MyFitnessPal: Goal – food + exercise = OK or not?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by BloodSugarDaddy
    on

If you’re trying to Fast 800 and logging via MFP are you allowed your exercise adjustment or is the idea to limit your calorie intake to only 800 regardless of exercise done?

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

My understanding is that it’s 800 calories per day, and you should ignore any allowances for exercise which MFP advises.

When you think about it, MFP won’t let you log a day at 800 calories anyway! I use it for the components of the food and more accurate measuring of calories.

• posted by neohdiver
    on

@igorasusual – you can log at 800 calories on MFP. The only thing you can’t do at 800 calories is “complete” the diary entry without getting a scolding response. But it adds in your exercise calories, tallies up your daily calories, etc.

@bloodsugardaddy – it is 800 gross calories. You don’t get to net exercise calories into the equation.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Thank you neohdiver – have fiddled about with MFP and made it use my 800 calories – thank you!

• posted by BloodSugarDaddy
    on

Thanks for the replies – quite hard keeping under 800 everyday but if I can do it a couple of times a week and stick to low carb/med then I hope it’ll work out for me

• posted by Athorn223
    on

Hi Bloodsugardaddy. I’m going into my third week. A little background on me – I lost 30 lbs through diet, walking uphill and weightlifting before I started this diet. I’ve lost an additional 10 lbs in two weeks on this diet. Week one I was strict at around 850 calories per day and somehow I still had the energy to walk 20-30 minutes 4 times and lost 7 lbs. Week 2 was rough for me. I struggled to stay around 930 calories and I didn’t have the energy to exercise at all and I only lost 3 lbs. I asked the same question about this diet and exercise when I first started because I just couldn’t see myself going 8 weeks or more without working out. Hopefully I’ll regain that energy this week and I’ll try to walk at least 3 times this week. I believe exercising helped get me those great results week one. If you have the energy do it! I didn’t eat those calories back and I saw great results.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Bloodsugardaddy
    Never thought of eating the calories back and I’m going to an Indoor cycling class this morning and playing a doubles tennis match this afternoon. I’m 63 and still a stone overweight. I’m on my 15th Week of BSD and have lost over 2 stones.
    Mostly good about sticking to 800 calories a day but I have strayed a bit when I’ve been away on holiday or for special occasions.
    For me personally exercising on 800 calories seems ok. Initially I struggled in intense classes near the end but think that was BS related.
    Hard to advise anyone else.This is very individual but if you cut calories even a bit you will lose weight anyway.
    Igorasusual I always add 300 extra pretend calories as snacks in myfitnesspal so it will calculate my potential weight loss in 5 weeks.
    The exercise you do in a day certainly shows a big difference in the results it calculates.

• posted by joosterhoff
    on

Hi all,
    I’m only in week 2 but also concerned about exercise calories. I do a LOT of exercise, some sessions burning 700 calories in a class. So on an intake of 800, burning 700+ before breakfast is a bit of an ask. My decision so far has been to limit the intensity of my exercise and burn only up to 500 per day while I’m in the first 8 weeks. If I really want to do a class, and burn 700+ calories, I bump up my daily allowance to 1000 to compensate.
    I guess we’re all different, but this seems to work for me so far!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

That’s a good idea ay caramba – fooling My Fitness Pal with phantom snacks!

Will investigate, though I’m not so worried about its forecast really, I can see now that if I keep the carbs low (20gms per day is my target – although I’m making sure not to lose too many veg as I love them) the weight will go. Not so much sign on the scales yet, but I can see from my body shape that it’s moving…..next thing is what someone (sorry can’t remember who) referred to as the belly wodge. Will be very pleased to see that disappearing, as surely it must.

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi joosterhoff.
    Just back from Indoor cycling (Spin class) which has some good HIIT training in it.
    Can’t seem to register that activity on my Fitbit. Don’t know why??? It currently reads that I have burned 944 calories today so far.
    MFP allows 377 calories for 45mins of this kind of class.
    My pulse rate went up over 140bpm some of the time but my resting pulse is now 54bpm.
    I am not super athletic but I will be playing a game of tennis this afternoon and was thinking of doing an extra class for the first time tonight. I have had no problem with my exercise regime and the 800 calories of BSD but burning 700+ in one class sounds HUGE and well out of my range!!!!!!!! Not sure if my info helps????

Igorasusual…..You can also fool MFP by inputting false data on food and drink then deleting the entry. Really good to check on the effect of drinking that glass of wine. What would the results be like if I’d eaten that chocolate or if I hadn’t done that long walk???
    The exercise seems to make a large difference in the weight loss predictions.

Spookily I started using MFP 5 weeks ago and it has successfully predicted my current weight loss.!!!

Please log in or register to post a reply.