Marigold Bouillon is it OK as a drink when fasting?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi I am back after several years and more weight on. My GP surgery are now suggesting low carb and fasting for approx 16 hours. I am giving it a try. When fasting I normally just have water and black coffee. Just wondered if anyone knew if Bouillon would spoil my efforts if I have it as a drink during my fast? I find it very satisfying especially on a cold day.

Thanks all.

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi barby, sorry but I don’t remember your name from before.

Before I answer, there is a thread called Supporting Those Fasting For Body Composition. It might be a good idea to post your question there. However, I have done a bit of research on what can be drunk during and fast and it is quite confusing. One site says canned or cubed boullion contains too many artificial flavours and preservatives which will interfer with your fast. Another says a stock cube in water is the ideal way to get some salt into your plan and only contains 11 calories. Other sources say you can have homemade bone broth which I would have thought really fatty as I have made my own and it had fat floating on the top. I personally would trust a stock cube in water or (depending on where you live) Marmite or Vegimite or a supermarket home brand of yeast extract drink.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks sunshine-girl, I have done what you suggested. Some of those people are serious fasters! I am vegetarian, so I might just try the marmite for now. Thanks for getting back to me.

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi barby,
    If you need something to get you through while you are getting started on fasting, that is fine. I’ve used veggie broth (I make it myself and freeze in ice cube trays for when needed or buy the higher quality organic ones in tetrapaks) to get me through fasts while I’ve been building up the length. Eventually though you’ll get used to it and 16 hours won’t feel hard at all, so you can drop it then. If you eventually want to fast for autophagy (not necessary for a lot of people, but I am as I have another health condition) then the broth may impact you being able to get into autophagy, but we all have to start somewhere.
    As s-g says, marmite or vegimite are likely good choices. Some of those boullion products are very ultra-processed.
    And don’t be intimidated by those of us on the fasting thread. We all started out where you are, and we’re a friendly bunch who are only too willing to offer advice.

• posted by barby
    on

Thanks articfox. I had half a teaspoon of marmite in the end, very satisfying. Our GP really recommends fasting for at least 16 hours. Just because insulin reduction. I’m 73 and can hardly walk with bad hip, can’t have an op until I lose several stone. Hoping if I could lose, may not need the operation. Yesterday I had a omelette with courgette, spinach, tomato, halloumi and cheddar, and has left over sliced potatoes. I should have thrown it away!!. Then at 6pm I had FF Greek yogurt, 6 blueberries, 1 teaspoon mixed chopped nuts and seeds. And jumbo oats soaked in hot water …2 flat desert spoons.
    On MFP I had 63 carbs which is too high. Should I not have oats do you think?

I’m veggie and don’t love cooking, but am trying new things, so I can keep to it this time.

Thanks for any advice.

on

Hi barby, you are lucky to have a doctor who understands the benefits of fasting and probably low carb eating. As for the oats, I wouldn’t it out as it has some very good benefits for heart health and cholesterol but try not to guess by using tablespoons. Actually weigh it and don’t have more that 30g, preferably 25g but also, don’t have it every day, just 2 or 3 times a week.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello.
    Approximately 16 hours can be from having an early evening meal at around 6pm to brunch at 10- 12ish. So not really a ‘fast’ that you would actually notice rather it’s just like missing breakfast.
    Low carb is important so maybe start at 50g a day and work downwards. Might be an idea to just count up the carbs you have in an average day now …. my guess is you will be shocked!
    Best of luck.

• posted by barby
    on

Hi Verano, thanks for replying

Yes I know it is not a” proper fast” as some of you do. My Doctor just explained that when you fast for at least 14 hours, the body starts to burn fat. I am doing 16 hours for now. I understand during fasting you can drink black coffee and water. I just wanted to know if there are any other options without ruining the process?

I am tracking on MFP and had 56 carbs yesterday, so am trying to reduce that. I’m vegetarian. I am no great cook so looking for simple foods. This is a big shock to my system as I used to snack rubbish foods on and off all day.

I did find a good Youtube channel by Heavenly fan, where she cooks vegan keto, and quite simple to do, but new ideas for me. However some items she uses, like creamed coconut, are low carb but quite high calories. Is that OK? Do I just ignore calories?

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello barby

I just read through this thread properly!

Can I start with the bad news. The chances of your hip recovering with weight loss are very slim. I’m assuming you have osteoarthritis? Once the cartilage in the hip has worn away, hence the pain, the only remedy is surgery …. been there, done that, even have the badge and the t-shirt!!!

I’m assuming ( sorry if it’s the wrong assumption) from your post the ‘insulin reduction’ is because you have T2? I am not a medic so can’t give you advice but my own experience with low carb eating reversed my T2. To keep my T2 at bay I will have to always eat a relatively low carb diet. I’v been eating this way for over 7 years now but have the occasional pasta dish or some other ‘treat’, but only very occasionally.

I don’t fast as such but do practice ‘Time Restricted Eating’, TRE, which in effect means not eating after around 7pm in the evening until lunch time the next day unless I’m very hungry and then I have breakfast. If you do have T2 you need to be very careful about extended fasting and I would suggest you only do that under your doctor’s guidance if you have T2.

Take a look at the dietdoctor website which has lots of veggie recipes and ideas and it also has great graphics which will help you understand the number of carbs in various foods and drinks at a glance. Oats aren’t the best idea but they are very very much better than a slice of white bread!

on

Hi barby, can I just say to Verano, although I agree with the not doing extended fasts I think barby is doing time restricted to 16 hours as advised by her doctor, which is quite do-able and as you said before, not a full fast. It is a good start along with the lowering of carbs and has gone down to around 56g. It can be a slow process to get used to the carbs and calories counts and get them sorted. Also, the weight loss is not to get rid of the pain, it is so she can have surgery which is not possible while she is overweight.

Barby you are doing all the right things, keep going and keep asking questions.

• posted by Verano
    on

Hello s-g. Maybe I was a bit unclear but I was meaning the TRE is fine and she’s obviously being monitored by her doctor for that. I was just talking about extended fasts that she shouldn’t undertake without her doctors say so. Sometimes it’s easy to get drawn into a thread without realising that your circumstances may differ from others.

Barby did say she hoped that losing weight might mean she didn’t need an op. I was just pointing out that it was unlikely that weight loss would mean she didn’t need the op as she will still be in pain if she has no cartilage!

• posted by barby
    on

Hi, and thanks sunshine girl.
    I do not have T2 luckily. I do have high BP and cholesterol, and a dodgy hip. My BMI is too high to have the hip operation, but also I want to lose weight too hopefully lower BP, and just make it easier to climb the stairs!!. My doctor recommends fasting 16 hrs, possibly eventually a bit more, and low carb for me. MFP helps guide me.
    I wanted half an apple with Greek yoghurt yesterday but MFP put me off. I had 41 carbs. Sometimes before bed I feel really hungry so that’s why I had the half teaspoon of marmite. I’ll try some decaf black coffee next time.

on

Yes V, we do seem to pick up different things from what people say. Selective reading, a bit like selective hearing. I’m sure barby will continue to talk with her doctor and he seems to be putting her on the right track.

• posted by Verano
    on

Yes sure she will!

Please log in or register to post a reply.