My second 8 week journey

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Day 1 of the next chapter….after losing almost 3 stone so far and a lot of inches from my waist (and feeling better than I have in years)
    the first 8 weeks ended yesterday.I am keen to continue working, remodelling and improving my health and fitness and ultimately achieving the goal of getting into the “normal” range of BMI.
    Using the NHS website online BMI tool I score 29 .
    (I went to use the stand on machines at four weekly intervals in my nearest Boots but unfortunately it decided I was different heights each time . Had bare feet both times, it was around the same time of day and no other obvious reason for the shrinkage?? I will still go in another four weeks just to keep a record but not take the results very seriously.)
    We went to a social event yesterday where there was a lovely spread that everyone had each made something and brought it to share. It looked really colourful and fresh and because it was for a special person everyone had made a huge effort….what I didn’t realise was the organisers arranged that it had to be finger foods so no bowls of salads or anything remotely allowable to “us”….so to stave off fainting had the smallest piece of white stuff I could find and then had soup when we got home. It was a lovely event , very moving and everyone enjoyed it so the food really wasn’t the most important part of the celebrations anyhow……I think a few months ago I wouldn’t have necessarily thought of that.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

A lovely weekend away for a break and having a glass of wine, an ice lolly and a small vegan cupcake as extras to my diet meant no weight loss but none added either. Made BSD principle choices at every meal time and was especially pleased to find a nice vegetarian/vegan restaurant in Shrewsbury, staff really helpful and pleasant and decent prices.
    Not sure if mentioning the name on here is allowed but googling them will find them if you are visiting that area. They were helped by Nick Knowles the celebrity builder/fix it guy.
    Had a lovely salad called “Green Salad”. It contained lots of green items…spinach, rocket, chard , spring onion, cucumber, green apple ,edamame beans, peas, salted crushed almonds and croutons (which I had omitted from mine) with a handmade lemon, lime and olive oil dressing.( Only a few of each items so it looked roughly well within calories and carbs.) Had still spring water and a pretty decent fair trade coffee. Did lots of walking around and sightseeing so kept up the 10,000 steps in a pleasurable way.
    Back to the real world this morning.
    Menus planned out for the week and most items in the fridge n cupboards. Only the fresh salad to get today and then mid week. I am determined to get under ,and stay under the “11 something” this week!!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Phew….another 5 and a 1/2 pounds off this week!
    BMI now 28.
    To get to the 25 I still have a stone and approx 3lb to lose. I never take things for granted cos the finish line has lots of potential trips, slips and unexpected turns still in the way but I am still feeling positive and resolve to do my best.
    Had a variable week and a run in with my “zip” which decided not to reset itself after I changed the battery on Saturday. It eventually did it the next day once midnight had clicked by again so am ok for the start of a new week.
    Went to see if I could buy a pair of off the peg, supermarket jeans so randomly went into Sainsbugs earlier and bought short fit 14’s…..yeehoo….success, not only do they do up but I can also breathe in and out. I didn’t think I would see this day!
    Skinny chilli for tea.
    My beloved is doing really well too.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Day 1 of week 4 (second chunk of 800/8.)
    Not a huge loss this week…only 1 & 1/2 lbs but still , a loss is a loss and I am pleased with that.
    The important thing is the knowledge of perhaps why and what can be done to keep on the straight & narrow this week. (few days of too few steps cos of bad weather combined with deciding to have a Bradwell’s “cherry bakewell” ice cream tub on my Sunday afternoon out lol!!)
    Am still plodding along, drinking lots of water, sticking to the BSD principles and trying to keep under 50 carbs….will keep doing the same this week. As they say “Rome wasn’t built in a day” and this much fat did not accumulate in only a few months.
    Onwards and downwards.
    I love being able to walk into any clothes shop and try on ordinary sizes as there are so many more colours and combinations available….not that I am a clothes horse but it is really nice to be more individual….it represents my character so much better.
    The swimming cozzie is about to be thrown….it’s way too baggy, no chesticles big enough to fill the cups out and I can feel the weird sensation of water coming in at the top and swooshing out at the bottom !!!? if that makes sense….

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Oh am sooo interested in hearing about this PLUMPTIOUS!
    am only on week 4 myself but planning to keep on thru this section,then redo twice.
    Had to laugh at yr description of yr cozzie!
    Must be bliss floating into shops and having lots of choice..well worth the hard work.
    Good luck and congrats to you and yr OH xx

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hi Yowzer49.
    Thanks.
    I will probably do another 8 weeks after this chunk depending on whether I get to the “Normal BMI” range by the end of this 8. I think it is doubtful in four and a bit weeks. I still have the belly “wodge” that others on here have described and excess thigh baggage so would like to whittle those down but am old enough now to know you can’t just pick and choose the bits we would like to expand/contract etc lol!
    The other half is 6 feet tall and didn’t have as much to lose as me, plus he is now already content with a couple more pounds loss so that he can say he is “13” something. He probably won’t be joining me on the third cycle but we can still have the same sort of meals & he will have larger portions and add back SOME of the items he missed a lot such as more fruit. He fits back in his leather jacket nicely now so has slightly lost first n second gear of his determination!!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Day1-week 5. (second 8 week block)
    Have lost 3 and a 1/2 lbs this week. I’m glad because for four days ….no shift at all aaargh! but no need to worry cos I know I didn’t cheat this week, weighed all the ingredients, did a bit of exercise most days and kept up the water intake so do have the confidence now to know it will definitely go if we just keep at it.
    I have booked an appointment with our practice nurse to have a health MOT in three weeks time so hope she will be suitably impressed with my shrinkage. I failed miserably last time I went for help there and didn’t reach my goal or anywhere near it…..I haven’t been for a long time and they don’t know I am doing the BSD. Still, I am not doing it to impress anyone- only for myself and that is most important.
    If things continue go the way I hope ,I should hit my target of normal BMI on virtually the last day of this 8 weeks.
    I bought a new “Fatface” size 14 tunic dress from e-bay in a gorgeous delphinium blue with little white flower pattern on it….it fits……..can’t do a squeal emoji lol!!! it feels very short as I never, ever expose my legs. If the weather is ok for the next few days I plan to wear it in the back garden to try and get used to it lol.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Day1 -week 6. (second 8 week block)
    Another 3 and a 1/4 pounds off…..thank heavens.
    Haven’t done as much walking as I would have liked to this week because of the appalling rain/storms and high winds. Still managed some though.
    More ” fat clothes” out of the house and a few more nicer smaller items in , courtesy of e-bay.
    Have now started getting the “I think you have lost enough now” comments …oh Goody!!! one of them is now bigger than me for the first time ever!?
    I am now 11, 1 and a 1/4….can’t wait to get under that next stone marker and begin with a 10.
    My crunching knee has really improved and doesn’t complain half as much.
    I can really see the light at the end of the tunnel….
    Off for more water…….

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Had to post earlier than my usual day….trumpet fanfare…..I have just reached exactly 4 stone loss mark!
    11 stone was one of my goals on the fitbit site so have had a celebratory e-mail from them…..sad I know (but it helps keeps it at the front of my mind and accountable to myself). I am not counting it as my weekly figure as i’m saving that for Monday mornings.
    This week has been a plateau week with a spike uphill in the middle…..even though I had kept to all the rules. It is only today that things have gone in the right direction. Phew.

• posted by Frog
    on

well done not-so-Plumptious!!
    4 stone is a huge achievement

• posted by Littledipper
    on

Congrats Plumptious. That is fantastic news – it must be great to achieve your goal (and great motivation for those of us starting out.)

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Thanks Frog and Littledipper!
    This is not my final goal. I do them in much smaller chunks so they are achievable. I have re set my fitbit to the next one of 10, 7lb.
    The top end of my healthy BMI is 10,6 so the final one pound will be a real achievement. I may not stop there as I still feel wobbly in a few places so will wait to see how I feel then.
    Glad you are motivated and I have been a little help to you…..I have Captain Lynne and Hashimoto to thank for motivation and also being introduced to spiralizing . I also had Janeycoughdrop as a buddy who started just before me so we had a sort of parallel journey. There are many inspiring people…..Lucia makes me laugh ! Plus lots too numerous to mention. The great thing is whatever you need help with on here someone usually has an answer.
    The best thing is…. this way of getting healthy and losing weight really works. There is no way I would go back to eating sugar and refined foods etc as I feel so much better and lighter and more alive than I have for a long while. It is not always easy and there have been the odd times that I have craved something but know now how to deal with it (todays sudden urge was for a golden syrup butty on bakers fluffy white bread and best butter!… it really wouldn’t be worth the awful gut consequences).
    Good journey to both of you.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Well here we are on Bank Holiday Monday….time seems to have gone really quickly since my last post.
    We were out most of yesterday at a really nice monthly street market about 15 miles away from home, music, food, stalls, crafts, gifts, vintage stuff and activities for children etc -we walked around a lot but not at a pace as there were too many people and we kept stopping to look at goods and nice things. The beloved made a few wise choices and had street food but as there was nothing that fitted the bill I was really boring, nipped into M&S food hall quickly and selected the single portion salad bowl of feta cheese &Kalamata olives with lemon and mint dressing. It was yummy. As we sat in the sunshine enjoying the atmosphere it honestly didn’t feel like I was missing out. We had already roasted the beetroots the night before for the beetroot, orange and smoked mackerel salad (in the book) so it was a simple and quick make when we got home.
    Today is a stay at home and avoid the traffic and crowds day.
    Gardening if the weather holds out this morning and a walk after lunch. If it starts to rain I have a bathroom that needs attention and has some half finished paintwork to attend to. Whatever we end up doing it certainly won’t involve the tv/films ,slobbing around in baggy clothes, or cakes & choc” treats” that we would have seen as a Bank Holiday luxury in the past.
    I don’t know if anyone else feels the same but as I look at the jewellery, accessories and handbags etc that are in my wardrobe I suddenly feel they are all too big, oversized and now not quite balanced with my new shape and much smaller clothes. I don’t have lots of any items especially bags as I am not keen on carrying handbags…much prefer pockets. So if it rains and I am bored, I think I may get things out of various cupboards and drawers and have a bit of a thinning out.
    My weigh in for this morning is good and still going in the right direction. I am now 10,12, 1/2.
    So begins week 7 of my second 8 weeks BSD.
    Hope everyone is having a nice day if on hols, if not – a great Monday !!

• posted by Piper
    on

Hi – just read your journey……what an achievement you must feel fabulous and so pleased at what you have achieved.
    This is my day 1 of the 8 week plan…..I was so impressed when I read the book just had to give it a go.
    I have 3 stone to loose……have tried various diets before but lost some weight, and then just put a few pounds on and so the saga continues. I am feeling very positive and really want to just feel healthier and reduce my arthritic pain.
    Anyway – just thought I would say a huge ‘well done’ just off to write my food plan for the week. Have a great day.

• posted by loopylou
    on

Well done Plumpticious. You may have to change your name as well as your accessories as I am guessing there’s not much plump left to you now. What an amazing story.
    I have been on a bit of an on off roller coaster but just about to start my second 8 weeks with a bit more commitment

• posted by Lewisfasters
    on

I have loved reading your posts plumpticious, I am on day 7 of my first 8 week fasting. I have done so many diets over my life time, all with success for a given period followed by gradual re-expansion in the waist etc! Amazingly this one really suits me, yes I know it’s early days- but positive frame of mind is important!!!!, and I have already lost 8lbs. I’m going to keep watching your updates, you’re inspiring me!

• posted by KrysiaD
    on

Jumped on the scales this morning and the holiday three-quarters of a pound is gone and another quarter pound also – so have taken a tiny step off the plateau at last! Yesterday did 698 calories and 31 carbs – wasn’t hungry at all.

• posted by Madmare
    on

This i so inspiring, like loopylou I am about to start a second 8 weeks with a great deal more commitment.
    You should be very proud of yourself

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Day 1.final week ( 2nd 8/800 ).
    Only just got around to updating my thread as I had an appointment first thing and then have been mad busy all day.
    I did go to the nurse appointment first thing …..got a positive but lukewarm reaction…..she hadn’t heard of the BSD, book or website.
    Piper- Thanks and Hi! How’s your first week gone?
    Loopylou- thanks also, there are most definitely a few handfuls of wobbly bits left to go. lol. Hang on in there, its not the falling off ,its the getting back on again that counts.
    KrysiaD….yup, those plateaus can be really disheartening…..I doubt there is anyone on this site who hasn’t had one (but if so, lucky them lol! Keep guzzling the water.
    Lewisfasters, thanks, and well done for cracking the first week. Looking back I think perhaps that was the worst week for feeling empty and hungry and felt that it was probably going to be a very long 8 weeks. As you so rightly say the positive mental attitude is really important.8lb reduction is great….
    Madmare, well done for getting past the first 8 weeks. I think committing to doing the second is an important step….for me it would be no use just thinking “well , if it works it works and if it doesn’t it doesn’t”.The planning, shopping, weighing ingredients etc filling in info on MyfitnessPal/wearing the fitbit are all constant effort and daily reminders to keep bashing away. There is a famous quote…. I don’t know who originally said it but it goes along the lines of “Whether you think you can ,or think you can’t – you are right”. So true.
    Hope I haven’t missed anyone out…..big wave and warm wishes to you if I have.
    I have only lost a fraction of a pound this week….but glad at least it is something ….I had a massive flat line on my graph every day for almost a full week and appeared to put on a small amount mid week & lose it again…..only water difference I suspect. I knew that it wouldn’t be a good week for exercise as things beyond my control shaped the week. One day I had to go to a funeral, so could not fit in any walking, plus extra sitting down at the event and afterwards, I was dependent on lifts from others as my car was in for repair so couldn’t build in anything such as parking a way away and walking part of the way. It has become very evident that the evenings are drawing in and it has been too dark on a couple evenings to set out after tea for a walk. It was pitch black at 9.40pm a few nights ago. Might have to rethink my routines until the clocks go back in a few weeks time.
    I have made a mini plan for this week to achieve 10,000 steps every day this week in the hope of getting to the end of the second 8 weeks in the best possible shape. I do manage it once or twice a week usually.
    The green area of the normal BMI scale is tantalisingly in sight but in reality don’t think I will be able to hit it in one weeks time…..but if I don’t it won’t be for want of trying!

• posted by Plumptious
    on

With joy I am writing the final instalment in the “Second 8 week category”!
    The day dawns at last and I have got here in one piece.
    My plans for walking over 10,000 a day every single day for a week didn’t happen as hoped due to a gum abscess/eruption of a wisdom tooth (WHAT!!! after all these years) and traipsing of to dental appointments , a broken shower and a couple of other incidents that stole my time. However I still managed a few days over the 10,000 step mark.
    Final weigh in is 10, 11, 1/4. (26% starting weight loss I think?) I am pleased with that and better still know my taste has changed and healthy eating is “normal ” now. When I look at some goodies that used to call my name and tantalize me ….they no longer do. Some items do of course in which case I am confident if I have a small piece it will no longer cause a downward spitfire spiral which ends up scoffing the whole family sized portion.
    The story doesn’t end here though….week by week on a Monday morning the beloved and myself are going to decide whether we will carry on for a further week at a time. He has done really well, lost over 3 stone now and is within 3lb of his green light area on the BMI scale
    I still have 5 and a 1/4 pounds to go until I reach my green light area so it will be interesting to see which one of us gets there first.
    Hope to be in a new clubhouse soon.

• posted by Hiho
    on

Love your diary a real inspiration that’s me completed my first week and an unbelievable 10 .5lbs lighter. I am seriously overweight so that will explain the huge amount off in one week. Hopefully a few weeks of high results and your lovely posts will keep me motivated. Super well done great commitment and inspiration.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Hiho…..please accept my apologies for not replying to you much sooner. I have been on holiday and part of it had no internet connection plus I had only limited opportunities to post. How are things going with you?
    We did lots of walking and sightseeing and we made a positive effort to go long ways around etc to get the maximum effect.
    I weighed myself this morning….held my breath, kept fingers crossed etc because I also had no way of keeping up with my fitness pal and didn’t take the fitbit with me because I knew in advance that it would be pointless. In a way it was a bit like swimming with no floats for the first time as I had begun to rely on my meal planning to keep me safe by using the amounts by the computer lol!
    I needn’t have worried because by careful selection from various menus I have still lost some and am proud to say am now 10 stone 5lb and the green light area of the BMI chart has finally told me “I am normal”…..what a relief!
    Have made a date with a friend to meet up in Manchester next week and finally buy those gap jeans I have been promising myself.
    I can honestly say I have never felt better in my life and am now the same weight as before my son was born more than 30 years ago.
    If any of you out there are flagging my advice is just keep on plugging away in spite of those fall offs/plateaus even when you begin to think perhaps you are not really meant to be any smaller/lighter/fitter or whatever your original goal was and you can do it. Don’t worry about what anyone else is achieving because we are all different….fill up on the (above ground) veggies and as many different colours of them as you can and guzzle the water (& step away from the cake shop window!!?)

• posted by Kristin
    on

Hello. So 3 stones is 42 lbs I believe. Did you lose that in the first 8 weeks? Do u mind me asking your starting weight? I am on day 2 of my first 8 weeks. I have a 100 lbs to lose. Would love those kind of results as well! Great job!!!

• posted by Snoop
    on

Hi Plumptious,
    What a tremendous achievement! I’ve just read this entire thread in total admiration. I’ve got an awful long way to go, but stories like yours, and especially your comments in your post earlier today, are a tremendous inspiration. Congratulations to you and your partner.

• posted by Angiebabe
    on

Kristin I too have 100 (plus a few more) to lose and am on my third eight week cycle. I have recorded my weekly losses on my profile, and the plateau so although we are all different it will give you one persons progress so far.
    I didn’t weigh myself until the end of the first eight weeks as the scales made me nervous early on. I don’t have diabetes but my chloresterol is great now.

The first weeks seemed to go slowly but now I’m in a bit of a groove so proof it does get easier and those pounds have started to add up when I get to 56 I will be half way so down hill from there I hope. My goal is next May.

• posted by Plumptious
    on

Thanks snoop, I am really glad. Go girl you can also do it!
    Hi Kristin….sorry I am no good at maths….it was my husband who has lost the 3 stone….I have lost 4 stone 9lbs. I was 15 stone to begin with and it took a run up couple of weeks and then two cycles of 8 weeks. I was still not at the BMI “green line area” so decided to keep going week by week until I got there . This has taken a further two weeks.
    It would have been a good idea to plot everything on one thread Angiebabe but I was so absorbed in weighing things, shopping lists, getting my head around the book and keeping up with other folks posts etc I just didn’t think of it at the time.
    I am definitely going to join in with a weigh in type maintenance thread soon.

Please log in or register to post a reply.