Let's keep going in 2021! One Week at a time beginning 26th January 2021

We have not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you are have any health related symptoms or concerns, you should contact your doctor who will be able to give you advice specific to your situation.

• posted by caronl
    on

Many congratulations Tulip!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank u ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by Alipetunia
    on

Oh Tulip! Congratulations!! What an incredible achievement! You are an inspiration to us all. I would be so chuffed to have nearly gotten to a normal BMI!

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you- and yes, I am delighted….I had been trying and failing to lose that weight for more than 10 years before finding this (miracle!!) diet xx

• posted by Alipetunia
    on

Russianroulade- Iโ€™m not an expert by any means, but Iโ€™m slowly coming to the realisation that you cannot afford to sweat the scale, as it sends you on a roller coaster of emotional highs and lows. Have faith that this WOE is definitely going to be healthier for you, whether itโ€™s a slow week or a big loss. During plateaus, I force myself to stop weighing, and try to be guided by how my clothes fit, or imagining my cholesterol dropping (whatever works for you).
    It will work, but it wonโ€™t be a straight line down,. Youโ€™ve got this ๐Ÿ™‚

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

I went to a lovely family gathering today in a park, sun was shining, and there was lots of food. I kept away from the wine โœ… but indulged in lots of nibbles. Not going to beat myself up, as getting the family together has been Long awaited and that was the important and enjoyable thing.
    So roll on the new week and Iโ€™ll make it a good one. Koko

• posted by Tulip1
    on

So glad you got to meet your family, Merry! I agree that’s such an important thing- especially at the moment!! xx

• posted by ScottM
    on

Hello all!
    i have now reached the end of the second week of the diet and it has been a tough one! My weight has been fluctuating like crazy and I honestly thought I would end up with no loss at all but having stepped on the sclaes this morning, I’ve lost 3.5lb in total over the week. A lot less than the 7lb in week one but moving in the right direction!
    My blood sugar has been consistently sitting at 5.0 (+/- 0.1) for the whole week – I was roughly 8.0 before starting the diet. I’m T2 diabetic and on 2 metformin a day but I’m hoping I can get my blood sugar lower and get off the metformin at my review in 6 weeks.
    I’ve also lost another half inch off the waist too.

I have to admit, weighing myself every day has caused a lot of stress and I was nearly at the point of quitting on Thursday but I’m glad I didn’t. I’ll reduce to twice weekly weigh in’s fro now on!
    The exercie has also been quite a struggle, I think I’ve been pushing myself too hard. I’ve been following the strength exercising in the BSD book, but I decided to do them 7 days a week instead of 3 and I’ve also been doing daily HIIT on my exercise bike and at leat 30 min walks a day which is up to 5000 steps from the 2500 I was doing before I started the diet.
    My back is killing me and I’ve had sciatica in my left leg for 4 days so I think I will cut back on the exercise and try not to break my feeble body!
    Thanks also to all of you who have been so supportive on this journey so far! I greatly appreciate your kind words of encouragement and you being the crutch I lean on when I’m having bad days! All my best to you all.

• posted by JGwen
    on

Russianroulade and all the other newcomers.

I know that loosing the lbs is what draws many of us to this way of eating, but measuring progress by the scales is not a good idea.

Our body is 60% water. We are encouraged to drink 2 litres of water a day, each litre weighs 1 kg. thats 2.2 lbs. So where you are in your water in / out cycle for the day can make a difference of many pounds. – Professional jockeys use this by sitting in saunas on race day to reduce hydration to drop lbs to hit their weight for a ride.

You weight includes what is in your digestive system, 800 calories of celery weighs more than 800 calories of cheese.

When we eat a high carb diet which raises insulin levels it not only controls our bodies ability to access body fat for fuel, it also blocks the hormone system which controls body repair. – Stronger bones, stronger muscles all weigh more than weak ones. So you will see None Scale Victories such as changes in shape but not necessarily changes in the scale.

Finally, When you eat a high carb diet your body has to store water to process it. When you cut out the carbs your body releases that water. Thats the cause of the rapid weight loss at the start of following this way of eating. – It will not continue.

1 lb of fat = 3500 calories. Dscarding 0.5 to 1lb of fat a week is great progress.

• posted by JGwen
    on

I saw a great quote on the facebook support group for Dr Fung today that I thought I would share.

Here’s a tip from the Master Class with Megan Ramos .
    Megan said your body is like a lazy teenager. It doesn’t want to do the work or expend the energy it takes to switch from burning glucose to burning fat…its lllaaaaazzzyyy….if it can get you to feed it…it won’t have to work. You have body fat stored to live off of so you really aren’t hungry….but your lazy teenager doesn’t want to get up off the couch and do the work it needs to do to burn that body fat…so instead it lounges around whining and sending you all these hunger signals so you will feed it and it doesn’t have to work. But you are the one in control of your body and when your body sends those hunger signal you have to be FIRM and say ” LISTEN UP BODY!! I AM IN CONTROL HERE NOT YOU!!! AND IM NOT GONNA FEED YOU!! YOU’RE GONNA HAVE TO FEED YOURSELF”
    And the more often you are firm and don’t let your body talk you into breaking your fast early. The more efficient your body will become at switching to burning body fat…and your body will be used to it and send you less and less urgent hunger signals.
    Take control of your lazy teenager!

• posted by MerryMelba
    on

Thank you Tulip. And huge congratulations on your 42 for 42! ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ…. You have really worked for your goal, and much relish a great sense of achievement. Keep on going. ๐ŸŒบ

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you Merry ๐Ÿ™‚

Great info, JGwen!!

• posted by Workingfromthefridge
    on

Tulip congratulations! And jgwen thanks for very useful info. Iโ€™m new to this but am I right there is new thread for this week? New week, new month. Had done โ€˜dryโ€™ Jan but continuing at least another four weeks to keep sugar/ alcohol consumption in check. Happy Feb everyone! Now off to zoom yoga…

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thank you ๐Ÿ™‚
    That sounds like a very positive start to the day!
    As is often the case I saw a gain after the weekend (I need to think about this some more), so need to work now to get it down over the week and hopefully even lose a bit overall!
    Love to all xx

• posted by sunshine-girl
    on

Hi everyone, had a pretty crappy weekend dietwise. Not done any real damage but not lost anything when I really could have. All started with that baguette. Just shows how carbs can take a hold of you. I just couldnt stop nibbling and then was feeling pretty down. Husbands vaccine that was scheduled for today has been cancelled and wont be until the end of Feb. We thought we were jogging along nicely, him done and dusted in Feb then hopefully me in March and then a trip to visit our family. Dont know when it will be now. We will just have to keep moving our ferry booking along. Leaving it to 2 weeks before we are due to go and then will move it on depending on the jab situation. I wont stay down for long and have done my aerobics this morning which gets my motivation going. See you on the next week when I hope by tomorrow I will have had a slight loss.

• posted by wendleg
    on

Hi everyone ! Well done Tulip/Clare ! Great results, well deserved as you have been so determined and committed ! Weekends are tough aren’t they , especially when we feel we deserve something ‘nice’ ?

I have had mixed success with my 30 day dairy and nut free reboot . Drop on the scales and very little interest in dairy but oh crikey the urge for almonds, walnuts, hazeluts you name it is still there . So that’s my objective for February , to crack the nut addiction . I do see it as an addiction and also a tendency I have to over eat what I tell myself is ‘healthy ‘ food . I have to stop being an over eater, full stop .

So happy for you getting to see your family Merry ! I haven’t seen my sons for 19 and 13 months now, apart from on video calls . I was last in the Uk at Christmas 2019 . OUr trip to Oz was in February 2018 . We have to hang on in there. The time will come when we will be able to hug our family and friends . In the meantime I am just reassured that everyone is safe and well .

SG/ Denise I fully understand your frustration and it’s totally normally to feel down in the circumstances because your travel plans have had to be rearranged so many times . Stay positive . You’ll get there .

Thanks for sharing your findings JGwen, always useful and fascinating . Listen to what she says about not weighing every day , folks ! Especially if you have a tendency to be discouraged by the ‘lack of progress ‘ as far as the numbers are concerned .

Welcome ScottM . I would just say to listen to your body as far as exercise is concerned . Take it easy if you are experiencing pain .

Workingfromthefridge, Yes there is a new weekly thread as you say . i will set it up a bit later this evening . Hope to see you there too PSL68ย !

Back later folks !

• posted by wendleg
    on

I am about to set up the new weekly thread !

• posted by Tulip1
    on

thanks Wendy ๐Ÿ˜

Please log in or register to post a reply.