Looking for people to journey with in 2017

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Rambling Rose
    on

I have been on an 8 weeks to Xmas forum but the other participants seem to have dropped off line since the 8 weeks were up so looking for some new folk to journey with. I have lost 10kg (Yay!) and am delighted with the simplicity and sustainability of this way of eating. I have not been strict about calories as find the counting and measuring drives me nuts and i always give up, but have found the basic principles of the diet do the work for me. With high protein foods, I feel full and don’t crave snacks. My portion sizes are way down and, most miraculously, I have lost my sweet tooth. For the first time in my life i can have one piece of chocolate occasionally if someone offers one, be slightly overwhelmed by its sweetness, but still rather enjoy it and not want another. I have always been a slave to the siren call of the rest of the bar or box of chocs. Now all my sugar comes from fruit which i am probably overdoing at the moment since we are in the stone and berry fruit season (southern hemisphere) but still find i am gradually losing weight, so happy to keep going as i am. I can walk past the cafe cake and biscuit display and have no interest in spending money on them. My nemesis is still salty snacks like crisps and roasted nuts, but even they have become occasional treats and I don’t have the cravings or the will to eat large quantities. So far so good, aiming to lose another 15kg over 2017 and anticipate that the loss will get harder over time so will be glad to read all your good ideas for keeping on track

• posted by Mixnmatch
    on

I’ll keep you company over here, I am still counting but nowhere near the 800 calories mark as I am basically now trying to either maintain or lose weight very slowly as I am so close to my target. I am still trying to keep the carbs pretty low, but will occasionally have a slice of toast or piece of chocolate and like you seem to no longer suffer from the cravings imperative to finish a box / have another slice. In kilos I have only about another two to lose (or did before this weekend but that’s another story and I expect since my calories haven’t been high enough even with the higher carbs that the extra weight of the last couple of days is mostly water and will go again as soon as I get back to normal.) I am going to throw in a fast day tomorrow just to help it along, so a 6:1 week for me.

• posted by RozyDozy
    on

Hi Rambling Rose,
    Very well done on your 10kg loss – excellent progress! I started the BSD about a year ago (check out my profile for my progress) – like you, I didn’t get hung up about counting calories/measuring everything. Unfortunately, I still have the capability to down a bar of chocolate so I just have to tell myself not to waste the money on it in the first place! Like you, I do occasionally crave a bag of crisps, I like the zinginess of salt & vinegar.
    You mention that you expect your weight loss to get harder over time – you are probably correct. I know my weight loss stalled towards the end of last year (probably boredom setting in, my clothes were fitting better so why continue, etc) and then I fell victim to Xmas temptation. So I’m trying to get things back under control again and finally reach my original target. Being in cold & chilly UK I’m finding it difficult not to graze at the moment – it’s anything to keep warm – and things have been a bit up & down re the weight loss (or lack of it). But at least it was a nice sunny day today and I managed a Sunday morning walk which I haven’t done for several weeks.
    I’m not sure I have any special ideas for keeping on track – I know that variety is key to maintaining interest in what I eat. I know that it’s easier to stick to things when you plan your meals & shop accordingly. I also know there is little point in stressing & agonising over things if you do fall off the wagon occasionally – much better to put it behind you and start afresh the next day. Simply following the principles of the diet (as you have been) is probably the best approach.
    Anyway, good luck with your efforts – hope you make your target!
    Rose

• posted by Doodledootoo
    on

Hi
    I’ve been doing the med style way of eating since end of November and following all the highs and lows in the various threads. First time posting but felt we are approaching this very similarly, not weighing and counting so much but applying the principles. I’m in the chilly West of Ireland enjoying how I feel with this way of eating. Trying to increase my levels of exercise which tends to be my downfall. The aim is to get to 10000 steps each day and go from there. I’ve found that I’m not hungry much but today just felt like eating….mainly nuts then snacking on roast chicken! Need the routine of work again tomorrow. Good luck on your journey and look forward to hearing more from you in 2017!

• posted by Rambling Rose
    on

Thanks for the offer of company/support. I have had a couple of higher calorie and carb days recently and am dismayed by how quickly the scales swing. I suspect the rapid gain over 2 days may be something to do with the fluid retention that goes with carbs. Anyway, enough to jolt me back into lower cals, lower carbs today. I do find the ritual of daily weighing helpful. I was in a weight loss support group for a while the year before last and was initially very resistant to the idea of weighing. I believed that ” scales are for fish not for people”, but the discipline of daily weighing has become a habit unless i am away from home and doesn’t allow me to kid myself that the party foods and binge days don’t do any harm. Weighing gives me feedback and focus and I feel more in control of weight than I used to-….one day at a time. I am starting to get a lot of positive feedback from friends, family and work colleagues about weight loss and how good i am looking. This wasn’t my motivation to lose weight and I have found that sort of attention a bit off putting in the past- like a judgement, but this time I am experiencing it as affirming and an encouragement to keep going.

Please log in or register to post a reply.