losing weight not fat

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Although I am happy I have lost 6lb over the last 8 weeks my fat% has roughly stayed the same, currently 8st.12.6 ..33.1% Fat BMI 22.8.

I average around 700 calories per day with around 20% carb intake. I do light exercise each day (aged 57) step count is always over 12,000 per day.

Anyone else the same? Any advise would be welcome, thanks

• posted by Mariet
    on

Are you taking your fat% from your scales? Because they are notoriously inaccurate. Mine will vary as much as 2%depending on the time of day so if I measure first thing it’s always higher than around lunchtime whereas night time could be anywhere. With a BMI of 22 you are at a normal weight so the fat proportion probably isn’t going to change very quickly. Have you tried building your muscles? Things like squats to build glutes and thigh muscles (largest muscle groups, more bang for buck) or light weights for arms and shoulders might help tip the balance. Good luck.

http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/05/25/darin-steen-demonstrates-the-perfect-squat.aspx

• posted by Jande9
    on

You’ve averaged 700 calories a day for 8 weeks and you only lost 6 pounds?

Is that right?

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi Mariet thanks for your reply

Yes I used to have withings scales which showed my fat roughly about the same as my new Fitbit scales. I never used to worry until after a few articles, which I have recently read, stated that fat% was more important to lose than watching your BMI which totally confused me.

I think you really have confirmed what I deep down know but have always squirmed away from…building muscle. I know that my legs are good because i always make an effort to get my steps 10,000 steps or more in per day( even if it means going up and down the stairs late at night)and am currently averaging 12500 per day. I do squats every now and then but have no routine what so ever and all of a sudden can do nothing for a couple of weeks and to be fair the squats i do currently are pretty feeble. I know my arms are a bit week but Im always aware of aggravating my shoulder muscles, due to having problems with my neck at c5c6c7 (whiplash injury, years ago).

One thing I did do on which may help you with your steps is, walk 500 steps …time it…then on an evening if you think ‘I would love to bump my steps up’ wiz out the house for however long it takes…then keep adding on if you have more time. My husband due to his work is currently averaging 8000 steps but has just started doing this and it creates an extra challenge for yourself (just what we need lol).

i have watched the squat demonstration you sent me and must admit it looks pretty good. I only have 2.5kg hand weights at home but I am definitely going to add these in three times per week and see how i get on, thank you.

Well done on your weight loss so far, and thanks your advise

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi Jande9

Yes, I am only 5ft 2in and my heaviest was 9st 6lb, but because all the excess weight laid around my waist, I knew I had to do something before i hit 60 and find that I had more to lose and was more of a struggle.

Most of life Ive hovered around 8st-8st 6lb. I will be happy when I get to 8st 6 or 7 but because It looks like my internal fat is still high I am concerned and think I need to do something different. I have always eaten around 900 calories per day and am conscious about vitamin/mineral intake. I can see now that I ate way to many carbs in the past. Cutting out sugar so far has gave me other benefits such as clear skin and no longer take any indigestion tablets everyday.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

sorry yes i eat 700 now but around 900 in the past

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Confession….I Have been really stupid and have not been adding my semi-skimmed milk up throughout the day. I have approxiametely 6 x cups (mugs) of black tea per day (don’t drink coffee) and have been kidding myself that I only put a splash of milk in each…

I have just measured how much i have throughout the day… GAG. Semi skimmed at around 5g of carbs per 100ml I have been easily taking in an extra 25g go carbs, not to mention the calories.

I do enjoy green tea with jasmine and other herb teas (drawer full of them) I just think that this is probably one of my addictions I have not addressed.

On top of this I drink tons of water, an old family habit I need to control.

• posted by Mariet
    on

Hi GofouritG1RL, easy mistake to make with the milk! I did the same and was astounded to find the ‘splash’ was nearer 40ml.

I know what you mean about aggravating should/neck pain. I have had two frozen shoulders over the past ten years, 5 years apart and both arms. They took 14 and 10 months respectively to resolve and I live in dread of sparking another episode. The orthopaedic surgeon I saw asked me out of the blue if I’d had recent thyroid problems, which I had- half of it removed due to a cancerous nodule which turned out to be benign after all. He said he had seen a significant number of frozen shoulder pts with similar thyroid histories and suggested I never let my levels drop. I took that on board and am religious about taking the medication but still very wary of damaging my shoulders and sparking another episode. I use 2kg weights and do pretty pathetic arm exercises but hopefully every little bit helps!

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Hi Mariet

Your right about that splash of milk, Ive always been the one when going to a cafe ill grab two or maybe three small pods of milk to put in my tea. On a positive note at least I know where my weakness is now, and will work on reducing it.

You sound very similar to me with your shoulder situation in the way that it is constantly on your mind, not to ‘rock the boat’ to make matters worse. Ive had several cortisone injections in my shoulder/neck muscles but my muscles fight back and go straight back into spasm, and stay there.
    Living with the pain from 2 frozen shoulders must have been so depressing for you. Well Done you for fighting your way through it and realising what you have to do to try and prevent another episode.

How awful having half your thyroid removed only to find out out it was benign, however I bet that was also great news for you at the time. My mum has thyroid problems and is constantly cold and struggles with her weight. The docs told her that this is to do with her thyroid levels and she has to have her levels checked constantly(when I can get her to go).

I definitely can feel the benefits of the diet in more ways than one, therefore I will work out any challenge in my way (milk at the moment) and eventually get there. You’ve done great so far …don’t give in 🙂

• posted by Mariet
    on

Regarding your mum,one thing I found was that just doing TBH wasn’t enough for me. They needed to do both T4 and T3 (not usual in Aus) because though my TSH was normal my body wasn’t converting T4 to T3 on the dose I was on. So thought my remaining half was apparently working I actually needed a higher dose of thyroxine to get up to a proper level. Once that was sorted I had no further thyroid symptoms and all was well.

• posted by GofouritG1RL
    on

Thanks Mariet I fully intend on going with my Mum on her next GP visit. I’m happy your all sorted in that department.

Please log in or register to post a reply.