Moving to 5:2

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by EsmeWeatherwax
    on

Hi
    I finish 8 weeks of 800 calories a day tomorrow, I’m really pleased with my weight loss but I would like to lose a little more so I’m moving on to the 5:2, 8 weeks of 800 calories has been enough for me. I’m a little nervous of the non fast days tbh, it feels like a lot to go back to a normal calorie intake again and introducing some carbs back into my diet. It would be great to hear what other people’s experience has been.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi,

Can I suggest that rather than introducing more carbs, you instead simply focus on keeping the carb levels the same and just add more calories on the days you eat more. – So for example add some melted butter on the veg, or some double cream to a sauce.

There are two ways of looking at eating low carb – its a diet, you cut out the carbs and calories for a while then go back to the way you used to eat which takes you back to the problems you used to have. – Or its a different way of eating for life. – You keep the carbs low and while you want your body to reduce the amount of fat in your system you keep your calories low and when you are down to the level of fat you want to maintain at you increase the fat you eat to provide your body with additional fuel.

• posted by freester
    on

Hi. It was a year ago I went from 6 weeks 800 cals (I did my 10% in 6 weeks) to maintenance. Like you this was probably more intimidating than the 800 cal phase. How do I up the calories? How much is enough? What if I don’t eat enough? What if I undo all the good work..?

Initially I started out 5:2 but only did that for a few weeks. The BSD book really says up the calories, by bigger portions, more nuts / oils etc.

My personal approach was just that. If you are anything like me you’ve trained yourself to smaller portions so it’s a bit hard to up them. I just made more and ate more apart from 800 cal days. My weight gradually kept coming down. I didn’t introduce any extra carbs, but maybe upped the portions of the good unprocessed carbs ‘allowed’ in the books (eg, Quinoa / Bulgar Wheat, pulses, occasional slice of Rye / Spelt bread). Allowed myself an occasional glass of red. Started exploring new on plan recipes.

So I’ve stuck to the Way of Eating. I’ve upped the portions (it’s surprising how little you need to fill up and that constant carb hunger has gone away). I do now weigh most days. I can pretty much tell when I’ve gained or lost a pound or two on how full I felt the night before. It was nerve wracking but stick to the principles, stay in control and the weight should still creep off.

Alternatively other people say calculate your Calorie requirement to break even. I did this for a while but it was too much faff. LOL.

• posted by EsmeWeatherwax
    on

Hi
    It has been quite intimidating, and I’ve been asking myself all the same questions! I’ve noticed I’m full on less which is good and over the last day or so I’ve upped the portions from the recipe book and I got the Fast Diet book as well. I’m allowing myself a little low GI carbs, more porridge in the morning and I had a slice of gluten free wholemeal toast later on ( I have a gluten intolerance, I’m not following the fad of gluten free being healthier). Will see how it goes and hopefully I’ll find my balance.

• posted by freester
    on

My rule of thumb from the BSD Recipe book was if it was a meal for 2 up the portions. A recipe for 4 I would divide into 3, one for me, one for Mrs F and one for lunch. If the recipe involved nuts / eggs / oils up the portions. There is no hard fast way but you will find your way and as long as you stick to the principles you won’t go wrong. IMO.

Please log in or register to post a reply.