Milk and Poridge

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by VK
    on

Just started my 8 week diet… Is Poridge for breakfast OK… And milk generally in tea and coffee…

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi VK, welcome. As you are T2 you will be looking to control your numbers and, although porridge made from proper oats (not pre-made) is okay as a good carb but still high in carbs. What makes it good is that it is slow burning so keeps you full longer, it is also very good for reducing cholesterol. However, it is something you want to limit and if you are having it for breakfast only have around once or twice a week and only 25g serving also try soaking it over night to release some of the starch. It changes it in some way that makes it better but I cant remember the science. Milk is also fine, even full fat but do count the calories. They can soon add up if you are having 5 or 6 cups per day. You might want to experiment with green teas with the flavours but not to be mistaken for the fruit teas which are not tea at all, just sweet drinks. Good luck.

• posted by VK
    on

Thank you for responding. That’s very helpful..ill have Poridge couple of times a week and will look into soaking over night, never occurred to me. Thank you.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I soak mine overnight, because it cooks quicker. Had no idea it also made it healthier.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Squidge, something to do with it being higher is resistant starch. It is okay to cook it as the other benefits of overnight soaking is quicker to cook and easier to digest. There is a theory that all starchy food can be improved by cooling and reheating i.e. rice, pasta even potatoes.

Please log in or register to post a reply.