meal replacement bars & shakes

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Hershel
    on

Just starting out. Can anyone reccommend meal replacement bars & shakes that are available in the US? Or is this a verboten topic?

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi Hershel. Although Professor Taylor used shakes in the initial trials of this diet, that was because he was treating people who had undergone stomach reductions and were unable to eat real food. Also the shakes were medically calculated to provide the correct nutrients. Most commercial shakes and meal replacements are high in sugars and/or carbs and full of chemically processed additions we tend not to use them on this diet (although I didn’t check which plan you are following, the BSD or the Fast800). Dr Mosley took the principles of Prof Taylor’s diet and turned it into something everyone could manage without shakes etc and we tend to eat real food. I know some busy lifestyles could benefit from something that is grab and go or easy to mix without worrying about shopping, menu planning etc and that would be up to you. I would say that is okay for the occasional meal when you are in a hurry but as it is totally unsatisfying, boring, repetitive and not very filling or mouth satisfying (humans need to chew) it is a very hard way to do this diet long term. I am not in America so cannot advise on the best products although we do have quite a few Americans on board. Just be sure you are getting something low in carbs and sugars that is natural without loads of artificial sweeteners and chemicals. Is there a reason you want to go the bars and shakes route. Good luck.

• posted by alliecat
    on

H1, Herschel! 1 am Amer1can, and the only products that 1 would look 1nto are those by Dr. Josh Axe. You can f1nd
    h1s s1te w1th a qu1ck google. They are pr1cey, though. 1 share Sunsh1ne’s bel1ef that conven1ence food 1s loaded
    w1th h1dden sugars. Those of us who have been follow1ng th1s l1festyle for a number of years usually don’t go
    th1s route, and learn to use whole foods 1n healthy proport1ons. Us1ng shakes and bars only postpones the learn1ng
    curve that we all must master to be successful long term. The 1nvestment 1n yourself 1s SO very worth 1t 🙂

All1e

• posted by Firefox7275
    on

Hi Hershel: Not sure which of Dr Mosley’s books you have read, so forgive me if I am repeating information you already have.

In ‘The Fast 800’ book (p.136) Dr Mosley implies that there are a few brands “more suited to a low-carb Mediterranean style of eating [than] the meal replacement shakes [which] contain added sugar, taste artificial and are surprisingly high in carbs.
    If you want to go the shake route you should aim for something low in carbs, and containing plenty of protein, enough fat and decent amounts of fibre.”

The new Fast 800 website has the full ingredients list (in order most to least) and complete nutrition list (in the UK net carbs are listed, fibre is already subtracted) for their own brand shakes, which should help you find a similar US product to modify.

The basics are whey protein powder, a ground seed and a ground nut, some prEbiotic fibres, a prObiotic blend, multi vitamin/ multi mineral. No real ‘wild cards’ ingredients for a shake. Would be like sawdust as a meal replacement bar though! Bars tend to have a pleasant mouthfeel from a high fat or high sugar syrup content.

There is a new Fast 800 recipe book being released in a couple of weeks which might also be of use? You might consider making batches of Blood Sugar Diet/ Fast 800 friendly blended soups and smoothies to portion and freeze as homemade meal replacements.

Do you have a trusted pharmacist, registered dietician or medical doctor overseeing the initial ‘strict’ phase of your programme? They should be able to help you identify suitable brands or to come up with or double-check basic DIY recipes.

HTH! 😉

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

I should have looked at your profile before commenting. Hershel, you are prediabetic and you have every chance of changing that diagnosis by simply following the BSD 800 for 8 weeks and then going on the Mediterranean diet for maintenance. Forget about the shakes and bars, the wont do you any good, as alliecat says in her ‘my computer 1s busted’ way, you need a long term strategy and that will not come for drinking shakes. You will be bored within days or a week and will be back to your old way of eating. Trust us, you can do this.

• posted by Squidge
    on

Meal replacements aren’t the wrst thing you could eat, but they’re a temporary solution. If you possibly can I suggest including at least some ‘real’ food in your diet.

Please log in or register to post a reply.