Lipase Reading

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by Swamp Kevin
    on

At the end of the diet and after the loss of the 10kgs in weight, I undertook blood tests on pancreas and the lipase reading was 840 and top of range is 80. Had a CT scan done of pancreas and it was declared – looking healthy.

Any similar stories and is there a medical explanation?

Thanks

• posted by Chongololo
    on

Hi,

so your lipase was 10 times higher than normal? O.O. Gosh. Now, lipase is an enzyme secreted to help you metabolise fat – Bile from your liver helps to emulsify it (make it into small droplets, so more surface area) and I believe lipase helps to shear it all up into smaller chemical components. (those fatty acids!).

I have never heard of this, and really wish your docs had speculated for you – but its great that the CT scan showed a healthy organ. Have you been eating a lot of fat? so maybe your body is in the habit of expecting a lot of good fats to digest?

maybe when we lose so much stored fat quickly our lipase goes up? BUT you would think it had already been cut up into the little bits before being added to a fat storage cell?

Sorry all I have done is speculate at you, but this is very interesting!

• posted by Swamp Kevin
    on

Thanks

There is going to retest lipase 20 May but hoped to find if others had similar experience as not a fan of worrying about pancreatic cancer.

• posted by Swamp Kevin
    on

Best of luck to everyone. I have had my lipase retest done as well as amylase tested. The news is all great with lipase now down to 84 so still outside range but acceptable but amylase was good and liver function test had every test in the black with sugar of 5.7.

I am a success from this diet and feel proud and happy so hope others gets to achieve the same smiles.

Please log in or register to post a reply.