Low potassium

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

Has anyone had problems with mineral deficiencies? I’ve had tingling in my arms and hands for the past few days and it’s been a lot worse today. I was having a look online and the symptoms of potassium deficiency matched other problems I’ve been having, heart palpitations and muscle weakness. I’ve had some cramps as well.
    I’m starting to get a bit nervous about this diet but don’t want to stop and would appreciate some advice. What should I do to quickly boost my levels (I think magnesium might be an issue too) without resorting to supplements? I’m on day 10 and have read it can be worst in the first 2 weeks .
    Thanks.

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

What are you eating? Are you following the meal plans or going your own way ? I didn’t have any problems, although I did supplement occasionally while doing the 800 calories, not specifically, just a general multivitamin and mineral tablet, once every couple of days. I am supplementing daily on my current fasting mimicking diet as well, but that is only a short period. The cramps could be sodium rather than potassium depletion, all lower carbohydrate diets cause retained sodium to be released from the body which lowers blood pressure among other benefits of the diet. If you don’t already, make sure you are adding salt to meals or use salty ingredients regularly like feta cheese or anchovies. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Try looking for some foods high in potassium but lower in carbs and incorporate them into your meals.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I’ve been using the book but making up my own menus as I don’t like a lot of the foods listed.
    I’ve just been doing a bit of research and see plain yoghurt is high in it. I’ve been eating Greek yoghurt most days, but it says normal is better so I’m going to get some tomorrow. I’ve been sprinkling my yoghurt with flaked almonds and sunflower seeds, both good, but perhaps not enough.
    I always use salt in my food, so I’m probably OK for sodium.
    I’ve been really thirsty all the time, despite drinking loads.
    I read that potassium is bound up in glycogen and is released in the first few weeks, and something about low insulin levels making a difference too. I maybe should’ve researched this first, I just bought the recipe book and thought I’d have a go.

• posted by Californiagirl
    on

My go-to for magnesium is Gerolsteiner Sparkling Mineral Water (in fact sitting at kitchen table with bottle right in front of me). It is great for this kind of thing, fills you up, hydrates and even has 25% of your calcium per bottle.

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

Interesting, I’ve got some mineral water in the fridge, I’ll see what’s in it.
    I remembered I had some mineral salt sachets in my bag from when I was sick last year, so I’ve taken one of those. My husband said “you must be worried!” Well, when you’ve had a racing heart with palpitations for days amongst other things, it is a bit worrying!

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Californiagirl, I finally got around to buying a bottle of Gerolsteiner based on your recommendation and I love it. It was so refreshing when I got back from doing 15,000 steps. All those minerals replenished my electrolytes like nobody’s business. Thank you for the suggestion. ๐Ÿ™‚

on

You’re welcome Esnecca! So happy you liked it! I am personally keeping them in business by drinking 2 liters a day (or more) — we are having a hot summer here in Northern California and Gerolsteiner water has kept me sane. Such a weird year — we had record rain, now such a hot summer — I like to keep it cold in the fridge in the barn and when I feel cranky or thirsty, I just drink straight out of the bottle!
    We can buy it here by the case at Trader Joes — I figure that with all the money I save on wine and on food this is just a small expense and worth it.
    Can’t tell you how many times I drank sparkling water instead of stuffing my face….. ๐Ÿ˜œ

• posted by Esnecca
    on

Good to know TJ sells it by the case. I found it at an organic market so of course it was very expensive. I checked Costco today on the offchance they carried it and they don’t. Let’s hope my local TJ here on the east coast stocks it.

on

Where are you located? I just spent a wonderful week in Montvale NJ and Chestnut Ridge NY at the Sunbridge Institute — am working to get my Waldorf teacher certificate — I have practiced law for 35 years but I want to do something different in my future — I am planning to open a Waldorf school here in Lake Tahoe, California

• posted by Esnecca
    on

I’m down south in Georgia, but my family is in Massachusetts. What a cool vocation for the next phase of your career. I’m fascinated by wholistic pedagogical approaches like Waldorf and Reggio that enlist childrens’ imagination and instill a love of learning instead of creating a regimented, dry, standardized testing-obsessed environment that drains any enthusiasm from students and teachers alike. It’s a noble endeavor and I wish you the very best. ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Mrs Honey
    on

I’m still suffering these symptoms, in fact it’s got worse. I think I’m going to have to give up this diet, I won’t know if that’s what’s causing it or something else, unless I do. I didn’t realise this could cause so many side effects.

• posted by Melodeon Millie
    on

Hello Mrs Honey

I’m new to all this, but from all the research I’ve done, this diet should really have most of the minerals you need. I wonder if you might have an underlying condition which has become apparent once you started.

Do you think you might need to seek medical advise? I believe tingling in the hands and feet might be the sign of a liver problem for example. Not trying to worry you, but just to be on the safe side

Don’t give up yet x

Also, you know how we are allowed to have a few nuts? Well I soak peanuts or almonds in warm water for an hour, drain them and then leave them for 24 hours. Absolutely delicious, and because they are getting ready to sprout, full of all sorts of goodness and are easy to digest because of the chemical changes which take place. Don’t leave them for too long or they go bitter

on

Hello Mrs Honey

I’m new to all this, but from all the research I’ve done, this diet should really have most of the minerals you need. I wonder if you might have an underlying condition which has become apparent once you started.

Do you think you might need to seek medical advise? I believe tingling in the hands and feet might be the sign of a liver problem for example. Not trying to worry you, but just to be on the safe side

Don’t give up yet

Also, you know how we are allowed to have a few nuts? Well I soak peanuts or almonds in warm water for an hour, drain them and then leave them for 24 hours. Absolutely delicious, and because they are getting ready to sprout, full of all sorts of goodness and are easy to digest because of the chemical changes which take place. Don’t leave them for too long or they go bitter

on

Whoops, said I was new to all this. Never been in a forum before either. How did I manage to submit my comment more than once?

on

Welcome Melodeon Millie! Always good to see new names!
    Mrs Honey, I’m with Mel Millie — maybe best to get a doctor’s eval because your symptoms are worrying you and haven’t abated.
    I doubt the BSD is causing it but you never know so worth finding out! Mostly this diet gets rid of problems, and is extremely anti-inflammatory which helps with lots of issues, but everyone is different physically.
    In either case I hope it resolves soon and you are feeling much better. Keep us posted so we don’t worry!
    Esnecca, down south in Georgia, lovely place — only been there once but it was so peaceful — one of my plans for post retirement is a big trip through the south (in the spring, before the heat!๐Ÿ˜œ) and it’s good to hear you know Waldorf! So many people haven’t even heard of it but that seems to be changing,

Please log in or register to post a reply.