Making May Matter One Week at a time beginning 9th May 2023

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Soooo …. the Coronation Celebrations are over if you participated in the events and indulged in any Coronation Quiche !

We are well into May now, and hopefully enjoying finer weather and lots of gardening

So on we go, focused on our goals and objectives .

Many Thanks to you lovely people who continue to contribute and tell us how you are doing .Hopefully I will have a bit more time now things are getting back to normal .
    Take care everyone and very best wishes for this week

Wendy and sunshine-girl xx

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    Still doing well with eating.
    Cheese salad and one slice of low gi bread
    Pork steak and steamed veggies
    No nibbles or snacks – who is this person ?
    Moving about more
    No stress
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Thank you for setting up the new thread Wendy & sunshine-girl & well done everyone for their good progress!
    Very pleased to hear your husband is home now Wendy & doing well👏👏
    I’m getting back on track after a rather emotional weekend with our son going through a bad patch plus rather iffy food over the long weekend for us. My husband is going to be joining in with me eating 800 – 900 low carb daily calories after reading in Professor Roy Taylor’s book Reversing Type 2 Diabetes the 3 step plan & learning he needs to lose another 7 lbs in weight. It’s a short version of Professor Taylor’s research & outcome at Newcastle University that 5:2 is based upon & a very simple straightforward read. My goal is still to reach ten stone which fits with his guide & the information that it’s only a few grams of fat in the pancreas that causes all the problems amazed me!
    Oh well on we go & I will be trying replacing one of my two daily meals with an MM’s shake to see if that speeds our weight loss as well as still eating plenty of vegetables 😀 An ongoing experiment 🤔
    I hope everyone has a good week 🍀🍀
    Margaret xx

• posted by happysnap
    on

Thanks for the new thread, Wendy and Sunshine Girl!

this forum is what keeps me going- I would never be able to do it without you all! so thank you for being my support.
    Just want to post that I have just finished a 48 hour fast and cannot explain how proud I am. I think this is the first time that I feel in control of food, and not the other way round. I was planning to do a 24 hour fast but decided to keep it going as long as possible- up to 50 hours so almost got there. It was definitely easier than I expected although last night was hard- I was really hungry and couldn’t fall asleep but didn’t want to eat before going to sleep, because a shame for all those sleeping hours! But thankfully I managed to fall asleep and had a wonderful BSD breakfast this morning. So another victory for me!!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, welcome to a new week and thank you Wendy for setting it up.

I have to report a loss of exactly 1kg for the week. Still not bothering to set a goal. I have another week of nothing in the diary (food wise) so hopefully I can keep it up until next Monday when we are going to a local quiz night at a restaurant. I did say I was not going to put life on hold and, after a big health scare, I am going to live life to the full. Whoopeeee a pub quiz, that’s living :):)

Have a good week.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    I am suprised I am still here as in the past , the plateau would dishearten me and I would give up.
    This time I am not rushing to the scales.
    I have slowly changed the pattern of eating. So far I have got rid of snacking in between meals times.
    This next phase, I am reducing the window of time I eat in, I will reduce it by say half an hour a day so I end up with eating only between lunch and dinner. In that window I aim to eat fresh healthy food.
    I am surprised how much beige food I have left behind me. I know it’s a daft thought but chips , bread, cakes, biscuits etc are ,well, all beige. The food I eat now is more peacock bright colours (told you it was a daft thought) but fruit (just a small amount) salad ( tonnes of it) etc colourful and fresh fresh fresh .
    In a good place, no stress
    Regards
    Lucia

on

Hi all,

Lucia, great you are still here. I was answering a question from Happysnap about what do you wish you had known when you started and my reply was hitting a wall at around week 3 or 4. Get past that and you will be back on the journey. Dont give up.

Another small loss for me today. I would have liked to have been in the pool but we have back to back days of rain in France right now. Even feel like putting the heating back on but that feeling will pass:)

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Well done with the positive changes you are making Lucia.👏👏 & good to hear about your weight loss sunshine-girl!!
    Yesterday was good food wise & this morning I’ve played short mat bowls & have broken my fast since 7-0pm last night at 1-0pm today. I was tempted by tomato soup instead of a chocolate shake so chose to eat this & supper will be lettuce, cherry tomatoes, half a red pepper & a couple of slices of cold meats. I’m making sure I keep below 800-900 calories & if I have spare calories will eat a piece of fruit. Today has felt a bit of a wobbly day but I’m persevering.
    Onwards everyone 👍
    Margaret

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    The next step today is to not eat until lunchtime 1:30pm and to have final meal at 6;30pm if I can’t do it, I will do my best. I am giving myself two weeks to get there. So I have an aim and a good amount of time to get there so no stress.
    Moving more
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by happysnap
    on

Lucia, you sound like you are doing very well. Thanks for posting your short updates, its encouraging for me to hear how you are doing!
    Well done on the weight loss, Sunshine Girl. Every little helps!
    I have been noticing that even though my weight loss is painfully slow, (aside from an unexpected 3kg loss last week), I am definitely losing inches; I have even gotten comments from people who have noticed my loss- and all i’ve lost on the scale is 11lbs so far.
    So I am very pleased with progress so far. I actually started the BSD a while ago, i’m past my 8 weeks but I feel like for me, the first 8 weeks were a learning curve- a very, very steep one at that. Now that I have got it all down pat so to speak, it’ll probably be much easier going. I am not counting weeks, I am counting carbs and as long as it takes to reach my goal- I will be here!!

Some tips I’d like to share:
    I prepared a batch of garlic mayo dip, and I’m finding it very versatile! salad dressing, to dip veggie sticks in, as coating for chicken, etc. The recipe is very forgiving- I took a 1/2 cup of homemade mayo, added a clove of minced garlic, handful of parsley and some salt and pepper. You can adjust the amounts according to your preference.

Another thing I wanted to share that might be helpful to other BSDers is that I’ve gotten a gift which has made my life a lot simpler in terms of cooking and prepping food. Its a kitchen gadget called a pizza maker and its a bit of a misnomer because you can make absolutely anything in it- chicken, meat, fish, vegetables, etc- all done really fast! A piece of chicken cooked in about 45 minutes. Best part is that if you line it with bakewell paper, there’s no cleaning up afterwards. I’ve been experimenting with different recipes, if anyone is interested I can share them in a later post, but if you’re looking for shortcuts in the kitchen, this is a really, really, really good one! (its not too expensive, around £50-£60 on Amazon, there are several brands available).

on

Hi all, still here and still losing. Although….. today I bought a baguette as we have run out of breadcrumbs and they make the best but I couldnt resist some warm baguette with my salad. Lets see how that effects both weight and BG.

Happysnap, you say you have only lost 11lbs. Next time you are in a supermarket go a carry (in your arms) 5, 2lb bags of sugar and 4 packs of butter and then say it is not much. In my first 8 weeks I lost a total of 13lbs. I am on insulin and that keeps the weight on but I was more than happy with that.

I took my phone into the supermarket to check on the barcodes of different foods and poop, I didnt have any internet. I am so nul (stupid) when it comes to tech so not sure if I can go on roaming of whatever it is called. Please don’t try to teach me or you will be like my daughter pulling her hair out and rolling her eyes.

Talking of daughter. She is coming over with one grandson at the end of the month. She said he had just enough on his passport to get him out here and then back home. Watching Lorraine and a woman who does scams and moneysaving etc said she was going to talk about Amazon scams so I thought I would hang about and watch it. Instead she started to say that her passport, although it had an expiry date of say 10th August, actually ran out on 10th July because it was issued a month before it was due. I nagged daughter to check and double check. She rang the passport office and they said he couldnt travel as his passport expired September 11th but it had been issued on July 11th so she wouldnt have 3 months left on it, just one month. Long story short, she has an appointment at Newport passport office on Monday – a 100 mile drive – and a new passport will be received one week later – 22nd, she flys out on the 27th so it should be in good time. Phew….. Thank heaven for watching Lorraine.

Have a good week and I will be keeping everything crossed that the passport fiasco goes well.

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I fasted 15 hours until having a coffee with milk at 10-30 am then a Bovril for lunch & another coffee at 4-0pm. So a semi- fasting low calorie day. Now supper before 7-pm this evening is going to be the MM’s recipe of pesto fish baked on onions, peppers & courgettes with steamed asparagus, broccoli & green beans plus 150g of boiled sweet potatoes. Pud will be half a mango, I know not recommended for diabetics but it was left over from the weekend. Total 612 calories leaving room for a pear if needed. I have lost my weekend carby weight gain & hope to have lost more when I weigh on Saturday.
    Margaret

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    Still here!
    Kept the eating window between lunch and dinner time so very happy. I will stick to it for a few days then try and shrink it again.
    Still none of the beige stuff do feeling pretty show off-y!!
    In a good place no stress
    I think stress / and stressing out about weight or foods etc can knobble you. Making you fail.
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

I’ve just weighed & only a 0.5 lb difference from weighing last week but that also does include losing my weight gain from last weekend that was at least two pounds. I’m very mindful that I need to keep focused because my physios have told me the only way to help myself is to lose weight & keep exercising even if my knees are sore which they have been this last week & disturbing my sleep. I have two more stone to lose & since January have so far discarded 21lbs in weight. It’s slow but I’m plodding on.
    I hope everyone is doing well & will have an enjoyable weekend! It will be dry & sunny here in West Sussex so I’m going to the garden centre to buy tomato plants, runner bean plants, marigolds to plant with them & a selection of herbs to put in my planter near the kitchen.
    Margaret 🍀🍀

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Sunshine-girl I hope your daughter gets hers son’s passport in time 🤞🤞

on

Hi all, looks like the part baguette made just a small blip up by 0.2kgs but that went by the next day. Still losing – slowly. Was very good last night when hubby decided to pour himself a drink and asked me if I was having anything. NO. And I didnt.

Even though I wasnt able to use my Yuka app in the supermarket I can check out stuff when I get it home. Turns out the plain Greek yoghurt has more calories than Actimel (114 per 100 as against 75 for Actimel) but overall it is better in everything else. i.e. lower in carbs, sugar and salt, but high in fat but only 6.5g per 100 and we are not eating low fat, so will probably swap, still have 4 Actimel to finish.

Hopefully, daughter will get a passport for the little man and it will arrive in time for the holiday which is 2 weeks today. Fingers crossed.

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    So my first chink in the armour
    My hubby and I almost got physically attacked on the train today by two teenagers.
    So after getting off the train I went into marks and spencer store and got a small bit of chocolate
    I didn’t enjoy it (great) so I won’t do that again
    I only got a small pice not a carrier bag full
    I could be negative and give up because I failed
    But
    I am happy as I got a small amount and I didn’t like it so my taste buds are changing- I am celebrating the situation
    Now I am regrouping and carrying on, it was a blip , I slipped off the wagon but the wagon didn’t run me over. I climbed on the back of the wagon and and continuing
    Yes I was stressed but a quick recovery, hopefully next time I won’t reach for the chocolate
    Regards
    Lucia

• posted by Wendy1947
    on

Lucia how awful for you & your husband to be attacked on a train which is a place where we are all used to feeling safe & relaxed! I’m pleased to hear you were not hurt but I’m sure you still felt very shocked!
    A piece of chocolate is irrelevant in the long term & will not derail your weight loss efforts & in fact one square of dark chocolate is recommended by Michael Mosley in one of his books. Just take it one day at a time you can do this & have already started in a very positive way👍
    With best wishes
    Margaret

• posted by Lucia
    on

Hi
    Love staying the following things:
    Still here
    No nibbles
    Eating window reducing
    No beiges !!
    No stress
    Have a good day everyone
    Love
    Lucia

on

Hi all, small blip up over the weekend but nothing to worry about. Also it is that time of the month even though I havent had anything for 25 years, still get bloating etc. We are out for a meal tonight and, although it wont be carb heavy there will be some alcohol involved. I am not in any hurry to lose weight and my BG is looking really good again so I am super happy.

Daughter has had a meeting at the passport office and it should arrive within one week, which is plenty of time. Fingers and everything else are crossed.

Lucia, loved your analogy, you fell off the wagon but the wheels didnt go over you. I think I might just steal that for another day.

Have a good week everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone

I’m sorry I am a bit like the invisible woman at the moment but that’s just life right now !

I do read all the posts but I still haven’t caught up responding … I am still here rooting for you all !

I have to set up the new thread now as I have to go out later

See you over there !!xx

Please log in or register to post a reply.