My weigh in accountability – Plumptious " mark2".

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Having now achieved my original goal of getting into the normal range of BMI , I know that I will never return to my old ways of eating.
    That said , because life is busy and things can creep up on you when you are looking the other way there is a small possibility that I may add weight so have decided to weigh myself daily as that is what I have been doing first thing in the morning and also keep my records daily too in my notebook.
    I will continue to log in here once a week to record figures as this will help keep me accountable to myself. I will continue until the last day of this year and then re-assess.
    I am really happy with the weight loss, change in shape etc but have a few loose wobbly bits still and feel that a few more pounds will naturally come off if I keep within all the parameters I set myself.
    I plan to keep up the walking and also do a weekly swim (proper commitment on the calendar-there are 3 over 50’s sessions that I can utilize at times that fit in with my pattern of daily life). Longer term I plan to not renew my “my fitness pal account” once the annual renewal date is near but will download/photocopy lots of the days and make them into a little magazine/book to use as an aide memoire.
    Can’t decide which day of the week I will commit to yet as I have a lot on at the moment so will look at the year planner and start soon.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Good for you, Plumptious, in reaching your BMI target. For the past few days I, too, have finally made it into the healthy range of the BMI (admittedly, the very top end) – just need to lose a few more pounds so I’m in safer territory & give myself a bit of wriggle room! Having a plan is good. Like you, I’m going to keep weighing myself daily to keep myself on the path of healthiness. And, after six years of not swimming, next week I plan to dip my toe into the local pool – I used to be a regular swimmer and am ashamed of myself for letting it slide.
    I am determined not to slip back into old bad habits.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Congratulations Plumptious and RozyDozy πŸ˜ƒπŸ’πŸ’

May I join you?

I’ve also hit my healthy BMI. Like you Rozy it was the top end, but I have lost a few more pounds since then and will probably lose a few more to give me the famous wriggle room.

I still weigh myself every morning and record everything in my notebook. For the last few weeks I’ve experimented with recording food but not counting calories while still staying low-carb.

It’s difficult to fit anything regular into my life because of my work, but I walk as often as possible. I did look into swimming lessons, but the classes locally are full at the moment.

Like you both I’m determined not to go back to my old ways!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi Rozydozy and Captainlynne!
    Hugely well done both of you. I don’t know how to incorporate icons etc otherwise I would do!!
    Ah the swimming…used to pose a lot of problems for me in the past . I am able to swim but never enjoyed doing it as I felt people were staring at me…I couldn’t pull myself sedately out of the water up the little steep metal steps at the sides to get out and can only imagine the frankly dreadful sight of very large posterior to anyone unfortunate enough to catch an eyeful from water level EEEEkkk.
    The cozzies are limited in choice and frumpy for big girls and as I need one with a mastectomy type pocket in it ,cost a mortgage, so even though I forced myself to go earlier this year I can’t say it was wonderful. However I now have a different way of looking at it….yes, I have wobbly bits, yes, will never have the figure of Daisy Lowe, but guess what- I totally accept that YES! I am a granny, YES, I am as fit as a butchers dog, and YES there are lots of folk in the graveyard who would willingly swap places with me, so I have to get on with it and see it as a positive thing and investing n my own future health, wellbeing and the most thing of all – long term independence.
    Captain Lynne you don’t have to ask to join us ….you are automatically most welcome. (So is anyone else reading this….the more the merrier!)
    How is the recording of food but not necessarily the exact calories going….I am guessing your brain and eye are good at perceiving the portion size?
    I find myself automatically looking at the calendar to see where we need to be out at events/church do/appointments away from our locality and plan those days more closely “food wise” to ensure we don’t come unstuck. Also I freeze a few portions of things such as the cauliflower and cannellini bean soup so that if we do have unexpected changes to daily routines or delays getting home we can just pull something out and do “defrost & ding” meal.
    As you say Lynne it’s now a healthy way of life and not a diet. Quite a statement from me ….someone who loves Marks & Spencer food hall and Indian takeaway food. I think our old fave restaurant may have gone bankrupt lol!
    I am going to use Sunday morning weight as a weekly benchmark and I will post either Sundays or Mondays. This week sees a further 2lb drop….so now am 10 st,3lb.
    When I told my beloved I was over the line a few days ago, he replied…”No love ,you are definitely under it!”

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi *waves*

After 3 years of swimming lessons at school I still couldn’t swim. A friend taught me many years later – but I’be completely forgotten how to swim now! What I did learn is that I pull myself through the water with my arms, my legs didn’t do much work at all😱

I was once sent for physiotherapist in the pool at the hospital, but they bared me after two sessions – I was so tense I was aggravating the condition they were supposed to be helping😱

It seemed so much trouble, all the getting undressed and dressed! And I should admit to being scared of the water. I love being by it, or on it. But in it😱 My grandmother drowned when I was small. So perhaps that had a subconscious effect on me. Plus, while I could swim, I was swimming in a square pool with a 10′ deep centre. Going across it. When a man with a fierce crawl swam at right angles, leaving a huge wash behind him. I mistimed it, got caught in the ‘waves’ behind him and dropped like a stone. Fortunately my friend grabbed the straps of my costume and dragged me out. Needless to say it put me off! But I know it’s good exercise. Now it’s not the size of the costume, it’s the ‘old lady’ arms and legs!

I’ve not venture too far away from what I was eating. Hopefully I overestimate many portion sizes now, rather then underestimate them.

For me, it helps that I only eat morning and evening. It makes me less anxious about being faced with food situations during the day. And I always have something BSD friendly in the fridge to grab the minute I walk in, if necessary. Like you, Plumptious, I think my local takeaways have gone out of business!

My official weighing day is Saturday.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Just checking in with weight today of 9 stone, down 3 pounds from last week. Total of 7 stone now lost 😱

Hope everyone is ok.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi All.
    Oooh Captain Lynne if you keep going down at this rate you will probably be only half the woman you used to be by Advent lol!
    How are you doing rozydozy?
    Things still going in the right direction here. I have incorporated slightly more items into my weekly allowance to see what would happen. One gluten free crumpet (long story) , two glasses of prosecco, half a large banana, small bar of “eat natural” fruit & nut bar with dark chocolate in it and macadamia nuts and cranberries (yum!!!). This was spread over the whole week and not more than one item per day. I did it this way so I could see the resulting spikes if there were going to be any by looking at my daily weight first thing in the morning.
    I didn’t put any on at all , and happy to report a pound and three quarter drop.
    That means if things go well this week and I can shift a little more I will go through the “third of my starting weight barrier”.
    I also don’t ever remember being under 10 stone in my life. We didn’t have weighing scales when I was growing up.
    Hope everyone has a good week.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Hi Plumptious *waves*

Well done πŸ˜ƒ You’re doing really well. Looking forward to seeing you go through that barrier ‘.

If I go down another two pounds it’ll be a loss of 100 pounds😱 Remembering the celebrations at slimming clubs when folk have lost 100 pounds! Some things just stick in your mind!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Morning all, Captain Lynne & Rozydozy.
    Hope you are all ok.
    well I finally got through the 10 stone barrier… now 9, 13 and quarter of a pound lol! I have been careful but not “exact weighing of salad “careful. I went to a vegan festival in Manchester on Saturday with a friend and as well as a full portion of delicious healthy veg soup had quite a few free samples of yummy treats, vegan cheese replacement products, chocolate and raw flapjack but only small tastes of each. Clocked up over 8,000 steps walking around the city centre so all in all a good day and it felt normal to me, in the past my brain would have told me I had missed a proper meal and carb craving would have definitely ensured I pigged out on something or other. So a third of my starting bodyweight gone. (5 stone) BMI is now 23.8. right in the centre of the healthy range for me. Happy days.
    Not good at maths but I think 5 stone is 70lb….I will never achieve Captainlynnes fantastic amount of loss because although a few pounds would be ok -I think another 30 and I would look haggard….the skin on my face and neck is much smoother and more refined but has gone “delicate” for want of a better word and showing more tiny lines and wrinkles ( I knew there would be a possibility of this happening…..after all you can’t expect a balloon that has ben blown up tightly for a long time to be let down a little and not go baggy /wrinkly can you lol !)
    Still have the belly wodge but its much smaller now and will settle for that. The one thing I have acquired is a set of cheekbones!! I can feel them and also see them in the mirror.
    I am really pleased with my transformation in 6 months. I plan to grow old disgracefully but slowly as poss!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Plumptious Mk2 & Lynne,
    Sorry didn’t see your previous messages – I’ve been sidetracked by a few things and only just got back to looking at the forums when I saw my handle in Plumptious’ latest posting.

Plumptious, Congrats on making it below the 10st line!!!! I still dream of that happy day – I am still hovering just above the 10st mark but still within the Healthy section of the BMI. Am trying recipes from the new BSD recipe book, along with some plain chocolate (maybe that’s why I’ve not broken into 9st territory – durr, you think! Unfortunately, I’m a sucker for a 1/2 price offer…). Like your baggy balloon analogy!

In my last post on this thread I mentioned starting up swimming again – well, I finally managed it. Have been a couple of times now – a bit out of practice & sticking to the slow lane but the stamina is still there. I’m no Michael Phelps!

Lynne, sorry to read about your traumas with things aquatic. I’m a bit like that with diving – there was always a desperate struggle to reach the surface! Swimming is not everyone’s cup of tea. I like it because I can exercise & not overheat (getting too hot usually gives me a headache), which is why it was so daft of me to let things slip for 6 years. But if I get back into a routine then I’ve got an alternative to walking in cold/wet/windy winter weather.

Ta ta for now,
    Rose

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Many congrats on the fantastic loss you’re a new woman and proof it can be done it’s great to hear such bold successes. I wonder if your skin will settle down over the next few months ?

I have a way to go to reach my healthy BMi but will keep chugging along I’m halfway there having lost 61 lbs kind of downhill from now!πŸ˜€I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes a year in total. There are days I would like to wave a magic wand and be done. I’m off to see the orthopaedic consultant this week a bit nervous as I am expecting a knee replacement to be on the cards but walking is more and more painful so it is time. Has anyone had one?

Congrats again and enjoy !

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Great results Plumptious πŸ˜ƒπŸ’. I’m with you on growing old disgracefully (and slowly). As in “When I am old I will wear purple”!

Rose – I found keep trying to get into swimming. It would be good for me😱 Who knows – one day!

Angiebabe- best wishes for your hospital appointment πŸ’

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Ok so it’s good news and bad news

The bad is I need both my knees replaced but the surgeon gives me confidence😟 Still feeling a bit freaked though need time to adjust to the reality

The good news is When they weighed me on the hospital scales I was 7 lbs lighter than at home and I was fully dressedπŸ˜€Of course that could be a bonus of private medicine!

• posted by Natalie
    on

That’s scary Angiebabe. I hope everything goes really well and you end up more comfortable and mobile. Well done on the extra weight loss – you know it’s likely that the hospital scales are more accurate than your home ones so you’re lighter than you think!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi All.
    Happy Sunday! Hope you are all chipping away at whatever your personal aim is.
    Not a bad week here. Bit of gardening , bit of walking and a bit extra fruit eaten along the week. Result was I went down to 9st 11lb during the week but crept up a smidge again and todays weigh -in was 9, 12…..so all in all still lost just over a pound without trying too hard.
    I am still trying to get over to some friends and family that this a way of life now and no longer ” on a diet”…..I think they are waiting for me to start taking up offers of cake/biccies/staying for meals when I visit etc. I am planning how to start planting seeds in their minds that Christmas gifts really can’t contain chocolates, sweets , highly calorific eatable gifts and similar things that they used to buy me (and I was delighted about in the past ). I don’t want to appear ungrateful or unappreciative and really don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. Same goes for my birthday which isn’t far away. My beloved is completely on board at least so that is something positive. We have agreed not to buy each other “items” and instead will have a joint event /concert/outing of some sort instead.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Yesterday I was just over 9 stone 11 and have teetered between 11 pounds and 12 pounds all week.
    Have had a couple of pieces of gluten free cake (No flour at all) and didn’t do huge amounts of exercise so am pleased with that.
    I am concentrating on keeping up my levels of green leafy veg and lots of lower carb ones too and am still taking a fish oil tablet and a multi vitamin pill every day. Still feel great.
    I had wholemeal porridge on a couple of mornings during the week but was careful to weigh out the 30g recommended serving and made it with water. Mixed in a small amount of raisins and a spoon of flaxseed…. I WILL learn to love it lol! I do love thick greek yoghurt/fage but on cold winter mornings is seeming less appealing. I honestly don’t miss cereals/muesli/Weetabix etc .
    I know now that if I should have extra amounts or treats that I will need to compensate with extra walks and a couple of days of much lower amounts of food/carbs.
    More” larger” clothes given away including ones that I have had for only a short time….. I am now a 12-14 top and 12 bottom depending on the brand/cut/fit/fabric/style . Oh dear….my wardrobe is looking very empty. Also shoes…..my feet have shrunk too so a few pairs are very stretched. They look awful and feel awkward slopping up and down , so they are gone too. I feel much, much better for doing it too.

• posted by Fairyface
    on

Wow ladies, you are really inspirational, all of you. What journeys you have been on.
    I am going to tick the little box at the bottom so I am notified when you post:-)

• posted by Natalie
    on

Plumptious I didn’t have yoghurt much in winter, it just didn’t appeal. Who wants cold and slimy on a chilly morning? But it’s spring here and I’m enjoying yogurt again. One thing I substituted in winter was soup! Sounds odd for breakfast, but in particular bacon and broccoli soup was delicious. (1 rasher of Bacon, one head of broccoli broccoli, a small potato, 2 cups chicken stock, cooked then blended up smooth – yes I know, potato, but it’s only a little bit for the texture.) overall tasted like bacon!

• posted by Bissell
    on

Hi Angiebabe. I just read your query about knee replacements. I’ve had both of mine done and it was the best thing in the end. I was 55, overweight but not obese, walking painfully with a stick and knee braces, on loads of painkillers. Now I’m 60, BMI = 24, regularity walking 6 miles, no painkillers. But it took time. I do a whole 6 minutes of exercises every day now, and am still getting improvement in my knee flexibility.
    My advice would be to make the most of any physio you get post op, be prepared for it to take a while to be fully functional again, and I’m sure losing weight has helped me too. It was so worth it! My 2 year old grandson found my walking stick the other day and asked why I had it. It was illuminating for me to remember how far I have come!
    Very best of luck.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Hi Bissell

Thank you so much for your response. My consultant has warned me about that this isn’t an instant solution but to be honest how could it be? But am on a programme of pre surgery knee exercises I think anything I can do to prepare should help a little. And of course the wonderful BSD. Can I ask how long a gap did you have between the two surgeries? it is great to hear how well you are doing down the line!

• posted by Bissell
    on

It’s all a bit of a blur now (no surprises there!) but :

RTKR 2011. A few problems with it initially, but by the end of the year it was working well. I had it done on April Fools Day, as I recall!
    LTKR 2012. Much smoother transition into full flexibly and motibility.
    So I think about 12-15 months between the two. Meanwhile, I had a couple of months off each time but then returned to full time nursing. Now, as I say, I’m fitter than I’ve ever been. Flexing it is key. Keep doing the flexing exercises even when they hurt and you will be running up the stairs again!

Best of luck.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Thank you !

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Still ticking along….continuing pretty much the same as last week. Incorporated a few extra healthy snacks but also an unhealthy “white ” meal on a day out. The next day I really suffered!! wont be doing that again.
    My portion sizes are also only slightly bigger than on the 800/8 system now. I don’t weigh out things any longer but I do meal plan and shop effectively and make sure if one meal is higher in carbs than it should be I ensure we have a much lighter other meal or yoghurt & berries rather than porridge.
    I just bought myself a cheapie 2017 week to view diary for the sole purpose of recording food & meals.
    I do this now and it is done in pencil for the week up ahead but then if things change at the last minute for whatever reason I can see where & what to tweak to boost essential green veggies or whatever is low because I think it is incredibly important to keep up all nutrients….after only a few days it is easy to slide downhill & feel average or yuk….I never want to be either of those again. weight stable.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

9stone 10lb last week….and same again this week.
    Seem to be settling now. I may try for another 3lb off in time for Christmas but by being active and lots of gardening & allotment tasks and not being strict on carbs etc .
    Couple of folk being negative and advising me ” you’ve gone too far now/ you are looking thin” . My retort….I have never felt better in my life….I dug three large holes and planted trees this morning and I couldn’t have done that in the summer cos I was too fat and unfit.

• posted by captainlynne
    on

Well done Plumptious πŸ˜€πŸ’

Folk say the same to me! Some even think my next visitor will be the undertaker 😱 But I’ve never felt better πŸ˜€

Down to 8stone 10 pounds today. Seems to be hovering around there at the moment πŸ˜€

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Lynne you are a card!! lol
    but yes….I see that look in some “friends” eyes lol.
    I have hovered up and down between a few pounds over the last fortnight but am back again to 9 stone 10lb.
    At one point I thought about not bothering to log in , and not account to myself, but now realise that it would perhaps be a mistake and I don’t want to go back to my unhealthy, fat self and it would be SO easy…..so am here once more….
    Still having to have lighter, green ,eating days when I have “overcarbed “once or twice. Maybe that will become a permanent feature of my life? I am not sure I can commit to a definite 5:2 BSD weekly lifestyle.

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Not SO PLUMPTIOUS now

Welcome back.
    I’ve had a few guarded hints at how much more will I lose, a few direct, ‘that’s enough now,’ and the all-knowing watch this space it won’t last looks too. When I read you were digging three large holes I thought you had plans for those friends with unfriendly advice. πŸ˜‰

Several people who had asked for the book and had planned a start but didn’t, now apologise. Sometimes I think they avoid me ….I’m not their warden, they can do what they want, I’m not expecting attention and it’s not a competition either, it is what it is for me. I love how I am and am determined to enjoy this space. I’ve been on this since March and have had no problems therefore see it as my future. N

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Now there’s a thought Nettle…..lol! Next time someone goes down this route I will ,smirkingly, imagine them down one of my holes. Wish I had read your post earlier because another person this morning told me I looked skinny and not well. (I didn’t have make-up on (!)) On my drive home I thought to myself “how rude” because I would never dream of telling someone they looked fat and not well! The irony is that the woman who spoke those words is massively overweight, on crutches and a long term slimming world attender. Ho hum. You are absolutely right about doing it for ourselves and also taking control of what works for us.
    I have a friend who just looks forlorn and says “I wish I had your willpower” as if somehow it is a magic wand….I simply tell her “you do -if you want it badly enough”…..here is the link to the BSD site…..this is the name of the book etc…like you so rightly say we are not their wardens and it really is not a competition…..suspect there may be a little resentment/green eyed monster lurking there?

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi P

There’s a tipping point then, when does skinny turn from compliment to criticism? Probably in the messenger methinks.
    N

• posted by cmawp
    on

Hi everyone, it saddens me to hear of the ‘you’ve gone too far’, ‘you look skinny now’ messages we all receive. It’s so confusing after we have tried with determination and drive to tread our paths towards goal and through maintenance.

For me, the transition of ‘wow, you’re doing well’ to ‘you’ve gone too far’ occurred only 7-8 weeks in. I thought, hold on, less than 2 months ago you were saying why not lose weight and now this?

At the front of my mind, I keep the notion that in order to make themselves feel better, other people attack others’ success to try to bring them down to their level. I’ve begun to get quite short with people who are brave/stupid enough to air their views on my appearance. Along with my newfound body confidence comes a lack of fear of confrontation and I quite like exercising it *smiles*.

Keep your chin up everyone, we’re doing fantastically well!

• posted by Nettle
    on

Hi Guys

I’ve just had a positive “you look fit and fantastic” e mail from member of my Tai Chi group. A few weeks ago she was boarding on saying you have gone too far, so word must be out that I am not tolerating that sort of humbug.

At least its no longer our CHINS we are keeping up cmawp. πŸ™‚

N

• posted by cmawp
    on

Haha, yes it’s a great feeling only having one chin up keep up now!

Good to hear the positive comment you received Nettle.

Please log in or register to post a reply.