Measuring carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Sarah49
    on

Hi all – just starting but my books don’t arrive for a couple of weeks yet so going it alone so to speak.
    Can anyone help me with the basics please? I understand 800 cal per day but how do you measure carbs? Can’t see anything in MFP?
    Also should you fast ? I see some miss out breakfast .
    Really appreciate any inputs!!many thanks !

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Sarah49, While waiting for the books I think a good place to start is with the recipes on this site. I have just had a quick look and noticed 2 very nice breakfast recipes and a couple of lunches just on the first 6 recipes. The carbs and calories are already counted for you. I don’t count carbs I just follow the books recipes, don’t eat simple carbs and use some common sense although I was caught out today eating cashews when I found that 100g = 27g carbs whereas almonds contain 7g of carbs per 100 g. I use a site called Sparkpeople.com which is very user friendly and free but I don’t have an app although I think you can log on with your phone. I am an oldie so not down with it.

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

How are you looking at MFP, Sarah?

On my computer I can see the whole nutritional breakdown of everything, but on my phone I have to turn it sideways (on the food diary page) and then you can see how many carbs, fat, protein, sodium, sugar etc etc and get a total per meal and per day.

Hope that helps! It took me some time to realise that….. 😉

• posted by Verano
    on

Hi Sarah

I use Fatsecret uk which us very flexible and has lots of uk supermarket items. Can use an app or pc.

Good luck!

• posted by Frog
    on

I’ve just found the monthly overview of daily carbs, exercise and averages that you mentioned I like that a lot!
    Is there anywhere you can get it do display a graph of weight loss Verano?
    (yes, I know I’ve only been using it three days, but thinking ahead!!!)

• posted by Verano
    on

HI Frog
    Yes. Just look at My Journal on right hand side of screen click on Weight History and BINGO!! Also if you scroll down slightly you will see a list of options on the right hand side of the screen to change starting weight etc. You can also add historical weights which may let you input your weight history from MFP. You won’t feel like you’re starting from scratch then.

• posted by Frog
    on

Brilliant, thanks Verano – I’d hovered over it, decided I didn’t want to keep a journal on there, and not clicked through to see the other stuff.

I also found a journal entry from 2010 “diagnosed as horribly anaemic – ferratin level of 3, should be 40-50” glad I don’t feel that crappy anymore – I can remember it taking me about half an hour to walk to the GPs, and needing to sit in the park & rest on the way back – it’s about five minutes brisk walk!

I had thought about reentering stuff from MFP – just doing the weights wouldn’t take too long (I could even miss the bits where I’ve put a bit on and lost it again, making it look like a steady descent!)

• posted by Verano
    on

Now would that be called ‘cheating’ LOL!!!!

• posted by Sarah49
    on

Hi all
    A big thank you for all your helpful responses.
    I did try to post a couple of days ago but it’s not gone on here – so trying again …
    Thank you igorasusual ( lovely name)
    For the MFP help – learnt loads !
    Really appreciate your help !😀

Please log in or register to post a reply.