My Start of this regime –

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Wheelie
    on

Hi All

Just about to start this diet – been to the docs and bloods taken, she is a bit lery of this but is willing to go along with it.
    weight is 108kg, waist = 48 inch

I have been a paraplegic for 29 years, and was managing well untill 2007 when i was diagnosed type 2 diabetic, then it all went sideways. within a year i had a sore on my foot, this was sorted by adjusting the footplate that i rested my feet on, more evenly spread weight over the foot, and not localised, but then it went to the backside. large ulcer developed on the ischial area of my butt that required bedrest…….for months…..then hospitalised……14 months of that……finally surgery to close of the wound.
    the surgery has been repeated another two times over the last 6 years.

I am at a point that i am so tired of hospitals and if i do not get this weight off it will kill me… so motivated greatly by this book and the potential it offers me to get right and live a lighter life…

i will be posting into this forum about once a week to give my progress for those who may be interested.

wish me luck
    Wheelie

• posted by ay caramba
    on

Hi Wheelie
    Welcome to the start of a new you.
    Everyone on here has their own motivation for doing this diet and sorting out their lives.
    You sound as though you have the kind of determination to make this work for you.
    Dive in.

And everyone else on the forums looking to start the BSD.
    Give it a go.
    Start now. Don’t wait.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

Welcome Wheelie! Ouch, your personal history is hard to imagine, I am very sorry you have struggled for so long with complications like that, I am sure it has been physically and mentally exhausting. But, you have come to the right place! This diet truly works and is life-changing for so many people. I will look forward to hearing your progress in the weeks ahead. Onward and downward!

• posted by Wheelie
    on

Hello again all – 3 weeks now into my 800 cal diet.
    Been three weeks now since i started this and must admit that i am getting results.. it is a bit difficult to weigh myself as i am wheelchair bound..(not many scales that will accomodate the chair 😉 ). But i am feeling a bit lighter and clothes fitting a little looser so all good.

More energy on tap now, doing some weights from the chair.. slowly ramping the time and weight up each week.

A big plus on this tho is that i have stopped my glicacide tabs, as my sugars are responding to the low cal intake.. just on the metformin now..

Update… i went along to my consultant to have a post op review, and was able to weigh myself using the hospital equipment.. happy to reveal that i have lost 4.5kg so far. yep yep.

The medico’s question my doing this, but have very little to respond to me with, when i ask what could give me the same results, they just go back to the old adage of ‘lose little over time’ been hearing this over and over again for the last 6 years from so called Dietitian’s who, i feel are just spouting out what they have learned back in Uni..

So we keep on with what i have done so far… no breakfast, very light midday meal, generally 2 boiled eggs and some fresh tomatoes, lots of pepper, then a evening meal of around 300 cals. in general 500-600 cals a day.

I am not feeling to much hardship from this so far, i get the odd hunger pangs, but i ride through them. i am determined to follow through with this and maintain the diet untill i have lost 20 or more kgs…

this is doable, i am confident and already getting noticed from family and friends that i look healthier and more vital, so we keep on keeping on.

be well all
    Wheelie

• posted by Wheelie
    on

Hello to all
    Been a while since i logged into here to update my progress, apologies for that.

update as of 23-7-2016
    I am still on this diet regime, and have been since May 16th , but i have changed the method of energy intake, as i found i was slowly increasing the food i was putting on my plate… and creeping over the recommended amounts, so i have now gone onto the 200cal milk shakes and replacement meal packs.

I am finding that i have a lot more control over what goes into the body using this method, and it is a very quick and easy way to get the nutrients i need, just have a few steamed veggies once a day for fibre. Calorie intake is pegged at max of 500 cals a day, i meal replacement, or some eggs and tomatoes at lunch and a 200cal shake for supper.
    This is working better for me, and i will continue this untill i have reached my goal weight of 75KG.

As per my previous posts, it is difficult for me to weigh myself to gauge the amount of weight loss, but am most definitely feeling the difference, it is visible! face is a lot thinner, tummy reducing and feeling less dense. I suspect I have lost 10-12 kg, but only a weigh in will tell, which will be happening in early Sept. feeling a lot lighter and moving around with less effort, all going good.

Now here’s the big kicker… my sugars have been slowly declining week by week, i was originally on a dosage of 80mg glicazide twice a day, and 850mg metformin three times a day to control my diabeties.

On starting this regime back in May i very quickly reduced and then stopped the glicazide altogether, within 2 weeks. I have been regularly monitoring my sugars twice a day to make sure i did not go hyper, and all went well, never above 10. As the weeks went on, it went down to average of 8, then 6.
    I have been reducing my metformin intake down to 2 tabs (morning and night) then to one tab (morning) as the average dropped, and today, i have stopped the morning tab as my average is now 5.5, (does a happy dance!!!!!).

Okay, i am on the shakes and sachets of meal replacements, granted, but i am now off all diabetes meds, which is a first time i can say that in over 6 years of taking this stuff.

I will continue to take the sachets of foodstuffs for next three months or when I hit 75kg, whichever comes first, but, all in all, I feeling a lot better for this, sleeping better, more energy available and just feeling more alive!..

So, if anyone out there is considering if they should go for this?, my advice would be a loud YES!!!, agreed, it is extreme, initially it is a shock to the system reducing the amount of food you take in, but believe me, your body adjusts, the hunger pangs subside and you feel a lot better for it.
    Go for it!!! the feeling of control over food instead of it over you is great, feeling fitter and sharper in mind and body is worth the hardship!

So in closing, this is still very doable, and i am getting there for sure, looking forward to the time when i see 75kg stare back at me from the scale.

Keeping on keeping on.
    be well folks, till next time
    Wheelie

• posted by stringbreaker
    on

Hi Wheelie, and great to see you being creative. I guess that many of us have had to make adjustments to the “rules” and yet have had good results. My wife, for example found that having no bread upset her tum, so she has just two half slices a day at the time of taking pills which have to be taken with food. She has lost loads of weight.

Don’t forget also, that the initial university study on which so much of this is based involved the consumption of “replacement meals” and so you’re following in a well-trodden and approved path.

Do keep posting, and let us know how the weigh-in goes in September. You must have the patience of a saint.

John

• posted by Wheelie
    on

Hello to all
    been a long time away from posting onto here, and seeing a article in the bbc news website prompted me to come back and update the thread –
    this article really reaffirmed my thinking on going through this regime
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39070183

just an update for my progress,
    my weigh-in was put back till November gotta love the NHS 🙂
    got to that scales, and it showed that i had lost 11.8 kgs (that’s 25.96lbs for our Imperial based diet follower’s)
    so now sitting at 94.2kgs – total weight loss from when i started this at 108kg = 14kgs ( 30.8 lbs)

very very chuffed with that – i was advised by my consultant to keep taking the metformin, on a reduced dosage (2 x 500mg) per day, and not to cut it out altogether for health reasons.. so ok, reluctantly i have put myself onto them once again.

it is now End Feb, i have 4 days a week on 500cal (shakes and salad’s) and other day’s regular food, tho not a lot of it. still feel as i am losing, but slower i believe.. but will keep at it.

another positive of this is that this is now the longest i have been ‘wound free’ in the last 8 years, and today is the 1 year anniversary of my hospital discharge.. i believe this is entirely down to the changed diet..

So… when reading the article above, i did have a quiet chuckle to myself, what we are doing is now being seen as a possible answer to diabetic ailments
    I just bet that Doc Michael Mosley is also having a grin on his face upon reading the news.

so i do know that in my case it has been a long ..long time doing this, but due to my condition, that is to be expected.
    keep on doing what i am doing, we will get to the the goal of 75kgs

be well folks,
    be strong…
    cheers
    Wheelie

Please log in or register to post a reply.