Low Carb Crackers?

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Verano
    on

I would love a tried and tested recipe for low carb crackers if anybody has one. I like my cheese on something crisp and at the moment either use Niarns fine milled oat cakes or seeded Ryvita but I’d really like a lower carb alternative. All suggestions gratefully received.

• posted by bigeater
    on

there is a recipe for almond meal crackers in the recipe section

• posted by Verano
    on

I can’t find that recipe in either book. Have you tried it?

• posted by bigeater
    on

Hi Verano
    The recipe was posted by Sunny B. Despite good intentions, I have yet to make them 🙂 Bigeater

Ingredients
    • 200g almond flour
    • 2 large egg whites
    • 1.5 tbsps. good olive oil
    • Couple of generous twists of salt
    Method
    1 Combine all ingredients to make a dough.
    2 Roll out very thinly between sheets of baking parchment.
    3 Cut into desired shapes and bake for around 7 mins at about 200C. Keep an eye on them, as they can catch quickly and burn.
    4 Allow to cool a little on the tray and then transfer to a cooling rack.

You can add various flavours – nigella seed, other spices, herbs – to ring the changes. These may be added either with the other ingredients so that they are combined in the dough, or sprinkled on and pressed in at the rolling stage. Another way to change the flavour, would be to use an infused olive oil.

Store the crackers in an airtight container.
    Recipe categories: Under 100 • Snacks • Low carb

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks bigeater will try them but maybe add some herbs to make them a bit more savoury.

• posted by Verano
    on

When I checked SunnyB’s recipe out I also found one for chickpea crackers and as I have some besan flour in I will try them first!

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hello Verano,
    I like something crunchy with my cheese and I think I know the chickpea cracker recipe you mention – I’ve tried it out several times. One of my favourite flavour combinations is rosemary & garlic. I mix my spices in with the main dough rather than sprinkling on top.

I’ve used Besan flour but the packet I have in my cupboard is 20% chickpea & 80% yellow split peas and the carb content is still quite high. I found an alternative in Tesco (their “Ingredients” range, Gram Flour) which appears to be 100% chickpea and the carb content is lower. Tastes/looks pretty much the same as the besan.

• posted by Verano
    on

Thanks RosyDozy. Actually I found gram flour in my cupboard not besan, although I know they are the same! The carbs are shockingly high at 60g per 100g of flour but I’m going to make half a recipe today just to try them. I will definitely add the rosemary but not sure about the garlic. I love garlic but hate it if it’s ‘raw’ as in dips. I guess it will be ‘cooked’ in the crackers. Thought I might sprinkle some sea salt on the top too. Will let you know how they turn out!

• posted by annealex
    on

Where can I find the recipe for the crackers?

Please log in or register to post a reply.