Meal replacement shakes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Kasnowy
    on

In the book, it was recommended as an option to start on meal replacement shakes and then to move onto real food. What shakes are recommended that have the required nutrients?

• posted by Jescinta
    on

What brand of replacement shakes are you all using?
    In the book it said I’d find brands recommened but can’t seem to come across them.
    Thanks.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Jescinta, the thread you have posted on is now 2 years old and I dont think anyone who posted is still here. I think that maybe says more about the meal replacement shakes than anything else. I dont know anyone who has been successful with them or found one that is not full of either sugar, carbs or chemicals. The ones used by Prof Taylor in the original research were high in protein, minerals and vitamins and were 200 cals each with 4 per day. The reason for the shakes was that people had just had bariatric surgery and were unable to eat solid food. In my opinion the solid food option is the best route and you get a good nourishing diet with lots of variety and it teaches you a new way of eating that will benefit you for much longer then drinking your diet.

I see you are a mother and probably think the shakes will be the easy option so you are not cooking special meals just for you. There is no reason you cannot eat as a family on this plan. You just make your normal meat, fish or chicken dish, leave out the starchy carbs on your plate and add a good amount of vegetables. Good luck.

• posted by Jescinta
    on

Thanks.
    Beeen eating real food, just thought about the shake as a top up if need be.
    Thanks for your response.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Jescinta, anything that helps get you through is okay. I personally make an extra portion of things that can be frozen like bolognaise sauce or chicken casserole. Then when I dont feel like cooking an evening meal I have something to go to. I also resort to the occasional WW soup for a quick lunch. Have you thought of making your own shakes. I am very fond of spinach with berry fruits, a few nuts and seeds with almond milk. You need a machine to do the whizzing though.

• posted by Squidge
    on

I make lots of vegetable soup and freeze batches of that, so I can just warm it up. To me that feels more like a proper meal than a shake. I think that would just seem like a drink to me and I’d soon be wanting real food.

• posted by Jescinta
    on

Thanks for your reply. Made several meals and yes do make my own shakes. This is w1d4 and down 3.2 kg so happy with progress so far.

Please log in or register to post a reply.