Let's keep going in 2021 ! One week at a time beginning February 9th 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by wendleg
    on

…and on we go !
    We are a friendly, supportive community offering advice if needed and constant encouragement ! We have had a mixture of new contributors, regulars and old timers this week and it’s a very safe place to share . You are very welcome to come and join us !

Don’t worry if you have drifted off plan, had a tough week, stressful weekend, been struggling with pain or just feeling a bit lost …

We will do our best to pick you up and get you back on track to good health and positivity !

wendleg, SunnyB and sunshine girl xxx

• posted by wendleg
    on

Here is our updated list

wendleg, Sunny B, sunshine girl
    JGwen
    sixturkeys
    Starina
    Verano
    ADD6605 ( Dawn)
    Riccoh
    Russianroulade
    Tulip1 ( Clare)
    Mifoz
    MerryMelba
    Maryanne Carlos-Mascarenhas
    WindyJulz
    articfox
    Olive1
    lauraknits
    Marsie (Marilyn)
    EllieAllegra
    EC:Erin
    Hello66
    Jordana
    Alipetunia/Alison
    RubyG and hubby
    Ditchedthemet
    Dizzychicken
    SlinkyTinks
    LonelyAdipose
    Emzijw
    Barefoot girl
    Life Diet
    allicat1A ( Allie, formerly alliecat !)
    RedRooster
    nhatha3432
    sprox
    skittle
    Daisybean
    workingfromthe fridge
    Bombalone
    PSL68
    ScottM
    florobo85/Lauren
    Tamara1
    MillieMoo/Claire
    SummerTwinkles/ Summer

• posted by wendleg
    on

I feel really sad . Just read clarinetcathy’s post on the Easter bus thread that her friend’s daughter ( just 33) is not responding to treatment for covid and it is being withdrawn .

Just sending lots of love to everyone, whether you contribute to this weekly thread or the Easter Bus one. We are one tight community .

We all need each other right now . If you have been away for a while, please come back x

• posted by Russianroulade
    on

Oh gosh Wendy, I have just read your post. I have tried to type a response, but there aren’t really any words that would do the situation justice. I echo your sentiment Wendy that we must look after each other and be kind to each other ❤️❤️
    I am here for another week. I struggled last week, (week 5) as I started my fertility treatment. It has been a week of taking drugs and injecting myself. It was quite hard, so I fell off the wagon and indulged in crisps, cheese chocolates. The result being three pounds back on.
    So this week I am back on it. Not beating myself up, but just back on plan.
    Good luck everyone this week xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Oh Wendy that is so sad! So important in these times I think to be kind to everyone, including ourselves!

I’ve just had a long hot shower, I’ve been so cold all day and just feel out of sorts, have come to bed now to try and stave off the massive cravings!

Have a good week all

L x

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oh Russianroulade you had a hell of a week too . Sending much love and all my very best wishes . Stay positive throughout your treatment and crikey don’t dwell on those three Cs . Come and talk to us when it gets tough. xx

Florob85/ Lauren . Sounds like you need a good night’s sleep . I’d be wearing bed socks and snuggling up with a good book . I hope you feel better tomorrow. Stay strong xx

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Thanks for kicking of a new week for us, Wendy. Such deeply sad news from clarinetcathy … really, there aren’t words are there. We need to look out for each other and ourselves, with kindness, consideration and compassion.
    Russianroulada, don’t worry about last week, we’re all human and I imagine your stress levels are quite high right now. Chalk it up to experience and move on. Sounds like you’re in the right headspace to make this week count, so best of luck.
    Florob, hope you feel better tomorrow … take care, sleep well.

Glad to say that despite a day off plan for Friday date night, last week went pretty well for me. I now understand why before getting back to basics, the pounds were refusing to budge. Going to stick with the 800/20 for another couple of weeks at least, which should hopefully see me back at target.

Wishing everyone a successful week, whether that is pounds, inches, better BG, sleeping better, less breathless or any other little miracle this way of eating might deliver.

• posted by Sheila Canning
    on

Sending all good wishes to everyone.

Hope it’s cool for me to join? I’m on day 2 of my first attempt at BSD 800 for 8 weeks. My husband is the cook in our house and despite me planning out what I was eating he added green beans in butter and chilli to our chicken breast and roast veg dinner and I did not resist & went over by a bit.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Of course you can join , Sheila ! Welcome ! I know sunshine girl and Jennie have already given you some good advice and you are in the right place here for ongoing support . Just ask if you have any more questions or need any guidance as you start out .

• posted by JustKeepFasting
    on

Hi everyone, I hope it’s ok for me to join. I have been lurking for a little while and have found all the information provided by you knowledgeable people so, so helpful. I’ve just completed my first week. I have around 4 stone to lose in total. I’m not prediabetic but I have an underactive thyroid and often feel exhausted. I have so much energy already just being a week in and am enjoying things so far.
    01/02: 14st 9.4
    08/02: 13st 12.8
    Obviously I’m thrilled with this week 1 loss although I’m prepared for a much slower loss going forwards, I’m determined to stay motivated this time and thought if I got involved with posting, it will make me more accountable.

I’ve tried a couple of times in the past losing around 10lbs in 2 weeks each time, but then I’ve given up. I think the trouble was that although I stuck to 800cals I was having far too many carbs and staying hungry so gave up after the 2 weeks.

I’m a little concerned about how things will go going forward as I’ve been doing OMAD up to this point. I find it easier to only have to think about cooking once and I wanted to have a lengthy fasting window. However, I’ve just got the new recipe book and read they don’t recommend reducing to just one meal.

Just wondering if anyone else had success on OMAD for the 12 weeks?

Thank you for reading 🙂

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Justkeepfasting

I do a 16:8 fasting programme where I only have two meals a day, a lot of us do – I’ve had plenty of food today and don’t feel hungry and I’m six weeks in and have used this approach since day 1, lost 21lb so far

Today I’ve eaten:

Breakfast – black coffee and a litre of water before lunch

Lunch – chia seed pudding made with 25g chia seeds and 85ml almond milk, topped with 2 prunes and a portion of nutty granola (see my recipe on this website – adapted clever guts granola). I also had a mini babybel and 5 roasted almonds. Total for lunch 424 cal and 21g carbs – it would have been a lot less without the prunes but I’ve been a bit bunged up!

Dinner – pizza chicken – this is a chicken breast butterflied and topped with a tbspn tomato purée, 3g pesto, 2.5 slices pizza pepperoni and 20g mozzarella. I had a big salad with it with iceberg lettuce, half a tomato, cucumber and an apple cider vinegar and lemon juice dressing – total for dinner 350 cal with 4g carbs – I actually didn’t eat all my dinner as I was stuffed, so it’s totally doable to be full on about 400 cal and have two meals a day 🙂

Lauren

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Like you Lauren, I find two meals a day is great and easier for recipes. Had a delicious lentil, carrot and orange soup at lunch (300 cals) then roast chicken with lots of veg for dinner. Onwards and upwards (or downwards on scales hopefully). Hoping to crack the 80kg barrier this week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Thank you for the new weekly thread, and so sorry to hear clarinetcathy’s sad news. More and more people I know are being touched personally by COVID now, and I fear none of us will emerge completely unscathed. Look after yourselves and your loved ones!

Today was weigh-in for hubby and I, as we loosen the grip on the strict 800cals 7 days a week and try to aim for more of a maintenance mode. We both still have more weight to lose, but know we can’t do 800cals for ever. He showed a small loss from Friday, even with a beer for the rugby on Saturday, and I have a 0.2lb gain, which is not really significant. I have considered only weighing once a week, on a Friday, so any creep over the weekend is shed again during the week, and as long as we still show a consistent loss week-on-week we’ll be satisfied.
    I also haven’t tried on any smaller clothes in a while, so I may play dress-up later to see how I’m getting on.
    ODAAT!

• posted by RedRooster
    on

So sad to see people’s bad news, hope everyone is ok

Sheila and Just keep fasting welcome to the thread, the first couple of weeks are the hardest (for me anyway) but once you break through that it gets easier. Sheila, was watching a video by Micheal Mosley and he was saying a key reason many people fail is sabotage by the partner (often well meant, sometimes ignorance as to how many cals are in a scoop of butter, and sadly some not wanting their partner to succeed). I only eat things I’ve weighed and cooked myself when on the diet, might be worth taking control of tour own meals.

I had a good week, 2.2kg off, taking the total to 13.4kg in 5 weeks. I set myself a target of 16kg which I feel like I will break. Three weeks to go for me until I more to a low carb 5:2. I’m now 11 pounds off a healthy BMI which I suppose is the new target

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Good to see established travellers as well as some newcomers joining us for this week. Welcome Sheila and Justfasting, we’ll look forward to sharing your progress.
    Ruby, that small gain is nothing and will disappear very quickly. Enjoy playing dress up, hopefully you’ll find some ‘new’ clothes to wear.
    RedRooster, those are great results. Getting into the healthy BMI is a good target to have and it doesn’t sound like you will have any trouble achieving it.

I had a good day yesterday and as date night is being postponed from Friday to Sunday this week, I have a nice long run of sticking to 800/20 ahead of me. Wishing you all a safe, successful week and hope to see lots of positive results posted next week.

• posted by RubyG
    on

Just took a break for lunch, Asian-style chicken broth for lunch, followed by a dressing-up session in the spare-room 🙂
    A few of my summer tops are maybe half a stone away from fitting well, along with a couple that are a good stone away still, but these are clothes kept for sentimental reasons and not worn in more than 5 years. Others now fit properly instead of feeling a bit strained.
    Winter-weight jeans and cordurouys mostly fit well, with one pair still a bit snug. I could get away with wearing them with something more baggy on top and they do not result in a hernia when sitting down, so I have left them on the spare bed as my next inspirational pair to keep me motivated.
    I have noticed that my body shape has changed since I last lost a lot of weight 10 years ago. I am still a pear, but now a slightly softer and more middle-aged pear. I am working on some strength exercises (kettlebell and yoga when I make the time) so hopefully with the fat loss will come some muscle tone too at some point.
    Anyway, feeling motivated today, ODAAT!

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone and welcome to Sheila and Justkeepfasting. We are a very supportive group with no judgement here. Looking forward to following your progress Sheila.

Had a small gain of around 3/4 lb due to birthday celebrations but know that will be gone by the end of this week and then I continue in earnest (whoever he is 🙂 ) to get to the next kilo. 5 weeks to my next medical check up and that always spurs me on also, no more celebrations until the end of March.

Very sad news for Cathy. We thought we were lucky not to know anyone with this terrible illness until yesterday when my bestie in England told me she has been hospitalised. She has had covid for about a week but her oxygen levels dropped and she had to have it given. She says she is feeling better today so …. Still worried.

Dont know if it is good news or not but the jeans I bought a couple of weeks ago dont fit me anymore. They are too big. They are quite stretchy so I have put it down to me trying and buying in the afternoon when I was probably a bit heavier. Good news is I am a dab hand with a needle, although I hate sewing, and will put a couple of darts in at the waist. The legs need taking up about 6 inches too.

Enjoy the rest of the week – lots of rain here but flooding has receded.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Some impressive results being posted ! Well done folks .

Welcome JustKeep Fasting . I wanted to reply to your query about OMAD . When I was working that became my routine for 4 days out of every week . I couldn’ t face breakfast at the ungodly hour when I was leaving the house in the morning, and have never gone back to eating that meal even now I am retired . I used to take a few almonds into school for lunchtime but as time went on I didn’t even feel that hungry then . I was always busy working through the long lunch break too ! Bear in mind I was drinking a big flask full of green tea and had a Nespresso machine lurking in my cupboard . So OMAD became the norm On my school days and yes it did work for me . If I remember rightly after the initial 8 weeks I had lost 9 kilos ( I started at over 100kg) Schools are closed in France on Wednesday afternoon so I ate lunch that day and also at the weekend . So it was mixed up a bit . I think the recommendation ( Jason Fung) is not to do OMAD all the time as the body adjusts to that régime and weight loss stalls very quickly . I went on to discard 30 kg but with a mixture of one meal or two meals a day and some fasting in there too . I am a bit anti sugar and have never gone down the just let me have a few carbs route 😉 I have other excessive behaviours though. I am not perfect !

I think the advic eis to see what suits you, what feels good . I definitely found that as I continued I felt less hungry . It became very manageable but you have to give it a bit of time . Good luck, all the very best to you !

• posted by JustKeepFasting
    on

Thank you so much everyone, especially wendleg for your detailed reply and advice. I will try to mix things up a bit to keep my body guessing so it doesn’t get too used to OMAD. I think once I’ve discarded the weight I could definitely fall into the trap of “just a few carbs here and there won’t hurt” as my favourite foods are cake and pizza!

I’m hoping the changes I’ll continue to see and the way my body responds to the low carb way of eating will keep me motivated though and hopefully one day I won’t look twice at cake and pizza.

It’s great to read all about the improvements to people’s health and all the weight that’s been discarded by forum members.

Echoing everyone’s sentiments about the utter devastation covid has impacted on so many people’s lives. Sending kind wishes to you all. X

• posted by SunnyB
    on

Sheila…. might I ask if you’re a Neighbours fan?

Wendy thank you for the timely reminder, that it pays to shake up the eating pattern. Have to admit, I tend to stick quite close to the same daily pattern …. breaking fast around 14.30 with a little yogurt and toppings and main meal around 18.00>19.00. Weekends are occasionally different and date night is always different of course, but might try playing around with timing a little more.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi All,
    Well, it’s been a week for weighing things and realising I have been over estimating somewhat!! I realised what I have been saying is a tbsp or maybe one and a half at most of nutella with my raspberries on Saturday mornings by weight is actually 4 tbsps!!! What I thought was 50ml of milk in my coffee has crept up to 80ml and the tbsp of mayonnaise I occasionally have with chicken and veg is actually 3 tbsps! Oh, and cranberry sauce with my roast dinner- 45g not 15g!!! Blimey….so it’s been a week if getting used to smaller portions lol, re-starting some proper low cal days altho still a bit over 800 so working on that, and reading about TRE is interesting- pretty much I always do at least 12:12 as I like an early dinner but no way I am giving up brekkie! So quite nice to see I have been doing something right pre- this WOE so mostly just feeling positive about that.

Very, very sorry to hear ClarinetCathy’s news altho I came off the Easter bus as I prefer this weekly thread. I lost a Great Uncle to covid a couple of weeks ago and my own experience of having it was awful last March, thank God I have come out mostly unscathed but my 15 y o daughter has significant and debilitating long covid 10 months on.

Love to all xxx

• posted by skittle
    on

Sending big love and good wishes to everyone as we navigate these scary times.
    I love reading everyone’s stories, it’s inspiring.
    Discard progress so far:
    Week 1: 3.3kg
    Week 2: 0.7kg
    Week 3: 2kg
    Week 4: 1kg
    Week 5: 1kg

So, 8kg off. Was really hoping for more than 1kg a week, which was my old discard rate while still having a few treats -now it seems to be my rate on the strictest plan! Maybe my metabolism is getting old – eek! Want to knock off 15kg in total, but aiming for another 3kg in next 3 weeks as the first target. Should be doable at current rate. But have hit a bit of a wall. The willpower – which was pretty iron-clad – has gone a bit wobbly. It’s mostly boredom I think. Very bored of weekends being the same as the weeks, nothing to distinguish them as a rest or special, no date night dinner, just same old minimal eating. Not helped by working a lot at weekends too. Hey ho. I have to keep going – a good motivation is that I am being filmed for something for work in March and really want to look good for it. Not able to get comfortably back into old jeans yet. Know I need to push through this bit… but spirit is flagging. Will keep reading what everyone is up to as inspiration.
    Also a big round of applause for RussianRoulade – I’ve been round the IVF block several times and to do this WOE with all the discipline and focus required while also doing the injections and everything else is amazing – I salute you! And good luck!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Oh, and Wendleg, thank you for the physio shout out- I had been following the hip and shoulder conversations but noted all the good advice between other members and it’s quite difficult for me to give general advice without wanting to fully assess whoever it is has the problem!! Pretty difficult via text 🙄🙄😂….anyhow, yes injections- the trust I work for are doing them but less than before due to the covid risk- as a rule a thorough discussion needs to be had between patient and clinician weighing up pain levels versus risk….I know frozen shoulder can be AGONY….the only good thing to say is that it is a process that eventually gets better- with appropriate exercises and pain relief (that may include steroid injection) to help along the way- as a rule the first stage is the most painful where gentle exs like the pendulum (and sometimes injection) are helpful, and later when it is mostly just very stiff rather than painful then you can push more with stretches to gradually regain movement.
    There are also other shoulder issues e.g. bursitis, that can mimic the early stages of frozen shoulder, so of course seeing a health professional always adviseable to get tailored advice. I’m happy to answer physio questions but will tell you if I can’t really help via text.
    xxx Tulip1.

• posted by Mifoz
    on

Hi all, I’m still here, still going, just having a hectic life at the moment.

Sad to hear how people are struggling with COVID still in the UK. I hope the vaccine rollout is going to make a big difference in the spread. Once again I realise how lucky we have been in Australia. Sending my good thoughts to you all.

I’ve had a few ups and downs this past month with this WoE, having relaxed somewhat during the summer. But I’m pleased that while things have slowed down weight loss wise, they also haven’t gone up. I think by paying more attention to portions (Tulip, I hear you on the measuring slips! ) and not letting the carbs creep in I should be able to sort it out. I did dip under 90kg for the first time last week, which was very exciting, but alas short lived, as I’ve hovered around 90.5kg since.

A funny – I ordered my groceries online as usual last week, but accidentally ordered 5kg of carrots instead of 1. They were discounted because they were odd shapes and not the freshest, so I didn’t notice the price difference. So I’ve been baking carrot cakes for all and sundry before they go off, and we’ve had roast carrots with every meal. Not the lowest in carbs I’m afraid, but at least I’m giving the cakes away 😂

on

Hi everyone, got some sunshine today after weeks of rain, but it is not set to last. Tulip, sorry to rain on your parade so to speak, but do you know that Nutella is around 58% sugar then around 30% palm oil (one of the worst oils for health). 2 tablespoons contain 200 cals and 23 grams of carbs plus 21 grams of sugar. I know this because my daughter works for the company that makes it. It has about 12% nuts. I know they make it sound like a healthy choice but it is anything but. Strawberry jam has less sugar and carbs. Sorry. If it is your only treat just now and then (once a week) then okay but as I diabetic I would not got anywhere near it. And the French give it to their children for breakfast!!!!

My friend is off oxygen but on high dose of steroids. Waiting to hear from her today but nothing yet. (Edit, she is back on oxygen plus steroids and they are giving her an antibody infusion later today. She is not sleeping because the oxygen mask is so uncomfortable and noisy. )

Oh wow, back down to my pre-birthday weight and it is only Wednesday. Really motivated to get past the next kilo now. Continue to have a good week everyone.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Hi SG- yes, thank you, very well aware of the ingredients in nutella- I have it once a week with rasperries AND a pain au chocolat for Saturday breakfast with coffee and it’s my one off-plan (but planned) treat each week, so I am happy with it ☺….I know it isn’t for everyone but it works for me- my most recent Hba1c in December well into normal at 34 (down from 42 just prediabetic in July)- with this weekly treat included- so I’m ok with that.

Also, news! Today I reached my goal-goal of top of normal BMI so well happy with that 😁….will be making some new ones but a massive achievement of 3 stone 3 lbs off (I’m only short at 5 ft 0 so that was a lot extra for my little frame!).

SG- also crossing fingers and toes that your friend continues to improve xx

on

Thats great Tulip, we all deserve a little treat now and then. And you are doing so well. It is important not to make this any harder than it should be or it would be so easy to give up or have that treat and think you have blown it. Planned is best. Just that a lot of people think because it is nuts it is super healthy.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

aww thank you- yes, agreed, far more than nuts in nutella 🤣….
    Don’t know why I said July tho- it was May when I had the prediabetes diagnosis and started the BSD in June (I didn’t have my special Sat breakfast for the 1st 12 weeks on the 800 cal per day bit of the diet tho).

xx

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thanks Mifoz- I find it good to check measuring portions periodically 🤣

Also….carrot and coriander soup? Mmmm

• posted by florob85
    on

Mifoz you can make carrot “hummus” by blending cooked carrots with some tahini and cumin or carroway or chilli or coriander (or whatever spice you fancy – I wouldn’t use coriander because it’s the devils food, nasty stuff) – no need to add chickpeas, it’s quite thick as it is. Not low carb particularly as you say, but certainly lower than regular hummus and you can then dip veggies in it – I wouldn’t recommend dipping carrots in it though! Freezes well too!

• posted by Bryla
    on

Hello everyone. A few people might remember me from 2020 when I discarded 2.5 stone with this way of eating and definitely changed my health for the better. I drifted away from the forum around September time when I suddenly had an influx of work (after 6 months of nothing). However, I’m happy to report that I haven’t slipped back into my old ways, though I am noticing that I am really fighting emotional eating at the moment while very low in mood.

I know it will help me to reconnect here (if that’s okay with everyone) and perhaps if I can offer a bit of support to others it will both give me a bit of a lift and repay some of the wonderful support that I benefitted from.

I remember watching a video that I think was recommended on the forum. It was a Dr (I can picture him in scrubs on the video) talkng about thinking of food/eating as an addiction and talking about us meeting our emotional needs in this way. I know there will be a few like that, but this one was particularly powerful for me. I can’t find it when I search the forums. Does anyone have any ideas who I am thinking of?

Sending very best wishes to everyone.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Oooh great to see you back Bryla ! I remember you were worried about work, so it’s great that it has picked up for you and yes, I do remember your success with this way of eating .

For sure, emotional eating is one of the biggest hurdles for many of us . I am not sure which video you are referring to but someone will surely remember , JGwen ???

I am sure your mention of emotional eating and low mood will resonate with many . Such tough times .

Looking forward to reading more of your posts, Bryla ! xx

• posted by florob85
    on

Hi Bryla, I definitely relate with the emotional eating. I’m currently on week 7, although this is not my first rodeo – I lost over 2st in 2019 but have put it all back on, 22lb down this time which is slower than I’d like when I am being very strict but hey ho. I’ve had a wobbly week, burst into tears on camera while teaching my students last week and it’s not really picked up! I’ve been fighting a cold the last few days and today feel distinctly unwell, but I popped to Marks and Spencer’s to buy my partner and I the £20 meal deal for valentines (I’m having a day off on Sunday, it’s needed) and I resisted the glorious pastries that were staring at me so I’m counting that as a win.

Teaching again tomorrow, fingers crossed everyone I don’t dissolve again! Pharmacology tomorrow so I’m a bit safer I think, last week was surgery so a bit more emotionally charged!!

Lauren x

• posted by JGwen
    on

Hi Bryla, I think I know who you mean with regard to the video, hes a big chap. Its not Dr Fung or Dr Bikman, I can picture him in my minds eye, has a strong accent.

The place that the link was likely to have been put would be on the Take a Look at this thread. – If you have an idea when it was posted it may be worth going through the thread.

• posted by Bryla
    on

Thanks, Wendy! Work slowed to a trickle again with lockdown 3, so that has a lot to do with my emotional state – especially since that provided some contact with other human beings, as well as income. Though I am grateful that I had a few better months, of course.

Hi Lauren. Well done resisting the pastries. Sounds like you’re definitely have a tough time. Really hope teaching tomorrow goes well for you. I always feel overwhelmed when I have a cold and that’s quite without any of the extras that we are all contending with at the moment. I guess that even if you feel that things are going a little slower and steadier than you would like you have the experience that tells you it’s worth the slog.

Thanks so much for the suggestion, JGwen. I really don’t have a clue when it was, but I’ll have a thorough look. I recall that a few others found it really helpful at the time I did, so will link here if I track it down. You are right about the accent! I have a feeling he was South African.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

I accidentally hit the unsubscribe link instead of the link for the thread, doh! So I don’t have anything to say, just ticking the box that I want emails when there’s a comment on the thread again 😂🤣

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Hi Everyone. I don’t think we can comprehend here in Australia what a devastating effect Covid is having. I have been feeling anxious so I really do sympathise with you all. But of course you can’t turn off anxiety by trying to reason it away. Being anxious and being an emotional eater hasn’t helped. Now we are practically Covid free I feel much better but my son lost his job last Easter due to the Covid downturn and I am still fearful of catching the virus.
    One thing we did recently was buy a new bed. Top of the line. My husband didn’t think there was anything wrong with the old one, though. I have started sleeping through the night so I wake up refreshed and I don’t wake up with an aching back. I have a habit of getting up in the small hours, not being able to sleep, and snacking on whatever I can find. Cheese or peanut butter are favourites.
    I feel very guilty. Not every night of course. Perhaps now admitting it I can now deal with it.
    I still count calories during the day and only eat between 11am and 7pm. And I am still losing weight slowly.
    Its not hunger. I can deal with that.
    Does anyone else do this?

• posted by wendleg
    on

Bryla, JGwen. It sounds like you are describing Dr Robert Cywes ? He`s big on keto and carnivore….?

• posted by arcticfox
    on

Hi everyone,
    I was just checking in and was going to say that I think Bryla is talking about Dr. Cywes, but see Wendy has beaten me to it!
    I had quite a good week last week. I started riding my horse again. Just at walk and only for a few minutes at a time, but it was going quite well. I can just barely squeeze into my safety vest. Would be nice if it would be a bit less snug, for sure.
    I did an almost 24 hour fast on Sunday. Not really intentional, but managed it all the same. We suddenly had an extreme cold weather warning and I scrambled to buy in some straw and got it laid out over my polytunnel to try to protect my veggies, so I missed lunch. I normally miss breakfast on the weekends when I go to muck out my horse and come back to a late lunch, but this time didn’t eat until 5pm, so just made it a larger dinner.
    I haven’t done much fasting since. It is just so cold and I find it difficult to fast in the cold weather. It’s been down as low as -21 C and the forecast is saying it will get down to -26 C later this week before it warms up again on Saturday.
    In other news, I appear to have missed my totm, which has never happened before. Could this be the beginning of menopause? If so, after 32 years of horrendous cramps and interruption of my life every month, I am absolutely thrilled! Here’s hoping that I might now have a chance at improving and maintaining a decent iron status. I’m already appreciating the fact that I didn’t put on 10lbs of water weight this month either. I feel like this might be just what I need to get fully on track again as I truly believe that the hormonal fluctuations and poor iron status have really contributed to my weight gain over the past few years.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Arcticfox- where do you live? It sounds very, very cold!!!

• posted by CharlieTHH
    on

Hey everyone. I only started 1st of february, so only on day 11 now. Ive lost 4.8 kilo so far 🙂

• posted by JGwen
    on

Yes Wendleg, thats the guy.

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Well done Tulip – that is amazing getting to normal bmi – especially at your height. Funnily enough I was looking at bmi the other day. Think for my height (5ft 5) the top end of normal is 68. That seems unfeasibly low to me! Last time I weighed 70 was years ago (when I was being bitten alive by bed bugs) and since 28 I have mostly been 73-78. How do you work out what is the right weight for you? Or am I just making ‘heavy bones’ excuses?
    On another note, so sorry to hear about covid cases. I think there can be very few people who have not been personally affected. Love to everyone going through hard times and stay well everybody x

• posted by Bryla
    on

Thank you everyone! Yes it was Dr Cywes. I woke up at 3am this morning and the actor Cary Elwes popped into my head – I was thinking it was something like that but couldn’t capture Cywes from the edge of my consciousness! JGwen posted about some of his videos on Take a Look at This back in Feb 2020. Can’t believe it was a year ago. There are lots of videos of his and I haven’t found the one I had in mind yet, but will persevere. I have a friend who is really down about her weight (not interested in BSD but going to see a nutritionist soon) and when she messaged me yesterday to say she couldn’t stop thinking about eating constantly the memory of something I found so helpful popped up.

Great going, Charlie THH! That’s a superb discard to get you well on your way.

Hi Riccoh. For the best part of 20 years I would eat more nights than not, though definitely went through better and worse phases. Slightly different to your experience in that I never really felt fully awake and would come to (sort of) with a far more intense feeling of hunger (or so I thought) than I ever had during the daytime. I would then eat mainly cereal, or perhaps biscuits or something else carby back in bed (eve with my eyes closed) before going back to sleep. I tried so hard to combat that by putting notes on the bedroom door, kitchen door, fridge saying “DON’T DO IT!” and similar because I knew I would feel ashamed and frustrated in the morning. However, I just couldn’t seem to override the urge. BSD definitely changed that for me over time.I know night snacking is different for you, but hopefully you feel less alone! We have nothing to be ashamed about – we are just learning to find other ways to function that don’t involve turning to food every time. Glad you are enjoying your new bed!

Well done on the nearly 24hrs, articfox! Great that you have been able to start riding your horse again.

• posted by SlinkyTinks
    on

Hello, friends. It’s been a while. I must admit that I completely slipped off the bandwagon last weekend, due to some very extreme personal news destabilising my mind and my diligence. I slipped into a total bender from last Thursday to Sunday — alcohol, packets of crisps, enormous meals. I put everything into MyFitnessPal and averaged thousands of calories a day. All I can say is this: it’s OK. While the first few days this week I felt like total garbage, full of shame and regret — feeling and seeing the effects of my binge on the scales, in the mirror, and in my moods — I persisted from Monday. I eased myself back into the fast, by calories and carbs. I’m back down to the 800 again, and I’ve already noticed the change in every way… I thought it would take weeks, that I’d be taken back to the start. This was just my shame, wanting to give myself an easy out, prove that I wasn’t capable enough. It’s just the negative self speak we all know too well. We can absolutely do this. Slipping up is OK. We can push through, give ourselves permission to accept the bad times, and we can take back control again. It just takes that first step of acceptance and forgiveness. Much love and light to all.

on

Hi all, somehow saved myself from a slip up today. Bought my usual pre-roasted chicken from the supermarket and as it is bought hot I like to put it in the oven for a while just to make sure it isnt at that cooling down stage of bug breeding. Perfect time to chuck in a part baked nutty bread roll which takes 8 minutes. Then I saw the pot of opened yoghurt with the tiny bit that I add some grated garlic, lemon juice and olive oil for a home made salad dressing and just had to have a salad. Temptation avoided and still had a lovely lunch. Now at 76.2 kg and determined to get under 76 by Monday. Hopefully by Tuesday I will be back on track for my 1lb a week goal which slipped slightly for my birthday. I will just keep on keeping on…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Workingfromthefridge (love the name!!) thank you- yes, I know what you mean, and I guess
    that’s why the BMI range is so large, because some people do have a heavier frame- I think my normal BMI range is something really silly (well to me, because I’ve never been a skinny build and that’s not what I’m aiming for!!)- mine starts at 6 st 10 lbs!! Lol, and goes up to 9 st 1, which is what I have just hit 😁….I use the NHS BMI calculator so reckon that is trustworthy. It’s not perfect, but I think it’s a pretty good indicator unless you are a bodybuilder or something where you have a lot of muscle mass which of course weighs heavier.
    Slinkytinks- sorry to hear about your bad news, and really well done on your getting back on track too.
    Love to all and well done to everyone getting results in the right direction xxx.

• posted by Tulip1
    on

Also workingfromthefridge- MM talks about your ‘personal fat threshhold’ in some (or all of?) of his books, so that’s the tipping point where you start to store your extra fat around your organs- different for everyone- I hit normal blood sugars before I reached my weight goal and the last weight that had gone on was that dangerous abdominal fat and it was the first to disappear on this diet thank goodness!
    My next goal is getting my waist measurement to half my height, 30″ in my case, which is another good organ health measurement- I’m only 3″ off now, having already lost 10.5″, but I reckon it’s going to take another half stone or more based on progress so far.

xx

• posted by Riccoh
    on

Thanks for the support Bryla. Another night without snacking.yay. I know it takes a while to change a habit, especially a long held one. I’m just up. 5:40 am here. Having a black coffee, no sugar.
    Feeling more positive today.
    Well done everyone on all your successes, big and small.

• posted by florob85
    on

Evening all, we’ve just had a lovely chicken burger with a slice of cheese, I had lots of green veg with mine and some mushrooms and my partner had a bun and some potato and veg with his, really lovely treat and feels very satisfying. I also chopped some almonds to put in with my broccoli which was tasty too! Feeling on top of things today after a bit of an off day yesterday!

Please log in or register to post a reply.