Move more and get fit

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Michael (BSD Admin)
    on

We all know that we should exercise, but many of us find it hard to find the time. I think the best way to ensure you do stick with it is to build more activity into your life and also to aim, as I do, to do regular bursts of brief exercise. This means not just aerobic exercise, like cycling, but muscle building by doing resistance exercises.

However unfit you may be, simply moving more and gradually increasing what you do is a great way to start. Do get advice on starting a program if you are not sure. Flushing out the sugar stored in your muscles helps keep your sugars down, so it’s well worth the effort!

• posted by Arran Granny
    on

The best thing I bought is a cross trainer – its great for short bursts – even waiting on the kettle boiling

• posted by Natalie
    on

I would love to get a cross trainer, but after the treadmill I wanted gathered dust for ten years before we finally got rid of it, I don’t think my husband would allow it!

• posted by Scottie_72
    on

I’m going to make an effort tomorrow and go for a brisk walk 20 mins possibly 30mins – surely its got to be better than nothing! x

• posted by dawnmc
    on

If you can’t get out I can recommend Leslie Sansome or Jessica smith walks. Jess smith is on you tube for free.

• posted by Bordercol
    on

Michael do you know of a monitor which would genuinely record a wide range of movement? I cannot walk much owing to a foot problem, but am constantly trying to add NEAT into my life. I would be very motivated by a monitor which does not rely on steps taken. I researched the GRUVE which seems to be what I want but not really available with any support here in UK.
    Thankyou.

• posted by Paul C (BSD Admin)
    on

The GRUVE does seem to be the only NEAT specific activity monitor but yes, it doesn’t seem to have really made its way to the UK just yet. Most of the support seems to be in the form of the connected website so it may be worth getting one – the website shouldn’t be location specific.

Another alternative may be to use something like the Garmin vivofit HR which makes a bigger deal of heart rate and uses that for monitoring as well as steps. It won’t be ideal but may fit the bill well enough.

• posted by Bordercol
    on

Thanks Paulclare.
    I don’t really want to be tied to a website. I would like something that monitors all NEAT and perhaps changes colour so that I can check toward the end of the day to see if I have done enough, and then add in some activity if needed. Simple really, nothing complicated.
    The Garmin might be a possibility, I hadn’t thought of monitoring via heart rate, but would that depend upon hitting certain levels of exertion? I mainly want to keep a progress check on all the activity all day , most of which will not be raising heart rate significantly or for any length of time.

• posted by pmshrink
    on

Hi Bordercol
    On My Fitness Pal you can write in what you’ve done and it works out what cals you’ve used.
    Obviously you have to time yourself but it can be linked to various monitoring gadgets.
    Penny

• posted by NiKe70
    on

Hi I am Day 5 tomorrow. This is the only diet I think I’ve ever enjoyed. Being type 2 D for 6 years I have finally made a stark reality check with myself.
    I am a little concerned that I have gone over my 800 cals the last couple of days by about 30 to 50 cals…
    But I am also thrilled that I have gone from having good no exercise to almost 10000 steps every day which is equating to just over an hour of brisk walking.
    The calories I’m burning walking – will that impact on me going over slightly ???

• posted by TraceyH31
    on

Can anyone advise whether you should eat after exercise? I go to an exercise class twice a week in the evening at 7pm. I get in from work at 5 but find if I have my evening meal then it’s too much before the class. If I don’t eat beforehand I struggle with the class as I find I’m lacking in energy. I’ve found the best thing so far is to have something light like a poached egg and half an avocado at 5pm. My husband says I should also have some protein after the class but I’m not very often hungry afterwards so I don’t bother. Should I or shouldn’t I be eating again after exercise?

• posted by Celsa
    on

Hi Tracey, I’m assuming by your username that you’re female – on a recent episode of Trust Me I’m a Doctor they showed that women burn more fat if they eat (they consumed a carbohydrate beverage in the experiment) before working out, and then not eating for 90 mins afterward. Men were better off working out on an empty stomach and eating straight after.

• posted by TraceyH31
    on

Hi Chelsea that’s really helpful thanks. I don’t really want to eat that late in the evening unless I have to so I continue as I am ano just drink plenty of fluids when I get home

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi all,

Having ‘stuck’ to walking short distances since commencing BSD several weeks ago, yesterday I inadvertently walked further. Went shopping and parked the car between 2 major shopping complexes, so I had to walk 1km and back from each one. It’s amazing how quickly the daily step count increased.

By the end of the day I’d walked 11 254 steps all by parking the car in a different position as well as taking my daily walk at home and the incidental activity inherent in our busy lifestyles.

• posted by MerryMary
    on

Well done Switzerland. It is the small changes to our normal routine that will make all the difference in the long run isn’t it?

• posted by Type2Partner
    on

I can recommend a mini trampoline ( rebounder) for a quick workout. Can be surprisingly energetic. Lots how how-to videos on u-tube. They’re fairly cheap, don’t take up too much room, and you can even watch TV while you bounce! They store nicely behind the sofa. Rebounding is supposed to be extra good exercise, it’s weight bearing, but lower impact than running etc. It’s what NASA recommends, that’s good enough for me…

• posted by SkyWalker
    on

An inexpensive treadmill is safer c£139.99 on auction sites – mine is brilliant, also exercise bikes under £100

• posted by Switzerland
    on

Hi everyone,

A daily walk…..time for me…..exercise contributing to my sense of wellbeing….. assisting with weight loss…..life is good.

• posted by AudreyLee
    on

I want to share my little story that can help someone. I stopped taking bus to and from work. I wake up an hour later now and work to my office. And I eat what I want. I have already lost 7 pounds in a week!

• posted by RonaldGuzman
    on

I just loved the forum title. I hope it will motivate me to stay fit.

• posted by tonypee73
    on

For resistance training I thoroughly recommend getting a TRX suspension kit. They are cheap (from £25 on Amazon) , very small to pack away in its carry pouch, you hang it over the top of a door, there are loads of demo videos on Youtube, and the exercises can be done quickly. Give it a go.

Please log in or register to post a reply.