Maximum carbs

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by kevpartner
    on

I know it varies from person to person but is there a ballpark figure for the maximum grams of carbs you should get in a day? Or what percentage of our calories should come from carbs under this regime? It would really help in planning our meals.

• posted by Cherrianne
    on

I would really like more info on this too. Some sites suggest aiming for 15g carbs per meal, max of 50g/day for type 2 on a low carb diet. I’ve found I really need to be vigilant and use a diary app to monitor my carb intake, otherwise I can eat low cal foods but still have a high carb intake. By keeping my carbs to 45-50g a day I can maintain a fasting blood sugar under 5.5, and under 7 after meals. This works for me. I think you have to see what works for you by doing a few days of blood sugar monitoring at different times of the day, and keep track of what carbs you ate so you can see your body’s response to them. Good luck kevpartner with your healthy eating, wishing you success

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi Kevpartner welcome

Carbs are complicated! There’s good & bad ( not so good ) ones. The daily amount or reference intakes as they are now known, are a mine field to decipher on lots of web sites. I can’t take many carbs as they spike my blood sugars. It took a long time & years before type 2 diagnosis for me to recognise this
    Here goes.

Diabetes uk diabetes.org.uk daily CARBS
    Women = 230g. Men = 300g. Varies according to age, weight & activity levels. Carb consumption = major factor in glucose control therefore portion size important

NHS Choices http://www.nhs.uk. Average size woman doing avg amount physical activity Reference daily intake
    Energy – 8,400Kj/2,000 Kcal. Total Fat 70g. Saturates 20g. CARBOHYDRATES 260g. Total Sugars 90g. Protein 50g
    Salt 6g

USA. Institute of medicine. iom.nationalacademies.org. Adults should get calories from – 45% – 65% from CARBS
    20% – 35% from fat & 10% – 35% from protein. At least 130g of CARBS per day

UK NHS wants us to conform to the eatwell plate!

45% – 65% CARBS of 800 calories daily is between 90g – 130g of CARBS daily

The original SHAKES used in the Newcastle uni diet with Prof Roy Taylor were Optifast (an Australian based company , hard for us to get hold of same). Optifast.com.au. This is a breakdown of their SHAKES
    VLCD = very low calorie diet. 3 shakes a day + up to 3 portions of non – starchy veg each day for fibre content to provide another 200 calories. Original 800 calorie diet
    SHAKES = Energy Kj 870. Energy cal 207. Protein 17.5g. Fat 4.5g. CARBOHYDRATES 22.5g. Sugar 17.8g. Dietary fibre 3.6g. Gluten NO. Lactose YES. GI 24 – 33
    Three Shakes a day at 22.5g is 67.5g CARBS daily + CARBS in the Veg. This was a controlled experiment with 800 calories under strict medical supervision Google ncl type 2 diabetes. Print out what you need

50 – 70g of CARBS daily is low enough to produce Ketones. Ketosis burns fat! Be very careful of this especially if you are Type 1 diabetic on insulin. We want to burn the fat off BUT safely!

Lots of info for you to check out yourself & make suitable decisions on. Read Going Low Carb BSD book by
    Dr Mosley p 80. Check the GI value & CARBS in your food & try & stick with the Mediterranean diet. It’s only 8 weeks of your life, but it could save it
    Best of luck. We’re here to help
    Eureka

• posted by carommartin
    on

Does Dr Mosley recommend a maximum carb figure please?

• posted by weescotty
    on

Eeureka . Re Eatwell plate. Didn’t Michael Mosley mention that in a talk he gave, noting it doesn’t reflect this later thinking? probably saw it on the video he has added on his blog on this website. I still see ‘trusted’ government advice on the drinking of 8 glasses of water per day which has been discredited for some while now. Pinch of salt and watchfulness methinks.

• posted by Eureka
    on

Hi weescotty
    It’s important to research & aquire knowledge if you are a diabetic. Knowledge is power! Armed with that you can make informed decisions about your course of treatment, & not just rely on your GP’s opinion ( or lack of it)
    On diagnosis, 3 years ago, I was told to “eat potatoes, & DON’T test your blood sugar”???
    I found the Juggle course ( 4 days over 4 weeks nutritional advice etc, myself).
    I did not agree with the amount of carbs , Re: Eatwell Plate that I was informed was crucial to my diabetic health! I also had to chase up an appointment for my diabetic eye test, despite informing my then GP of problems with my vision! That took 4 months!?
    It’s been necessary for me to find out information & then act on it ( or try to) to help myself as a Type 2 Diabetic. My original GP refused to monitor me even if I contacted prof Taylor to start his diet! ( That was prior to this BSD book being published. A life saver it is turning out to be for so many 😀 ) Hence my plea to look at the info, check it out & then make suitable decisions for yourself. We have to take responsibility for ourselves too.

Take ‘official diabetic information’ with a salt pan until YOU have checked it out & are satisfied.

Change is afoot & we will make that happen for Type 2 Diabetics. Decision makers have long known the truth about low carb diets & the damage caused by sugar & simple carbs. Big Bucks talk longest & loudest!! ??

Many informed dr’s, nutritionist & scientist have had their reports ridiculed & careers quashed for Nay Saying the published professed TRUTH fed to us as Diabetics & quite literally KILLING US. Both my parents were Type 2 Diabetics & died as a consequence. I’m riding this horse to the end for them. No one is getting in my way. I’ll tell you when I’m crossing the finish line with all my guns blazing

Please log in or register to post a reply.