My first Fasting Day

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by carina62
    on

I am doing my first Fasting Day today. I am a Type 2 diabetic on Meformin (x2 daily) and also carb counting.

My question is that I have only had 11g of carbs so far but will have more with my evening meal but wondered how many grams of carbs I can have? I am trying to stick to 80g of carbs a day so I could have 70g of carbs tonight but I feel that this is too much and don’t know how it will affect my BS levels.

Any suggestions? thanks

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi Carina

quite a lot of people on this site aim for 50g of carbs, some far lower (and presumably some higher than that too)
    I aim for 50g, some days its as low as 30g, other days up to 60g – generally higher on days when I don’t have fish or meat.
    typically, people with carb limits at the lower end of the scale tend to loose weight faster

Particularly if you’re on your first day, just consider the 70g as a guideline highest level – there isn’t any need to go searching for more carbs if you eat less than that and feel you’ve eaten sufficient.
    Over time you’ll get to a target that suits you and you can easily achieve.

• posted by carina62
    on

Thanks for that. Yes, I forgot that I don’t have to make up the carbs amount if I choose not to but then again I did read somewhere that the RDA for carbs is about 130g daily for brain health and function although this could apply to non-diabetics but as I am a diabetic, I have to keep my carb intake low for good BS levels but I know that the amount of carbs tolerated is in an individual thing with diabetics. Always good to get answers 🙂

• posted by carina62
    on

Sorry forgot, do you aim for 50g of carbs on your Fast Days or is that the amount you have daily, regardless?

• posted by Frog
    on

Hi

I am diabetic as well, and haven’t had any ill effects from lower carbs – my lowest day carb wise was around 20g – there was a post yesterday by someone diabetic that was trying to maintain 5g daily.
    I’m actually doing the 800 cal a day version rather than 5:2 -there are some people on the site that have been following that for 6 months or more, with the 50g limit on carbs – no one has reported losing their marbles yet!

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Just to say, Carina62, that RDA and other dietary advice is questioned by the BSD – it’s perfectly possible, as Frog says, to enjoy life and live well on less carbs than the 130g you have read about. And many experts think you will feel better for it.

I can testify to feeling very well indeed on 20g of carb per day, which I will maintain till the end of the BSD (I’m in my last week of 8), and I intend after I finish to maintain carb intake at c 50-75g per day ongoingly, doing a 5:2, with two days of 20g carb per day.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Good luck on your first fasting day Carina..may it lead to more of the same and increased good health👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Please log in or register to post a reply.