My Journey (starting 5/12)

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Trae
    on

Day 1:
    I saw the BSD on the Dr. Oz show last week. I have been struggling with a 500 calorie diet as well as a 1200 calorie diet since January…500 has been too hard to maintain and 1200 seems like too much. I love the concept of 800, almost perfectly between the 2. Sugary sweets as well as bread are my downfalls and I know I have to cut them completely out of my diet. There is no wiggle room or occasional treats, because that sets me off in a total binge fest. I have the exercise part down as I am upwards of 20K steps a day…I just cant seem to get a handle on the eating.

Book has been read…but I can’t find the answer to what my macros should look like. I know for my that I am highly carb sensitive and therefore I really need to be under 20 carbs a day. But as for my fat and protein I can’t figure out what my percentages should be. I know Med diet is higher in fat but I dont think it is to the levels of Keto in terms of fat. Any suggestions….

Day 1 went pretty well…that is until we attended one of my son’s spring band concerts and my eating was thrown off. Instead of making wise choices. I allowed myself a few oranges on my salad which pushed my carb count way too high for the day. GRRR…but today is a new day.

• posted by orchid
    on

https://thebloodsugardiet.com/forums/topic/variations-in-fast-800/

Hi Trae, welcome on board. There is a good trail where both Eureka and Neohdiver have given info that should help you with this(see link above). If that is not enough info – put ‘Proportions fat’ or ‘Proportions carb’ into the search engine and read the links it gives you – there are a few :-).
    Most people are going for 50g carbs and below, it may be better to start at 50g carbs and come down as you feel it is needed – upping your fats will keep you feeling fuller so you may not need such a low carb count.
    Good luck.

• posted by Trae
    on

Official Day 1 (5/16)
    Starting Weight 184 pounds (sorry British friends)

Thank you Orchid….I know I need to stop focusing on macro percentages and just go with this eating plan. I do know that I have to be really low carb for my body to even think about releasing weight. Which is hard because I really like fruits and veggies…and yes the sugar laden stuff too.

I tried to start last week but was not completely prepared…so yesterday marked my official starting day. Eating was fairly easy…although I did find myself with the munchies right before bed. I gave into to a couple of frosted mini wheats and then headed to bed to avoid anymore.

Calories 784
    Carbs 22 (Net 15)

It was a low day with steps for me…I just did not have the desire to do my normal 22-25K steps and ended up with 13K for the day.

• posted by MrD
    on

Just wanted to chime in with some positive reinforcement. I too tried the 500 calorie diet twice. It was a difficult diet to complete as well as maintain. So now I’m right here with you just starting this new eating regime.
    I have completed just 4 days and so far I’m not starving, but I do find myself hungry. I have a terrible habit of all or nothing. It is difficult to admit, but I have absolutely no self control and I had to rid my cabinets of anything that would remotely tempt me.

I like you’re attitude of “today is a new day”. When I start to think about all of the negative things – “I ate too many carbs, not enough fat/protein, I didn’t walk enough steps, etc”. I stop and I flip statements around, I made it through the day without drinking a soda (which is rare), I took some steps today and I’ll try to add some tomorrow, I absolutely did my best today and I’ll keep working tomorrow.

I’m preaching to the choir, but don’t beat yourself up too much. You have made the first step which is awesome. You are trying your best and you are committed to your future. Just keep focusing on your positive steps, always acknowledge where you feel you need to improve, but try not to dwell or punish yourself for it.

• posted by Trae
    on

Thank you MrD…I am trying to be more positive with myself but at the same time stop making excuses for slipping up.

I hate having temptation all around me at home, I just cant throw out everything because I have a family too. But I have cut way back and gotten rid of a lot of things that they don’t need either by simply not buying it anymore and providing healthier things if they so choose….

I hated the 500 calorie thing, probably not so much the calories but the VERY LIMITED food choices. I think the BSD is going to work out so much better because I have choice in what I am allowed to eat…as long as it is not sugar and white stuff as I like to call it.

• posted by Trae
    on

Reflections of Day 2
    5/25/2016

Starting Weight 194.8 lbs
    Today’s Weight 190 lbs
    Loss -4.8/-4.8

Wow…I totally did not expect to see almost 5 pounds lost this morning. What a nice treat. I have been struggling with these 5 pounds (up & down) now for the last 2 months so to see them gone once again was exciting…the true test will be in the morning to see if I continue down the same losing road and actually get into new weight loss territory for my latest round of trying to get the weight off.

As far as eating I did fairly well, considering we had an awards banquet for one of the organizations my oldest son belongs too in high school. I knew the menu was going to include a standard lettuce salad (nothing but ice berg and a few carrot/cabbage shreddings) and beef brisket…I would just ignore the other sides and desserts. I planned my eating around this.

I was able to make it to the 12 hour fasting window…hoping to do more of an 16-18 hour fast but I was starving mid-morning, so I went for a snack. For a mid-morning snack I had some hummus and a few baby bell peppers. I finally took a look at the hummus nutritional label and discovered that I can actually have hummus! I always thought that it was too high in carbs coming from beans. But much to my surprise and delight I can now safely indulge in this little treat! Of course I am making sure I measure and not eat directly out of the carton.

Lunch was some shredded chicken breasts that I had marinated in buffalo wing sauce and had cooked for dinner the night before, along with some blue cheese crumbles on the top. Lots of flavor and satisfying!

And dinner was just as I had planned, I am sure my meat portion was a little bigger than 4 ounces…more like 6 so my final calorie count I set at 920 calories for the day. I did stick to plan and avoided the other sides and dessert…confession I did take a bite of a lovely lemon cake my son was eating.

I needed to get out and do a training run/walk yesterday for an upcoming race that I am in, but the rain was not letting go of the day! I opted for treadmill and just walking and my 22K steps, which is a normal step day for me. I really need to get to my run/walk training and challenge myself to get back to 25K a day! Tomorrow is another day, although my schedule might say different. I hate the end of a school year…reports, paperwork, preparing for summer school.

Overall a good day…the key was planning it all out and having it ready to go! No excuses.

• posted by Trae
    on

Okay so yesterday was not 5/25 and I started out last week with BSD at 196.8 lbs…so that gives me a lose of 6.8 pounds in 6 days despite failing over the weekend.

• posted by Trae
    on

Overall a pretty good 5 days…I had a perfect 3 days at the beginning with my a huge victory over during a retirement reception. I stayed completely away from all the yummy desserts…so proud of myself until I found them in the breakroom the next day where I was not as successful.

Some days are easier than others with the 800 calories. I have to admit that I am closer to 900 most days but when I do I make sure that I am at 20K steps.

I am really dreading the weekend. No schedule really throws me off with the eating. I have to keep myself active and busy to avoid just opening the door and have a food fest.

This morning I did a 2 miles run/walk followed by a 5 mile walk.

Please log in or register to post a reply.