Manfi. Concerned about metabolism since finished diet

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by manfisews
    on

I am 44 years old, 5’5″ tall and in February started the BSD approximately 14 weeks ago. I lost 20pounds in total over 10 weeks (stuck at it like glue and yes it was hard at first). My start weight was 11stone 12 pounds, I am currently 10st6. I was not pre diabetic but needed to break the cycle of eating little protein and too many pieces of bread as my go to staple along with induldging in red wine too often. A year ago my weight maintained at 9st6pounds so had let it creep up through back end of 2015 only adding to it big time over Xmas. I am a VERY active person, I run daily on my treadmill, since starting the diet I have consistently averaged 84000 steps a week, I power walk for 45mins a day with the dog and have over the last 4 weeks started to train on a total gym to build some lean muscle adding in lean protein in to my diet also, I have also changed my steady runs for hiit workouts with sprinting for between 20 and 45/minutes. I haven’t significantly been able to up my calorie intake since officially finishing bsd, I gain if I eat more. Now averaging around 800-1000 calories a day. I am intermittent carb cycling so carb up days mixed with carb deplete days. I also exercise in a fasted state every day of the week. I occasionally have had a diet day off having healthy food, still no sugars though, but have had red wine on that day off. My major question here is I want to know if the low calorie diet has slowed my metabolism down as I haven’t had a drop in my weight for some time but know that I am counting and exercising right. I am still clean eating with no sugars and with limited off days. I wonder if my weight training is effecting my weight on the scales? I want to lose approximately another 13 pounds, would be even happy with 10. HELP!! Am I in trouble with my metabolism, has this low calories/carb diet damaged my hormones/thyroid function. I am panicking over this. Have booked in to see my GP tomorrow. Answers…anyone?

• posted by Sefirah
    on

Hi Manfi. Did you ever get a reply to your situation?

• posted by manfisews
    on

Hi sefirah

No didn’t get a reply I’m afraid, however, do now eat more calories (don’t strictly count them) also since my question my weight has settled around 9 stone (initial start weight of 11.12). I do eat bread occasionally but still very little sugary foods, some carbs, drink wine and exercise everyday. I think you can get stuck for a while on the weight loss front on BSD. I did switch my focus more on fat loss which resulted in major body tone/shape changes rather than weighing myself as often. You can check your temperature upon waking to check metabolism is functioning correctly, mine was so just stuck at it until the results happened. I have found this diet principle to be the best at keeping it off and changing for good. Life changer for me! Hope this helps.

• posted by Maharani kitten
    on

Hi Manfi. Do you or anyone else have more info about temperature and metabolism? One of the weirdest side effects of either this way of eating and/or diabetes meds for me is a wild disparity in body temperature that I’ve never experienced before. Either hot hot hot – sweating and feeling faint, much like menopause symptoms though that’s over for me, or feeling so cold, even in a warm room, that I have goose pimples, shiver and my skin feels very cold to the touch. Hadn’t considered it might be metabolic, and my GP just shrugs and talks about dehydration, but it’s definitely not that. Noticed it more since I started BSD. Mkx

Please log in or register to post a reply.