Low Daily Intake

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by zeus
    on

Hi All

How critical is the 800 calorie daily limit? I’m now into week 4 and coping OK (except for the constipation, despite following the advice on here!). But – I’ve just looked back through my food diary and found that on quite a few occassions my daily intake has been under 630 calories.

So – are there any issues with this (further) reduced intake or should I always look to take in the 800?

Thanks

• posted by Bill1954
    on

Hi zeus
    800 is a scientifically proven figure, similar to that which post weight loss surgery patients have to stick to.
    Going below that figure could possibly put your body in starvation mode and actually slow down weight loss, in fact a doctor would give out dire warnings about it.
    If you can’t eat any more, it’s easy to increase your calories by adding a little olive oil or butter to your daily intake.

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hi zeus
    adding seeds also adds calories quickly and is a great source of fibre too 😀

• posted by zeus
    on

Thanks both – couple of handy tips there.

Bill1954 – a follow up question – does it matter how the calories are split over the day? I tend to take the majority of mine (about 3/4) at my evening meal

• posted by jobeth
    on

Hi Zeus

I tried the 5:2 diet before BSD but had to quit for awhile because of chronic constipation. I tried every remedy everyone suggested, but ultimately the only thing that worked was psyllium. You can either get it at the health food store and mix in water and drink or buy it under the brand name metamucil. I now use metamucil in capsule form daily, which a bit pricey but more convenient (and the texture is way less gross!). I have checked with my doctor and she says it is fine to use daily, it is not a chemical laxative, it just absorbs a lot of water.

• posted by zeus
    on

Thanks jobeth – have now ordered some psyllium – I’m also finding nothing else is working.

Fingers crossed…….

• posted by thepolly
    on

Hope you get to go soon, it’s horrible. I mostly cut coffee out and had a cup yesterday which really helped to get things moving – which was nice!

Good luck

In relation to calories I’m finding that some days contain 3 meals but I’m mostly splitting them into lunch and dinner.

Hope that helps, Polly x

• posted by zeus
    on

Hi Polly

Like you I’m finding most days I’m fine with 2 meals a day (no breakfast). I’m starting to wonder if the constipation is now affecting my appetite. Few days ago I went 24 hours without eating – just because I didnt feel hungry. And then I only ate because I felt I had to get something inside me (from earlier comments in this thread).
    Maybe time for a docs appointment

• posted by Igorasusual
    on

Hi Bill
    I thought that Michael said in the book that the comment about the body ‘going into starvation mode’ if the calorie intake was low was an old wives tale, based on outdated research?

I’m not recommending operating at less than 800 calories per day on a regular basis, but for example today – where I had a good balanced breakfast, and a light lunch, but because i was working in the garden and getting very hot, I drank water rather than eat dinner, thereby achieving calorie count of about 600 odd – is ok from time to time.

I’ve not got too much to lose, and felt that today – with potentially 18 hours fasting now before breakfast tomorrow – might even kick start a bit of weight loss.

Please log in or register to post a reply.