Mindfulness Based Stress Control: scuba diving

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Jackie WilsonSaid
    on

On a recent holiday I was reminded again of the scuba – mindfulness link, some 25 years on since my last dive, and 35 years since I completed the PADI Certificate in a pool in Dallas and a river near Austin. In diving, the slower and steadier you breathe, through a regulator attached to an oxygen tank, the longer your air lasts and the calmer you feel. Underwater there isn’t much to distract you from the outside world – it is a world removed from phone calls, e-mails and other interferences. You concentrate on what’s in front of you – the wonders of the reef and sea life – and the present.

We had a dive instructor/leader who helped my daughter through the basic scuba qualification and whose ability to connect was noticeable. It’s a bit special interest, but since we came home I accidentally discovered this programme on youtube, which explains why he was so good [and mindful]. Mauritius and scuba was a lovely antidote to our news and catastrophe driven culture that leads many of us into unhealthy lifestyles as we try to escape. Mindful breathing/meditation is an everyday alternative.

https://youtu.be/fXBbmNbk4ow

Unsubscribe to stop receiving email notices of new replies •
    Save this topic to your favourites

Please log in or register to post a reply.