My First Day

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi all, I’m starting BSD tomorrow. I finish nghtshift at 7am, will go home and sleep until noon and then I begin. I have been encouraged by reading lots of peoples posts on this site. It’s great to see so much success. I have at least 20 kgs of fat to lose along with a quite high cholesterol level and it’ll be wonderful to have lots of energy again too. I know it will be hard, but I wont starve to death. Might get a bit cranky though.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Wanted to welcome you on board and wish you luck with your quest. Most people find that once they get the first week out of the way, it’s relatively plain sailing, bar the occasional blip and plateau. Remember to keep an eye on the carbs, drink lots and use full fat to help with the hunger pangs. You will soon be posting positive results, but shout if you need support or want info, as someone will be bound to respond.

Look forward to reading your results soon!

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Thankyou SunnyB for the lovely welcome aboard.
    My last meal was at 3am (edamame beans). I was hungry as I drove home from work at 7am and thought of snacking before going to bed. Thanks to joining this forum and your encouraging welcome, I felt accountable to do the right thing (that is not to fail before I really even get going!) I woke at 2pm and wasn’t hungry and thats my first proof that the hunger pains pass. Its 11 hours since my last meal. Have now eaten a small meal of some avocado and ham and a cup of tea and I feel pleasantly full.
    Starting stats:
    Female
    Height – 165cm
    Weight – 82kgs
    Age – 51

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Glad things are going well so far Flowerpot. You seem to be very determined and that will take you a long way. Good start with avocado and ham. Make sure you drink plenty – it’s important both for feeling full and for hydration. Don’t worry if you struggle to keep to the 800cals in the first few days, it will come right eventually as your body adjusts.

Have you taken any measurements – waist for instance? Tracking it’s reduction can also be an encouragement when things get shaky. Some people have found that even if the scales aren’t giving favourable results, sometime the tape measure does.

Anyway, looking forward to reading your results soon.

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Thanks again and good tip. I forgot about the waist measurement.
    Starting Stats :
    Female
    Height – 165cm
    Weight – 82kgs
    Age – 51
    Waist measurement – 101cms
    Bum/ Hip measurement – 111cms

Day one was good. Drank lots of water, ate avocado & ham for brunch at 3pm. For tea at 7pm I made the veggie frittata which was delicious and filling. Didn’t do any exercise as I was still stuffed from coming off night shift, today I’ll take Patty pooch for a nice long walk. Woke not feeling hungry which is great, have eaten a late-ish brekky of tuna, onion and avo, I won’t eat again until tea time. I’ll post my stats again next Sunday to see how I’ve faired. I read someone else’s post about being accountable by putting stats up for all to see, I feel the same.
    To be honest I have found quitting sugar to be harder than giving up the smokes which I did some 20 years ago.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Flowerpot and all

Re giving up sugar – it took me 8 weeks to really stop noticing my drinks didn’t have sugar in. I’d heard it was 6-8 weeks for the tastebuds to change. But here I am drinking a really lovely strong cup of coffee (and looking forward to the next one!) with no sugar. And a “treat” flat white the other day was so sweet with just the milk that I couldn’t imagine how I could have had sugar in it before.

So keep on keeping on – it does get better – and it’s so positive to have given it up. I worked out my normal pre-BSD sugar intake was about 800 calories a week! A day’s worth of eating!!!!!

Good luck with your whole journey.

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Your taste buds will adjust Flowerpot. Like Igorasusual, I’ve been doing this for weeks now and very much dislike sweet stuff now. Very occasionally I will have a hankering for something with some sweetness, but I find it takes very little to quench that now – quarter of a teaspoon of honey in yogurt, or a few raspberries is plenty. But most of the time I have no desire for anything sweet. You’ll soon be the same, so don’t despair. It just take awhile for the body to adjust.

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi again all,
    Well I’ve been travelling along this slightly bumpy road on my wagon this week that I have fallen off quite a few times when stress and pressure at work has got me down and I’ve given in to cravings. I found that when I ate some junk, I really wasn’t satisfied for very long at all and just wanted more of anything really. I had not noticed that pattern before. So instead as the week went on, if I got too stressed and wanted junk I ate a small amount of wholesome food like some almonds or a cup of miso soup or some edamame beans and I started to feel more satisfied and the cravings and stress would go. This means I ate well over 800 calories per day each day but I am still astounded at the results at the end of this first week. My start weight last weekend was 82 kgs and my weigh in this arvo is 79.5kgs. I am really astounded to say the least. I am lucky in one respect that my job is quite physical in fact and I’m up and down stairs by the thousand I’m sure in a 12 hour shift, (I work in a palletising warehouse in a chocolate factory) sheesh my legs get tired by the end of 12 hours. I’ve ordered a pedometer so I can actually track how many steps I do in a shift. Thanks Igorasusual and SunnyB for your words of encouragement they really have helped me to keep going when I was off the wagon rolling around in the mud. This week I hope will be different and I’ll really stick to only the great food choices. There’s no doubt that I do feel thinner around the belly.
    The junk I blew out on this week was some maltesers, sweetened yoghurt with sweet passion fruit in it, a big box of KFC , a packet of potato chips, a couple of slices of toasted white ‘grainy’ bread. None of this food really satisfied me tho. I was aware of that after I ate it. I would feel a kind of belly bloat but still be hungry for something else. That was a real eye opener for me in my first week. If I eat really good quality protein and some quality carbs I can last sooooo much longer before I need to eat again. Wowsers. I love this system and all you fellow BSDers are such a huge inspiration. Thanks for being out there. Love yooz all xxxx.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi there flowerpot.

You have had your first realisation of many that I expect you will have. I have done 12 weeks of this plan and recently went of plan for a week on hol, ooh did I feel ill, all my old symptoms exhaustion, aching joints etc came back all because of refined carbs, 3 days later on plan and all reversed. This plan is simply miraculous in my humble opinion in the power it has for our fragile bodies and mind.
    So keep up the good work, your ability to cope with stress will increase because of this plan, perhaps also try the meditation as suggested in doc ms book. Go for it. Yeahhhhh ๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi FLOWERPOT! Well done on yr first week results! They are amazing specially considering you work in a chocolate factory! Did you used to eat quite a bit of chocco.,being surrounded by it,or did that in fact put you off choccy?
    Its great that yr job is so physical,that must really help burn up cals.

Well, now like the rest of us here,youre learning the truths of how yr Carb Monster eventually runs away whimpering if you dont eat the bad stuff..i used to think i was plain greedy til i learnt that eating carbs just makes us hungry for more of the same. Starve the monster and off it goes.

Can i ask what type of poochydog Patty is? X

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi greenjanet,
    12 weeks is great work, well done you, I’ll get there too. Hey I have all those ghastly aches and pains too so that’s encouraging to know that they might well disappear along with the crappy carbs ๐Ÿ˜€ I totally agree that this diet also inadvertently addresses the mind games too and helps us to hear that inner chatter, well it has for me this week that for for sure. I’ll certainly meditate more and more to help cope with stress. Xx

• posted by Frog
    on

hi Flowerot
    a chocolate factory – is that hard. or to you get inured to it?
    Chocolate fix just by breathing in deep!
    There is a very posh chocolatier nearby in Islington, and it is actually quite satisfying to stand by the door and breathe deeply – the Hotel Chocolat shops are a bit like that, but Paul Young’s is much more hardcore!

I had a completely mad blowout weekend a couple of months ago – felt quite yuk! – and the yogurt – even if it took you over on carbs and cals, a natural greek one with fresh fruit would have been soooo much better!!
    I had too many carbs yesterday – I’d bought a punnet of cherries the day before, without checking the carb content – would have been OK if I’d just had a few, but they were amazing = I ate them all during the course of the day – fortunately it was a smallish punnet!

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Oh Yowser
    You do make me laugh carb monster got it in one, that’s one for the terminology list me thinks.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡๐Ÿ˜‡

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi Yowzer49, thanks heaps ๐Ÿ™‚
    I was never really a big choccy eater when I started there but over the past 16 years I have eaten vast amounts, however not sooo much the last couple of years as I don’t enjoy it so much anymore, (a good thing). Yes all those stairs for sure do help burn the cals and I should have awesome slender legs but I don’t at all, they are more like tree stumps hehe, strong but chunky and very cellulity, that’s another change I hope the BSD will help with. My body has stored fat on my upper arms and legs and hips and bum and my belly and it’s all in the form of cellulite. Oh to remove the fat around my vital organs first and then hopefully all the rest will go too. I’ve felt like you too and thought I was just a greedy glutton, (I probably was tho) but I was eating all the wrong bad, bad stuff that just made me more hungry dammit!! The stuff that’s designed by manufacturers to do just that, keep us buying the rubbish. Yeah I’m finally waking up. I’m starving the beastly carbmonster ๐Ÿ˜
    My poochydog Patty is a brindle and white purebred English Bull Terrier and what a funny bugger she is too, I love her, she’s 3. Xx

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Lol greenjanet, The carb monster made me laugh too, yowzer49 hit the nail on the head.

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Flowerpot

You wasn’t as all of us wasn’t greedy, it’s simply the carb monster giving us a uncontrollable appetite, I experienced it when I first started this plan, and re experienced it when I came of plan for a week, my appetite was almost uncontrollable again, thinking about food all the time which when I am eating the BSD way I don’t have any of those things,. We are science in action. We are so fortunate to have this plan. It will I reckon be a charged for website in the future. So we need to make hay now and get it all gone the lbs that is. Happy Sunday. ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Love jan

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

FLOWERPOT We must be twins coz sounds like i have same legs as yours,two short cellulity trunks..in fact i have head to toe cellulite! We can only pray that BSD is a miracle cure and dissolves it for us!
    Your dog sounds adorable and very cute! X

• posted by Snoop
    on

Well done, Flowerpot. 2.5 kg in one week is good going. I was feeling peckish yesterday and had the grand sum of eight almonds. Quarter of an hour later, I was feeling completely satisfied. It’s amazing how a little of something good will do the trick.
    Your post reminded me of a Stevie Wonder line: “But, Lord, her legs were sturdy”. That would be a very polite way to describe my legs!
    As you’ve seen, there are lots of lovely folk on her with lots of experience prepared to share and help.
    Meanwhile, congratulations.

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi Frog, It used to be hard, but it isn’t my favourite type of chocky but it is always there to nibble on like I did this week because I let the stress get to me. Ahhhh. Tell you what the factory does smell really yummy sometimes too, just adding calories on the inhale haha. I agree totally about the yogurt and I had a nice plain Greek one in the fridge and berries in the freezer but my naughty hubby brought home some sensational thick Greek (sweetened) yoghurt with the passion fruit in it (to which he later apologised) It was there, so I ate it. So easy when that voice in my head starts yacking at me… ‘ go on, just a little bit, with cream, go on, it’ll be right’ With cream?? I hear you say,
    Yes, I forgot to mention that ๐Ÿ˜ซ
    Cherries, yum, none here in Aus at the moment. I’ll try to remember they are high carb. Xx

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hey Snoop, thanks, I’m quite amazed actually because of my blowouts and it’s proof to me that this BSD works and this week I’ll be making much better choices. I’ll have to google the Stevie Wonder song for a listen and a smile.
    To all of us in the Sturdy Leg Brigade may we all find the success we seek.
    Much love to all. Xx

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

YOWZER49.
    I like that we be twins.
    CELLULITE BE GONE.

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hi FLOWERPOTtwin!
    Sturdy Leg Brigade is funny!
    Stevie wonder song is Living For the City!

A boy is born in hard time Mississippi
    Surrounded by four walls that ain’t so pretty
    His parents give him love and affection
    To keep him strong moving in the right direction
    Living just enough, just enough for the city…ee ha!

His father works some days for fourteen hours
    And you can bet he barely makes a dollar
    His mother goes to scrub the floor for many
    And you’d best believe she hardly gets a penny
    Living just enough, just enough for the city…yeah

His sister’s black but she is sho ’nuff pretty
    Her skirt is short but Lord her legs are sturdy
    To walk to school she’s got to get up early
    Her clothes are old but never are they dirty
    Living just enough, just enough for the city…um hum

Her brother’s smart he’s got more sense than many
    His patience’s long but soon he won’t have any
    To find a job is like a haystack needle
    Cause where he lives they don’t use colored people
    Living just enough, just enough for the city…
    Living just enough…
    For the city…ooh,ooh
    [repeat several times]

His hair is long, his feet are hard and gritty
    He spends his love walking the streets of New York City
    He’s almost dead from breathing on air pollution
    He tried to vote but to him there’s no solution
    Living just enough, just enough for the city…yeah, yeah, yeah!

I hope you hear inside my voice of sorrow
    And that it motivates you to make a better tomorrow
    This place is cruel no where could be much colder
    If we don’t change the world will soon be over
    Living just enough, just enough for the city!!!!

La, la, la, la, la, la,
    Da Ba Da Da Da Da Da Da
    Da Da Da Da Da Da
    Da Ba Da Da Da Da Da Da Da
    [Repeat to end]

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Hi yowzer49, I ‘ituned’ the song and the snippet that played had that line about her sturdy legs and I laughed. Funny how things work out. Way cool. Hehe

• posted by topcac
    on

Hi all – it’s my first day today. I’m still feeling positive (and not yet had any hunger pangs) and it’s mid afternoon. I’m doing this because I’m totally addicted to refined sugars – I’ve always had a sweet tooth but can also work my way through a whole loaf of bread a day, crisps, chocolate – you name it. I have a sedentary job and I got a FitBit for my birthday so I’m upping my exercise and this is to complement it – plus I don’t want to be diabetic, at any point…ever!

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Hiiii TOPCAC! Welcome to the BSD gang! Youve made a great decision to take control of yr life!
    I was just the same as you..could easily eat a whole load of starch and sugar every day..but then i heard about BSD and the great results a friend had had in just eight weeks.i gave it a go and to my surprise,it was much easier than i expected…it really seems the less carbs you have,the less you miss them! And the results are very encouraging! Ive lost 36 lbs in nine weeks .ok you might get a few rocky moments in the early days as your body adjusts..i suggest you call into the forum for encouragement and advice if that happens..people here are veyr helpful and kind
    Best of luck and keep us posted on yr progress! X

• posted by Flowerpot
    on

Yay welcome TOPCAC, its only early days for me still too, just started week 2, but by heck this forum is really helpful and full of awesome people who been thru ALL the ups and downs. And YOWZER49 brilliant effort!! 36 lb in nine weeks!! Love it!

• posted by topcac
    on

Hey morning all – day two and things did not go at all well last night – around 11am I started with a headache. By the time I got home I had a full blown migraine but thought it might be lack of food so had a lovely chicken and asparagus salad for dinner – unfortunately I saw it all again less than an hour later (waste of calories!) and didn’t get rid of the headache until about 5am – anyone else feel this rough on days 1/2? On a positive note I haven’t felt hungry at all!

• posted by topcac
    on

Yowzer49 – you’ve done amazingly well btw – you shall be my inspiration ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Hi topcac

Migraine is miserable, but was most likely triggered of by not eating regularly, as you may already know, if you have a lot of migraines, but on this plan you do need to drink at least 3 litres and add some salt to your food, your body will be excreting a lot of both, and as you are eating clean not salty food,, you most likely are deficient. So just sprinkle a little on your food. Water and salt is all you need to counteract the carb withdrawal. Occasionally for some this can go on for a week or so, so just plan your meals so you are not hungry, drink, add salt, and wait for the delightful results. Keep us posted, in a month you will be amazed with yourself.
    Regards Jan ๐Ÿ˜Š

• posted by topcac
    on

Thanks Jan – day three and I feel fine today. I drank 3 litres of water yesterday and will try to do the same today (not easy – I detest water). I really don’t suffer from migraines – maybe one or two a year so it may have been coincidence or psychosomatic but I will take on board your comments about salt – I actually added it to my dinner last night which I don’t normally do so maybe my body is prompting me anyway! Not feeling hungry and just munching my way through breakfast as I type. I know this sounds perverse but I am actually looking forward to the carb withdrawal – can’t wait for this poison to get the hell out! Will keep you posted on progress ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by greenjanet
    on

Great stuff, I tend to have my water with some slices of lemon in it so good vit c, which we need to absorb the iron and protein we are eating, it makes it taste very nice also. Keep up the good work.
    Regards jan

• posted by topcac
    on

Hello all – I should probably start my own thread about my journey but – I’ll just keep on this one if that’s OK. Day four and i’m OK. However, I’ve realised that shake for breakfast (melon, blueberry, spinach and almond milk) is going to be a no-no – I have no idea how people manage on the meal replacements – I miss actually eating. I haven’t really been hungry but have been more obsessed about food than the other days. I did jump on the scales this morning….5lbs off….in three days…WTF!!! So delighted with that – seriously motivating and I can feel myself getting healthier (definitely all in my head by positive mental attitude and all that)

Hope your journeys are all going well xx

• posted by Yowzer49
    on

Wooo hooo TOPCAC highfive!
    Well done xisnt it lovely when you see the scales go down!๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป
    I agree re shakes..that one sounds delicious but prefer to get my teeth into real grub!
    Stay motivated and positive and healthier.Ypur body is thanking you for looking after it! X

• posted by topcac
    on

So Day 5 for me – feel a bit fluey today but apparently that’s not unusual. Even more unfortunately have a shake again for breakfast as my OH insisted we had to use up the melon and blueberries that were left!! Not happy but took it rather than get into an argument!!

So maybe another hungry day ๐Ÿ™ drinking water like it’s a second job and gonna try and stave off breakfast as late as possible to make the gap between that and lunch as small as possible!!

Have a good day all xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.