitely do-able!

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Crescentmoon
    In terms of just eating, I m trying to keep carbs down, fat up and protein in the middle. This is because we ve all spent years trying to keep carbs up and fat down. It’s an effort to change that mind set. It’s as though fat is evil and carbs of no consequence. Now we know it’s the other way round!
    Penny

• posted by ellen915
    on

I’m also trying to figure out my macros on my fitness pal. Thanks for the discussion. I am in the same boat with Penny, trying to reverse years of high carbs and low fat. ugh.

• posted by Leksie5000
    on

Any progress on this? I posted another topic but found this.

• posted by Curlybyjurly
    on

Hi . Im just starting and hit the same issue with my fitness pal. Great that I could read all these previous post. Just checking in if any more thoughts on what to put in my fittness pal to balance out the percentatges and needs for macronutrients?

Please log in or register to post a reply.